E

Emilyshe1

Jul 3, 2020
I live with my mother. I have been ready to die for a long time. Long story short , she noticed I was depressed and sent me to the emergency room. I am waiting to go to a psychiatric hospital, because I couldn't talk them out of it. For those that have been to U.S psychiatric hospitals...is there any way I can CTB there? I'm desperate

• Aww..
Reactions: Deleted member 17331
NotMeantForHere

NotMeantForHere

I want to go like Marilyn Monroe
Feb 6, 2020
I'm sorry but I've been to one and there's really no way to do it. Sorry..

• Love
Reactions: autumnal, disabledandhopeless, Deleted member 17331 and 1 other person
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I know that it occasionally happens, but I don't know the methods. The units are set up so that it's very challenging, and there's little privacy.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 17331 and Emilyshe1
faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
Yes, that is possible, but depends on circumstances. Only a few methods will be available and a very small amount of time. And the toilet probably will be the only place. However, adds are 9/1, is it worth risking when you know they will do everything to save you even if this implies you will have some permanent damage?

Reactions: Anonymoussn, autumnal, Meditation guide and 2 others
L

Living sucks

Forced out of life before I wanted to leave
Mar 27, 2020
Firstly, They have to do a 72 hour hold to evaluate you first. If you play your cards right and say all the right things and act like you're fine you could be out of there in less than three days. If you give them more reasons to hold you then they will petition the court to keep you longer and then you could be there for a couple of weeks to a couple months.
You also will most likely have a roommate and nurses and technicians walking the floor and checking rooms every 15 minutes.

Reactions: SuicidalDream, autumnal, Meditation guide and 4 others
AngelGirl

AngelGirl

Cat
May 18, 2019
I live with my mother. I have been ready to die for a long time. Long story short , she noticed I was depressed and sent me to the emergency room. I am waiting to go to a psychiatric hospital, because I couldn't talk them out of it. For those that have been to U.S psychiatric hospitals...is there any way I can CTB there? I'm desperate

When I was hospitalized I was thinking of something like having SN in another container and have it smuggled to me. I was thinking of putting SN in a skin toner bottle at the time. And have your mom bring it to you or something.
I also read that Jeffrey Epstein used bed sheets to hang himself when he was in prison. Technically that should work too.

I'm really sorry for you you have to go to the hospital against your will. I was hospitalized against my will for suicidal ideation and it felt like being in hell. I really wanted to do it when I was at the hospital.

You will be discharged faster if you participate in many group activities, behave, comply with them. Don't argue with medical professionals. The medical professionals there are mostly full of shit and not really trying to make you feel better but just be friendly and nice with them cause you want to be discharged asap.

• Hugs
Reactions: Frt, Meditation guide, AJ. and 1 other person
AngelGirl

AngelGirl

Cat
May 18, 2019
Firstly, They have to do a 72 hour hold to evaluate you first. If you play your cards right and say all the right things and act like you're fine you could be out of there in less than three days. If you give them more reasons to hold you then they will petition the court to keep you longer and then you could be there for a couple of weeks to a couple months.
You also will most likely have a roommate and nurses and technicians walking the floor and checking rooms every 15 minutes.
The 72 hour window thing is I think tricky because if they decide to hospitalize the person it will be involuntary hospitalization, instead of voluntary hospitalization. When you are hospitalized involuntarily, the hospitals just make you stay longer cause they evil and want to make lots of money from holding on to a patient longer. And if it goes to a court, the process might take forever, and as a result it will take longer for them to discharge the person.

If this ever happens, it is extremely unfortunate, but the best thing one can do is to hospitalize oneself voluntarily, and comply with all their bullshit.

Reactions: Frt and Emilyshe1
E

Emilyshe1

Jul 3, 2020
Yes, that is possible, but depends on circumstances. Only a few methods will be available and a very small amount of time. And the toilet probably will be the only place. However, adds are 9/1, is it worth risking when you know they will do everything to save you even if this implies you will have some permanent damage?
I guess it's not worth it :(

faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
I guess it's not worth it :(
*odds
Well, that is up to you. Technically you can give a try to recover as well. Patience is better than risk in this case.

Reactions: Deleted member 17331
L

Living sucks

Mar 27, 2020
Don't try to CTB in the hospital because it will land you a very long stay and you will not be successful because there's just too many people around and you won't have time.

just smile and eat and tell them everything's fine take the meds they give you and you'll be out in no time.

