F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
Sorry, I may have not worded it as clearly as I would have liked. But actually not quite what you said.
I think we can be normal minded people who off ourselves..normal people in an abnormal or less than ideal situation. And that situation or experience or reason or what have you, THAT is what usually breeds the mental distress of what may otherwise be the healthiest of minds. And if that reason is permanent then these distress symptoms will never go away, the person with these "symptoms" may very well be labeled mentally ill, giving people the WRONG impression that there is something inherently amiss with their brains, when what's actually amiss is the predicament or body or loss, etc that they are stuck in.
Their only two options at that point are to continue to suffer or to end the suffering.
This is not an illogical decision, it makes perfect sense. And it is not the work of a faulty brain.

Im not saying it can't be, or that some people don't make impulsive decisions, just that on the topic of what you are seeing on this site...mental illness labels, even self proclaimed ones should be taken as just the tip of the iceberg that doesn't really mean anything until you look at the rest of it underneath. Why that label appeared atop their head in the first place is like I said...problematic, and linked to multiple issues with the mental health professionals/services, the public, and the view point of the suffering.
I would just completely ignore the label and just look at the details of why the person is suffering..there you will find the core factors that may very well line up with what you described as "other reasons".

If you see people running around just shouting the name of a mental disorder as their reason for catching the bus, take into consideration that they may have been put under the false impression that their brain is disordered by people who are part of a system which has no surefire tests for diagnosing the majority of the people who walk into their doors. (Sorry to say also that this site isn't devoid of attention seekers, so keep that in mind as well.)
They may be just as misguided as the public is about how psychology and psychiatry work. They are under the same undeserved authority and take the label to be an umbrella term for all their problems, stating it in their posts is an easy way to get the message across that they are suffering to other people, like yourself. It's a poor method of delivery obviously, as you, like many, come away with an incorrect conclusion.

It's difficult to explain in simple terms also because so many people have varying definitions and takes on the subject matter, it's messy and overly complicated when it never needed to be.
You sound very highly educated, but I guess I understand what you're saying.
So the incident would be the cause for this, you haven't said what the incident was but it doesn't really matter because everyone reacts to things differently anyhow.
As long as it had an undesirable effect on you then it is understandable to in turn, react in an undesirable way, for lack of a better word.

Now is this something resolvable? Can it be put in the past, moved on from? That is the question.
You are the one who has to decide if it's worth it-or soothingly necessary-to stay in the hotel and deplete your resources. If you can find another way to cope that is agreeable to you, that might be a better option. If not, then that's that. Give things time and thought, if you think something is wacky with the way your mind is working and you don't like it, then that's a different story. If you feel like nothing is wrong with your mind but something is very wrong with the incident that put you in this state, then I would not say that's reason to worry that you are abnormal.

But unless you are alluding to something..staying in your hotel room for days and just eating up your bank account, that's different than the decision to commit suicide, so I'm not really sure what we're talking about here. Any decision being rational or just the decision to commit suicide?
It's a rational decision. Once I clear my bank I off myself. In the mean time, just lying around drinking feels good. As for the incident, I just can't start life all over again. That's a big no and i guess rational.

Last edited:
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
flyaway2;

i apologize for my firm tone.

I did not know you had self-isolated yourself and are self-medicating and not because of Covid. I do not know how often you have engaged in this behaviour but your suffering now has brought you to were you are at this moment?

When these feelings of suffering begin, often one may have existential questions. Perhaps you are new to this? I see you have liked my posts. Are you seeking such support? I ask in good faith.

VisionsOfHell

VisionsOfHell

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
So you think killing innocent people due to having a poor opinion of technology makes sense. Anyway thank you for a unique point of view.
No, thats not what I said at all, he clearly lacked compassion and didnt see much value in the lives of these individuals.
Anyway this is getting off topic, I was just trying to say that its hard to know who is actually 'insane'.

Reactions: flyaway2
F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
flyaway2;

i apologize for my firm tone.

