faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
Hello everybody!
I think some of you have heard about this story, but for those who did not it may be interesting.
It is up to you to think whether it was a suicide or not, however for 5 months of investigation he has not been identified.
This story was taken from Reddit, however it can be found in many Irish newspapers of that year or Wikipedia.
Please, enjoy reading!
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Basics

In June 12-16th, 2009, an unidentified man visited a town of Sligo in northwest Ireland. The unidentified man used an alias 'Peter Bergmann'. He used this alias to check into the Sligo City hotel and he stayed in the hotel for the majority of his visit. He was described by the hotel staff as having a heavy Germanic accent. CCTV captured man's movements throughout the town but the intentions, details and context of his actions remain unknown. His interactions with other people were limited and little is known of his origins or the reason why he visited Sligo. His naked body was found at the beach on the morning of June 16th. Despite the five-month investigation into the death of 'Peter Bergmann', the police were never able to identify the man or develop any leads regarding the case.

Purple Plastic Bag

There are some weird things regarding this case. One of those is the purple plastic bag. He was seen leaving the hotel every morning with a purple plastic bag full of items or personal efefcts. It was never discovered what these items were. However, when he returned from his long walks, he no longer carried the bag. It is often theorized that he was disposing his belongings throughout the town of Sligo, and then folding the bag and putting it in his pocket. Authorities were unable to identify what he was throwing away in the public rubbish bins since the man used the blind spots of the surveillance cameras to his advantage. His movements were very meticulous and methodical as if he knew where to hide his personal belongings that could have identified him.

Here's a more deeper look into the timeline of the events

1. Friday June 12th, 2009: The unknown man is first spotted at the Ulster Bus Depot in Derry - between the time of 14:30 (2:30 PM) and 16:00 (4:00 PM). He boarded a bus headed to Sligo Station, carrying a black shoulder bad and a standard carry-on luggage bag. He arrived at 18:28 (6:28 PM) at the Sligo Bus Station and took a taxi to the Sligo City Hotel, where he paid 65 euros per night in cash. While he was checking in, he gave the false name of 'Peter Bergmann', and listed his address as Ainstettersn 15, 4472, Vienna, Austria. Police investigated the address and found out that it belonged to a vacant lot. This implies that the man wanted to remain unknown and he pre-emptively planned his moves so he couldn't be identified.
  2. Saturday June 13th, 2009: The man is seen walking to the General Post Office at 10:49 (10:49 AM) and purchases eight 82-cent stamps and airmail stickers. Presumably he was writing final letters to loved ones or sending his personal effects away, so they wouldn't be discovered.
  3. Sunday 14th June, 2009: Between 11:00 (11:00 AM) and 11:30 (11:30 AM) the man left the Sligo City Hotel and asked a taxi driver recommendations for a nice quiet beach where he could swim. The taxi driver stated that Rosses Point would be the best place and proceeded to drive the unknown man to the beach. The man returned with the same taxi and was dropped off at the bus station in Sligo.
  4. Monday 15th June, 2009: The man checked out of the hotel at 13:06 (1:06 PM) and handed in his room key. He left with a black shoulder bag, a purple plastic bag, and a different black luggage bag. He did not have the same black carry-on luggage bag he had when he first arrived in Sligo. He walked to the bus station via Quay Street, Wine Street and stopped at Quayside Shopping Centre and awkwardly waited in the doorway for a number of minutes. At 13:16 (1:16 PM) he left the Quayside Shopping Centre and walked along Wine Street in the direction of the bus station, still carrying all three bags. At 13:38 (1:38 PM) he ordered a cappuccino and a ham and cheese toasted sandwich at the bus station. While eating his food, he looked at pieces of paper that he kept in his pocket. After reading the pieces of paper, he tore the paper in half and threw it away in a nearby rubbish bin. He then mounted a bus that departed at 14:20 (2:20 PM) for Rosses Point. It was reported that he was seen by 16 people while walking on the beach, casually greeting the passersby.
  5. Tuesday 16th June, 2009: Arthur Kinsella and his son Brian, who was training for a triathlon, found his naked body lying on the beach at 6:45 (6:45 AM) in the morning. At 8:10 (8:10 am), Dr Valerie McGowan officially pronounced the man dead. Following the discovery of the man's dead body, a five-month investigation was conducted by Gardaí.
Autopsy and body investigation

According to the post mortem report, the body of the man was found naked on Rosses Point beach with his clothes scattered along the shore, with no wallet, money or form of identification. The Sligo medical examiner deemed the cause of death to be drowning and found no signs of foul play that would give reason to believe the man's death was a homicide. The man's teeth were in good condition and showed signs of frequent dental work in his life. He had bridging, root canals, crowns and had a full gold tooth on the upper back right side of his mouth and a small silver filling along the gum of a tooth on the left side of the lower jaw. Despite his well-groomed and dressed exterior, the man was in very poor health. The post mortem showed that he had advanced stages of prostate cancer and bone tumours. His heart showed signs of previous heart attacks and he possessed only one kidney, the other being removed. For a man who had serious health conditions, the toxicology report stated that he had no medication of any sort in his system. The medical examiner stated that, due to his heart attacks and health status, the man would have been in significant pain and required prescription pain medicine or at least over-the-counter pain relievers to manage his pain.