Reactions: caligula, SuicidalDream, autumnal and 3 others
AngelGirl

AngelGirl

Cat
May 18, 2019
Don't try to CTB in the hospital because it will land you a very long stay and you will not be successful because there's just too many people around and you won't have time.

just smile and eat and tell them everything's fine take the meds they give you and you'll be out in no time.
Yeah, if you ever get hospitalized, you should try to be discharged as soon as possible. It's really not a good place for suicidal people

Reactions: Frt, Meditation guide and Emilyshe1
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020

I agree with all of that except for taking the meds. In fact, I was kicked out of a voluntary stay for refusing meds.

Reactions: disabledandhopeless, Emilyshe1 and Deleted member 17331
L

Living sucks

Mar 27, 2020
On the temporary 72 hour evaluation the more you comply with the faster you get out. But if you are already on medication, they will Probly just give you your normal meds,but if they don't feel you are a danger to yourself then they will let you go. It's a game

Reactions: SuicidalDream and Meditation guide
AngelGirl

AngelGirl

Cat
May 18, 2019
On the temporary 72 hour evaluation the more you comply with the faster you get out. But if you are already on medication, they will Probly just give you your normal meds,but if they don't feel you are a danger to yourself then they will let you go. It's a game
So if you are already on meds you are more likely to be admitted?
I seriously considered that when I was hospitalized but the psychiatrists there and the laywer talked me out of it. Telling me that by doing that I'm only increasing my chances of staying there longer whereas if I just comply I won't have to stay for too long. I wonder if anyone here has actually had 72 hour period before hospitalization?

disabledandhopeless

disabledandhopeless

Enlightened
Mar 1, 2020
I was in a similar situation. I pretended I was fine and lied to the staff that I'm not suicidal. I got out in less than a day.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lost in a Dream, caligula, SuicidalDream and 2 others
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020

As others have said, it is generally very difficult to suicide in psychiatric hospitals due to them being totally designed, engineered and staffed in such a way as to prevent suicides. And even if you do manage to attempt somehow, you run a high risk of being discovered (due to staff supervision) and rescued (due to proximity of medical staff and equipment). And if you do attempt, it will be taken as an indication of your illness and risk level, and you will be held for much longer.

It's generally easiest just to play the game and make the most of your time there. Behave well, say and do the right things, and your stay will be as short as it can be. Plus, a lot of people do find either the hospitalisation or the medications can be beneficial.

[...] When you are hospitalized involuntarily, the hospitals just make you stay longer cause they evil and want to make lots of money from holding on to a patient longer. [...]

That's just a ridiculous statement, with absolutely no basis in truth. There will always be more potential patients than available beds in almost any public psychiatric system, and so the hospitals have no financial incentive for 'holding on to a patient longer'.

You may well disagree with the entire notion of involuntary hospitalisation, or believe that psychiatric hospitals keep people too long because of poor clinical judgements. Both those positions are at least arguable. But please don't try to suggest there is some conspiratorial financial agenda. That's just tinfoil stuff, and sets a poor and distorted example for any forum members who may genuinely need inpatient psychiatric care.

Tinfoil

Last edited:
Reactions: MaisieWilliamsLover
AngelGirl

AngelGirl

Cat
May 18, 2019
As others have said, it is generally very difficult to suicide in psychiatric hospitals due to them being totally designed, engineered and staffed in such a way as to prevent suicides. And even if you do manage to attempt somehow, you run a high risk of being discovered (due to staff supervision) and rescued (due to proximity of medical staff and equipment). And if you do attempt, it will be taken as an indication of your illness and risk level, and you will be held for much longer.

It's generally easiest just to play the game and make the most of your time there. Behave well, say and do the right things, and your stay will be as short as it can be. Plus, a lot of people do find either the hospitalisation or the medications can be beneficial.

That's just a ridiculous statement, with absolutely no basis in truth. There will always be more potential patients than available beds in almost any public psychiatric system, and so the hospitals have no financial incentive for 'holding on to a patient longer'.

You may well disagree with the entire notion of involuntary hospitalisation, or believe that psychiatric hospitals keep people too long because of poor clinical judgements. Both those positions are at least arguable. But please don't try to suggest there is some conspiratorial financial agenda. That's just tinfoil stuff, and sets a poor and distorted example for any forum members who may genuinely need inpatient psychiatric care.

View attachment 38582

Well I was talking emotionally and I was half joking when I said "they evil", same goes for "they want your money". But if people wanted involuntary hospitalization for being suicidal, they wouldn't have come here. People here want to die peacefully. And I also believe that anyone should be able to die peacefully if that's what they are willing to do. Involuntary hospitalization is the exact opposite from that since it stops suicide against one's will. If you think people here need hospitalization, so they can get help they need like you said, maybe you can call 911 and turn them in, or you can try to persuade people into hospitalizing themselves.