I did not know you had self-isolated yourself and are self-medicating and not because of Covid. I do not know how often you have engaged in this behaviour but your suffering now has brought you to were you are at this moment?

When these feelings of suffering begin, often one may have existential questions. Perhaps you are new to this? I see you have liked my posts. Are you seeking such support? I ask in good faith.
Sure I'm seeking support to know it's OK to off myself. If many people are of similar view, I guess it makes me not feel bad. Being told you have to be nuts, depressed, dysfunctional to off yourself isn't good for your decision. Mine is a rational decision.

D

Deleted member 23374

deministrator
Nov 1, 2020
i think,

ill does not mean deficient.
punctuation is my mortal enemy <---- now with 0.05% more depth !

wouldn't the general vibe of the incident
weigh in on the rationality of the decision?
does that match up with sane?

me just 15, and a father/brother (as needed) is gone
to husk and parts, in crevices, drop ceiling, edge of table
i know the place, i can imagine just fine
i am raw

the shape of the message reveals
stay around, one line at a time

the leap remains
a valid option

thank you for your thread, it inspires poetry.

Reactions: CoalmineCanary
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
Sure I'm seeking support to know it's OK to off myself. If many people are of similar view, I guess it makes me not feel bad. Being told you have to be nuts, depressed, dysfunctional to off yourself isn't good for your decision. Mine is a rational decision.

I did not know. I am sorry you are suffering.

Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
... There are quite a lot of people here who choose voluntary death for reasons other than mental illness. Have you looked at the survey results?

Reactions: flyaway2, _Kaira_, Meditation guide and 1 other person
F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
I did not know. I am sorry you are suffering.

I'm not suffering. In fact I'm at peace more than I ever knew. Knowing you will soon be dead, it's absolute freedom. No cares. No worries. Just being there at peace

• Hugs
Reactions: CoalmineCanary
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
I'm not suffering. In fact I'm at peace more than I ever knew. Knowing you will soon be dead, it's absolute freedom. No cares. No worries. Just being there at peace

Self-medication does that. I hope I didn't offend you and thank you for your patience.

StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
Personally I don't believe in "mental illness".
People who see therapists and take meds are not only wasting their time and money they are exposing themselves to stigma (word will get around) and damaging their brain with SSRI's.
In the worst case your therapist will not snitch on you to the authorities.

Reactions: yive
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
Maybe I've not looked enough. Maybe I joined at the wrong time when discussions are only centred on mental illness and depression. But as i said this is unpopular opinion
Two days of posts isn't really enough to judge. If you go back and read through the past posts, you'll see a much wider picture. There are threads you can search for where everyone describes why they are struggling. I've seen every reason, from mental health issues to terminal illness, abuse, financial loss, and even facing prison, as well as just rationally deciding they don't wish to live.

Last edited:
Reactions: Élégie, _Kaira_, Meditation guide and 1 other person
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Life experiences and my upbringing has led me to this point. The "mental illnesses" were a byproduct of those life experiences. C-PTSD is a comorbidity of my depression and possible diagnosed Bipolar, but the funny thing is I don't exhibit too many of those traits. I am fully aware of my surroundings and I have a lot of self-control over who I am and what I do. Is my suicide rational or irrational? People who don't know me believe it's irrational. How dare this guy take his own life, it's nonsense, it's crazy talk...blah blah. Those people haven't taken a walk in my life, experienced horrors that no child should ever go through and live with it, become ghosted countless of times by both the system and society, and felt the crushing blow of shame that somehow I am at fault for all of this. Why stay in a world where you're not wanted? Not needed? Don't fit into the norm of humanity? I'm not dying, I'm just stepping away permanently, and the world will still carry on, it always has no matter if you and I were around screaming at it, asking them to validate our existence.

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, _Kaira_, darksideofthebright and 2 others
F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
Self-medication does that. I hope I didn't offend you and thank you for your patience.

