How did you learn English?

• Total voters
Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
I'm curious how many here are communicating in their 2nd/3rd language.

I need motivation to "re-bilingualise" myself. I'm so rusty and don't like my second language but I'm behind by not using it where I live.
I learned French from Kindergarten/KG. I've picked up other languages but I *was* fluent in French before I started working in other countries.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: death137, Deleted member 4993, leiche and 2 others
Mila

Mila

Jul 18, 2020

I need motivation to "re-bilingualise" myself. I'm so rusty and don't like my second language but I'm behind by not using it where I live.
I learned French from Kindergarten/KG. I've picked up other languages but I *was* fluent in French before I started working in other countries.

I can only select 2! Sorry

Reactions: Deleted member 4993
Mila

Mila

Jul 18, 2020
Which language(s)?

English. I understand Portuguese and Italian but can hardly speak. I tried Mandarin but gave up. I was about to start French but ctb got on the way.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, KleinerWolf and Deleted member 18655
Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
English. I understand Portuguese and Italian but can hardly speak. I tried Mandarin but gave up. I was about to start French but ctb got on the way.
Your English is near perfect! This is why I made this post. I need to get back to this level in French. ASAP.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Mila
Mila

Mila

Jul 18, 2020
Your English is near perfect! This is why I made this post. I need to get back to this level in French. ASAP.

Thank you. I love English language and had the chance to learn it in every possible way. French is so sweet; just my thought. Go for it!

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Deleted member 18655
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I started learning English since kindergarten and I watched a lot of English videos when I was small and later I started watching cartoons/movies and shows in English and also English speaking youtubers. I had English through all through kindergarten to now (still studying) so yeah, I've always been interested in getting better in my English

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Deleted member 18655
catsarecool

catsarecool

Remember me for me, I need to set my spirit free
Jul 2, 2020
I mostly learned through anime/manga/tv shows and playing videogames when I was younger. Also what really helped later on was finding friends online to talk with on voice calls.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Mila and Deleted member 18655
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
As a Chinaman, I learnt English in school for a little bit.
However most of my English had been self-taught through watching youtube for the past 10 years,
also because I study/work in English speaking countries so I guess that helps too.

I'm learning German. :P
And I'll most likely be learning French after that.

Never too late to start. :hihi:

Honestly the more languages you know, the more friends & opportunities you will have.
I think it does give you an edge. It's also really fun. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Homecoming and Mila
Pupuce

Pupuce

Nobody exists on purpose. Come ctb
Apr 19, 2019
I'm french, and learned english mainly through YouTube, and I managed to be 1 mistake away from full marks in the toeic, which was quite frustrating.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Mila and KleinerWolf
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
I'm french, and learned english mainly through YouTube, and I managed to be 1 mistake away from full marks in the toeic, which was quite frustrating.
YouTube Army Unites! :heart:

• Hugs

TW She/Her
Aug 9, 2020

I'm french and best ways for me to learn english was to :
1 - Go to England and see english friends there
2 - English-speaking movies or TV shows (without subtitles or with english subtitles but NEVER french subtitles). There are tons of really good french movies and TV shows that I can recommend. Youtube videos, tutos webzine...
3 - Social networks

We can speak in private in french that's already a step if you wish, I don't consider my conversation boring. But that's for you to decide.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Deleted member 18655, Mila and 1 other person
RicRac

RicRac

Aug 15, 2020
I'm French, I spent two years in London, that helps.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and KleinerWolf
Eren

Eren

Si hablas español mándame un MP
Oct 27, 2018
I learned at school. But my English is very basic and I use the translator constantly.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Mila and KleinerWolf
Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
I'm french and best ways for me to learn english was to :
1 - Go to England and see english friends there
2 - English-speaking movies or TV shows (without subtitles or with english subtitles but NEVER french subtitles). There are tons of really good french movies and TV shows that I can recommend. Youtube videos, tutos webzine...
3 - Social network
D'accord. :ehh:
Je dois m'immerger dans la langue et je dois pratiquer! Je dois penser en francais encore.
-Je vis a une ville bilingue et il y a des groupes pour conversation.
-Je ne cherchais pas des groupes a Internet! Merci pour les suggestions.

