• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Seul

Seul

Dec 3, 2020
My two recovery options, which will be my last resort:
a) private psychotherapy
b) private psychotherapy while begging my NHS case manager or private therapist for antipsychotics

Context:
Going to have to organise cheap private therapy because the NHS stuff overlaps with school which is the most positive thing in my life and missing it makes me feel incredibly anxious. My case manager has previously said that antipsychotics would almost definitely help me but he didn't give them to me because I'd try to overdose, I'm too young and one side effect could be weight gain. He also said it would be a band aid for underlying issues but tbh I think I need a band aid right now. I've had cbt twice, but the second time the therapist referred me to a crisis team on the first appointment so it doesn't really count.. I feel like I can't survive on just therapy because it won't change my feelings and I don't see my thought process changing any time soon. I've gone through a bunch of the NHS mental health teams very quickly this year so I'm not optimistic about starting again with yet another team.

My questions:
1. Can anyone share their experiences with antipsychotics? Especially if you're young (I'm 18)
2. Do they use 'psychotherapy' interchangeably with cbt? And has it helped anyone?
3. Will begging them for meds (when me and case manager have agreed to not mention them again) stop them from giving me any?
4. What would you do in my position?

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

🚫Safety is a figment of the imagination🚫
Jul 1, 2020
may i ask why you feel the need to beg for them and why you agreed to never mention them again?

Seul

Seul

Dec 3, 2020
may i ask why you feel the need to beg for them and why you agreed to never mention them again?
He brought up meds every single appointment to say I'm probably too young and asking what I thought (I assumed they wouldn't help because he said they wouldn't). This made me anxious so I asked him what meds he was actually talking about in our last appointment. He explained how antipsychotics would help and why he wouldn't give them to me so I said okay and he said we won't talk about them again because he decided to not give me any.
I feel the need to beg because I just don't think anyone will give me any. Apart from a few hanging and compression attempts, I 'function fine'. As in I get out of bed to go to school and I shower.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
may i ask why you feel that you specifically need an antipsychotic?

Reactions: GoneGoneGone
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Because he said that's what he'd prescribe. I thought it was weird tbh but he said it would treat my symptoms
may i ask what your symptoms are? if youd rather keep this more private you can PM me.

Seul

Seul

Dec 3, 2020
may i ask what your symptoms are?
He literally just said 'symptoms' and I didn't ask specifically which ones he meant but he's previously said parasuicidal behaviour, mood swings and trouble focussing. I also have trouble sleeping but I can't even remember if I told him that

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
is it possible for you to get a new doctor? an antipsychotic is for Antipsychotic medications can reduce or relieve symptoms of psychosis, such as delusions (false beliefs) and hallucinations (seeing or hearing something that is not there). Formerly known as major tranquilizers and neuroleptics, antipsychotic medications are the main class of drugs used to treat people with schizophrenia. They are also used to treat people with psychosis that occurs in bipolar disorder, depression and Alzheimer's disease. Other uses of antipsychotics include stabilizing moods in bipolar disorder, reducing anxiety in anxiety disorders and reducing tics in Tourette syndrome. none of the things you have mentioned.

Seul

Seul

Dec 3, 2020
is it possible for you to get a new doctor? an antipsychotic is for Antipsychotic medications can reduce or relieve symptoms of psychosis, such as delusions (false beliefs) and hallucinations (seeing or hearing something that is not there). Formerly known as major tranquilizers and neuroleptics, antipsychotic medications are the main class of drugs used to treat people with schizophrenia. They are also used to treat people with psychosis that occurs in bipolar disorder, depression and Alzheimer's disease. Other uses of antipsychotics include stabilizing moods in bipolar disorder, reducing anxiety in anxiety disorders and reducing tics in Tourette syndrome. none of the things you have mentioned.
That's what I was thinking when he was talking!! I think he was going for stabilising mood and reducing anxiety (because my leg jumps so he always thinks I'm worried). He said they'd stop me from feeling like catching the bus which is why they seem appealing to me right now. I don't understand how an antipsychotic would do that though

