• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Fennec123

Fennec123

Nov 26, 2022
Hi all, my first post here.

I've been suicidal for the past year or so.... and around that time I bought the kit i needed to CTB with Nitrogen and an Exit bag.

I somehow managed to work through my extreme mental pain and ended up "getting distracted with life"... but here i am, another year later.... and some terrible stuff has happened which has just pushed me toward using the kit i should have used a year ago.

I've done a LOT of reading as you can probably imagine, but i have a few questions that I need to get straight in my head, so any help with these would be massively appreciated. I thought I'd put this all in one single post so I don't spam the board, but it means this post will be a big long. Sorry!

First question: I'm getting confused trying to calculate how many minutes of Nitrogen at 15 LPM I have. I've seen various calculations and stuff like this but it just confuses me even more!

the specs of the tank i bought are:
  • Research nitrogen 6.0
  • 5 litres
  • Impurities [ppm] – purity =99.9999%
  • Typical filling pressure 15°C: 200 bar
  • capacity 1.013 bar, 15°C, [kg/m³]: 1.185

Second question: As well as a Nitrogen regulator, I also bought this flow meter (which is for Argon, but im assuming it'll work the same for Nitrogen!?) and I just wanted to get the mechanics of the vavles and flow clear in my head ready for the day. I'm thinking it should go like this:

A day or so before:
  1. Ensure regulator valve is closed (which means the handle should be loose right? not tight.... this confused me at first because i assumed "tight = firmly closed, like a tap".
  2. Screw the regulator to the tank (firm but not crazy tight)
  3. Screw flow meter to regulator (again tight, but not overtight)
  4. Open the tank valve and check the input pressure (I'm not sure what this should be?)
  5. Adjust the output valve so it's outputting 2.5bar (that's what my flow meter says it operates at)
  6. Open the Flow meter until it's showing 15 LPM
I'll do this fairly quickly so i don't waste much gas.

If that's done correctly, in theory, all I need to do on the final day, is just open the tank valve enough so that enough gas is coming our right? (i dont need to worry about opening it ALL the way, but I should open it enough so that the correct bar pressure and flow rate is showing right?) and I won't need to touch the other valves again.

Third question: I bought welding hose, which I think is a big heavier and stiffer than the plastic tubing i've seen in other examples. Do you think this might cause any issues with weighing the bag down once it's on? I was maybe thinking of using duct tape instead of Micropore because of this.... (also why is Micropore recommended instead of other tapes? I thought Micropore wasn't very sticky?)

Fourth question: When I first got the tank, i opened the valve for about 0.5 seconds to clear any debris from the valve... do you think that would have emptied a significant amount of gas? I've never dealt with compressed gas before so I have no idea if it was an insignificant amount or a huge amount! It sounded very loud and scared me a little!

Fifth question: I've seen conflicting info on the shelf life of Nitrogen.. some say 1-3 years... some say almost indefinitely! I've had my tank for about just over a year now... i'm assuming that's nothing to worry about? (i'm confident the valve was securely closed). But how can you check how much is actually left? Is that just done by looking at the pressure on the regulator?

I think that's my main questions. I'm assuming the gas is as pure as they said it was. I don't really have any reason to doubt them. I think I'm okay when it comes to the exit bag and how i should position myself etc....

Many thanks in advance, and I hope i didn't break any rules including those links?

A simplified diagram of my setup
Setup

Last edited:
GasMonkey

GasMonkey

Nitrogen Master Race
May 15, 2022
how many minutes of Nitrogen at 15 LPM I have
1185 Liters / 15 LPM = 79 minutes

I also bought this flow meter (which is for Argon, but im assuming it'll work the same for Nitrogen!?)
https://nitrogenexit.blogspot.com/2020/08/setting-nitrogen-flow-on-argon-flow.html?view=flipcard

Open the tank valve and check the input pressure (I'm not sure what this should be?)
200 bar when fully filled.

open the tank valve enough so that enough gas is coming our right?
Cylinder valves must be fully open or fully closed to avoid degradation.

I bought welding hose, which I think is a big heavier and stiffer than the plastic tubing i've seen in other examples
The optimal tubing for a manually crafted ExitBag is the O₂ tubing since it was the one used in the EXIT tests to determine the optimal flow rate for CO₂ purging and has proven to work for years, used in almost all documented ExitBag CTB cases.

When I first got the tank, i opened the valve for about 0.5 seconds to clear any debris from the valve... do you think that would have emptied a significant amount of gas?
You can know exactly how much gas do you have with the pressure gauge.

I've seen conflicting info on the shelf life of Nitrogen.. some say 1-3 years... some say almost indefinitely!
The gas has infinite shelf life, the cylinders are normally checked after 10 years (manufacturer recommendation).

I'm assuming the gas is as pure as they said it was.
You can check the purity with an O₂ analyzer.

Fennec123

Fennec123

Nov 26, 2022
1185 Liters / 15 LPM = 79 minutes

https://nitrogenexit.blogspot.com/2020/08/setting-nitrogen-flow-on-argon-flow.html?view=flipcard

200 bar when fully filled.

Cylinder valves must be fully open or fully closed to avoid degradation.

The optimal tubing for a manually crafted ExitBag is the O₂ tubing since it was the one used in the EXIT tests to determine the optimal flow rate for CO₂ purging and has proven to work for years, used in almost all documented ExitBag CTB cases.

You can know exactly how much gas do you have with the pressure gauge.

The gas has infinite shelf life, the cylinders are normally checked after 10 years (manufacturer recommendation).

You can check the purity with an O₂ analyzer.