So I should not self medicate. I should just feel bad then hang myself. What a way of looking at things. It's best self medicate, then hang.

CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
So I should not self medicate. I should just feel bad then hang myself. What a way of looking at things. It's best self medicate, then hang.

Wow...am I ever sorry I posted that...
I am sorry you interpreted my post that way.

Good luck in your journey. I wish you well.

Reactions: _Kaira_
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I could be wrong, but the way I interpreted the post you are responding to was that self-medicating helps create the feelings you described without the death part. I thought it was saying you don't have to be planning to die to feel free, carefree, etc. So... Self-medicate, don't hang.

F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
Music message well received. Thanks for making me start doubting my sanity.

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
"Hi, my unpopular opinion is to attack a community I just joined by calling them stereotypical and crazy. I wish to have some from productive discussion from my accusation, but I won't tell you guys what the purpose is. I just wanted to let you all know I feel the prolifers are justified in their feelings based on the very limited posts I've bothered to read before judging you all. Also, don't judge me for insulting all of you."

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, malcontent, puppy9 and 5 others
F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
"Hi, my unpopular opinion is to attack a community I just joined by calling them stereotypical and crazy. I wish to have some from productive discussion from my accusation, but I won't tell you guys what the purpose is. I just wanted to let you all know I feel the prolifers are justified in their feelings based on the very limited posts I've bothered to read before judging you all. Also, don't judge me for insulting all of you."
Very cryptic

Reactions: Meditation guide
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
People are a bit wary after this website been having a flood of armchair pseudo-intellectuals trying to decipher the universe or convince us to reconsider our options by twisting our brains with their nonsense. And their source is either Youtube or Facebook since they never heard of Google Scholar or think PubMed is fake news.

"I watched this 30 min documentary on Youtube, and figured the argument is proof after the first introductory line!!! Oh EM GEE I R SO SMARTZ"

F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
I d
People are a bit wary after this website been having a flood of armchair pseudo-intellectuals trying to decipher the universe or convince us to reconsider our options by twisting our brains with their nonsense. And their source is either Youtube or Facebook since they never heard of Google Scholar or think PubMed is fake news.

"I watched this 30 min documentary on Youtube, and figured the argument is proof after the first introductory line!!! Oh EM GEE I R SO SMARTZ"
[/QUOT
I don't seem to understand you.
I
I don't seem to understand you
I
I don't seem to understand you

D

Deleted member 25174

Jan 4, 2021
strictly my opinion, not meant to discount anybody's opinions, feelings or beliefs.
Here I go: Going through most posts here, I get the feeling that most are confirming the mainstream pro life argument that only mentally unstable people commit suicide. Most posts here seem to suggest that most people here are suicidal because they have mental illness. I thought people off themselves for other reasons, eg failed business, relationships, poverty, or for philosophical reasons. Funny thing, I'm yet to see people here talk about such. Its all about visits/ relationship with therapists, etc. It's like a confirmation to stereotype pro life theory.

If you've been "mentally unstable" as you put it for all your adult life due to sexual/physical trauma you were put through as a child why should you have to put up with flashbacks and everything that goes with it forever. You think killing yourself for philosophical reasons is valid to people but my example above is not.....that's messed up not my reasons which you deem as mentally unstable

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
There are quite a lot of threads where people state their intentions for wanting to die are reasons such as: bullying, abuse, work-related stress, the inability to fit in, et cetera. I do not think that reasons such as these would be considered the product of an unstable mind.

