Stillnotsure

Stillnotsure

Experienced
Dec 18, 2018
I tried to copy and paste a thing from Google, but it wouldn't let me. But this is what it did let me copy.

The heart itself is hard to stab because it lays behind the sternum, is partially covered by the ribs, is totally covered by the tough connective tissue between the ribs and has it own fibrous covering the pericardium.
Please understand, I am not personally attacking you. I am speaking as someone with a degree in medicine and human biology. I have put needles into peoples hearts through their ribs. While the heart does sit partially behind the sternum, in most people it is shifted in the chest to the left. The largest chamber of the heart is accessible through the ribs in these patients. If you try to stab your own heart it takes time to die. The blood can fill the pericardial sack around the heart, eventually there is no room left for the heart to beat. You can also insanguinate or bleed out into your chest cavity. This makes you feel like you can't breathe. Your lungs may collapse fefore you lose enough blood to die from the bleeding alone. That suffocation process is very slow. Because you may not have a good understanding of anatomy, you are likely to miss the heart entirely and only stab your lung. That means air and blood will slowly and painfully fill your chest until the lung eventually collapses. You'll end up in the hospital with a chest tube being inserted while you are awake and without pain blocking drugs. I do not recommend this as a method for suicide.

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 4 others
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

The final Bell has rung. Goodbye to all.
Jul 13, 2018
Please understand, I am not personally attacking you. I am speaking as someone with a degree in medicine and human biology. I have put needles into peoples hearts through their ribs. While the heart does sit partially behind the sternum, in most people it is shifted in the chest to the left. The largest chamber of the heart is accessible through the ribs in these patients. If you try to stab your own heart it takes time to die. The blood can fill the pericardial sack around the heart, eventually there is no room left for the heart to beat. You can also insanguinate or bleed out into your chest cavity. This makes you feel like you can't breathe. Your lungs may collapse fefore you lose enough blood to die from the bleeding alone. That suffocation process is very slow. Because you may not have a good understanding of anatomy, you are likely to miss the heart entirely and only stab your lung. That means air and blood will slowly and painfully fill your chest until the lung eventually collapses. You'll end up in the hospital with a chest tube being inserted while you are awake and without pain blocking drugs. I do not recommend this as a method for suicide.

I understand you're not attacking me, and I wasn't recommending this as a method. I was only posting what I had found about it.

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
R

Roadkill

Experienced
Dec 25, 2018
To make a synopsis of what's already here, and assuming you have decided your preferred method is either with a handgun or a knife:

1) Using a handgun aimed at your head has about 97% success rate. "At your head" includes mouth, temple, behind ear --your entire head. I suspect the only reason this figure is not 100% is because "to the head" includes aiming at the temple, which has a (relatively) high failure rate. Aiming into the mouth has a very high success rate.

2) A 9mm is plenty powerful enough, especially if you're using hollowpoint ammunition.

3) Exsanguination --cutting your wrists, neck veins, even femoral or brachial arteries, has a very low chance of success and would be very painful.

4) Likewise stabbing yourself in your heart isn't very effective --it has a fantastic dramatic value if you want to make a statement to your unfaithful spouse, but it otherwise has little to recommend it.

5) When using a handgun, be careful about your aim, in your mouth. Have a look at the diagrams in the gun megathread, and then practice your aim in the mirror. In my opinion, you would do better to aim too low than too high: if you miss the brainstem (your priority target) you would do better to hit the spinal cord beneath it than the less-important brain above it.

Conclusion: a 9mm handgun aimed into your mouth is a very reliable method and the best of the options you have chosen to explore.
thanks a lot.. I've read your guns megathread, but I will need to reread it again to make sure I get this right.. I get only one shot, and I need to make sure it works.. failure isn't an option in this case.

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
RememberWhatUCameFor

RememberWhatUCameFor

dont cry for me im already dead
Nov 20, 2018
Usually when the statement of gunshot to head is heard, it's referring aiming gun either at your forehead, or the temple.

isnt gun in mouth more safe though? the lethal rate must be even higher..or what is the trick?

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
R

Roadkill

Experienced
Dec 25, 2018
isnt gun in mouth more safe though? the lethal rate must be even higher..or what is the trick?
I checked out this diagram in the gun megathread, and it looks like the gun should be angled about 30 degrees upward to hit the brain stem
Upload 2018 12 26 20 25 6

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018

It is if you can hit the brainstem (if you are using a small/medium sized handgun caliber such 9mm, .45 ACP, .40), but with shot like birdshot, buckshot, or slugs, you would be able to destroy more of the brain and have a greater chance of dying from the shock, blood loss, and what not.

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Stillnotsure

Stillnotsure

Experienced
Dec 18, 2018
It is if you can hit the brainstem (if you are using a small/medium sized handgun caliber such 9mm, .45 ACP, .40), but with shot like birdshot, buckshot, or slugs, you would be able to destroy more of the brain and have a greater chance of dying from the shock, blood loss, and what not.

I personally don't recommend birdshot. But a handgun can be more successful than a shotgun because the distance the user has to reach to pull the trigger is much less. It is very awkward trying to hold a shotgun barrel in tour mouth at 30 degrees while still being able to reach and fully pull the trigger without accidentally pulling the barrel off mark.

R

Roadkill

Experienced
Dec 25, 2018
I would use a shotgun, but the length of the gun would make it hard for me to make an accurate shot. I've practiced with a cardboard gun I made and it's really hard to pull the trigger with a long gun and the having barrel in your mouth.

Kev

Kev

Student
Aug 18, 2018
9mm will be enough. Use hollow point bullets, which are designed to expand on impact and do more damage to flesh. You are correct in that the goal is to hit the brainstem; to do this, aim the gun in your mouth towards the base of your head (where your neck and head meet) or aim it directly on or just above one of your ears, aiming towards the other ear.

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others