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
That's what I was thinking when he was talking!! I think he was going for stabilising mood and reducing anxiety (because my leg jumps so he always thinks I'm worried). He said they'd stop me from feeling like catching the bus which is why they seem appealing to me right now. I don't understand how an antipsychotic would do that though
yeah my best advice in this situation would be to get a new doctor

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Just to add to this I got prescribed them to help with sleep.
From what I've seen a lot of medications for mental purposes have a second purpose. But yeah I can see this. The olanzapine had me sleeping WAY too much. But I don't advise going to something with the side effects that antipsychotics have if you don't need something that strong. Melatonin is a good place to start and OTC.

Reactions: Mentalmick and Seul
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
My two recovery options, which will be my last resort:
a) private psychotherapy
b) private psychotherapy while begging my NHS case manager or private therapist for antipsychotics

Context:
Going to have to organise cheap private therapy because the NHS stuff overlaps with school which is the most positive thing in my life and missing it makes me feel incredibly anxious. My case manager has previously said that antipsychotics would almost definitely help me but he didn't give them to me because I'd try to overdose, I'm too young and one side effect could be weight gain. He also said it would be a band aid for underlying issues but tbh I think I need a band aid right now. I've had cbt twice, but the second time the therapist referred me to a crisis team on the first appointment so it doesn't really count.. I feel like I can't survive on just therapy because it won't change my feelings and I don't see my thought process changing any time soon. I've gone through a bunch of the NHS mental health teams very quickly this year so I'm not optimistic about starting again with yet another team.

My questions:
1. Can anyone share their experiences with antipsychotics? Especially if you're young (I'm 18)
2. Do they use 'psychotherapy' interchangeably with cbt? And has it helped anyone?
3. Will begging them for meds (when me and case manager have agreed to not mention them again) stop them from giving me any?
4. What would you do in my position?
Be careful with the psychotic medication unless you experience any of those symptoms. I got given 2 as a way to sleep, came her for advice and I'm glad I didn't take it. I'm not a doctor of course. But if you wanna explain in detail what are your symptoms maybe I can try and help you a bit. Believe me I tried it all just to heal a simple depression And anxiety. Hugs

Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
Antipsychotics are an extremely heavy duty option, and likely overkill with questionable efficacy (IMO) for the symptoms you described.

If I were suggested antipsychotics for the symptoms you described, I would have asked the physician to refer me to the studies that showed efficacy for their utilization for those symptoms. Highly doubtful there are any studies, as your symptoms are not those for which antipsychotics are intended. Your doctor likely is recommending antipsychotics "off label". Your doctor seems the kind of person who goes duck hunting with an MK47.

I agree with the recommendation to find a new doctor. Psychiatry is like an art form, in all aspects, including each psychiatrist's approach with medications. Some are extremely heavy handed with their approach, as clearly seems to be the case with your doctor. Just as some painters love to paint with the color blue, some psychiatrists love to prescribe antipsychotics. Plenty of low quality artists in the world and plenty of quacks in the medical profession.

To address your OP, I have experience with three antipsychotics for treatment of bipolar disorder - Latuda, Seroquel, and Zyprexa. Had significant side effects with all three, and if it wasn't for the fact that I struggle with mania (without psychosis or hallucinations), neither my psychiatrist nor I would have ever tried these as an aggressive treatment option; but, only after exhausting other less risky treatment options did we venture down this path. Currently, I take Zyprexa prn (as needed), and it's the only thing that has ever had any efficacy (most times) for my manic episodes.

Without a formal mental illness diagnosis suitable for treatment with antipsychotics, based on psychiatric studies, I would never agree to take those meds for what you described.

Last edited:
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Antipsychotics are an extremely heavy duty option, and likely overkill with questionable efficacy (IMO) for the symptoms you described.