Also: how do we decide if someone has a stable mind or not - how is sanity even defined? Just because someone may have a reason for wanting to end their life which may seem "abnormal" to somebody else that does not necessarily mean that they are mentally unwell. You must remember that in the past, and in some parts of the world: the present, homosexuals were viewed as mentally ill - even though there is nothing actually wrong with them. They were viewed as unhealthy simply because their behaviour did not conform to their societies standard(s) for "normalcy" at that time.

user667

user667

Student
May 11, 2020
strictly my opinion, not meant to discount anybody's opinions, feelings or beliefs.
Here I go: Going through most posts here, I get the feeling that most are confirming the mainstream pro life argument that only mentally unstable people commit suicide. Most posts here seem to suggest that most people here are suicidal because they have mental illness. I thought people off themselves for other reasons, eg failed business, relationships, poverty, or for philosophical reasons. Funny thing, I'm yet to see people here talk about such. Its all about visits/ relationship with therapists, etc. It's like a confirmation to stereotype pro life theory.
i'm very mentally ill. but besides the pain, i'm also offing myself because of philosophical reasons (no point to life, world is meaningless, etc.), past traumas, societal reasons and more.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
The problem is multiple things, psychology and psychiatry having way too much authority in society, people not challenging their own diagnosis and understanding where said diagnosis's come from (a basically BS manual which has things voted in and out at political whim) and the general public having no concept of anything other than the "chemical imbalance" theory and the rhetoric of people killing themselves from a battle with a mental disorder (usually stated as depression) which renders them "not in their right mind" when making the decision to end their life. All a load of BS fed into by power and control hungry "professionals" and the majority population who lack any nuance or critical thought processes. (The people who do have likely been labeled mentally disordered and their rights and opinions are now obsolete in the eyes of many.)
We have someone who can really think and discern here. I love this.

Reactions: Deleted member 1768 and TooMuchToBear
D

Deleted member 25174

Jan 4, 2021
Sometimes mental illness is terminal

D

Deleted member 1768

Enlightened
Aug 15, 2018
I don't consider myself mentally ill at all but I think mental distress is a symptom most experience here and that can get confused for what others like to label a mental illness/disorder. They confuse the symptoms with the cause. I kind of see what you're saying in a way though..many here do claim mental illness and seem to almost wave the labels like a proud flag over their head, which only adds fuel to the fire of pro-lifers. Because to them, only the mentally ill (which in their minds, means insane/illogical/incapable/delusional) commit suicide or are actively suicidal.

The problem is multiple things, psychology and psychiatry having way too much authority in society, people not challenging their own diagnosis and understanding where said diagnosis's come from (a basically BS manual which has things voted in and out at political whim) and the general public having no concept of anything other than the "chemical imbalance" theory and the rhetoric of people killing themselves from a battle with a mental disorder (usually stated as depression) which renders them "not in their right mind" when making the decision to end their life. All a load of BS fed into by power and control hungry "professionals" and the majority population who lack any nuance or critical thought processes. (The people who do have likely been labeled mentally disordered and their rights and opinions are now obsolete in the eyes of many.)

No consideration is being taken regarding the life circumstances or the world at large which is usually the actual cause of people displaying mental distress or symptoms which have been grouped under various mental illnesses (there's one for everything now, everyone can be diagnosed these days, it's a joke..there are no biological testing methods being performed during these "visits".)

A lot of people are now starting to see a diagnosis as the only way for the world to notice or be gentle with them, because simply talking about their problems doesn't get anywhere and it's not any form of hot button terminology which will gain them instant awareness like a label of mental illness will.
Believe it or not some people take comfort in being told there is something inherently wrong with the way their mind works..it takes the burden of blame off them, until they snap out of it and realize it is actually doing the opposite. It is placing the blame directly with the individual, not with society, not with what happened to them, not with any of their past or present trauma. It's all just telling them that, one way or another, they are the problem.
And so we get a lot of people who should not be burdened with any form of capricious labeling, who nonetheless are. And so they talk and converse about it and it gets intermixed with what you call "other reasons" until those other reasons are unrecognizable within the confines of such and such "disorder."
Fantastic!!! You have removed the chafe and exposed the kernel. Thank you so much. Please read this piece carefully. Think on each point made. This is brilliant, and I firmly believe completely honest. You deserve accolades of the highest order Flowers. Again...thank you.