• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

J

JWL

Arcanist
Jan 15, 2019
I thought I'd planned this ctb well and certainly spent a long time doing so.

However, I've just hit a potential problem that I didn't see.

I'm in the UK and travelling around on my 'Bucket List' tour. I had planned to buy a cylinder from either of the main sellers often listed here (in Liverpool and Newcastle areas).

Problem: Although British with UK passport, I'm legal resident in an EU country, and just spend some months per year with family in UK. But I don't have a UK address as such. I've now read that one of the suppliers (Liverpool) has T&C that (a) must be UK resident, and (b) need photo ID, e.g. passport. The passport is fine, obviously, but I wonder would they probe more re the UK resident part (i.e. ask for proof of address, which I don't have. All my docs have EU address).

The other Newcastle supplier states need 2 GOOD ID proofs, and that could be tricky if again they mean ID showing UK residence.

So, my questions...

A) Assuming our UK ctbers planning on nitrogen will know which suppliers I mean above, can anyone shed light on how strict they are and any other advice to help me get the cylinder without actually having to show proof of a UK address, just personal ID?

B) If push comes to shove, could I use the 'partner' system to have someone buy the tank on my behalf? This would be pretty much for me to collect almost anywhere in NW, Yorkshire, NE of England between now and, say, July or August, since ctb planned late Aug-early Sept. Would anyone able to help out with this scenario PM me (or, mods, should I post in 'partners' section?).

I can't believe I've stepped into my ctb countdown to now be faced with such a hugely worrying and stressful potential block, so I hope someone can help me with this one way or another.

P.S. Or does anyone know of a smaller type supplier that might not be so fussy as the big ones? Anywhere in north of England and also NW Scotland.

Last edited:
F

fister

Apr 11, 2019
I thought I'd planned this ctb well and certainly spent a long time doing so.

However, I've just hit a potential problem that I didn't see.

I'm in the UK and travelling around on my 'Bucket List' tour. I had planned to buy a cylinder from either of the main sellers often listed here (in Liverpool and Newcastle areas).

Problem: Although British with UK passport, I'm legal resident in an EU country, and just spend some months per year with family in UK. But I don't have a UK address as such. I've now read that one of the suppliers (Liverpool) has T&C that (a) must be UK resident, and (b) need photo ID, e.g. passport. The passport is fine, obviously, but I wonder would they probe more re the UK resident part (i.e. ask for proof of address, which I don't have. All my docs have EU address).

The other Newcastle supplier states need 2 GOOD ID proofs, and that could be tricky if again they mean ID showing UK residence.

So, my questions...

A) Assuming our UK ctbers planning on nitrogen will know which suppliers I mean above, can anyone shed light on how strict they are and any other advice to help me get the cylinder without actually having to show proof of a UK address, just personal ID?

B) If push comes to shove, could I use the 'partner' system to have someone buy the tank on my behalf? This would be pretty much for me to collect almost anywhere in NW, Yorkshire, NE of England between now and, say, July or August, since ctb planned late Aug-early Sept. Would anyone able to help out with this scenario PM me (or, mods, should I post in 'partners' section?).

I can't believe I've stepped into my ctb countdown to now be faced with such a hugely worrying and stressful potential block, so I hope someone can help me with this one way or another.

P.S. Or does anyone know of a smaller type supplier that might not be so fussy as the big ones? Anywhere in north of England and also NW Scotland.
Try asking at welding shops?

J

JWL

Arcanist
Jan 15, 2019
Try asking at welding shops?

Thanks, but I wouldn't know where to find a welding shop and as I'm just passing through a few towns here and there I don't have the time to scour the area.

Also, I'd need food grade nitrogen and couldn't be sure of the purity of an industrial shop as opposed to the main suppliers mentioned on SS who list the specs clearly.

F

fister

Apr 11, 2019
Thanks, but I wouldn't know where to find a welding shop

Also, I'd need food grade nitrogen
Hello mate.

