Darkdreamer001

Darkdreamer001

Student
Jul 17, 2018
I have had a bad therapist before. I was doing some soul searching into my wife's affair to figure out what possibly went wrong. This lady flipped the whole scenario and was telling me I was being the victim and how I was attempting to make this about myself and that I wasn't thinking about my wife's feelings. One of the worst experiences I think I've ever had involving therapy. I was so mad I was tapping my foot probably as fast as I could. She asked tell me what you're thinking? I told her it'd be in my best interest to leave this situation before I say something that could possibly lead to me getting in trouble. She had the audacity to be like well I hope everything works out. The last thing I said to the therapist was that I hope she doesn't see someone who views a meeting with her as a life or death situation. That I hope she doesn't treat them like I was treated and they end up killing themselves because you failed to do the very thing you signed up to do. My therapist called me to apologize about the encounter with this therapist. I guess this wasn't the first time her therapy sessions were awful and she was fired.
I had the same thing happen to me the difference was I went on a deep soul searching vacation and went to Sedona, AZ. I get there and it's beautiful and for the most part the people are nice. I got to talk to different spiritual people. On one of my sessions I had to talk with some kind of energy healer. When I met her I got some strange vibes from her but I went ahead anyways. Personally, I don't really believe in it but I'm so desperate for help that I'll try just about anything. So, I get there and she looks at me like she wants to hurry up and get it over with. I told her how I was getting bullied at work and some other things going on and it seemed to go right over her head. The meeting wasn't healing at all. I didn't have to tell her that felt suicidal, it's pretty obvious that I'm hurting inside. She was rude but I still remained polite. I know that everyone isn't like that but a little curtsey can go long way.

TheLostCause

TheLostCause

Falling Apart
Nov 7, 2020
Ive had people tell me the exact same thing 'Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem'. Its not, its a permanent problem, i have personality disorders, yes i could improve a little but ultimately they are never going away. They are going to be with me for the rest of my life, i can't get away from them. Sounds pretty permanent to me.

Reactions: Gnip
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem."

This is at best a weak attempt to argue against something that may be rational for the person who is considering suicide. For example if a person is terminally ill and is facing a long painful death. How cruel would this be to say to a person with Multiple Sclerosis?

This phrase at best gives insight into the credibility and indolence of the person using it.

Observe their reaction when you reply with, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

It may help discern what their position is on your personal struggle.

I find myself resenting this phrase the more it's used around me. Consider it a micro-aggression on the tiniest scale. It's not even covert. Then add up all these tiny occurrences and one is left feeling more helpless than hopeful.

Excuse my firmness on this matter. I find it triggering as it has been used as a weapon against me far too often with negative results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnip, Symbiote and InterstateFlowers
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
My therapist told me this today. Like what do pro-lifers think? That life is permanent, that we live forever? Life is a temporary problem. I tried to tell my therapist; it didn't go well. She told me I don't want to get better. It's not that. It's just a lot of bullshit pro-lifers spit out is bull shit. Anyone above an IQ of 30 can figure that out. Anyways, she threatened to hospitalize me, and I about told her to go fuck herself. Fucking mental police wanting to lock suffering people up. Fuck therapists.
It sounds like you drew the short straw in the Therapist game. Are there others?

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
[QUOTE="Gnip, post: 976347, member: 22733

Therapists are nothing more at best than paid "friends. Prostitutes are far better and much more honorable, because they actually have to do their jobs, or they won't have any work.
[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I wrote to my recent culture (therapist) who turned out to have zero compassion and only wanted money. I said therapists are like sex workers. They only 'care' when you are paying for it. I wish I never paid him anything.

Reactions: Gnip
Lightflicker

Lightflicker

Looking for that final sunset ⛅
Nov 13, 2020
Everything every
day the world shows less humanity. I'm so sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: it's_all_a_game and Jean Améry
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
Everything day the world shows less humanity.

Indeed. And yet it's supposed to be a complete mystery why so many people choose to off themselves...

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Lost in a Dream, demuic and 1 other person
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
I really hate that phrase because it makes big assumptions as to what someone is going through. My problems are not temporary. If they were, I would not be considering suicide. How detached from reality are these people?

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Lost in a Dream, ADruinedmylife and 6 others
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
They are right tho.

Suicide is a permanent solution to all my temporary problems and a way to never have to deal with any 'temporary' problem again, ever.

I keep saying this, but pro-lifers sold me on suicide. All of their arguments can be used to justify, validate and be sure about my decision.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream and Wayfaerer
F

fly away

It’s enough
Oct 28, 2020
The line "Suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary problem " is a standard saying taught to Crisis Center/Suicide Hotline workers, to be used to help deescalate a situation involving a caller who wants to or has started to ctb.
As a former crisis counselor who has wanted to ctb for almost 50 years, I could never say that sentence. To me, it's just not true. Although there have been certain periods of my life when I was "ok", most of it has been a living hell of hospitals, therapists, more meds, ECT, Ketamine treatments, etc. etc. Anyone who has felt the horror and desperation that most of us live with on a daily basis, know that statement is meaningless and worse, extremely invalidating to hear. To me ctb takes an enormous amount of courage to complete. I'm still in the planning process, because I don't want to screw up again. But no one can tell me that 50 (out of 60) yrs of hell is temporary.

Lightflicker

Lightflicker

Looking for that final sunset ⛅
Nov 13, 2020
Indeed. And yet it's supposed to be a complete mystery why so many people choose to off themselves...

I always thought suicide is last act of self love anyone can do. To get away from this reality of destruction. To feel no more and to not exist in this madness and the search of despair of temporary happiness.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Gnip, pthnrdnojvsc and 2 others
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
I hate this platitude as well. Not all problems are temporary, sadly. Some may not be permanent, but to rectify them and recover from the effects of them would so time-consuming, so tiring, and so painful that it doesn't seem worth the struggle and the effort.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Gnip, pthnrdnojvsc and 2 others
_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
People who say that as a bad thing annoy me. Like yeah, life is temporary. Life is my problem. : )

Reactions: Lost in a Dream
H

Hermann

Nov 10, 2020
Temporary problems tend to accumulate though or become chronic. A bad childhood is temporary problem, but with lasting effects. So do health conditions.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Darkdreamer001, Lost in a Dream and 4 others
FarAcrossTheWater

FarAcrossTheWater

Experienced
Sep 4, 2020
Your therapist is terrible then. All the therapists I have seen accept my inevitable wish but hope to lessen the pain rather than spew cliches. Find a better therapist.

B

blvck

May 12, 2018
I wish ppl wouldn't say that. its so cliche and lacks empathy or feeling.

Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
Let's put into perspective just what the advent of psychotherapy has actually done to the human condition:
It sounds like you drew the short straw in the Therapist game. Are there others?

In my extensive experience, there are no long straws in the therapist game...:

res_dedeb61bf23d8250968420f85f890865_full.jpg

Gromit-CTB

Gromit-CTB

time for ctb
Nov 14, 2020
Life is a permanent problem so suicide is a permanent perfect answer

Reactions: Darkdreamer001
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

<3 Message me to trade music <3
Nov 14, 2020
If my bike got a flat tyre which is only a temporary problem but I could fix it permanently I think I would very much like to do that.
I know this is not a actual critique on the saying but it has no merit anyway so is not worth deconstructing etc

Reactions: StringPuppet
P

PDAnnie2610

Waiting for my bus.
Oct 27, 2019
Fifteen years don't feel temporary. Though I've been miserable for nearly 2 decades and frankly, it's a life sentence.

• Hugs
Reactions: Fragile