Desperate_Soul

Desperate_Soul

I'll See You Guys On The Other Side Of The Rainbow
Aug 26, 2018
What does it mean when someone says 'you deserve to be happy'? What makes someone worthy enough to deserve to have the privilege of happiness? Do I deserve to be happy? When I CTB, do I deserve to be at peace? Do I deserve to end my suffering? What did I do to deserve happiness?

Reactions: lostinthedream, DeathBecomesMe, raskolnikov and 4 others
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
CS Lewis said humans have no "right" to happiness.

I disagree.

Interesting post.

Reactions: lv-gras, weedoge and worldexploder
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
In my opinion, it's just another throwaway term like "it gets better". It's not about what we deserve, but what we are gonna get as sentient beings. I don't think anyone deserves to suffer yet suffering is an integral part of our existence. As far as happy goes, like love, it's a romanticized word that isn't really grounded in reality.

I prefer the word "content" - with neuroticism being the polar opposite. Where you fall on the spectrum is determined by your genetics, neurological makeup, and the environment you grew up in.

Yes you deserve contentment and yes you deserve the right to end your suffering (everyone does). The truth is - life sucks! Our goal is to try and make it suck less...which I am personally incapable of doing. Some people can pull it off quite well. If we keep searching for happy, we will wind up dissapointed because what we are searching for doesn't exist. Plesentries don't tend to last for long. Does this make any sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: Slacker and lv-gras
MissLisa

MissLisa

Student
Sep 13, 2018
I believe everyone deserves to be happy

Reactions: lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and worldexploder
couldntthinkofaname

couldntthinkofaname

Mage
Aug 31, 2018
there is no point in living if youre not happy

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, betteroffdead, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
CS Lewis said humans have no "right" to happiness.

I disagree.

Interesting post.
I think we're born in a state opposite to that that religion often tells us. We're born with nothingness and no sin and we deserve happiness until proven otherwise. There's a grey area where it gets confusing because how "bad" does a person have to be to say they don't deserve happiness? Often people become bad because they didn't experience the happiness they deserved right?

Life is just a sick joke and whether we are happy or not doesn't have any bearing on whether we deserve it.

Reactions: DeathBecomesMe, lv-gras and worldexploder
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
In my opinion, it's just another throwaway term like "it gets better". It's not about what we deserve, but what we are gonna get as sentient beings. I don't think anyone deserves to suffer yet suffering is an integral part of our existence. As far as happy goes, like love, it's a romanticized word that isn't really grounded in reality.

I prefer the word "content" - with neuroticism being the polar opposite. Where you fall on the spectrum is determined by your genetics, neurological makeup, and the environment you grew up in.

Yes you deserve contentment and yes you deserve the right to end your suffering (everyone does). The truth is - life sucks! Our goal is to try and make it suck less...which I am personally incapable of doing. Some people can pull it off quite well. If we keep searching for happy, we will wind up dissapointed because what we are searching for doesn't exist. Plesentries don't tend to last for long.

Did what I write make any sense? Or does it sound stupid or misguided?

DeathBecomesMe

DeathBecomesMe

Student
Sep 9, 2018
Did what I write make any sense? Or does it sound stupid or misguided?
Yes it makes sense. Happiness is an up, and reality and life will knock you down at some point. It seems like you are advocating for more of a contentment in the middle to make the downs more level, instead of wild swings causing havoc on stability.

Reactions: worldexploder and lv-gras
Brokenanddeadinside

Brokenanddeadinside

Arcanist
Aug 8, 2018
I'll never be happy and have given up on even trying to be it always end up going to shit.

Reactions: Pointlessabyss, betteroffdead, DeathBecomesMe and 1 other person