CCTV footage

1. CCTV footage outside the hotel with the purple plastic bag: http://bh-s2.azureedge.net/bh-uploads/2017/04/peter-bergmann-disappears-1200x735.jpg
  2. Inside the hotel: https://alpha.aeon.co/images/8b5c684d-ff84-4d30-a97a-5583af52fb6f/header_LAST_DAYS_OF_PETER.jpg
  3. https://www.oceanfm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Peter-bergmann-in-sligo.jpg
  4. http://thinkingsidewayspodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/peter_begmann.jpg
  5. https://keyassets-p2.timeincuk.net/wp/prod/wp-content/uploads/sites/29/2016/05/Cafe.png
  6. https://infomystic.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/bergmann-sligo-hotel_445.jpg
  7. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t3V7GCsr5...600/Bildschirmfoto+2015-02-22+um+12.02.55.png
Final

After a five-month investigation the body was buried in Sligo. The funeral was attended by four Gardaí. Unlike many other unidentified people cases, Peter Bergmann's case hasn't received as much attention as many others. It did however gain some attention from the 2013 documentary, 'The Last Days of Peter Bergmann'. In 2015, the French newspaper Le Monde reported that they had contacted the Austrian police about the case and that the Austrian police commented that the Irish police had never contacted them. Le Monde also reported that there is no Interpol notice for the unidentified man, stating that as the body is recovered he does not fall into the two Interpol categories of 'missing person' or a 'wanted person'. It is up to his country of origin to report him as missing.

Reactions: Notwinnernotawin, throwaway_2620, Lastsauce and 6 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I believe you mentioned in another thread your interest in ctb from a boat, or perhaps you were contributing to another's contemplation of how to ctb without being seen. But if that was your interest, I could see how this man's actions are a kind of how-to guide for total ctb privacy by going to another country, discarding evidence without being surveilled, and ctb'ing in the water.

It's strange how much detailed information is given in this article. It provides clues for his identification, yet it also instructs. Normally law enforcement does not release such a wealth of information, only enough to ensure identity. And unidentified bodies rarely get such detailed press exposure. Cases like this are usually shared for entertainment purposes, such as true crime television shows. What is so unique about this case that it was the subject of an entire documentary film and has its own Wikipedia page?

Reactions: Ἡγησίας and faust
faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
I believe you mentioned in another thread your interest in ctb from a boat, or perhaps you were contributing to another's contemplation of how to ctb without being seen. But if that was your interest, I could see how this man's actions are a kind of how-to guide for total ctb privacy by going to another country, discarding evidence without being surveilled, and ctb'ing in the water.

It's strange how much detailed information is given in this article. It provides clues for his identification, yet it also instructs. Normally law enforcement does not release such a wealth of information, only enough to ensure identity. And unidentified bodies rarely get such detailed press exposure. Cases like this are usually shared for entertainment purposes, such as true crime television shows. What is so unique about this case that it was the subject of an entire documentary film and has its own Wikipedia page?
Well, you are absolutely right, I am interested in hiding my body or being unidentified. I don't want my family to pay for funerals/cremation and other services which may be an aftermath of my death. So I am gathering information on this topic. This story is very popular among people who believe in time traveling and there are some videos on YouTube with millions of views mentioning this case as a potential "time traveler case", so I think it was just "popularized" by somebody, that's why it is on YouTube and Wiki. This is not just an unidentified body, but the person who wanted to remain unidentified and was very meticulous. And he is not even missing anywhere. If he was sending letters, then it means there should be people who got his letters. I suspect he told them not to inform any authorities. But how any of the countries did not notice he is missing? Like he was probably getting any payments or receiving letters. And still nothing.

Reactions: Notwinnernotawin and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Maybe he was paying his bills! :pfff:

Reactions: faust
ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
I read the story, but how does anyone check into a hotel or a simple b&b without presenting any kind of indetification? I know of no place that is informal, certainly with first time guests.

Reactions: Ἡγησίας
ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Another thought that comes to mind about being found and not being identified, is that one has the the pleasure of having their rotting corpse face grace the internet—and I'm not talking gore sites—but Wikipedia.

With each passing year, less and less become sacred.

Nohopeinhell

Nohopeinhell

Mar 1, 2020
I read the story, but how does anyone check into a hotel or a simple b&b without presenting any kind of indetification? I know of no place that is informal, certainly with first time guests.

I have never had to show identification to a hotel. I live in the UK so its maybe different but they don't tend to ask here.

I have also been to Ireland and haven't been asked.