To find a neighborhood welding shop i'd look in one of the directory services that replaced phone books. What are they in the uk.. 163, 193, something like that?

Nitrogen is supposed to be pure. If it's contaminated it will ruin a lot of industrial processes like leak checking HVAC or welding shield.

J

JWL

Arcanist
Jan 15, 2019
Hello mate.

To find a neighborhood welding shop i'd look in one of the directory services that replaced phone books. What are they in the uk.. 163, 193, something like that?

Nitrogen is supposed to be pure. If it's contaminated it will ruin a lot of industrial processes like leak checking HVAC or welding shield.

Thanks for your info, but I think I'm getting too far into unchartered waters. I've had my plan fixed on one of two suppliers with guaranteed content for ctb and still hope this will work out. But if I start getting into welding shop type places I'm far outside my comfort zone and I'm already into countdown with the plan I had/have. Plus, one welding shop I've just tried has this in the description:

'Nitrogen gas is extensively used throughout industry. Its main uses include purging, blanketing, laser cutting and even motorsports for filling tyres. Ryval Gas Nitrogen is industrial grade and oxygen free. Please note that industrial nitrogen is not suitable for food applications.'

My understanding has been that food grade is the grade to use for ctb. Is that not correct?

EDIT: Okay, just spent some hours looking into this again and see that I am mixing up different concepts. Industrial = fine, bar the 'for home brewing' cover, but that's nothing that can't be got around.

I think I may have found a supplier that isn't renting just selling, so the ID thing shouldn't be a problem. I'll feedback when and if I get a result.

Last edited:
F

fister

Apr 11, 2019
Thanks for your info, but I think I'm getting too far into unchartered waters. I've had my plan fixed on one of two suppliers with guaranteed content for ctb and still hope this will work out. But if I start getting into welding shop type places I'm far outside my comfort zone and I'm already into countdown with the plan I had/have. Plus, one welding shop I've just tried has this in the description:

'Nitrogen gas is extensively used throughout industry. Its main uses include purging, blanketing, laser cutting and even motorsports for filling tyres. Ryval Gas Nitrogen is industrial grade and oxygen free. Please note that industrial nitrogen is not suitable for food applications.'

My understanding has been that food grade is the grade to use for ctb. Is that not correct?

EDIT: Okay, just spent some hours looking into this again and see that I am mixing up different concepts. Industrial = fine, bar the 'for home brewing' cover, but that's nothing that can't be got around.

I think I may have found a supplier that isn't renting just selling, so the ID thing shouldn't be a problem. I'll feedback when and if I get a result.
Don't forget you will need a regulator. You want a flow rate regulator not pressure. The right one will have units like liters/minute on the dial. Depending on the regulator you may need an adapter, tell them you want something with a barb that you can slip a tube on.

The food grade thing is mostly to satisfy public health bureaucracies that regulate food factories and restaurants.

J

JWL

Arcanist
Jan 15, 2019
Don't forget you will need a regulator. You want a flow rate regulator not pressure. The right one will have units like liters/minute on the dial. Depending on the regulator you may need an adapter, tell them you want something with a barb that you can slip a tube on.

The food grade thing is mostly to satisfy public health bureaucracies that regulate food factories and restaurants.

I have the Max Dog regulator.

BTW, the supplier I found today is happy to work around my ID/residence issue, AND is an industrial supplier for welding gear. So I had to adjust my cover from home brew to welding.

One final point..my Max Dog regulator is for UK standard. Can I be absolutely confident it will fit this supplier's 9 Ltr cylinder?

F

fister

Apr 11, 2019
I have the Max Dog regulator.

BTW, the supplier I found today is happy to work around my ID/residence issue, AND is an industrial supplier for welding gear. So I had to adjust my cover from home brew to welding.

One final point..my Max Dog regulator is for UK standard. Can I be absolutely confident it will fit this supplier's 9 Ltr cylinder?
Just bring it with. If an adapter is necessary he will be able to fit you one.