motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Where do you draw the line for what constitutes too much bullying or too much depression? Why shouldn't one go for the option that is guaranteed to eliminate all problems?
Yes, let's tell all the people who get stung by a bee on the finger for the 1st time to immediately cut off their arm or blow their brains out :haha:
Are you saying that every single kid who got bullied a couple of times is doomed to a life of endless misery? :))

TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
Yes, let's tell all the people who get stung by a bee on the finger for the 1st time to immediately cut off their arm or blow their brains out
Cutting their arms off is obviously stupid, because it does not prevent them from being stung somewhere else.
Go ahead and tell me the conditions that a suicide has to meet in order to be considered a rational one..
Are you saying that every single kid who got bullied a couple of times is doomed to a life of endless misery?
I never claimed any such thing, but it is a fact that one misstep is sufficient to make your life hell.
Hence, these children might not be doomed to experience endless misery, but the possibility exists.

Last edited:
Reactions: nolifer
nex

nex

Student
May 3, 2021
Of course the choice to kill oneself can be rational or irrational. If I'm badly in love and the pain is so overwhelming that it drives me into suicide, that's not very rational. But if I spend a year measuring my life, what I have achieved, what I am likely to achieve, what I want from life, weighing all those pros and cons to come to a conclusion, it can be pretty rational.

I think the main issue here is the implication that "irrational = bad = must be prevented" on society's side, which is a faulty way of thought in many ways. I want to stress that I didn't say anything about if suicide was good or bad or right or wrong in the paragraph above--I'm just talking about how rational it is, without judgement either way.

Some would say: you never know what tomorrow brings. Things may change for the better and you may be glad you didn't kill yourself. That's true, but there are problems with this.

A) a rational decision is always made based on current knowledge. There are always unknown factors to each and every rational decision, and estimates of likelihood are part of the rational thought process. If a decision requires omniscience to be rational, no rational decision exists and the entire discussion is moot.

B) tomorrow can go either way. Killing yourself just to avoid a possible horrible event in the future might be just as rational in its own way.

Then there's the implication that mental illness can cloud your judgement. Well, yes, it can. However, the emotions of "healthy" people can also cloud their judgement, evidence is plenty. The notion that mentally ill people are by default less capable of rational thought than "healthy" people doesn't hold any water.

Next, I'd like to turn the argument around. Let's say I decide to live. I just don't want to die, my outlook is dysmal but I want to live and I'm afraid of death. I'm making an irrational decision. Is this a bad decision because it's irrational? Will society force me to die because my decision is irrational?

Claiming that suicide is irrational per se is an easy way out to justify using force. Irrational = bad, therefore institutionalising you is justified. Let them tell you: under which conditions will they accept a healthy 30-year-old's decision to die? You're not likely to get an actual answer.

And I think that reveals the dishonesty about this. I'm not even accusing them of being malicious or lying on purpose. I do think they believe what they say. But they're lying to themselves. Suicide can be rational, and the attempt to delegitimise it on the grounds that it's irrational is weak and irrational itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: blue_muse
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
Cutting their arms off is obviously stupid, because it does not prevent them from being stung somewhere else.
Go ahead and tell me the conditions that a suicide has to meet in order to be considered a rational one..

I never claimed any such thing, but it is a fact that one misstep is sufficient to make your life hell.
Hence, these children might not be doomed to experience endless misery, but the possibility exists.

Philosophy is a bottomless pit of unwinnable arguments. I'm leaving this crap to @Jean Améry & others who actually enjoy it

White Flag Couple GIF by Hollyoaks

eternalmelancholy

eternalmelancholy

waiting for the bus
Mar 24, 2021

Allowing others to control your behavior and thoughts through arbitrary conditions is a slippery slope. They can easily move the goal posts for their own selfish reasons. With something as personal as suicide, only you and you alone can decide.

Claiming that suicide is irrational per se is an easy way out to justify using force. Irrational = bad, therefore institutionalising you is justified. Let them tell you: under which conditions will they accept a healthy 30-year-old's decision to die? You're not likely to get an actual answer.