If I were suggested antipsychotics for the symptoms you described, I would have asked the physician to refer me to the studies that showed efficacy for their utilization for those symptoms. Highly doubtful there are any studies, as your symptoms are not those for which antipsychotics are intended. Your doctor likely is recommending antipsychotics "off label". Your doctor seems the kind of person who goes duck hunting with an MK47.

I agree with the recommendation to find a new doctor. Psychiatry is like an art form, in all aspects, including each psychiatrist's approach with medications. Some are extremely heavy handed with their approach, as clearly seems to be the case with your doctor. Just as some painters love to paint with the color blue, some psychiatrists love to prescribe antipsychotics. Plenty of low quality artists in the world and plenty of quacks in the medical profession.

To address your OP, I have experience with three antipsychotics for treatment of bipolar disorder - Latuda, Seroquel, and Zyprexa. Had significant side effects with all three, and if it wasn't for the fact that I struggle with mania (without psychosis or hallucinations), neither my psychiatrist nor I would have ever tried these as an aggressive treatment option; but, only after exhausting other less risky treatment options did we venture down this path. Currently, I take Zyprexa prn (as needed), and it's the only thing that has ever had any efficacy (most times) for my manic episodes.

Without a formal mental illness diagnosis suitable for treatment with antipsychotics, based on psychiatric studies, I would never agree to take those meds for what you described.
Thanks for that foresnic explenation, I am not taking any. They are in the drawer. At least they were cheap. Lol I refuse to take that. Saying that I have upped my benzos and zolpidem at night, it's the only thing that makes me sleep. But at least I wake up ok then I'd I took those Antipsychotics .

A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
Try to talk to your doctor. Explain what you want and why you want it and why you think it'll help you.

If he disagrees politely ask why. Then if it's something you can respectfully challenge him on then do so.

If not then try to find a different doctor. If your needing meds and the doc isn't helping that's not good

Reactions: Seul
Seul

Seul

Dec 3, 2020

Thank you for your insight! It does sound like complete overkill and probably not worth any side effects. He did say the main reason he was considering them was because of the random lockdowns and unpredictability of the pandemic. All the professionals I've talked to avoid diagnosing me with anything because I'm still technically a teenager so I'm thinking I should avoid scary meds as well unless there's a clear reason for it. I'm glad the antipsychotic's helping you! Does it affect your suicidal thoughts at all?
Try to talk to your doctor. Explain what you want and why you want it and why you think it'll help you.

If he disagrees politely ask why. Then if it's something you can respectfully challenge him on then do so.

If not then try to find a different doctor. If your needing meds and the doc isn't helping that's not good
Thank you for your advice! I will try to be super clear about what I want to change when I next talk to him and be better at asking questions instead of just staying quiet. I definitely don't trust this guy or myself to prescribe meds though so I'll ask another professional lmao

Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
Thanks for that foresnic explenation, I am not taking any. They are in the drawer. At least they were cheap. Lol I refuse to take that. Saying that I have upped my benzos and zolpidem at night, it's the only thing that makes me sleep. But at least I wake up ok then I'd I took those Antipsychotics .
Thank you for your insight! It does sound like complete overkill and probably not worth any side effects. He did say the main reason he was considering them was because of the random lockdowns and unpredictability of the pandemic. All the professionals I've talked to avoid diagnosing me with anything because I'm still technically a teenager so I'm thinking I should avoid scary meds as well unless there's a clear reason for it. I'm glad the antipsychotic's helping you! Does it affect your suicidal thoughts at all?

Thank you for your advice! I will try to be super clear about what I want to change when I next talk to him and be better at asking questions instead of just staying quiet. I definitely don't trust this guy or myself to prescribe meds though so I'll ask another professional lmao

None of the antipsychotics helped me with suicidal thoughts; however, I didn't take any of them for longer than one month straight, on a daily bases, due to side effects. Thus, I don't really have the personal track record to share my first hand opinion. As mentioned, I take the Zyprexa as needed when my manic episodes come into play, and have taken this marginal approach over the past four years.

