S

SeekingSerenity

Just another lost soul looking for answers
May 20, 2020
I think a lot of it revolves around the fact that suicide makes people uncomfortable. People would much rather say simple cliche sayings and feel good about themselves as opposed to actually giving a fuck about those who are suffering around them

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Lostandlooking, disabledandhopeless and 7 others
ladolcemorte

ladolcemorte

Experienced
May 5, 2019
I have had to restrain myself from trolling all the "suicide prevention" posts that keep popping up on my facebook. I think back when I was trying to recover I must have gone to some of the suicide prevention and mental health websites and now their stuff just keeps popping up everywhere. All this "reach out", "there is hope", "let's talk", "it gets better". I just want to respond with a giant "GO F*** YOURSELF"

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, NoneMoreNegative, cyberlordsumit and 4 others
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
I think a lot of it revolves around the fact that suicide makes people uncomfortable. People would much rather say simple cliche sayings and feel good about themselves as opposed to actually giving a fuck about those who are suffering around them
But it's also because it's all they have. I've found in the discussions I've had with people about suicide, that those cliché statements can be dismantled if you ask one or two more questions in response. Most people are just trained to speak about suicide using those statements. That's why we know them so well. They've never actually *thought* about their validity.

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, muffin222, Stick and 4 others
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
The Samaritans are awful to work for.
I had a hangover and tried to ring in sick, but they ended up talking me out of it

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, NoneMoreNegative, Stick and 3 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I have had to restrain myself from trolling all the "suicide prevention" posts that keeps popping up on my facebook. I think back when I was trying to recover I must have gone to some of the suicide prevention and mental health websites and now their stuff just keeps popping up everywhere. All this "reach out", "there is hope", "let's talk", "it gets better". I just want to respond with a giant "GO F*** YOURSELF"
Those FB posts make me want to sprinkle a bit of NaN0² on them.

Giphy 5

• Hugs
Reactions: cyberlordsumit, Iwanttooffmyself, disabledandhopeless and 8 others
Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
I feel like a more accurate description of it would be to call it "Virtue Signaling Month". Celebrate by announcing to the world how much you care and want to help suicidal people, while actually doing nothing (unless you can lock them away for a while to make a profit, then by all means, do that)!

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, NoneMoreNegative, charlottewilts and 12 others
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
"Call this number so we can have you sectioned and make a ton of money doing it!"
Its So true. The samaritans uk ceo earns approx 140 000 pounds per year.
Im not saying they should do it for free but it makes you wonder why they are in the job.
It seems to be a trend with a lot of the big charities. They are being run like corporations and a lot of people are making a lot of money out of peoples misery.

Reactions: NoneMoreNegative, Élégie, _Minsk and 2 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Im not saying they should do it for free but it makes you wonder why they are in the job.
It seems to be a trend with a lot of the big charities. They are being run like corporations and a lot of people are making a lot of money out of peoples misery.
So called "charities" are among the highest earning organizations. Their CEOs are literally the top paid in the world.

• Hmph!
  • Wow
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, NoneMoreNegative, TAW122 and 2 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Why not be honest and call it "Guilt Trip Month"?

Probably too diffuse, people would guilt trip about everything and those who suicide wouldn't be directly targeted.

This is better: "Shame Suicide Month."

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, NoneMoreNegative, charlottewilts and 8 others
Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
So called "charities" are among the highest earning organizations. Their CEOs are literally the top paid in the world.

That doesn't seem very charitable of them at all does it?

Reactions: SeekingSerenity and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
No it doesn't, not at all. But you don't want to actually solve the problem if you're profiting off of it now do you?

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, cyberlordsumit, Élégie and 2 others
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
I don't disagree at all with your statement about charities that pay seemingly super high salaries to certain employees, particularly executive directors. That being said, £140K pounds doesn't actually seem that high to me for the salary of a director of such a large organization. Then again, maybe I've just lived in the US for too long, where CEO salaries are downright unjust.

Reactions: Stick, Élégie, Emily_Numb and 2 others
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
The uk charity for war veterans help the heroes seemed like a great cause.
I stopped donating when i found out the CEO travels around in a fucking helicopter !
I don't disagree at all with your statement about charities that pay seemingly super high salaries to certain employees, particularly executive directors. That being said, £140K pounds doesn't actually seem that high to me for the salary of a director of such a large organization. Then again, maybe I've just lived in the US for too long, where CEO salaries are downright unjust.
Yeah its a difficult one. I used to argue with my brother about it. His argument was something like....charities need to get the top ceo s in as the good ones will generate more income and have more of an impact on the organisation. And to get the top ceo s it wont be cheap.
I suppose thats right but it just feels like big charities and big business are becoming very similar and to me charities were more about emotion and care than money.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: cyberlordsumit, Emily_Numb, GoodPersonEffed and 2 others
I

ilovenightmares

Alcohol is my medication
Jul 4, 2020
Where you seen that type of post, how many connections do you have on there, and how many of those connections made a post like that.