Even if you were able to prove that suicide was irrational that is completely irrelevant. Since only the individual can decide for themselves if their lives are worth living or not.

Philosophy is a bottomless pit of unwinnable arguments.

They are thought exercises with no definitive answers. It is supposed to sharpen your logic and expand your worldview by exposing yourself to new and opposing viewpoints.

Reactions: nolifer and Bleh
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
They are thought exercises with no definitive answers. It is supposed to sharpen your logic and expand your worldview by exposing yourself to new and opposing viewpoints.
Then expand your worldview & accept that your answers are not impeccably correct... :))
I am not getting sucked back into this - I wanna kill my brain, not sharpen it :))

J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
It is not up to me or you to decide whether someone's suicide is rational. Only the individual can make that decision. If someone commits suicide for whatever reason it was justified from their point of view.

The lives of the passengers are not his to take. Only his life is in his hands.

As for some of your other statements I am not sure why you are giving extremely exaggerated scenarios in an attempt to prove your point. That is just seeking confirmation bias instead of engaging in open dialog. For someone who calls themselves 'Enlightened' I find your attempt to overwhelm others into submission by sheer volume of text very perplexing.

Are you trolling or do you actually believe your own nonsense? You did nothing but posit an absolutist dogma ('alle suicides are rational') with no empirical data or even logical argumentation to back it up (whether people 'own' themselves, which is beyond the realm of ascertainable fact anyway, has nothing to do with rational decision making) and yet you have the nerve of accusing me of bias while refusing to engage with my arguments except to contradict yourself. Yet Im supposedly refusing 'open dialogue'...

What you did prove is that you're completely incapable of sound reasoning: first you claim all suicides are rational then you claim it's up to neither you or me to ascertain that. Which you clearly did by assuming all suicides are rational. That it would be morally wrong for that pilot to kill others in his suicide attempt has nothing whatsoever to do with the question of whether that action is rational or not. According to your dogma that pilot acted rationally: 'all suicides' logically includes any suicidal pilot flying a loaded passenger jet into a mountain on purpose. Regardless of the morality of said action. Aslong as he considered his action rationally sound it somehow was rationally sound.

Why would you consider rationality to be merely in the mind of the individual and not morality? You clearly feel entitled to proclaim the action of our hypothetical pilot morally wrong. Why should that be the case?

This is nothing but a poor and ill-mannered attempt at rationalizing your own prejudice. You display the kind of rigid thinking psychological research found to be typical of suicidal individuals. Which is rather ironic given that the topic is the rationality of suicide. To top it off you seem to be under the impression that stating an ethical, i.e. normative position serves as an argument to settle an empirical question. That's like stating god exists because he needs to exist in order for the universe to be just, life fair etcetera. It's wishful thinking: plain and simple.

If you're not interested in proper, dispassionate debate why did you even bother to reply? I could present a 1001 examples drawn from reality (including by people who heard voices telling them to kill themselves or were drunk out of their mind and couldn't reason their way out of a paper bag) yet you would dismiss them all purely because they'd contradict your precious dogma. Which clearly rests on the wrong assumption that individuals define what rationality is (including logic which is as stupid as claiming mathematics is ideosyncratic) and are always capable of rational thought which is simply empirically untrue.

You're clearly heavily emotionally invested in your opinion which makes you blind to the obvious namely that reality isn't black and white and people do commit and attempt to commit suicide in an emotionally distraught state which precludes rationality. To deny that is to deny both everyday experience (including by people who admitted they acted rashly after surviving a very serious suicide attempt through sheer luck) and human nature itself. Even if it's doubtful rational suicide is as rare as some suicidologists claim it is.

Suicide by pilot resulting in the death of passengers is a certifiable cause of plane crashes and people do burn themselves to death: clearly my examples were not in any way 'exaggerated' as they are rooted in reality. That you refuse to acknowledge facts is yet another example of your systemic irationality.

Only fanatics deal in absolutes. This pro suicide rethoric is just as bad as the pro life BS: both are extremes while the truth lies somewhere between them. This is a hotly debated topic both in the medical and scientific community and in the philosophical literature yet you actually believe you have found the answer. To the point of completely ignoring any arguments to the contrary.

