D

Deleted member 65988

Not American but something about these numbers don't surprise me, overall suicide rates worldwide are probably higher too.

Reactions: hhh_, not-2-b-the-answer, Pretty_Damaged1111 and 3 others
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
Yeah, it makes sense for suicide rates to rise so much, life is just getting so unbearable.

• Love
Reactions: hhh_, not-2-b-the-answer, EndJstifiesTheMeans and 7 others
D

Dayrain

Arcanist
Feb 3, 2023
I guess the land of milk and honey isn't quite what it used to be.
Nope. You're right. It's more "the land of the free and the home of the brave" now, I guess.

• Aww..
Reactions: saddestbunny and lachrymost
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
It's more "the land of the free and the home of the brave" now, I guess.
I don't know about all that, either. Freedom is completely relative. Plenty of freedoms have been tempered or suppressed. I'm not sure I have any comment on "brave". I know we like to start a lot of shit around the world, sometimes justified, sometimes not so much. It's hard, or it should be, at least, for the US to go flexing it's might and power and moral superiority when they don't even have their shit house in order.

Yeah, and don't forget the nearly 50,000 that committed suicide were the successful ones. How many more were unsuccessful?

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Prime0, Archness and 2 others
D

Dayrain

Arcanist
Feb 3, 2023
I don't know about all that, either. Freedom is completely relative. Plenty of freedoms have been tempered or suppressed. I'm not sure I have any comment on "brave". I know we like to start a lot of shit around the world, sometimes justified, sometimes not so much. It's hard, or it should be, at least, for the US to go flexing it's might and power and moral superiority when they don't even have their shit house in order.
It was meant to be an allusion on the last line of the national anthem and about the fact that suicide is an act of free will and bravery.

• Aww..
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, saddestbunny and lachrymost
RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
And half of them (55%, that's 26'993 people) are firearms according to this source.

Again, the most accessable and lethal method that's out there and it doesn't nearly get the same backlash as an obscure salt. In fact they're trying to make SN more inaccessable now than firearms and that tells you everything you need to know about the sincerity and authencity of their outrage about these high suicide numbers. They don't care, as long as you die without dignity, painfully and brutally and that's the firefarm method for you. But if there is a method out there, that allows you to die somewhat comfortable and peacefully, they immediately want to get it banned.

But sure, let's fear monger about SN (as one of the most popular suicide methods ever, which I've debunked thoroughly and I can't wait to add the new numbers to my thread as soon as they're published) despite the fact that it's an unknown niche method and of course let's fear monger even more about this forum, right? Let me clue you into something: you don't need a tutorial on how to end your life with a gun. That's the easiest method ever in terms of accessability and practicability and, drum roll, it's socially accepted too. Nobody cares if you commit suicide with a firearm.

So maybe next time - and that's to all the journalists out there that pretend to care so much about suicide - instead of demonizing this forum and the community that depends so much on it, put that effort into going after the NRA instead and try to change some laws. But I guess that's not as easy as trashing a tiny forum like ours, eh? Always punching down, that's the best journalism.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: losing hope, BornByGhosts, XcatnipX and 17 others
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
It was meant to be an allusion on the last line of the national anthem and about the fact that suicide is an act of free will and bravery.
Sorry. I missed your point entirely. Thanks for explaining it (at least to dumb ass me).

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
N

never mind me

Student
Nov 7, 2022
Interesting statistics. But I think that suicide by firearm should be painless, because you die in an instant, if done correctly. The only real problem is the disfigured corpse, if you care about your relatives.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Prime0 and Disappointered
S

sevenkarmas

Student
Oct 10, 2022
Keeping in mind, many deaths are ruled as ODs, when in fact they were suicides. If no note or other confirmation exists and a person dies of a Fentanyl overdose, it's attributed to an accident, not suicide. Same with alcohol and other drugs. The number is probably twice that.

EDIT: I just did a quick search on CDC's website. 380 alcohol related deaths per day.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, kitty_kat, Forever Sleep and 4 others
KowakuNaiNeko

KowakuNaiNeko

Aug 5, 2023
These are rookie numbers. We can do better.

CNN and ABC are just loving the opportunity to post clickbait though. I can't believe ABC didn't even mention that the suicide rate per 100k peaked. That's the actual stat that matters.

Reactions: Lumina, not-2-b-the-answer, alonely and 1 other person
S

Sad Avocado

Those things I've never said
May 27, 2023
this is really sad

Reactions: butterfly3, not-2-b-the-answer and Tobacco
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Keeping in mind, many deaths are ruled as ODs, when in fact they were suicides. If no note or other confirmation exists and a person dies of a Fentanyl overdose, it's attributed to an accident, not suicide. Same with alcohol and other drugs. The number is probably twice that.

