StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
Looking for more articles like this on survival instinct, seems pretty legit..
Please share if you know anything.

"So how does one overcome the natural instinct for self-preservation? In a word: Practice. In Joiner's theory, suicide victims literally "work up" to the act by getting used to danger, fear and pain. They may do this in a variety of ways over their lifetime."

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: littlelungs, Hurt, Disappointered and 17 others
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
If you desensitize yourself to death, you become okay with it happening to you. The more times you attempt and fail, hopefully the odds of success are greater the next time.

• Love
Reactions: Hurt, Disappointered, Nymph and 5 others
D

Deleted member 24645

Dec 11, 2020
"The desire for death, according to Joiner, is composed of two psychological states: a perception of being a burden to others and a feeling of not belonging." I don't agree with this. In my case, it's feeling intensely sad about a future event (which I won't mention here) and a real fear of the future and future pain. I don't feel I'm a burden and I don't feel I don't belong.

• Love
Reactions: ftm68_99, Lupgevif, MiserableBastard1995 and 5 others
elfgyoza

elfgyoza

Cursed
Aug 5, 2019
I wonder whether this is a reason why the suicide rate for people who self harm is so high? I think seeing my blood has probably desensitised me a little, shows how fragile the human body is I guess

Reactions: littlelungs, mirko, Nymph and 1 other person
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
Where has the post from @cytoarchitectonic gone?
I haven't yet been able to read the now gone links but it seemed to be talking about visualizing your goal.
Maybe in the form of a shadow that you can follow?

This might also be interesting.
As a former extreme sports athlete this kind of article resonates with me:

Last edited:
Reactions: gtrfvr
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I wonder whether this is a reason why the suicide rate for people who self harm is so high? I think seeing my blood has probably desensitised me a little, shows how fragile the human body is I guess
Yeah I agree, I've been self harming and I'm not really scared of death. Also had some NDEs which made me even kinda excited for death

Reactions: littlelungs, Meditation guide and elfgyoza
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
Where has the post from @cytoarchitectonic gone?
I haven't yet been able to read the now gone links but it seemed to be talking about visualizing your goal.
Maybe in the form of a shadow that you can follow?

This might also be interesting.
As a former extreme sports athlete this kind of article resonates with me:
I deleted it . i can try to find it if i have it and either PM it to you or repost it later. yes i do believe in visualizing your goal to acheive it though. i see you're an athlete . I 'm sure you heard of how athletes visualize ?

Last edited:
Reactions: StateOfMind
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
Looking for more articles like this on survival instinct, seems pretty legit..
Please share if you know anything.

"So how does one overcome the natural instinct for self-preservation? In a word: Practice. In Joiner's theory, suicide victims literally "work up" to the act by getting used to danger, fear and pain. They may do this in a variety of ways over their lifetime."

Joiner has done a lot of fantastic research into suicide. Unfortunately I think he still views suicide prevention as a positive thing. It's my opinion that the focus should be on solving problems that make people suicidal rather than preventing people from killing themselves at all costs. I'm all for conversations and not simply encouraging suicide, but stopping someone when they earnestly want to die is immoral, I think.

Reactions: Lupgevif, Disappointered, Jarni and 4 others
C

ceelestial

Dec 4, 2020
Professors Joiners book is a must read ive said many times so go read it!! thomas joiner - why people die from suicide.

Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
Yes definitely. I can cut myself right open these days without batting an eyelid. Don't feel faint or sick. Nothing.

Manford

Manford

Student
Dec 7, 2020
I think the article left out a potential factor - genetics. I would assume that people who have relatives that ctb might have a higher potential to do so.

Reactions: Lupgevif and gtrfvr
gtrfvr

gtrfvr

live and let live or die
Dec 4, 2020
Didn't know that cobain watched that budd dwyer video too. they eventually took it down :(

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
seems pretty legit..
That was a very good article, thank you for posting it. I had always wondered how people found the nerve to ctb and some were completely calm about it as they did it. I'm a nervous wreck just thinking about it.

I think they left out a possibility and that is, that people naturally are able to take risks and do dangerous things due to their temperament. Even practicing for the day you ctb takes bravery.

Reactions: StateOfMind