To my knowledge only one philosopher in history is rumoured to have claimed suicide is rational under all circumstances and his arguments are debatable at best not to mention his original work is lost and we only have a few fragments and interpretation by others which may or may not be correct.

There actually is a way to semi-reasonably defend the claim that suicide is always rational which you're clearly ignorant of. I'm not going to fuel your ego driven nihilism by explaining and even then it's not necessary to accept that conclusion since it rests on certain assumptions about reality which cannot be strictly proven.

Why on earth would you assume I'd call myself 'enlightened'? Or that I'd somehow attach importance to convincing people I don't know personally? Or that I'd somehow would make up a lot of arguments/use many words to confuse and overwhelm people like you?

You're rather fond of making assumptions, aren't you? You baselessly assume every one of the 800.000+ individuals who kill themselves the world over each year did so after cool and careful deliberation (which you cannot possibly know) just like you baselessly assumed I'd be callous enough to refer to myself as 'enlightened' (which in turn would rest on the assumption that I'd give weight to a religious concept) while it's simply a title automatically given for a number of posts. I don't need to convince anyone of anything least of all here: if someone presents a good argument or counter-argument I'll accept it and alter my original position as I value reason and the truth. You clearly don't: the world simply is as you want it to be... How is that working out for you so far?

You actually complain about having to read more than a few paragraphs... What could you possibly hope to achieve by admitting you either have difficulty reading or that you're simply lazy? Are you actually proud of either of those things? If you found reading that fairly short passage difficult (clearly you failed at understanding it) reading books must be excruciating.

Don't bother with more nonsense: I wouldn't want to hurt your fragile mind and brain with another unbearable volume of words let alone arguments. Fools are a dime a dozen and the bigger fool is he who wastes time on fools. There's an ignore button for a reason.

I do hope your mind will ever come into contact with reality and you'll realize dogmatic statements about reality are almost always wrong. If you had actually made sense, shown a willingness to argue and avoided silly ad hominem sneers I would have heard you out and would have gladly debated you hoping to learn something or think more nuanced about the matter but this is clearly impossible and therefore a waste of time.

The best of luck to you. I'm sure you have a valid reason for being here.

Reactions: ayb
deepinlimbo

deepinlimbo

I want to Insert something profound here
May 30, 2021
Are you trolling or do you actually believe your own nonsense? You did nothing but posit an absolutist dogma ('alle suicides are rational') with no empirical data or even logical argumentation to back it up (whether people 'own' themselves, which is beyond the realm of ascertainable fact anyway, has nothing to do with rational decision making) and yet you have the nerve of accusing me of bias while refusing to engage with my arguments except to contradict yourself. Yet Im supposedly refusing 'open dialogue'...

What you did prove is that you're completely incapable of sound reasoning: first you claim all suicides are rational then you claim it's up to neither you or me to ascertain that. Which you clearly did by assuming all suicides are rational. That it would be morally wrong for that pilot to kill others in his suicide attempt has nothing whatsoever to do with the question of whether that action is rational or not. According to your dogma that pilot acted rationally: 'all suicides' logically includes any suicidal pilot flying a loaded passenger jet into a mountain on purpose. Regardless of the morality of said action. Aslong as he considered his action rationally sound it somehow was rationally sound.

Why would you consider rationality to be merely in the mind of the individual and not morality? You clearly feel entitled to proclaim the action of our hypothetical pilot morally wrong. Why should that be the case?

This is nothing but a poor and ill-mannered attempt at rationalizing your own prejudice. You display the kind of rigid thinking psychological research found to be typical of suicidal individuals. Which is rather ironic given that the topic is the rationality of suicide. To top it off you seem to be under the impression that stating an ethical, i.e. normative position serves as an argument to settle an empirical question. That's like stating god exists because he needs to exist in order for the universe to be just, life fair etcetera. It's wishful thinking: plain and simple.