EDIT: I just did a quick search on CDC's website. 380 alcohol related deaths per day.
Completely agree. And it would be more in line with how living in the US has become so much more difficult. Not that the world isn't, but this country (US) is and has been going downhill for quite a long time.

MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

sleep deprived and/or drunk
Jul 23, 2023
the news. i never really cared for it much but been reading it the last few years. i guess they don't get paid for it well. sites often make you allow cookies after some click bait. often not updated at all. i have no answer to this either. first thought is that the government should support BUT it can then just turn out to be propaganda and not actual news.
anyone remember a time before climate change when people were worried about human overpopulation? then covid came. kinda screwed us.

Last edited:
  • Informative
exiled

exiled

i gave so many signs
Jun 17, 2023
It does not matter how much you are supportive of those who want to end their life. This statistic should absolutely scare and sadden you. Being from the US, I am so devastated that our mental health system has failed so many of us. It really is just that. Reposting a hotline for suicide on your Facebook timeline is turning out to have ...you guessed it... ZERO impact on people. Therapy, psych wards, psychiatrists. The profession that is supposed to have the utmost level of compassion is slowly beginning to become just a job. Mental health care workers are burnt out, and I feel that the newer wave of social workers and therapists are working from a textbook perspective rather than a human perspective.

The world is coming to such a scary, scary point. Capitalism is more important than human lives, boundaries have become an excuse to disengage, and the word "suicide" is shamed and stigmatized so much so that someone would rather lose another person than grant them the time of day to try and be there. Too many factors, too many people with chaos and trauma, and such little beneficial resources. I am so tired of being given a phone number or the name of an organization in my area that absolutely has zero idea what they are doing to help. We have to do better.

• Love
Reactions: losing hope, butterfly3, Tobacco and 3 others
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
Nearly 50,000 Americans died by suicide in 2022, a record-high number: CDC.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/50000...de-2022-record-high-number/story?id=102170665

In full disclosure, I'm a resident of the US.
It's so sad. I also think some of them aren't reported as suicide. They just assume they are just overdoses in the case of fentinyal. Even those who are addicted to drugs may overdose on purpose just to get out.
There have been many actors/people in the industry that have died from overdoses. People seem to be more accepting of an overdose than suicide. I don't get it, either way they are gone.
I did skim through the report. They suddenly over the last few years want to discuss mental health, NOT the reasons people choose to end it. Some is mental health but I believe more of it has to do with life circumstances and NOT wanting to stay around any longer.
Why would anyone want to live an entire life in poverty or just above it.
There is also how minorities are treated. Killing someone because of the color of their skin.
Making anti trans/lgbtq legislation. One of the founders of fixthe26 was the one who's son ended his life.
A young Gay Man from TEXAS. I am sorry he felt he should do this. I'm sure if society wasn't as homophobic there he might still be alive. Yet we are blamed because he found information here to CTB.
If everything was good he wouldn't have been on here. Maybe if I ever cross to the other side I will give him a hug.

Sorry I shouldn't have gone on a rant, I just hate how society thinks they can fuck with people, pay them shitty wages and expect people to want to be alive.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Tobacco, Lumina, kitty_kat and 5 others
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
but I believe more of it has to do with life circumstances and NOT wanting to stay around any longer.
They don't want to talk about this, as any "fixes" are much more elusive.

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Rogue Proxy
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
Nearly 50,000 Americans died by suicide in 2022, a record-high number: CDC.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/50000...de-2022-record-high-number/story?id=102170665

In full disclosure, I'm a resident of the US.
Like I've said here probably too many times there's a loneliness crisis in America today. Combine that with a deceptively bad economy and things are rough...
It does not matter how much you are supportive of those who want to end their life. This statistic should absolutely scare and sadden you. Being from the US, I am so devastated that our mental health system has failed so many of us. It really is just that. Reposting a hotline for suicide on your Facebook timeline is turning out to have ...you guessed it... ZERO impact on people. Therapy, psych wards, psychiatrists. The profession that is supposed to have the utmost level of compassion is slowly beginning to become just a job. Mental health care workers are burnt out, and I feel that the newer wave of social workers and therapists are working from a textbook perspective rather than a human perspective.