As a teenager, I highly encourage you to try and find a different solution, if possible, than something heavy duty like an antipsychotic.

Also, as a teenager don't be bamboozled into blindly trusting anyone in the medical field. Doctors aren't God's; they know very little about the finer workings of the human mind and body; they make mistakes all the time; much in medicine, especially psychiatry is neither balck nor white, so doctors' opinions differ; and, their judgment is to be respectfully questioned.

Do your own research, cross-check what you're hearing from your doctor on this forum, etc. There are plenty of middle-aged people on this forum, like myself, who have been around the block and can help give you good suggestions.

But, bottom line, better to be dealing with life on an antipsychotic than to be swinging dead from the end of a rope, IMO. Only you know how close you are to that possible outcome. If you have time, and your not at the end of your rope (no pun intended), it's best to try something less aggressive with lower risks, such as an SSRI, or another category of antidepressant.

Additionally, there are over the counter supplements that have effectiveness to reduce suicidal issues for many people. I've researched and trial and errored a lot of outside the box approaches for myself with mixed results.

Many of these psych meds take time to work (Zyprexa is one of the exceptions), and oftentimes one needs to go through an extensive and time consuming trial and error to find something that works. Oftentimes this ends up with psych patients on a "cocktail" of various medications.

If you were older, I would suggest you consider looking into lithium after trying an SSRI. Lithium has significant efficacy for suicidal thoughts and suicide prevention in many people, and it has a way longer history than antipsychotics, and thus, the long term side effects are better understood than with these atypical antipsychotics, in particular. Frankly, I'm unaware if antipsychotics have as favorable results for suicide issues as lithium, but I bet not, especially when astutely questioning the cherry picked studies from big pharma. Antipsychotics are a money maker.

FYI, if my body could tolerate it, I would likely be on lithium. Not so much to decrease suicidal thoughts, per se, but to better manage/reduce my manic episodes.

Four years ago, after extensive research, I convinced my psychiatrist to put me on lithium, but it was adversely impacting my kidney function (a fairly common side effect, more so for those who are older no doubt) and I had to come off of it.

Many doctors are hesitant to utilize lithium today, because extensive blood monitoring through lab work is required not to mention the perks they receive from big pharma in prescribing other medications. There is no money in lithium. It's a cheap, naturally occurring mineral without patent protection.

If you were my kid, I would absolutely advise you to try some medication with an SSRI as the first choice. However, if you told me that you were an inch away from jumping off a bridge, then I would 100% get you on either lithium or an antipsychotic.

The thing to remember is once you get yourself balanced you can always come off the meds latter, but the shorter the duration the better, obviously.

My sister was suicidal and she went on an antidepressant for several years. She went off it eventually and is now free of psych meds and all suicidal thoughts.

If you think I can be of any help, feel free to tag me or message me.

Last edited:
Seul

Seul

Dec 3, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to make such a detailed reply! I definitely need to be more active if I'm gonna try recover so I'll google those meds before I talk to the next therapy people.
The thing to remember is once you get yourself balanced you can always come off the meds latter, but the shorter the duration the better, obviously.
Might use this exact wording when I talk to them! I never know how to talk about meds without making it sound like I'm completely giving up on therapy.

Thank you again, and I'm glad your sister is doing better

Reactions: Chupacabra 44
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I agree with @Chupacabra 44 And here are my other thoughts - for what they are worth:

My dad's friend was on Lithium for years - and it gave him happy years and normal life.

Re 'not giving up on therapy' - therapy is best when combined with a working medication. I have personally had extensive therapy - I am 43 years old now - and it does nothing for my suicidal thoughts and depression at all. I personally would say treating the chemical imbalance is essential. As you are 18, medication in general is more risky for you - including SSRIs, but as you have attempted already, I would say it is pretty essential to try it. But you could try OTC stuff first:

• Lithium Orotate - has some very good reviews. It worked amazingly for me for two weeks - then stopped. but that happens with anything that works for me! You can order htis on Amazon, the reviews on Amazon show it has helped many people.
  • St John's Wort - for me has worked better than anything prescribed by doctors. Available in health food stores and Boots...(it has not been tested in teenagers, and is therefore not recommended for them - so maybe when you're older.... It also has some dangerous combos with other medicatinos, so you need to check interaction list)
  • erm: microdosing. This is one of the most promising treatments, though can be hard or easy to source depending on who you know or if you can access the darknet. For those it works for, it is life-changing.