Call it virtue signalling, cliché lines, not actually giving a fuck, whatever. But maybe, there's someone who posted that because they do care, they care about you specifically and it saddens them what you're going through, but, they don't know you, they wont and couldn't know you, so they make this type of post in the only effort they seen how to reach out to you... Wouldn't you prefer that over someone not caring about you at all?

Nah I'm jk it's just another social trend for likes and they would totally regret or even delete that post once listening to our sorry asses after a few messages.

• Love
Reactions: charlottewilts, woxihuanni, cyberlordsumit and 7 others
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
Where you seen that type of post, how many connections do you have on there, and how many of those connections made a post like that.

Call it virtue signalling, cliché lines, not actually giving a fuck, whatever. But maybe, there's someone who posted that because they do care, they care about you specifically and it saddens them what you're going through, but, they don't know you, they wont and couldn't know you, so they make this type of post in the only effort they seen how to reach out to you... Wouldn't you prefer that over someone not caring about you at all?

Nah I'm jk it's just another social trend for likes and they would totally regret or even delete that post once listening to our sorry asses after a few messages.
I see it on Twitter. And no connections any more lol cause they've either all muted me after my last suicide attempt or they just don't want to engage with me at all anymore (again, after my last attempt) :pfff: :pfff: :pfff: :pfff: It would actually be comical if it didn't upset me.

• Love
Reactions: cyberlordsumit and Stick
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
So... let's take the next step. Let's make October Suicide Advocacy Month. We can engage people in discussions about suicide and argue our point. They've probably never heard anyone argue against them in the matter. They'd probably be ill-prepared. Let's change some minds, people!

*sigh* If only we could. :-(
Thats acrually not a bad idea but we simply wouldnt get the coverage from the media. Ive actuallly told a friend that im pro choice and in fairness when he actually listened he agreed with my point.
Like GPEs post suggested, there is still so much shame and guilt around suicide. In this day and age when we are supposed to be the most tolerant we have ever been to peoples viewpoints and differences.

Reactions: Stick, Élégie, GoodPersonEffed and 1 other person
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
I feel like a more accurate description of it would be to call it "Virtue Signaling Month". Celebrate by announcing to the world how much you care and want to help suicidal people, while actually doing nothing (unless you can lock them away for a while to make a profit, then by all means, do that)!
Amen to this!

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
There's a time I might have posted something for Shame Suicide Month.

I used to be very vocally anti-suicide because I had a boyfriend in high school suicide with no warning signs and no note. I knew what it's like to be left behind, so to speak, and I was very wounded and traumatized by it. Anyone who considered suicide, I went on the defensive with them. I indeed thought it was selfish at worst, unwilling to seek and engage with resources at best. I think that a lot of so-called pro-lifers are such because they've been traumatized and blame suicide. That's why I'm now calling it Shame Suicide Month. It's kind of like the "war on drugs" that demonizes drugs and those who do them, and it hasn't stopped shit.

Still, because of my experience, I have compassion for many who are anti-suicide because they are ignorant about what psych wards and institutions are like, how controlling psychiatry and psychology are, and how much they promise versus how much they harm or, at best, how little they often are able to provide. I've had some great, truly impactful therapy experiences, and I've experienced serious, blatant abuse by psychiatry and psychology as well, and everything in between. I also stopped being controlling, and became all-around pro-choice, not just about suicide but about self-determination, before I ever knew about this website or the ones that preceded it. Trying to stop people and not understand them, and not recognize their autonomy and right to do as they choose for themselves is codependency, which is crazy-making for both parties and is an attempt to control another rather than deal with and take ownership for managing one's own discomfort when they don't agree with another's actions or choices.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, cyberlordsumit, less than and 7 others
A

adios

May 13, 2020
If more people weren't so blind sided by a lot of the pro life propaganda out there(all the simple phrases and such), and it wasn't all they were ever taught, most would likely agree with us. A lot of times it takes one conversation with a person(besides professionals) to convince them that your life isn't worth it.
There's a time I might have posted something for Shame Suicide Month.

I used to be very vocally anti-suicide because I had a boyfriend in high school suicide with no warning signs and no note. I knew what it's like to be left behind, so to speak, and I was very wounded and traumatized by it. Anyone who considered suicide, I went on the defensive with them. I indeed thought it was selfish at worst, unwilling to seek and engage with resources at best. I think that a lot of so-called pro-lifers are such because they've been traumatized and blame suicide. That's why I'm now calling it Shame Suicide Month. It's kind of like the "war on drugs" that demonizes drugs and those who do them, and it hasn't stopped shit.

Still, because of my experience, I have compassion for many who are anti-suicide because they are ignorant about what psych wards and institutions are like, how controlling psychiatry and psychology are, and how much they promise versus how much they harm or, at best, how little they often are able to provide. I've had some great, truly impactful therapy experiences, and I've experienced serious, blatant abuse by psychiatry and psychology as well, and everything in between. I also stopped being controlling, and became all-around pro-choice, not just about suicide but about self-determination, before I ever knew about this website or the ones that preceded it. Trying to stop people and not understand them, and not recognize their autonomy and right to do as they choose for themselves is codependency, which is crazy-making for both parties and is an attempt to control another rather than deal with and take ownership for managing one's own discomfort when they don't agree with another's actions or choices.
This is so true. I understand where people are coming from sometimes but they still shouldn't feel they have a say(in my opinion).