The world is coming to such a scary, scary point. Capitalism is more important than human lives, boundaries have become an excuse to disengage, and the word "suicide" is shamed and stigmatized so much so that someone would rather lose another person than grant them the time of day to try and be there. Too many factors, too many people with chaos and trauma, and such little beneficial resources. I am so tired of being given a phone number or the name of an organization in my area that absolutely has zero idea what they are doing to help. We have to do better.
It's tragic that 50,000 people thought they were better off dead in one year so they decided to kill themselves. Yet everyone just closes their eyes to it and pretends it doesn't happen. When it happens to someone they know they act completely shocked. I don't see mental health care workers as burnt out. Some maybe. The psych ward I was released from... The "doctor" barely saw you, the nurses just talked with themselves paid almost no attention to the patients, and etc.... They were downright neglectful. To be honest I think it is just the nature of the mental health field. Some good mental health care workers exist and I have had one or two. All that though don't care and are just there to collect a check. They need more compassion for people which I haven't really seen.
It's so sad. I also think some of them aren't reported as suicide. They just assume they are just overdoses in the case of fentinyal. Even those who are addicted to drugs may overdose on purpose just to get out.
There have been many actors/people in the industry that have died from overdoses. People seem to be more accepting of an overdose than suicide. I don't get it, either way they are gone.
I did skim through the report. They suddenly over the last few years want to discuss mental health, NOT the reasons people choose to end it. Some is mental health but I believe more of it has to do with life circumstances and NOT wanting to stay around any longer.
There is also how minorities are treated. Killing someone because of the color of their skin.
Making anti trans/lgbtq legislation. One of the founders of fixthe26 was the one who's son ended his life.
A young Gay Man from TEXAS. I am sorry he felt he should do this. I'm sure if society wasn't as homophobic there he might still be alive. Yet we are blamed because he found information here to CTB.
If everything was good he wouldn't have been on here. Maybe if I ever cross to the other side I will give him a hug.

Sorry I shouldn't have gone on a rant, I just hate how society thinks they can fuck with people, pay them shitty wages and expect people to want to be alive.
I think you are right. I worked my ass off.... Worked through university graduated, worked, went to medical school. where I was the victim of a crime that 0 people wanted to help me with... Now I am virtually unemployable, the only jobs I can get I could've gotten in high school, its just tragic honestly. I have quite a bit of education that is literally worthless. It's definitely a poor/wealthy thing. I mean look those that were wealthy during COVID enriched themselves while others suffered.

It's tragic that 50,000 people thought they were better off dead in one year so they decided to kill themselves. Yet everyone just closes their eyes to it and pretends it doesn't happen. When it happens to someone they know they act completely shocked. I don't see mental health care workers as burnt out. Some maybe. The psych ward I was released from... The "doctor" barely saw you, the nurses just talked with themselves paid almost no attention to the patients, and etc.... They were downright neglectful. To be honest I think it is just the nature of the mental health field. Some good mental health care workers exist and I have had one or two. All that though don't care and are just there to collect a check. They need more compassion for people which I haven't really seen.

I think you are right. I worked my ass off.... Worked through university graduated, worked, went to medical school. where I was the victim of a crime that 0 people wanted to help me with... Now I am virtually unemployable, the only jobs I can get I could've gotten in high school, its just tragic honestly. I have quite a bit of education that is literally worthless. It's definitely a poor/wealthy thing. I mean look those that were wealthy during COVID enriched themselves while others suffered.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Tobacco, not-2-b-the-answer and Archness
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Like I've said here probably too many times there's a loneliness crisis in America today. Combine that with a deceptively bad economy and things are rough...
For far too many.

It's tragic that 50,000 people thought they were better off dead in one year
PLUS, the UNsuccessfuls, PLUS the ones classified as "accidents" that really weren't.

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Prime0
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
For far too many.

PLUS, the UNsuccessfuls, PLUS the ones classified as "accidents" that really weren't.
I was looking for the attempted rate and found this article https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/n...says/507-4a3472d0-e1fe-4863-9049-02c7e2a5644b ... Everyone they set up a phone number. That will solve absolutely everything.... Here is an article for drugs, alcohol, or suicide deaths for 2021 https://www.tfah.org/report-details/pain-in-the-nation-2023/ . nearly 210,000 deaths. Per the CDC Suicide was responsible for 48,183 deaths in 2021, which is about one death every 11 minutes. The number of people who think about or attempt suicide is even higher. In 2021, an estimated 12.3 million American adults seriously thought about suicide, 3.5 million planned a suicide attempt, and 1.7 million attempted suicide. That's wild that 1.7 million people attempted suicide in 2021. Meaning 1.7 million people decided they would rather be dead then live...