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
Well I was talking emotionally and I was half joking when I said "they evil", same goes for "they want your money".

I think if you were genuinely half-joking (and I'm not sure I even believe that), you could have made a better effort to indicate that at the time. There are a lot of vulnerable and inexperienced members on the forum, who might genuinely believe your comments and be influenced to avoid hospital care that may benefit them (or to leave such care prematurely in the misguided belief that the hospital only wants their money).

But if people wanted involuntary hospitalization for being suicidal, they wouldn't have come here. People here want to die peacefully. And I also believe that anyone should be able to die peacefully if that's what they are willing to do. Involuntary hospitalization is the exact opposite from that since it stops suicide against one's will.

Posting on this forum and wanting and/or needing psychiatric hospitalisation are not mutually exclusive. This forum does not aim to exclude psychiatric hospitalisation as an option to be suggested or even strongly recommended. Rather, it aims to provide a freedom of choice for suggestions across a broad range of options, from psychiatric hospitalisation to outpatient therapy to self-help right through to suicide.

If you think people here need hospitalization, so they can get help they need like you said, maybe you can call 911 and turn them in, or you can try to persuade people into hospitalizing themselves.

Please don't conflate my valid criticism of your hospital financial conspiracy theory with my having any kind of broader anti-suicide agenda or a desire to narc or 'turn in' suicidal people. That's a very long bow for you to draw, and a completely false equivalence.

AngelGirl

AngelGirl

Cat
May 18, 2019
I think if you were genuinely half-joking (and I'm not sure I even believe that), you could have made a better effort to indicate that at the time. There are a lot of vulnerable and inexperienced members on the forum, who might genuinely believe your comments and be influenced to avoid hospital care that may benefit them (or to leave such care prematurely in the misguided belief that the hospital only wants their money).

Posting on this forum and wanting and/or needing psychiatric hospitalisation are not mutually exclusive. This forum does not aim to exclude psychiatric hospitalisation as an option to be suggested or even strongly recommended. Rather, it aims to provide a freedom of choice for suggestions across a broad range of options, from psychiatric hospitalisation to outpatient therapy to self-help right through to suicide.

Please don't conflate my valid criticism of your hospital financial conspiracy theory with my having any kind of broader anti-suicide agenda or a desire to narc or 'turn in' suicidal people. That's a very long bow for you to draw, and a completely false equivalence.

1. I said what I said about hospitals money making from making patients stay as a joke. You didn't seem to get it so I made it clear by saying directly that I said "they want money" jokingly. "your hospital financial conspiracy theory"? Here, I seriously hope you are joking on this one. Why are you even continuously holding onto this notion over and over?

2. Although I revoked it, and said it was a joke that I said "they just want to make money", I still have freedom of speech and I can share my opinion. Forums are not only for information but also for opinions. I can still write about whatever I want to on this forum, as long as I don't break the forum rules.
Obviously not everything on this forum is 100% correct. Again, a forum has both information and opinions, It is the responsibility of each individual to take anything they read here with a grain of salt. It is not the responsibility of this forum nor individuals who posted their opinions fault that one person makes a particular decision.
If you are just really into policing spread of misinformation on this forum, I recommend you check out mega threads, or other more popular threads because not every single thing written on mega threads is 100% correct, and it might spread misinformation even more due to their popularity. So that would suit your purpose better. If you really thought it's going to make people into believing that all hospitals are evil and only want to make money so that they will stop seeking medical help whatsoever by one sentence I wrote I think you could be delusional, although I am not a mental health professional and I don't think that was actually the case. I just think you were irritated by something I wrote and you were finding a way to attack me.

3. If any particular individual wants hospitalization, they may do so. It's their right. But if they don't want hospitalization, it should also be their right to refuse hospitalization. People have the right to refuse medical treatment. Even when you are terminally ill, you still have the right to refuse medical treatment, while it is significantly going to increase chances of the person dying. However, if you are suicidal, you are forced into hospitalization against your will, thus involuntary hospitalization. Suicidal people are not given the same kind of right.
Involuntary hospitalization is not the action of actively seeking help. It Is done against their will and there's no autonomy of the individual in this.
@autumnal
Btw if you want to talk more about this, just message me privately, I don't want to spam this thread by arguing with you.

Last edited:
L

Living sucks

Mar 27, 2020
Btw, while i was in the psych hospital I overheard the Dr and nurse talking about a certain patient only having 2 more weeks worth of insurance left to cover their stay. And figuring out how they could discharge them by this time since that patient would obviously not be able to pay out of pocket.

Reactions: Saed