Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
The very idea that we are servants of God and our duty is to do good deeds in this life to reserve a spot in the next one has always been a silent acknowledgement that this life is woefully inadequate as it is. Practicing religious people know that they have to do things like sacrifice and give up their needs and comforts for others in order to survive; and they cope with that by having a heaven/nirvana concept—a prize to earn after inevitably experiencing a high degree of stress and discomfort on this planet.

My grandmother engaged in what I would describe as religious roleplay in the days leading up to her death; detailing the idyllic land that God was preparing for her as she was shuffled around in her hospital gown to various surgeries and forced to eat bland hospital food when she had no appetite. I do wonder if it was genuine belief or insanity setting in as she approached her final days with highly diminishing returns (no friends, occasional family visits, lots of sleeping and staring at white walls). You can't tell me someone experiences that without something in their brain or soul getting broken beyond repair; I don't care how many nice nurses there are to talk to you in a sing-song voice.

• Informative
Reactions: R_N, kilowatt, Tobacco and 2 others
rebdomine

rebdomine

“sick or evil or both”
Oct 11, 2023
A lot of people anticipate death yes, but they don't desire it - they fear it. They fear it so much that they latch onto these ridiculous beliefs that everything was planned out by their creator, even the pain and suffering. The thought of an eternal paradise as a reward for enduring life is the only thing keeping them sane, if death was the end that would mean life itself is meaningless and that is just simply too scary for most people to accept. So religion doesn't only comfort people about death but it gives them a sense of purpose in life too.

Reactions: SmollMushroom, Forever Sleep and ClownWorld2023
K

Ktk

✝️
Jul 14, 2023
I may not be adding much to this, but the book

Hope is fucked. It mentions this exact principle, specifically how religion hides the ugly truth. (You will die)

But, religion has nothing to do with desire. As @rebdommie described.

IMO (if you care), I used to be atheist then decided to explore religion with stoicism. Why? Because, it gives me hope to continue. Another reason to continue that's all. Heaven, hell? I don't really care if it exists. I just believe in stoicism just be a good person, don't be a dipshit. And accept death with open arms

R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Great point. If life was so perfect and worth living why people pray for better?