If you're not interested in proper, dispassionate debate why did you even bother to reply? I could present a 1001 examples drawn from reality (including by people who heard voices telling them to kill themselves or were drunk out of their mind and couldn't reason their way out of a paper bag) yet you would dismiss them all purely because they'd contradict your precious dogma. Which clearly rests on the wrong assumption that individuals define what rationality is (including logic which is as stupid as claiming mathematics is ideosyncratic) and are always capable of rational thought which is simply empirically untrue.

You're clearly heavily emotionally invested in your opinion which makes you blind to the obvious namely that reality isn't black and white and people do commit and attempt to commit suicide in an emotionally distraught state which precludes rationality. To deny that is to deny both everyday experience (including by people who admitted they acted rashly after surviving a very serious suicide attempt through sheer luck) and human nature itself. Even if it's doubtful rational suicide is as rare as some suicidologists claim it is.

Suicide by pilot resulting in the death of passengers is a certifiable cause of plane crashes and people do burn themselves to death: clearly my examples were not in any way 'exaggerated' as they are rooted in reality. That you refuse to acknowledge facts is yet another example of your systemic irationality.

Only fanatics deal in absolutes. This pro suicide rethoric is just as bad as the pro life BS: both are extremes while the truth lies somewhere between them. This is a hotly debated topic both in the medical and scientific community and in the philosophical literature yet you actually believe you have found the answer. To the point of completely ignoring any arguments to the contrary.

To my knowledge only one philosopher in history is rumoured to have claimed suicide is rational under all circumstances and his arguments are debatable at best not to mention his original work is lost and we only have a few fragments and interpretation by others which may or may not be correct.

There actually is a way to semi-reasonably defend the claim that suicide is always rational which you're clearly ignorant of. I'm not going to fuel your ego driven nihilism by explaining and even then it's not necessary to accept that conclusion since it rests on certain assumptions about reality which cannot be strictly proven.

Why on earth would you assume I'd call myself 'enlightened'? Or that I'd somehow attach importance to convincing people I don't know personally? Or that I'd somehow would make up a lot of arguments/use many words to confuse and overwhelm people like you?

You're rather fond of making assumptions, aren't you? You baselessly assume every one of the 800.000+ individuals who kill themselves the world over each year did so after cool and careful deliberation (which you cannot possibly know) just like you baselessly assumed I'd be callous enough to refer to myself as 'enlightened' (which in turn would rest on the assumption that I'd give weight to a religious concept) while it's simply a title automatically given for a number of posts. I don't need to convince anyone of anything least of all here: if someone presents a good argument or counter-argument I'll accept it and alter my original position as I value reason and the truth. You clearly don't: the world simply is as you want it to be... How is that working out for you so far?

You actually complain about having to read more than a few paragraphs... What could you possibly hope to achieve by admitting you either have difficulty reading or that you're simply lazy? Are you actually proud of either of those things? If you found reading that fairly short passage difficult (clearly you failed at understanding it) reading books must be excruciating.

Don't bother with more nonsense: I wouldn't want to hurt your fragile mind and brain with another unbearable volume of words let alone arguments. Fools are a dime a dozen and the bigger fool is he who wastes time on fools. There's an ignore button for a reason.

I do hope your mind will ever come into contact with reality and you'll realize dogmatic statements about reality are almost always wrong. If you had actually made sense, shown a willingness to argue and avoided silly ad hominem sneers I would have heard you out and would have gladly debated you hoping to learn something or think more nuanced about the matter but this is clearly impossible and therefore a waste of time.

The best of luck to you. I'm sure you have a valid reason for being here.
What happens if the pilot and everyone on board wanted to die? Is that rational?

N

nolifer

Dec 25, 2020
People who are against suicide and arguing about suicide being irrational are most likely people like Elon Musk who thinks it's a great idea to send people on a 100+ year long space journey to Mars where a generation of people are forced to be born on a shitty spaceship and live their whole life on that spaceship where their only purpose to to breed new kids who will be adults by the time they arrive at Mars. I really hope that plan fails because everyone on that spaceship commits suicide, no one wants to live a life like that. That's why these types of scientific people don't want to give us freedom over our own lives.