Long term the side effects of anti-psychotics are quite difficult. I was prescribed seroquel, but decided not to take it as weight gain, diabetes, chronic insomnia and more can be side effects. But some people do find it really helpful - maybe I am a wuss!

I do recommend looking at reviews of drugs on drugs.com and also groups on Facebook for medication. You will get peoples' real life experience - which doctors/psychiatrists are not so interested in.

Doctors/psychiatrists are a very mixed bag, and they would probably all prescribe you something different. But then sometimes you have to just swallow the pill for a while and see if it helps you. It is like being a guinea pig - the pills help some people and you just have to be brave and test them. I am not sure why this doctor would jump straight to anti-psychotics without trying other meds first. Is that a question you could ask - are there any other medications you could try as first line before anti-psychotics? It might be because you have attempted that he/she wants to get you on something strong?

You could also talk to some helplines/advice lines? Young Minds has a really helpful list if you scroll down. You could also try calling Mind to see if they can advise: https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/feelings-and-symptoms/suicidal-feelings/

This is an extract from a BBC article that references Prozac for under 18s:

The statistics showed 45% of the under-18s were prescribed fluoxetine, which is usually sold under the trade name Prozac.
It is the only drug recommended for under 18s "as this is the only antidepressant for which clinical trial evidence shows the benefits outweigh the risks".
Even then it should not be prescribed until psychological therapy has been tried for three months and not worked.

And here are some NHS guidelines that also mention Prozac as the first one to try:

Here's an article on children as young as 6 being prescribed anti-depressants: https://www.theguardian.com/society...18s-on-antidepressants-in-england-rises-by-12

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Chupacabra 44
Seul

Seul

Dec 3, 2020
Thank you!! I'm really grateful that you included so many resources. I'll look into lithium orotate first.

Long term the side effects of anti-psychotics are quite difficult. I was prescribed seroquel, but decided not to take it as weight gain, diabetes, chronic insomnia and more can be side effects. But some people do find it really helpful - maybe I am a wuss!
You're definitely not a wuss! Those are horrible sounding side effects. Life would be so much harder with those, I think if I had them all it would negate the positive effects of the drug
Re 'not giving up on therapy' - therapy is best when combined with a working medication. I have personally had extensive therapy - I am 43 years old now - and it does nothing for my suicidal thoughts and depression at all. I personally would say treating the chemical imbalance is essential. As you are 18, medication in general is more risky for you - including SSRIs, but as you have attempted already, I would say it is pretty essential to try it.
I'm going to be open minded and optimistic blah blah but I think it'll be similar for me tbh. Also just realised they probably won't give me anything at all even after I tell them I've been attempting recently since I haven't had a full course of therapy for a few years. I don't think talking to crisis teams counts. I'll still bring it up though anyway, worth a try.
I am not sure why this doctor would jump straight to anti-psychotics without trying other meds first. Is that a question you could ask - are there any other medications you could try as first line before anti-psychotics? It might be because you have attempted that he/she wants to get you on something strong?
He said it wouldn't be an antidepressant (I'm guessing that includes SSRIs) because I'm not depressed and that he was only considering medication because of the pandemic. I'll ask whoever I next talk to about less strong meds

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Hi @Seul , do you agree you are not depressed? Do you the diagnosis you have been given? Hope you don't mind me asking, if you do, please ignore the question

Seul

Seul

Dec 3, 2020
Hi @Seul , do you agree you are not depressed? Do you the diagnosis you have been given? Hope you don't mind me asking, if you do, please ignore the question
It's no problem, oversharing to strangers is my main hobby nowadays :haha:
He hasn't actually diagnosed me with anything! A councillor told me I wasn't depressed about 3 years ago so I've just been going with that ever since. I'm not sad all the time, it's more like mood swings that freak me out a bit. Honestly I don't know anything about psychiatry but my hunch is I don't have a mental illness because I function well enough and all the doctors/nurses I've had to talk to seem to think I'm just struggling with being a teenager.

