• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Oliver

Oliver

Experienced
Feb 28, 2024
Someone here who believes in the existence of parallel universes and how it could potentially explain what happens to us when we die? Like, perhaps we get reborn in a parallel universe after we die?

sserafim

sserafim

they say it’s darkest of all before the dawn
Sep 13, 2023
Someone here who believes in the existence of parallel universes and how it could potentially explain what happens to us when we die? Like, perhaps we get reborn in a parallel universe after we die?
I believe in the existence of parallel universes. I've heard about quantum immortality. It's terrifying

Last edited:
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I dunno, parallel universes would hardly seem parallel if they mainly come about chronologically after we die. Maybe if we die early we can have the option to usurp a parallel version of ourselves that's living a better life but that's probably just wishful thinking.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
I dunno, parallel universes would hardly seem parallel if they mainly come about chronologically after we die. Maybe if we die early we can have the option to usurp a parallel version of ourselves that's living a better life but that's probably just wishful thinking.
Wdym? I heard that if you die, you enter a parallel universe where you didn't die. That's quantum immortality

Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
Our will can possibly change the future, but only by a little. The more we want to push, the less likely it will happen. The probability is expressed as in the quantum wave function.

Reactions: sserafim
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Wdym? I heard that if you die, you enter a parallel universe where you didn't die. That's quantum immortality
That's basically what I meant. I just don't believe we'd reincarnate and start completely over into a new universe like the OP suggested though maybe I misinterpreted. This theory obviously doesn't make sense for people who died of old age or terminal illnesses because those people were gonna die no matter what so what possible universe could exist where they didn't die?

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
That's basically what I meant. I just don't believe we'd reincarnate and start completely over into a new universe like the OP suggested though maybe I misinterpreted.
I think you would enter that new universe at the point you took your life in this one. You're already living a parallel life in another universe

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Wouldn't quantum immortality only work on the quantum level given.. its name? I don't study physics so I'm not fully sure but I hope that quantum immortality is not true. Though I thought that quantum immortality was that, at a quantum level, you're forced to experience the moment before your death for all eternity instead of entering a different parallel universe

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I think you would enter that new universe at the point you took your life in this one. You're already living a parallel life in another universe
Sounds like a great plot for multiversal murder. If the life I swap into keeps sucking, I'll just keep killing myself over and over in each of these new universes until I find an existence worth living. 😂

Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Your post deserves a full answer, but unfortunately a full answer would be a book-length project. Many different kinds of parallel universes have been suggested, and each would have to be discussed separately. But since I don't want to write such a book, and few people would wish to read it if I did, I'll give you the short answer. In my view, if any kinds of parallel universe exist (and I am rather sceptical that any do) there is no chance at all that you would finish up in one after you die.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Your post deserves a full answer, but unfortunately a full answer would be a book-length project. Many different kinds of parallel universes have been suggested, and each would have to be discussed separately. But since I don't want to write such a book, and few people would wish to read it if I did, I'll give you the short answer. In my view, if any kinds of parallel universe exist (and I am rather sceptical that any do) there is no chance at all that you would finish up in one after you die.
I would want to read it 🥹 what are the different kinds of parallel universes? Why don't you believe in quantum immortality?

Reactions: Homo erectus
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
I would want to read it 🥹 what are the different kinds of parallel universes? Why don't you believe in quantum immortality?
It would take me far too long to do justice to your questions, and an answer that didn't deal properly with the questions would not be satisfactory. So I'm going to take the easy way out on this one, and plead pressure of other work. However, I will make a few comments.

If you want to read up on the many parallel universe ideas that have been suggested, there is a lot of information available online, and in book form, and in scientific papers. Remember that it is all speculation. There is not a shred of evidence that any kind of parallel universe exists. Some of it is not even intelligent speculation. It is meaningless - literally - to speculate about those kinds of parallel universes that could not, even in principle, have any effect on our own universe. For them, I would just follow Leibniz's principle of the identitiy of indiscernibles, and ask What is the difference between such a parallel universe and no parallel universe at all? There isn't any difference. Other kinds of parallel universe that have been postulated are not meaningless, but the ideas remain very speculative and without any observational support at present.

I don't subscribe to Hugh Everett's many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, so I never get anywhere near considering quantum immortality. Everett took wave functions too seriously. He seems to have forgotten that they are merely a mathematical device. They do not exist in the real world, so there is no need to talk about them splitting. Even mathematically they don't split; they collapse. (Wave function collapse in the Copenhagen interpretation - and, arguably, the whole of the Copenhagen interpretation - is a whole can of worms in itself, but let's leave that topic for another day.)

Reactions: sserafim
borderlinee

borderlinee

Oct 6, 2023
It doesn't make any sense because do you just keep living until you're a billion years old or do you keep reliving every moment of your life?

Oliver

Oliver

Experienced
Feb 28, 2024
Sounds like a great plot for multiversal murder. If the life I swap into keeps sucking, I'll just keep killing myself over and over in each of these new universes until I find an existence worth living. 😂
Yeah and then check out whenever you turn 30, so you never have to age :)). Only problem is leaving ones loved ones behind...
I just find it hard to believe in "nothingness" after death since we can't imagine nothingness. I believe something is going to happen. I just don't know what of course.

Last edited: