boydiablo

boydiablo

Feb 22, 2021
Not sure if anyone would care about this but this post has spoilers for Star Trek: Voyager.

Since I have a lot of time on my hands I'm rewatching all of Star Trek. One episode of Voyager seemed like a great representation of what it's like talking with a prolifer. And no, I don't mean the Q suicide one, though that one made me cringe at times. I mean S4E2, with Seven of Nine demanding to be returned to the Borg. Janeway denies the request because she claims Seven isn't in a state to make decisions for herself and the Borg is an "incorrect" choice. The entire conversation comes across basically the same as one between someone who wants to ctb and someone who's convinced it's wrong. Had me ticked off through the whole episode. Way back when I first watched this I definitely thought Janeway was in the right, guess being suicidal really gives you a different perspective on everything lol.

Reactions: LittleBabyNothing, UseItOrLoseIt, DocNo and 1 other person
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
To put it into perspective, if my friend wanted to join ISIS I'd do everything in my power to stop him.
7 wouldn't just be destroying herself, she'd be destroying who knows how many innocent people when the Borg sent her with an army to assimilate a planet.

Reactions: LittleBabyNothing, UseItOrLoseIt, DocNo and 1 other person
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
There's a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode about suicide: "Half a Life". It's quite touching, actually. I'm impressed that they dared to explore such a difficult topic.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, boydiablo, UseItOrLoseIt and 1 other person
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
All the Star Trek series are fundamentally optimistic and evince a deep trust in the dignity, morality and goodness of the species that inhabit our universe, humans especially. The episodes often revolve around questions of justice and equality and there is a true sense of hope and faith in the future of all species.

All the human captains are paragons of justice and honour. I don't recall the exact episode you are referring to, as it's been more than a decade since I watched Voyager, and I haven't really reflected on how suicide is portrayed in Star Strek, but I am inclined to believe the series is probably pro-life, because being pro-life fits in with Gene Roddenberry's view of a universe in which the forces of good win most of the time.

/Arcale out

Last edited:
Reactions: boydiablo and Good4Nothing