• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Weather

Weather

Student
Oct 18, 2020
I often fixate on this thing that I really want(ed). It's not a material possession or something I can earn -- just something most people are naturally able to have (think like -- having a grandmother or having a healthy heart). Anyway, there's this person I loathe and she has this thing I want and I frequently lament, jealously, 'why does she have this and I don't; what makes her so much more deserving than me,' etc.

So, today my spouse -- obviously sick of me talking about this -- says that I have willed it into not being and sends me down this rabbit hole of reading articles about quantum physics and reality. Like, that our thoughts carry wave energy and can alter our reality. I mean, I guess it's a bit of a stretch and not that simple, but... I don't know. It sounds like some new age bullsh*t, but apparently it's a thing quantum physicists have been talking about for decades. I'm not really a science person, but... anyone into this? What do you think? Can you help me understand? Are we really creating our lousy realities?

Reactions: LittleJem and Kat!
T

TotallyIsolated

Mage
Nov 25, 2019
Its just psychology, not quantum physics.

First of all, to me it sounds like just what life is like, i.e. not fair! Don't be so hard on yourself. You can't reasonably be blamed for creating this situation, but you can control how you react to it and your perspective. You might be self-sabotaging, and possibly over-analysing the situation. Its normal to feel things like jealousy or resentment, but try not to fixate on the not-having, or that this person you don't like having the thing.

When were depressed we can tend to amplify the negatives and omit or ignore any possible positives. This person you don't like doesn't have the thing because they 'deserve it', and by the same token you don't lack it because you don't 'deserve it'. Life is just unfair, and things don't happen for a reason or according to some grand plan.

Is it possible that you're catastrophising? Do you use words like 'never' or 'always' when you think or talk about it? Is it that you dont have the thing, or that you cant have it? I'm not judging you, I just wonder if the way you think about it is part of the problem. It might be something that you can change. For instance, having a healthy heart is something you could be changed.

You say your spouse is 'obviously sick oy talking about this' which is kinda harsh on you. Perhaps they are frustrated, just not with you but rather the way you're thinking about it. Something my therapist reminded me of, is that people who aren't depressed dont necessarily understand how it feels. Perhaps they see you differently to the way you see yourself.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I often fixate on this thing that I really want(ed). It's not a material possession or something I can earn -- just something most people are naturally able to have (think like -- having a grandmother or having a healthy heart). Anyway, there's this person I loathe and she has this thing I want and I frequently lament, jealously, 'why does she have this and I don't; what makes her so much more deserving than me,' etc.

So, today my spouse -- obviously sick of me talking about this -- says that I have willed it into not being and sends me down this rabbit hole of reading articles about quantum physics and reality. Like, that our thoughts carry wave energy and can alter our reality. I mean, I guess it's a bit of a stretch and not that simple, but... I don't know. It sounds like some new age bullsh*t, but apparently it's a thing quantum physicists have been talking about for decades. I'm not really a science person, but... anyone into this? What do you think? Can you help me understand? Are we really creating our lousy realities?

U

usernameforhere

Student
Nov 15, 2020
I believe that we can influence our reality through consciousness. Ever play this game a child called punch buggy and your sister punches you in the car on a road trip and you never noticed how many Volkswagens there are but now that your looking for it you seek them everywhere and sometime into the trip your spotting them before your sibling.

Like all interesting things it's complicated though. You didn't cause the Volkswagens to be there you just started noticing them.

move seen some interesting videos about people who say they are lucky and the people who made the video but cash on the ground in front of them and the lucky people saw it but people who felt unlucky didnt.

If you don't have something you want you can influence the chance of taking advantage of situation to get it by thinking of yourself as lucky in that arena.

throw some pebbles in a lake and notice they collide and interfere with each other. Lacking something you want isn't a personal failure, it could be a netter of other waves interfering. You probably can't force things but you can increase the chances of taking advantage of opportunity to get what you want by thinking your lucky in that area..

Good luck with what you want

L

lugerepair

I don't like life
Oct 15, 2020

No, that's not a real thing. Quantum physicists don't say that sort of thing at all. As you seem to have guessed, it's 100% made-up new age bullshit, and sounds a lot like something called The Law of Attraction (which is not an actual scientific law). Thoughts can't alter our reality through vibrations. Nothing about quantum physics suggests that would be the case. We are not creating our lousy reality, and suggesting that people in bad circumstances have brought it upon themselves is pretty harmful generally.

T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
Quantum means a quantity or amount. It was applied to the observation of electrons that exhibit discreet levels of energy. Since the Bohr model of the atom has deficiencies (such as single point approximations) it fails to give consistent predictions. As a result, instead of finding a better model, successive physicists have invented screwier and screwier reasons and theories for this failure. Frequently the word "quantum" is used to make such explinations sound sciency.

The so-called "law of attraction" gained a lot of traction in the late 1800s. It theorized that one could get what one wanted by thinking about it. It was presented in occult circles as a "precipitation from the astral plane through the etheric plane into the material plane".

The reason a lot of these ideas become popular is that they often appeal to what we want to hear. The reason we can be taken in is not that we are not "scientific" and can be fooled. It is more because we have lost connection with truth. A religion or philosophy of life that elevates truth is a real help to avoid the baloney is so freely encountered these days.

• Love
Reactions: LittleJem
L

lugerepair

I don't like life
Oct 15, 2020
This doesn't mean what you think it means. A photon seems to be both a particle and a wave until it is "measured", and scientists can influence how it behaves (as a wave or a particle) depending on how they measure it, which is what they mean by "reality is what you make it", but that's just a clickbait-y way of saying "by choosing how you measure a photon, you can choose whether it will behave as a particle or as a wave". And in this case, it seems that how you measure the photon determines how it has behaved in the past, making cause come after effect. But that does not imply that thoughts "carry wave energy and can alter our reality".

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
My bf is into this bullshit. When my depression started coming back the other night and I was in tears (due to hormones) he tried to tell me to take command of my mind. I was in command of it in that I like him too much to smack him for saying this bullshit to me!

I do agree with @TotallyIsolated who is as wise as their title on SS! When we are depressed we get fixated on things cos our minds are focussed that way.

Reactions: TotallyIsolated
M

massiveblackhole

Student
Sep 4, 2020
Isn't this "The Secret" bullshit? Like if you will yourself to be rich/find a loving partner it will happen? Personally I think that's bollocks. Sure your attitude/motivation plays a part in being successful but you have to actually get off your ass and do something about it. Physics dictates the rock aint gonna push itself without a force of energy to move it. No one I know can do that shit with their mind only.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I believed I was gonna win the lottery for years (due to a trip on lsd...) I spent about 150 on scratch cards. Won about 3 quid. I still have 3 scratchcards in my drawer! Can I think them into being winning cards?!

E

Endeavour

Mage
Dec 13, 2020
I really hate seeing these threads.

"what do you think about quantum physics and reality". I often think they have no idea of quantum physics and I'm not sure they fully grasp reality either.

I don't know what answers they expect, like smeone here is going to give them some revelation that no one else knows and it will reveal the answer to life, the universe, and how to get N from A?

Please no more, life is short enough (especially for those of us on here) we don't need it making any shorter.

signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
The main problem is that we're in the thing we're trying to look at, so its very difficult to really know what's going on because you can't separate from it, get 'outside' of it.