• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

PolishPanda46

PolishPanda46

Chill man
Mar 23, 2024
Do you guys think people here might self diagnose and throw labels around too much?
I'm not trying to be a cunt but I feel like you should see a psychiatrist before putting a label on yourself. Also, it's easy to convince yourself of something, when you're looking at symptoms online and on this forum.

Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
I think so. I say this because I do it myself :). I've never been to a psychologist. I also hate hospitals. I don't know what's wrong with me. Most likely depression and maybe a few other minor mental issues.
However, I'm not sure.
I know something is wrong.
Self-diagnosis is common. The result is not always true.

It is also important to remember that a sick person may have impaired perception, so his or her assessment is not "sober".

L

LittleCupcake

Experienced
Mar 14, 2024
Sure let me just wait 10 years to see someone.
Thats what its like and even a psychologist can be wrong, people that self diagnosis isnt just doing 5 mins of research it's often years or months of research.

Reactions: cgrtt.brns
3/4Dead

3/4Dead

This Body Needs An Overhaul
Feb 27, 2024
Sure let me just wait 10 years to see someone.
Thats what its like and even a psychologist can be wrong, people that self diagnosis isnt just doing 5 mins of research it's often years or months of research.
I think that after personal research it's perfectly viable to say you believe you suit the criteria for a diagnosis, that you think you may have something, then you can then use that information to make the symptoms easier to manage.

But people spend years in school in part for the purpose of diagnosing as accurately as possible, because it is important to note that they have a firmer understanding more things than just the singular diagnosis you may have been hyperfocusing on, as OP said, its very easy to convince yourself you have something when you are looking into only that thing especially on the internet. Plenty of things have overlapping symptoms and part of becoming a doctor in any capacity is learning to say "could be these things, and I doubt it's those things"

Doctors can be wrong, yes, I agree, and if you believe a doctor is wrong you should seek multiple opinions, by other doctors who have spent lengthy periods of time in school learning how to identify and rule out other diagnosis.

tl;dr: the healthcare system can definetly suck, but I still think that you shouldn't self-diagnose and take it as gospel, but I have no beef with self speculation especially if that leads to better quality of life.

edit to add: I do think, though, for minor/common stuff it's reasonable to say "I have deppresion/anxiety/a cold/a migrane" without needing a doctor to back it

Reactions: ColorlessTrees
cupcakesandmilk

cupcakesandmilk

??/??/20??
Oct 10, 2023
Well, in my case, I'm yet to see a psychiatrist, but I don't self-diagnose myself either, partly because it feels somehow insulting to those who actually struggle with that stuff; though this is strictly in regards to myself, I usually take people's word for it when it comes to self-diagnosis, partly because I feel like they are in the best position to judge themselves, and the other part being me not wanting to be an armchair psychologist; somewhat ironic coming from me, but even if someone's assessment of themselves is completely off the mark, it doesn't make their struggles any less valid.

Though I do believe that one should get a proper diagnosis if they're willing to recover.

Last edited:
L

LittleCupcake

Experienced
Mar 14, 2024
I think that after personal research it's perfectly viable to say you believe you suit the criteria for a diagnosis, that you think you may have something, then you can then use that information to make the symptoms easier to manage.
Thats exactly what a professional does