M

MyStateKilledMe

Arcanist
Apr 23, 2020
(Disclaimer: My post is US-centric. It may or may not be true for countries with socialized medicine.)

A psychotherapist is a dead-last (sorry) person you want ask for medications. Most, if not all, shrinks are complete morons. They're strongly against medications, and think you can talk away anything and everything simply by discussing your feelings. If you ask or even beg, they'll brush you off. Regular doctors and psychiatrists (both MD) are better, although if you're young, they'll be hesitant too.

Your best bet is your primary physician if you have HMO insurance, and a general practitioner if you have PPO insurance. Some primaries don't even have MD's, but rather PA's or NP's. They don't scrutinize patients as much, and will generally prescribe pills to anyone who presents a convincing case.

Seul

Seul

Dec 3, 2020
(Disclaimer: My post is US-centric. It may or may not be true for countries with socialized medicine.)

A psychotherapist is a dead-last (sorry) person you want ask for medications. Most, if not all, shrinks are complete morons. They're strongly against medications, and think you can talk away anything and everything simply by discussing your feelings. If you ask or even beg, they'll brush you off. Regular doctors and psychiatrists (both MD) are better, although if you're young, they'll be hesitant too.

Your best bet is your primary physician if you have HMO insurance, and a general practitioner if you have PPO insurance. Some primaries don't even have MD's, but rather PA's or NP's. They don't scrutinize patients as much, and will generally prescribe pills to anyone who presents a convincing case.
I'm from the UK so understand literally nothing about insurance lol but everything else is actually very useful. I'll talk to my case manager about it before I go to the private people to make sure meds aren't completely off the table with them. Will think about my gp as well. Thank you!

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I'm from the UK so understand literally nothing about insurance lol but everything else is actually very useful. I'll talk to my case manager about it before I go to the private people to make sure meds aren't completely off the table with them. Will think about my gp as well. Thank you!
Here's a few other suggestions and questions - no need to answer them - but in case they help:

High quality CBD (this does nothing for me, but I am a long-term stoner myself so I use the harder stuff: THC...)....There are are user groups on Facebook and reviews online that say it is really helpful. ' E.g. 'a 2019 animal study found that CBD has a fast and sustained antidepressant-like effect. CBD may also result in fewer side effects than antidepressant medication. Insomnia, sexual dysfunction, mood swings, and agitation are common side effects of antidepressants. CBD has not shown similar issues.' CBD from Holland and Barrett is not good quality - you need good quality and they do charge for it. You also titrate it up drop by drop, so you would need to look at how to take it properly. Here is some research on CBD for mood swings: https://www.projectcbd.org/reports/cultivating-wellness/mood-disorders Here is one more article: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/best-cbd-anxiety-2020-973595/
I would look at the Facebook groups for CBD, particularly UK ones and see if anyone has advice. You need to give it a good try and consistently: don't be like me and try it for two days then give up.

How long do the mood swings last for when they happen? Are they regular and do they last for a certain amount of days? Are you male or female (are the mood swings related to female hormones or are they just happening?) In any case, could it be hormonal? Re hormones, there is one man on this forum who says testosterone helped him. For women, hormonal mood swings can be terrible. I know a woman whose terrible mood swings were found to be hormonal - she speaks out because so many women do not get diagnosed with this issue. Have they tested your thyroid? It is a long shot, but some mood swings are related to thyroid imbalance: https://www.british-thyroid-associa...-and-emotions-can-be-affected-by-your-thyroid

If it's a certain number of days per month and relatively regular, I wonder if you could get something just for those days in the month - e.g. some kind of benzo that would hopefully calm you for those days, then when you are better, you could not take them. I don't know if benzos help you or not, and they can be addictive, but I personally have taken them from time to time with no issue. You probably know whether or not you have an addictive personality and whether you could handle potentially addictive substances with care.

