N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
I generally lifted these from my comments on another thread, so the writing my seem a little clunky or out of place in some places

"9 Hurt After Student's Apparent Suicide by Cyanide

BY STEVE BALL

OCT. 13, 1998

Toxic fumes produced when a college student from Orange County died of an apparent suicide Monday forced the evacuation of an Iowa dormitory and the hospitalization of nine people, authorities said.
Carl T. Grimm, 20, a sophomore from Placentia, ingested potassium cyanide about 7:30 a.m. in his dormitory room at Grinnell College, a private liberal arts school about 50 miles east of Des Moines, Iowa, Grinnell Fire Chief Jerry Barns said.
Four paramedics who responded to the call at Younkers Hall came in contact with fumes from the poison, as did two college staff members and three other students.
Grimm was taken to Grinnell Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Fredrick N. Grimm, Carl's father, remembered the young man Monday as "a wonderful son, intelligent and sensitive."
"He was bright, a National Merit Scholar" at El Dorado High School, the elder Grimm said. "But he had his difficulties," including attention deficit disorder. Still, he said, "his death came as a complete shock."
The others who became ill on the Iowa campus were treated and released from the hospital.
"When potassium cyanide is mixed with water or mixed with acid, it creates hydrogen cyanide gas, which is quite toxic. Eighty percent of the body is made of water," said Mickey Munley, the college's director of public relations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Potassium cyanide is a respiratory poison that prevents oxygen from reaching the cells. When ingested, it causes death almost immediately.
Firefighters sent to the dormitory evacuated the three-story structure until the Des Moines Hazardous Materials Unit arrived to ventilate the building.
Authorities could not say immediately where or how Grimm acquired the potassium cyanide."

This other article says something different though in a similar scenario:

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local...cle_705bbe23-f442-5cd2-9fac-2675b7725398.html

"Rudder Plaza returned to normal Thursday, a day after hazardous materials crews roped off the area while treating a Texas A&M student who had reportedly ingested sodium cyanide.
The 20-year-old man remained in critical condition at St. Joseph hospital Thursday evening after going through a decontamination process in the hospital parking lot the night before and receiving an antidote to inactivate the poison.
Addressing the attention the case garnered after the public saw responders in hazardous materials suits, Dr. Brandon Lewis, medical director of emergency services at St. Joseph hospital, said emergency personnel responded with an abundance of caution, choosing to "overreact rather than underreact."

Edit- But then 4 years later the school came out with another article that said this:

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local...cle_529260e0-af4a-5c5f-bb4f-81bd3ccec74a.html

"Arriving on the scene near Rudder Tower that afternoon, officers detected a chemical odor that "caused our mouths to burn" and reported seeing Taylor on the ground near a bench surrounded by paper, personal items and a bottle of sodium cyanide inside a Starbucks cup with Taylor's name on it"

Idk what to believe about it exactly

"According to an incident reports from the LPD and LFD, the man was found conscious, alert and clothed inside the vehicle, and had apparently vomited inside of his car. A "vapor cloud" was also noted inside the vehicle, and responders established a perimeter and called for a HazMat team, which removed the man from his vehicle, the fire department report said.

//

The HazMat scene posed an immediate danger only to the first-responders, and the threat to them was potentially lessened because the man actually ingested the chemicals, rather than inhaling them through his car, Wilson said."

Weird story, I'm not sure if dangerous fumes really are released from potassium cyanide and other "solid" cyanides if you vomit, but they'll probably treat it as such and it'll be in the public eye as such

"Authorities evacuated eight other residents at Larrimer's 1242 Neil Ave. apartment complex, a few blocks south of campus. A small portion of the road was blocked off for several hours after the body was discovered because of the potential of deadly fumes inside, said Sgt. Brent Mull of the Columbus Division of Police.

"Cyanide, when mixed with acid, is dangerous," Smith said. "With the acid in his stomach, if any air was released from his stomach, it could have been toxic."

Still somewhat ambiguous

//

Last one on this thread, sorry:

https://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120223/NEWS/120229874

"They backed out of the room and called Monroe County Emergency Services, which contacted a hazardous materials response team in Old Forge. Environmental Products and Services tested the containers and confirmed the substance is cyanide. The hazardous response team, dressed in protective gear, tested and confirmed the air was safe to breathe. They carried the body out of the room into a hallway after investigators completed examination of the room and victim."

