roo

roo

I’m alright, spring will come to me too someday
Feb 20, 2022
i find it hard to open up to people in real life about my depression because im ashamed. even if i do open up to people i can only do it over text bc i find it uncomfortable to see how they react to what im saying. i think it comes from being ignored and pushed away by people i opened up to in the past. does anyone else feel like this?

• Hugs
Reactions: cryone, lemonbunny, druggedonsurvival and 5 others
jenny6391bubbles

jenny6391bubbles

a hikikomori waiting to catch the bus
Mar 1, 2021
yes, very much so. sometimes my bf pushes me away bc of it but i don't blame him. i think the therapy speak thing of having to ask if a person has time and space to listen to you, as well as the mental capacity can help sometimes. though, i know some people who get offended if you ask every time because it seems cold or condescending or whatever. it's really something you have to do on a case-to-case basis and it's really fucking hard having to read people all the time.

hugs w consent!

• Hugs
Reactions: ConfusedClouds
U

unabletocope

I'd like to shut down
Mar 13, 2024
Yes, I feel like I'm the most awkward embarrassing person alive

• Hugs
Reactions: HopingOnaMiracle and roo
C

ConfusedClouds

Experienced
Mar 9, 2024
Yes I find text/written easier too - mainly less pressure on interrupting someone, they can read when they have time.

Also I totally freeze up and lose words face-to-face. And/or seem to autopilot to some normal smiley 'all grand' person who I get so confused by - is it all fake news - how can I be so not fine and then suddenly this.

I also have mega guilt/shame that I can't shake or seem to express due to the whole comparison to others and not accepting my non dramatic history as viable. This sabotages any communication. In person I shut off. Written, I spiral and apologise/try justifying a ton. Neither works - I gave up trying and isolate.

I really hope you are able to find someone who you are able to chat to in person after maybe a text build up.

hot

hot

Mar 3, 2024
i find it hard to open up to people in real life about my depression because im ashamed. even if i do open up to people i can only do it over text bc i find it uncomfortable to see how they react to what im saying. i think it comes from being ignored and pushed away by people i opened up to in the past. does anyone else feel like this?

Hey, I feel the same way. I've never talked to anyone about my problems, except for a few people I trust. Most of the time I'm afraid that these people won't understand me, that they'll suddenly start to dislike me or reject me. Whenever I opened up to people (close friends), they never understood me or didn't take me seriously.

I hope things look better for you and that at some point you can open up to someone and talk to them about your problems without feeling embarrassed. Have a nice day everyone 🤗

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: roo and ConfusedClouds
druggedonsurvival

druggedonsurvival

Student
Feb 8, 2024
Yes, I understand this feeling completely. I never talk about my mental health problems with others because I'm afraid it will make them feel bad, and I don't want to make anyone else feel bad by subjecting them to the bullshit that goes on in my brain. I think a lot of people just don't understand depression and probably won't react positively because of the discomfort associated with having to hear about it.

• Hugs
Reactions: ConfusedClouds
A

Aloneandinpain

Student
Dec 25, 2023
You shouldn't even try to open up to normal people, and males in particular need to avoid that.

If you can find a close friend who has maybe suffered a lot in some way too then that's potentially an option for someone to talk to. Even then, it would need to be at a time when they have the time/energy/desire for discussing such painful topics.

3/4Dead

3/4Dead

Peace, Love, Empathy
Feb 27, 2024
For me, it was just about finding the right person. I hated opening up because of the people I was opening up to, and I just thought I hated being vulnerable (which I do but in specific capacities lol). My close friend really made himself into a safe space for me in a way I havent found in a while; what I mostly needed was someone who wasn't a yes-man or just "nooo =[ im sorry dont be sad" (as much as I appreciate the sentiment)

But that doesn't really overpower the shame when it comes to certain things. For a long time shame was simply an emotion I did not feel, but opening up really does that to a person. Something about laying myself bare really does feel horribly embarrasing. Everytime I say something I wanna take it right back. What I needed was someone who could soothe that feeling whenever it came about.

Bannana

Bannana

caretaker
Mar 10, 2024
Yes it is natural reaction to feel ashamed of self when exposing yourself in a way to the people around you