While the doctors might prefer to put you on an anti-psychotic, if you could just cover your worst days would you then need medication every day? There is also Kratom. It also did nothing for me, and shouldn't be taken all day every day (as it can build tolerance and has some opiate qualities) but if you needed it just maybe for a few days or a week a month, that could help. You can get it from Holland, but post-Brexit I don't know if that will be possible or not.

The other calming things could be magnesium (some research says it's helpful for general calming) and again Lithium Orotate is a gentle microdose of Lithium.

Your GP can prescribe you SSRIS. Though they are less prescribed for teenagers for safety reasons so they may be reluctant.

Re depression, I didn't think I was depressed for years and years - even though I was constantly miserable and had constant suicidal thoughts - as I didn't fit all the criteria for depression. I now see depression as a range - and it looks different in different people and comes in different forms. While you are functioning well - which is amazing - how is your happiness level every day (when your mood is not swinging?).

In any case, it is always worth getting a second opinion, and even a third or fourth down the line. I have seen two psychiatrists so far, no diagnosis.

I would possibly look into microdosing also. Decide whether it is safe for you - you can get supplies on dark net or previously from Holland online, but I don't know if that will be possible post-Brexit or not:

Excuse me being so lengthy - it is a bad habit of mine!!!! Also am putting off doing some work ;)

M

MyStateKilledMe

Arcanist
Apr 23, 2020
Your GP can prescribe you SSRIS. Though they are less prescribed for teenagers for safety reasons so they may be reluctant.

Re depression, I didn't think I was depressed for years and years - even though I was constantly miserable and had constant suicidal thoughts - as I didn't fit all the criteria for depression. I now see depression as a range - and it looks different in different people and comes in different forms. While you are functioning well - which is amazing - how is your happiness level every day (when your mood is not swinging?).
In the US, Prozac (fluoxetine) is allowed for kids as young as 8. But it's pretty weak, compared to the good stuff I take now: Effexor (venlafaxine).

As for me, I had depression since I was 3 or 4, the earliest age I remember. I remember matching all the symptoms: bouts of crying, constant guilty feelings over minor things (like thinking I'm a violent monster who deserves a death penalty, after accidentally stepping on my stuffed dog's paw), lack of get-up-and-go, insomnia (it took he 2 hours to fall asleep most nights), and more.

Given the time period, my family didn't think it was depression; they just belived that I needed extra discipline and/or toughening up. My therapist, who I saw in my teens, either acted dismissive or laughed at me when I told her about those things. I thought about buying prescription drugs on the streets, but was scared of the gangsters who sell them. So instead, I took up drinking.

• Hugs
Reactions: Seul
Seul

Seul

Dec 3, 2020
Excuse me being so lengthy - it is a bad habit of mine!!!! Also am putting off doing some work ;)
No problem, thank you for the info and articles. I procrastinate a lot as well but at least you're helping someone when you do it! Mood swings are random and seem to vary in length. Can be super happy for months or super sad for about an hour to a week. Female but I've already had a blood test and they said the sex hormones were normal. Having medication just for the bad days sounds like a good solution. When I'm not feeling super bad I'm either super happy or sometimes just content but the suicidal thoughts are literally always there.
As for me, I had depression since I was 3 or 4, the earliest age I remember. I remember matching all the symptoms: bouts of crying, constant guilty feelings over minor things (like thinking I'm a violent monster who deserves a death penalty, after accidentally stepping on my stuffed dog's paw)
I have an oddly similar experience: I decided my toys hated me so I let them have the bed and I cried myself to sleep on the floor. Hope things are better for you now and thanks for the info

• Hugs
Reactions: MyStateKilledMe