So in this case it seems like the hazmat approach wasn't necessary
I generally lifted these from my comments on another thread, so the writing my seem a little clunky or out of place in some places

"9 Hurt After Student's Apparent Suicide by Cyanide

BY STEVE BALL

OCT. 13, 1998

Toxic fumes produced when a college student from Orange County died of an apparent suicide Monday forced the evacuation of an Iowa dormitory and the hospitalization of nine people, authorities said.
Carl T. Grimm, 20, a sophomore from Placentia, ingested potassium cyanide about 7:30 a.m. in his dormitory room at Grinnell College, a private liberal arts school about 50 miles east of Des Moines, Iowa, Grinnell Fire Chief Jerry Barns said.
Four paramedics who responded to the call at Younkers Hall came in contact with fumes from the poison, as did two college staff members and three other students.
Grimm was taken to Grinnell Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Fredrick N. Grimm, Carl's father, remembered the young man Monday as "a wonderful son, intelligent and sensitive."
"He was bright, a National Merit Scholar" at El Dorado High School, the elder Grimm said. "But he had his difficulties," including attention deficit disorder. Still, he said, "his death came as a complete shock."
The others who became ill on the Iowa campus were treated and released from the hospital.
"When potassium cyanide is mixed with water or mixed with acid, it creates hydrogen cyanide gas, which is quite toxic. Eighty percent of the body is made of water," said Mickey Munley, the college's director of public relations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Potassium cyanide is a respiratory poison that prevents oxygen from reaching the cells. When ingested, it causes death almost immediately.
Firefighters sent to the dormitory evacuated the three-story structure until the Des Moines Hazardous Materials Unit arrived to ventilate the building.
Authorities could not say immediately where or how Grimm acquired the potassium cyanide."

This other article says something different though in a similar scenario:

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local...cle_705bbe23-f442-5cd2-9fac-2675b7725398.html

"Rudder Plaza returned to normal Thursday, a day after hazardous materials crews roped off the area while treating a Texas A&M student who had reportedly ingested sodium cyanide.
The 20-year-old man remained in critical condition at St. Joseph hospital Thursday evening after going through a decontamination process in the hospital parking lot the night before and receiving an antidote to inactivate the poison.
Addressing the attention the case garnered after the public saw responders in hazardous materials suits, Dr. Brandon Lewis, medical director of emergency services at St. Joseph hospital, said emergency personnel responded with an abundance of caution, choosing to "overreact rather than underreact."

Edit- But then 4 years later the school came out with another article that said this:

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local...cle_529260e0-af4a-5c5f-bb4f-81bd3ccec74a.html

"Arriving on the scene near Rudder Tower that afternoon, officers detected a chemical odor that "caused our mouths to burn" and reported seeing Taylor on the ground near a bench surrounded by paper, personal items and a bottle of sodium cyanide inside a Starbucks cup with Taylor's name on it"

Idk what to believe about it exactly

"According to an incident reports from the LPD and LFD, the man was found conscious, alert and clothed inside the vehicle, and had apparently vomited inside of his car. A "vapor cloud" was also noted inside the vehicle, and responders established a perimeter and called for a HazMat team, which removed the man from his vehicle, the fire department report said.

//

The HazMat scene posed an immediate danger only to the first-responders, and the threat to them was potentially lessened because the man actually ingested the chemicals, rather than inhaling them through his car, Wilson said."

Weird story, I'm not sure if dangerous fumes really are released from potassium cyanide and other "solid" cyanides if you vomit, but they'll probably treat it as such and it'll be in the public eye as such

"Authorities evacuated eight other residents at Larrimer's 1242 Neil Ave. apartment complex, a few blocks south of campus. A small portion of the road was blocked off for several hours after the body was discovered because of the potential of deadly fumes inside, said Sgt. Brent Mull of the Columbus Division of Police.

"Cyanide, when mixed with acid, is dangerous," Smith said. "With the acid in his stomach, if any air was released from his stomach, it could have been toxic."

Still somewhat ambiguous

//

Last one on this thread, sorry:

https://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120223/NEWS/120229874

"They backed out of the room and called Monroe County Emergency Services, which contacted a hazardous materials response team in Old Forge. Environmental Products and Services tested the containers and confirmed the substance is cyanide. The hazardous response team, dressed in protective gear, tested and confirmed the air was safe to breathe. They carried the body out of the room into a hallway after investigators completed examination of the room and victim."

So in this case it seems like the hazmat approach wasn't necessary
If I ever get reproached for writing about this, I would just like to say that I'm very depressed, and distressed at the way much of life and death occurs in most or all of the world, and I'm just worried and I think there should be a better way

Last edited:
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
Almost any mention of powdery or chemical like substances etc will generate a hazmat response, but protocols will be different depending on where you live. I used to work for the ambulance service in the UK, in my region, we would have the fire service attend when powder was mentioned in a scenario like this. It's not uncommon, especially now with more terror related incidents happening. They can't just assume that it's not toxic and risk it. Look up what happened in Salisbury in the UK, that's my area I worked in/around. We had to completely destroy 2 ambulances, all because of an unknown white powder. Better to be cautious.