Thanks for the swift reply

I didn't know about the conversion rates with the flow meter.... so i guess if it should be 12.46 LPM i might as well stick to 15 LPM for simplicities sake.

Do you think I'll still be okay if i use the nitrogen tubing I bought with the tank? I'm not sure how easily i can get ahold of the plastic tubing

Fennec123

Fennec123

Nov 26, 2022
Okay ill look to get some of the tubing. What's the usual name for the tubing? will it fit the Ø 5.0 mm nozzle on my flow meter?

Thanks again for your patience

Reactions: Endex
Fennec123

Fennec123

Nov 26, 2022
Is this the right kind of tubing?

Actually screw it, i'll go to my local hardware store with my flow meter. Much simpler 👍

Last edited:
Fennec123

Fennec123

Nov 26, 2022
Looks like the one that @Deafsn0w used, although it doesn't say if that diameter is internal or external (I guess is external coz it says 1cm).
I think this one in the 5mm option should be good enough? (local hardware store so no need to faff around with waiting for delivery etc)

GasMonkey

GasMonkey

Nitrogen Master Race
May 15, 2022
The PVC one recommended in the PPeH is a little bigger

Fennec123

Fennec123

Nov 26, 2022
Should I stick to using Micropore tape? That feels like it's not going to be as "sticky" as normal tape

GasMonkey

GasMonkey

Nitrogen Master Race
May 15, 2022
PPeH recommends 2.5 cm x 5 M Leukoflex adhesive surgical tape.
I used it when I crafted this pattern 3 years ago and it sticks really well.

Fennec123

Fennec123

Nov 26, 2022
PPeH recommends 2.5 cm x 5 M Leukoflex adhesive surgical tape.
I used it when I crafted this pattern 3 years ago and it sticks really well.
I like the idea of not using a crinkly bag (that's something i dont like about the oven bags), but that document seems pretty technically daunting :O

It's making me doubt my choice of exit bag kit now!

GasMonkey

GasMonkey

Nitrogen Master Race
May 15, 2022
Yeah the bag I used wasn't crinkly at all, really sturdy and robust (100 microns thickness). The pattern proposed by the PPeH is probably the best ExitBag pattern ever made.

BTW the bag is no longer my setup. Nowadays there are better solutions for Nitrogen than the traditional ExitBag, like SCBA, Positive Pressure SCUBA, EEBD hood, full face snorkeling mask.

My setup is SCBA, which is basically the best CTB method available.

Last edited:
Reactions: MelodyCymbal
Fennec123

Fennec123

Nov 26, 2022
I'll have a look for less crinkly bags. Although I don't think there's anything suitable in supermarkets, beyond the oven roasting bags... maybe ill find some in the hardware store

Obliviate

Obliviate

Abandon All Hope
Aug 13, 2022
I deciphered how to make an exit bag in a very simple was as the PPEH and others overcomplicate it and do not go into important detail. Check out my post on it
Whether you should use a O2 tube or a PVC tube is still unknown because the O2 tube is much smaller than the recommended PVC tube. If 6mm is recommended then why use an O2 tube? But I think either one should get the job done. So the 5mm you are speaking of is bigger than O2 tube and smaller than recommend PVC so it should be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fennec123
Fennec123

Fennec123

Nov 26, 2022
Bought the 5mm tubing and some hose clips today. Now i just need the tape

Reactions: Obliviate
leeloosnow

leeloosnow

Warlock
Aug 28, 2022
i got plastic tubing at my local hardware store, they had a rack with selections of sizes.

Fennec123

Fennec123

Nov 26, 2022
Having trouble finding a suitable "non crinkly" bag. Ideally I don't want to have to order it online. 🤔

I guess i don't really need it, i already have an oven roasting bag... but eh...

Last edited:
Fennec123

Fennec123

Nov 26, 2022
Can i use normal Sellotape instead of Micropore? Is there any down side?!

GasMonkey

GasMonkey

Nitrogen Master Race
May 15, 2022
I don't think Sellotape has enough quality for a good craft.

Fennec123

Fennec123

Nov 26, 2022
I bought some 3M micropore tape and it was as useless as I was expecting it to be. It's not sticky enough. I have no idea why it's recommended 🤔

Going to buy some standard Scotch tape and use that I think.

thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls

Student
Feb 10, 2024
I bought some 3M micropore tape and it was as useless as I was expecting it to be. It's not sticky enough. I have no idea why it's recommended 🤔

Going to buy some standard Scotch tape and use that I think.
Hello, how did your setup end up?

Fennec123

Fennec123

Nov 26, 2022
Hello, how did your setup end up?
I've been away recently so i haven't really had the time to order anything else... i was planning to get thicker bags that dont crinkle... but i didnt really know what i was looking for online so i gave up.

I'm definitely NOT going to use micropore tape. It's awful. I'm either going to use Scotch tape/Sellotape or maybe duct tape.... or i might even just tie the tubing to my pony tail (which i'll tie up).

Everything else is as it was in my first post.... although ive been thinking about the SCBA setup.... but then I realised i'm just procrastinating... this isn't rocket science... so i'm probably find with the setup i already have!

I may end up CTBing early/mid April depending how things go.

U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
Someone did an awesome thread recently with photos and everything.

If you scroll over the past couple of weeks you will find it.

It outlines exactly how to setup inert gas methods pretty much anywhere in the world. I can't remember who made it, hopefully someone will tag him for you.

thewalkingdread

thewalkingdread

Life is a pointless, undeserved, unnecessary pain.
Oct 30, 2023
My exit bag setup is a:

• 30L garbage bag instead of an oven bag
  • Duct tape instead of micropore
  • And a rope instead of elastics