• Wow
  • Aww..
Reactions: Tobacco, not-2-b-the-answer and KarmaBus
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
an estimated 12.3 million American adults seriously thought about suicide
That amount should make the powers-that-be cringe in their panties that something can be SO WRONG as to make that many people think about checking out. Yet, their only answer is to do things to thwart people's attempts, not find out the root cause of why people feel the need to CTB and do things to fix that. The truth is they don't have any idea how to fix the problem. It's like blaming the guns for all the shootings.

Meaning 1.7 million people decided they would rather be dead then live...
Doesn't surprise me one single bit. It's palpable. You can feel the problem all around.

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, offbalance, Archness and 2 others
Stormy Raine

Stormy Raine

Quietly counting down the days, hours, minutes..
Apr 7, 2023
I only wish those people left a blueprint for us, I'm tired of trying and terrified of firearms. Those numbers are incredibly high, I'm shocked.

• Hugs
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
That amount should make the powers-that-be cringe in their panties that something can be SO WRONG as to make that many people think about checking out. Yet, their only answer is to do things to thwart people's attempts, not find out the root cause of why people feel the need to CTB and do things to fix that. The truth is they don't have any idea how to fix the problem. It's like blaming the guns for all the shootings.

Doesn't surprise me one single bit. It's palpable. You can feel the problem all around.
It honestly should that's an enormous number. To put it in perspective 11 states have smaller populations then 1.7 million and only 6 states have a bigger population then the 12.3 million. You would think like you said the powers at be would care and try to fix it.... I don't think they are attempting to fix it honestly.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
It honestly should that's an enormous number. To put it in perspective 11 states have smaller populations then 1.7 million and only 6 states have a bigger population then the 12.3 million. You would think like you said the powers at be would care and try to fix it.... I don't think they are attempting to fix it honestly.
I don't think there are fixes for everything that comprises the "human condition". I think they all know that.

• Love
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
I don't think there are fixes for everything that comprises the "human condition". I think they all know that.
No of course not but it is possible to find out why and address the major causes. For instance loneliness I have mentioned it a lot. How big of a factor is it in suicide? I imagine fairly significant.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
No of course not but it is possible to find out why and address the major causes. For instance loneliness I have mentioned it a lot. How big of a factor is it in suicide? I imagine fairly significant.
I imagine that's right. I'm not sure it's the government's problem to fix people's personal problems, though. Loneliness has always been a major factor in people's lives as they age. The older people get, the more likely it is that friends, spouses, and other family die off. If you happen to have a large family, you're more immune from loneliness. For me, I have no family remaining. I'm it. The end of the road in this family. The last one. And I'm not all that old. Plus, I really don't want to try anymore. Just tired of it all and plain tired, really. There's just nothing to look forward to anymore except getting older, getting a disease of some sort, suffering some major event like a heart attack or stroke. I mean that its it really. I don't want to go through any of that, especially all alone. Guess I'm a coward and that's OK if everyone thinks so.

• Hugs
Reactions: Tobacco and not-2-b-the-answer
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
I imagine that's right. I'm not sure it's the government's problem to fix people's personal problems, though. Loneliness has always been a major factor in people's lives as they age. The older people get, the more likely it is that friends, spouses, and other family die off. If you happen to have a large family, you're more immune from loneliness. For me, I have no family remaining. I'm it. The end of the road in this family. The last one. And I'm not all that old. Plus, I really don't want to try anymore. Just tired of it all and plain tired, really. There's just nothing to look forward to anymore except getting older, getting a disease of some sort, suffering some major event like a heart attack or stroke. I mean that its it really. I don't want to go through any of that, especially all alone. Guess I'm a coward and that's OK if everyone thinks so.
You could make the argument that if 1.7 million people are attempting suicide in a given year that represents something of a crisis. With the amount of deaths being 50k or so. That's roughly the same or greater then flu deaths every year. The Flu receives a lot of funding per year and has even more set aside for a pandemic....

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
You could make the argument that if 1.7 million people are attempting suicide in a given year that represents something of a crisis. With the amount of deaths being 50k or so. That's roughly the same or greater then flu deaths every year. The Flu receives a lot of funding per year and has even more set aside for a pandemic....
Absolutely can make that argument. And they are doing things. They're working to remove access to SN for certain. Can't do much about the guns as there is no political appetite for that, at least in Congress. They started a hotline. Not sure how effective that is. There are stories galore on news channels, almost every day, discussing the "mental health crisis" in order to get a conversation started. There are PSAs, too, airing just about every day. I don't know how someone waves a magic wand and makes someone's life better in quick fashion. I don't think they know either.

• Love