Reactions: autumnal and issyishere
N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
Almost any mention of powdery or chemical like substances etc will generate a hazmat response, but protocols will be different depending on where you live. I used to work for the ambulance service in the UK, in my region, we would have the fire service attend when powder was mentioned in a scenario like this. It's not uncommon, especially now with more terror related incidents happening. They can't just assume that it's not toxic and risk it. Look up what happened in Salisbury in the UK, that's my area I worked in/around. We had to completely destroy 2 ambulances, all because of an unknown white powder. Better to be cautious.
But that's also not totally fair to blame whoever quietly wanted to take cyanide for "injuring others" even though not all the articles say that

I see where the paramedics are coming from but I also see that a lot of the really good suicide powder methods might be blocked because of this

Will sodium nitrite be treated the same way, do you think?

Do you not support the suicide powders/salts, then?

I think unless you give people guns there really isn't any other good, painless method

The Debreather would be one, as would the Sarco, but those haven't come out yet

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
But that's also not totally fair to blame whoever quietly wanted to take cyanide for "injuring others" even though not all the articles say that

I see where the paramedics are coming from but I also see that a lot of the really good suicide powder methods might be blocked because of this

Will sodium nitrite be treated the same way, do you think?

Do you not support the suicide powders/salts, then?

I think unless you give people guns there really isn't any other good, painless method

The Debreather would be one, as would the Sarco, but those haven't come out yet
Well, while it's not fair, I'm sure no suicidal person wants anyone else to risk their lives. It's not done because people think they are trying to hurt others, not at all. If powder suicides, such as SN get banned, it won't be because of this. It will be because of the fact it kills you. I support them fully, SN was my method. I have it in the room with me. Giving someone a gun to use is just as bad for the clean up, brains all over the place and in countries where firearms aren't legal, police are then also involved.. Like I said, its a safety thing, it's nothing against the person who committed suicide, truly it isn't. Regardless, there will always be repercussions to suicide. Just the nature of the beast sadly.

Reactions: autumnal
N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
Well, while it's not fair, I'm sure no suicidal person wants anyone else to risk their lives. It's not done because people think they are trying to hurt others, not at all. If powder suicides, such as SN get banned, it won't be because of this. It will be because of the fact it kills you. I support them fully, SN was my method. I have it in the room with me. Giving someone a gun to use is just as bad for the clean up, brains all over the place and in countries where firearms aren't legal, police are then also involved.. Like I said, its a safety thing, it's nothing against the person who committed suicide, truly it isn't. Regardless, there will always be repercussions to suicide. Just the nature of the beast sadly.
A gun I'd be more likely to fire outside, but that also I'm realizing probably has more legal risks (not if I die, but it's still an unwelcome aspect of it)

You don't think suicide will ever be presented as a legitimate way of dying?

Will the debreather and/or the Sarco ever get sold and widely used, in your opinion?

If not, then what's going to happen to the world where there are no exits and no ways to die?

Last edited:
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
A gun I'd be more likely to fire outside, but that also I'm realizing probably has more legal risks (not if I die, but it's still an unwelcome aspect of it)

You don't think suicide will ever be presented as a legitimate way of dying?

Will the debreather and/or the Sarco ever get sold and widely used, in your opinion?

If not, then what's going to happen to the world where there are no exits and no ways to die?
Humanity will always find a way. We have this incredible capability if we want something enough we will make it a possibility. I hope it will one day be seen as a normal way to die. There shouldn't be a stigma around someone suffering so much they don't see an alternative. If people want to die they should have that right. As for the debreather, I've no idea, haven't looked into it at all so know very little about it.

N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
Humanity will always find a way. We have this incredible capability if we want something enough we will make it a possibility. I hope it will one day be seen as a normal way to die. There shouldn't be a stigma around someone suffering so much they don't see an alternative. If people want to die they should have that right. As for the debreather, I've no idea, haven't looked into it at all so know very little about it.
We will probably make a lot of people suffer way too much (any amount is too much) if we don't give people a way out

If machines provided for our every need that would be good, too

I feel like I'm going to be fucked with very badly though in a world where we can't have either one

And probably very many people will be, also

Last edited:
N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
You strike me as a narc of some kind

I can't really do anything about it if that's the case, though

Banning suicide methods leads to torturous hanging deaths or unlivable lives

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
You strike me as a narc of some kind

I can't really do anything about it if that's the case, though

Banning suicide methods leads to torturous hanging deaths or unlivable lives
What's a narc? I don't want anything banned lol.

ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
One way to minimize / eliminate any harm to others I would suggest having an 8.5 x 11 size notice (or A4) with large bold text thet states "consumed cyanide, do not resuscitate, chemical hazard" in very nearby proximity just before one cbt's. One could get a neck band like they have at an office supply store and make a makeshift sign they can hang around one's neck, keeping in tucked underneath one's shirt, and pull it out front just before consuming the cyanide.