Reactions: cyberlordsumit and Stick
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019

You actually got me then lol.
I think there should be rules to force the poster to show they care.
Anyone who posts about suicide awareness should be willing and able to let a suicidal person live with them for a month and cannot say no to the first taker.

• Love
Reactions: Sarahlynn, Iwanttooffmyself, Élégie and 2 others
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
Anyone who posts about suicide awareness should be willing and able to let a suicidal person live with them for a month and cannot say no to the first taker.
That would be funny :pfff: :pfff: I reckon people would all of a sudden not be that passionate about suicide prevention:pfff:

Reactions: Lost in a Dream, cyberlordsumit, Lostandlooking and 2 others
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
It shouldn't take one month out of the year for people to take notice of others suffering and suddenly want to help. People feel depressed and suicidal 24/7.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, NoneMoreNegative, less than and 9 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
This thread is why I love this site so much. I've never seen so many reasonable people be so willing to call out virtue signaling of any kind. :hug:

I don't have anything else to add, pretty much anything I'd say about this topic seems to have already been said.

• Love
Reactions: cyberlordsumit, disabledandhopeless, Mm80 and 2 others
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
So... let's take the next step. Let's make October Suicide Advocacy Month. We can engage people in discussions about suicide and argue our point. They've probably never heard anyone argue against them in the matter. They'd probably be ill-prepared. Let's change some minds, people!
Thats acrually not a bad idea but we simply wouldnt get the coverage from the media. Ive actuallly told a friend that im pro choice and in fairness when he actually listened he agreed with my point.
Like GPEs post suggested, there is still so much shame and guilt around suicide. In this day and age when we are supposed to be the most tolerant we have ever been to peoples viewpoints and differences.
Still, because of my experience, I have compassion for many who are anti-suicide because they are ignorant about what psych wards and institutions are like, how controlling psychiatry and psychology are, and how much they promise versus how much they harm or, at best, how little they often are able to provide. I've had some great, truly impactful therapy experiences, and I've experienced serious, blatant abuse by psychiatry and psychology as well, and everything in between.
I think GPE would be an outstanding advocate for the movement, due to their experiences, intellect, and eloquence!

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: less than, Lostandlooking, Mm80 and 2 others
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
That would be funny :pfff: :pfff: I reckon people would all of a sudden not be that passionate about suicide prevention:pfff:
Lol just a bit. Some poor bastard puts an innocent post on social media then gets stuck with me for a month lol

• Love
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020

Let's start Walk Your Talk month. Anyone who has posted a virtue signal for a cause over the past 12 months must do something active for each cause for the whole month. Some folks are going to have to take the whole month off work. They'll have suicidal folks sleeping on their couches and eating their food, they'll be rescuing sea turtles, they'll be walking for breast cancer research...they may even have to travel to the sea turtles and pay for the travel of the suicidal folk who will be sharing their Airbnb, and walk all night wearing pink. They'll never get any rest and they'll become suicidal too.

• Love
Reactions: woxihuanni, Iwanttooffmyself, less than and 8 others
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
Lol just a bit. Some poor bastard puts an innocent post on social media then gets stuck with me for a month lol
Same lol they'd probably kill me themselves :pfff: :pfff:
Let's start Walk Your Talk month. Anyone who has posted a virtue signal for a cause over the past 12 months must do something active for each cause for the whole month. Some folks are going to have to take the whole month off work. They'll have suicidal folks sleeping on their couches and eating their food, they'll be rescuing sea turtles, they'll be walking for breast cancer research...they may even have to travel to the sea turtles and pay for the travel of the suicidal folk who will be sharing their Airbnb, and walk all night wearing pink. They'll never get any rest and they'll become suicidal too.
:pfff::pfff::pfff::pfff::pfff:

Reactions: Mm80
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
I think GFE would be an outstanding advocate for the movement, due to their experiences, intellect, and eloquence!
[/QUOTE
Couldnt agree more.
Thanks for the personal insight too GPE. I think sometimes it becomes a bit us and them with pro lifers, when everybody has their own reasons.
Haha brilliant especially the sea turtles lol

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
I think that my brain is fucked up and I'll feel suicidal for the rest of my life or till I'll do it. No matter what people tell me (it will get better. etc those are just words and words are only words. You need to move, take action if you want to improve your life)

• Hugs
Reactions: cyberlordsumit and Mm80
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Im gonna totally contradict myself i actually think that attempting suicide should be an illegal and punishable offence again.
The punishment for it should be getting sentenced to death.

• Love
Reactions: cyberlordsumit, disabledandhopeless, DyingAlf and 2 others