Je vais chercher des groupes a Internet aujourd'hui.
Mille mercis :heart:

• Love
Reactions: 141592653

TW She/Her
Aug 9, 2020
D'accord. :ehh:
Je dois m'immerger dans la langue et je dois pratiquer! Je dois penser en francais encore.
-Je vis a une ville bilingue et il y a des groupes pour conversation.
-Je ne cherchais pas des groupes a Internet! Merci pour les suggestions.

Je vais chercher des groupes a Internet aujourd'hui.
Mille mercis :heart:

En vrai si t'es dans une ville où il y a des groupes de gens qui parlent français c'est le mieux. Dans mon université, il y a beaucoup d'étrangers et ils se regroupent souvent entre eux parce qu'ils ne parlent pas français. Comme tout le monde trouve que je suis bizarre, je vais avec les étrangers, ils m'acceptent mieux. Donc tout le monde parle anglais. Alors par contre j'ai un accent anglais déplorable du coup, parce que je parle pas avec des natifs. Mais je m'en fous pas mal ^^

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, icanhasnick and Deleted member 18655
Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
I learned at school. But my English is very basic and I use the translator constantly.
I'm still writing everything in reverso.net to check my French grammar. :shy:
je suis bizarre, je vais avec les étrangers, ils m'acceptent mieux. Donc tout le monde parle anglais. Alors par contre j'ai un accent anglais déplorable du coup, parce que je parle pas avec des natifs. Mais je m'en fous pas mal ^^
Moi ausai! :smiling:
Quand je vivais aux autres pays, je n'etais pas avec les autres anglos. Mes amis étaient les gens du pays natifs.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I think that for most of us, it's a little bit of all. We learn the basics of English in school and then, for the better or the worse, get exposed to English in a variety of contexts. We refine our English by writing and through interaction, e.g. in communities like this one. I didn't really care about English when I went to school, but I taught myself, because there were too many interesting books, movies, games, and forums in English only.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, KleinerWolf, Skathon and 1 other person
leiche

leiche

i need a cigarette
Aug 19, 2020
i'm russian, we study english at school. i also listened to an english music a lot and played games with no russian supported, that really helped me, so english was never a hard subject for me, but i still do a lot of stupid mistakes....

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, overcomingfear, KleinerWolf and 2 others
icanhasnick

icanhasnick

Student
Sep 3, 2020
Took classes as a child/teen (long ago, I'm 31 now), but I'd say that for the most part I learnt it from the interwebz, as an adult, from reading it all day every day.

Also, I'm generally a great lover of languages, they are likely what has given me the most pleasure in this life. And I kinda regret that if i ctb now, that means I won't ever get to know new languages, nor perfect those I already more or less know. My mother tongue is Spanish. I speak English and German rather well, and French rather poorly. I also read some Romanian. They are the coolest shit ever, somehow they feel like both fucking and travelling at once.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
O

overcomingfear

Experienced
Sep 1, 2020
I did learn it in school but i didn't choose it in the poll cuz i don't think it helped me learn that much. Also took tutoring because mama said "u gotta learn son" it was not effective too i think.As someone already said video games helped a lot, figuring out games in a foreign language at like 5 years old helps tremendously. In my teen years i learned from youtube, watching English vids almost exclusively since.
Spanish and French look super easy but I'm too unmotivated to learn

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Skathon, Deleted member 18655 and Deleted member 4993
Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
Took classes as a child/teen (long ago, I'm 31 now), but I'd say that for the most part I learnt it from the interwebz, as an adult, from reading it all day every day.
This is what I'm missing - the "every day" piece. I'm a glottophile too. I just don't like my second language (perhaps because it's a political issue in my country) and any other language can have my time and attention, happily. But French is a chore for me. A chore I need to get going on. I potentially have a job, working in French, in just a few weeks. I'm so rusty, and lazy! My hope is that my bus will come before I have to face this. :wink:

• Aww..
Reactions: overcomingfear
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
I'm a native Amharic speaker. I learned English by d/t ways but mostly through school

• Hugs