Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
recovery section because thats what i was/am trying to do?
or suicide section because thats probably what its going to drive me to?

i recently joined an addiction recovery group. when i first joined it showed a list of rules and it seemed like by the rules i shouldnt be pushed about beliefs i dont share.
i havent made a post yet and after scrolling through the ones there im not sure i want to.

on like every post theres "JUST GIVE YOURSELF TO GOD!!", but... theyre paragraphs.. like.. are you a priest!?
and i can just see me getting kicked out for pointing out that theyre not actually being supportive

and when i asked my bf if id be wrong he just said "idk"
like really? how is claiming to be "supportive" and then making someone feel like they might as well continue their addiction "supportive"? how can you "not know"?

post and risk getting bombarded with bs? idfk... why cant people just fucking do what they say. if youre gonna call yourself "supportive" then maybe..idk.. be supportive.
i swear humans need to read a dictionary.

• Hugs
Reactions: sadwriter, Praestat_Mori, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 4 others
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I had trouble with this when I explored this as well. Atheist/non-religious groups can be really hard to come by.

• Hugs
Reactions: AInilam and Life_and_Death
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
I had trouble with this when I explored this as well. Atheist/non-religious groups can be really hard to come by.
the worst part is i have no problem with most of them being religious. they have their own posts, post on other peoples posts, not my problem, idc.
just dont do it to mine.

its annoying that i can have respect for 'you', but 'you' lack it for me
it really doesnt have to be the way it is, but every group in existence seems to segregate themselves then wonder why theyre hated, oh..idk (facepalm)
(including us, although thats gotten a little better recently. at least some people can change (eyeroll)) (<- it might sound sarcastic buts its a compliment to the site. its sarcastic to everyone else. just in case someone doesnt pick up on it)

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
It is really unfortunate, I think a lot of these support groups are built off the 12 step program which has religious roots. Even a lot of therapy programs are founded off religious principles, specifically those branching off from Buddhism and other eastern religion. A lot of the dogma is entrenched in belief in a higher power, with no wiggle room for non-theists.

Even if you don't subscribe to a particular religion, a great deal of 12 step rhetoric contains subtext of there being a creator/divine power and for you to put your faith in the idea that there's something bigger than us out there. Obviously, that doesn't sit well at all with a lot of people who are just done with religion completely and cannot believe in anything spiritual anymore, because we've seen enough evidence to the contrary.

It may be hard to find, but seeking out a group that's not full of proselytising and is generally unwelcome of religion/strictly atheist will probably provide better support for you, if there's a hidden agenda for converting people or "spreading the message" it just further isolates vunerable people who cannot physically believe in whatever sermon of the week that's being spouted. I really feel for you, because this new age bullshit has seeped into EVERYTHING

• Hugs
Reactions: Life_and_Death
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
It is really unfortunate, I think a lot of these support groups are built off the 12 step program which has religious roots. Even a lot of therapy programs are founded off religious principles, specifically those branching off from Buddhism and other eastern religion. A lot of the dogma is entrenched in belief in a higher power, with no wiggle room for non-theists.

Even if you don't subscribe to a particular religion, a great deal of 12 step rhetoric contains subtext of there being a creator/divine power and for you to put your faith in the idea that there's something bigger than us out there. Obviously, that doesn't sit well at all with a lot of people who are just done with religion completely and cannot believe in anything spiritual anymore, because we've seen enough evidence to the contrary.

It may be hard to find, but seeking out a group that's not full of proselytising and is generally unwelcome of religion/strictly atheist will probably provide better support for you, if there's a hidden agenda for converting people or "spreading the message" it just further isolates vunerable people who cannot physically believe in whatever sermon of the week that's being spouted. I really feel for you, because this new age bullshit has seeped into EVERYTHING
double reaction :heart:

yeah, thankfully i found and have a 12 step non religious book. but alone is still alone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Hugs
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha
S

Scythe

Lost in a delusion
Sep 5, 2022
Why not try addiction recovery here? There's ton of addicts here, although not all of them are trying to recover. There are people who recovered, you should be able to get help here. Might not be a lot of help, but no bullshit.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Why not try addiction recovery here? There's ton of addicts here, although not all of them are trying to recover. There are people who recovered, you should be able to get help here. Might not be a lot of help, but no bullshit.
honestly? because i feel/notice that i go mostly ignored in comparison to other people/threads. expecting much of anything from here seems/feels like a waste of my time and mental health considering bpd so if i expect a response and dont get it i take the rejection pretty hard. i give up expecting that so i dont have to care much.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
"i didnt want to hear anything about god but people didnt listen to me and now i believe"

everyones different. thats wonderful for you. you try that shit with me and ill kill myself and make you know about it.
YOURE SUPPOSE TO BE A SUPPORT GROUP. SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET A DICTIONARY!!!!

do i need a dictionary? did the definition change? does it mean make peoples life worse now? it must, because thats what "support" people keep f'en doing.

support must mean go kill yourself

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
i love it. im not giving a f about smoking up on day 2 of the new year. all i had to do was have some resemblance of control, but dealing with idiots in a support group that doesnt know the definition of support or respect is really the granular of sugar on top of everything really making me not give a fuck.

im sure somehow people not respecting other peoples beliefs, is somehow my fault because im "responsible for my own actions".

not disagreeing, yes, one is responsible for their own actions, however that doesnt make you magically innocent from the stress youre causing me. thats like saying i shouldnt smoke up because i have to deal with my exhus raping me.
have you ever been under an extreme amount of stress!?

all you have to do, is be respectful of others beliefs, even save your energy for something more important because you dont have to type or say anything, and save a life by keeping your mouth shut?
instead, im sitting here wondering, "why the fuck am i not dead yet?"

yes, my actions are my responsibility. i should be fucking dead. thats an action i can do.
but never forget, it was your actions that pushed me there :kiss:

this is the opposite of support.... i think its suppose to feel warm and welcoming?? how the hell am i suppose to know
recovered people act like theyve never been "sick". if i ever get there... my ears will always be open.. because this is f'en bs

Last edited: