• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
In an internet group for disabled and chronically ill people that I follow, there'e person who keeps making motivational posts about attitude and funding joy in the little things, while also painting euthanasia and such out to be bad/wrong choices. Which I am so used to seeing this type of content online that I don't bother engaging with it.

However, I saw another user bring up an interesting point, because the OP had discussed how their relatives talked them out of euthanasia. This person has been taken care of by relatives the entire time they have been ill and not had to work, and even their adult child has provided for them. When this was pointed out as a potential reason for why they might be able to feel more positive compared to others who don't have those family ties, they doubled down and said they simply don't wallow in their illness like others.

But I would say that the amount of support given by their family is likely the reason why this internet stranger has such a positive attitude and tries to spread that view. Familial love gave them a reason to be positive. If they were not being bankrolled by relatives and provided with a safe, stable place to live, would they have the same attitude?

It is infinitely frustrating when these people try to push positivity on others in completely different circumstances, then have some cognitive dissonance about the things they do have to be thankful for in spite of other hardships. In that situation, I'm sure there are multiple factors eliciting a more positive, hopeful lifestyle, because you're literally being cared for and have financial freedom. There are so many sick and disabled people out there who are just forced to work or live in poverty and have 0 support, continually pushing their bodies past the limit in order to survive, and it feels disingenuous to tell others that we are wallowing in our illness when we simply don't have those reasons to be positive.

Though this is a problem I have always had with support groups in general, it's not the truly fucked people who are leading the conversations. I have never been in a group where I truly had lots in common with other people.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
This is so true and I think it actually relates to anyone. Whether they are suffering from chronic illness or not. More pain in life obviously intensifies the need to leave but, life in general isn't exactly easy. If someone simply isn't getting joy or meaning out of life anymore, just the daily grind of it can feel pointless. I mean- it has actually become pointless for them. Who or what are they actually living for if they have no one and have no interest in life?

I'm sure the situation is so much worse when someone is in pain. I do still have one or two people that care about me. Not that they are of huge practical help if I'm honest. For now, I feel like I can keep going for them but if things got a lot worse for me healthwise, I'm not convinced I would be willing to put up with it. I think it's shitty for people to judge others like that. Great- if their lives still give them some pleasure. It isn't the case for everyone.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
"You have to be grateful for the things you have and be positive about the small things" I heard that many times. Yeah I'm grateful that I have to rot at home. I always say I can't lie to myself and pretend that my life is just fine and everything is great when it actually isn't.

SilverTiger

SilverTiger

Life is the night, I seek the warmth of the sun.
Apr 18, 2024
"You have to be grateful for the things you have and be positive about the small things" I heard that many times. Yeah I'm grateful that I have to rot at home. I always say I can't lie to myself and pretend that my life is just fine and everything is great when it actually isn't.
It painful isn't it? You realise most of those bullshit, sunshine and rainbow quotes are coming from people who had eveything or at least smething given to them, most of human history is like that, everyone can name some Plato, but how many know any Arthur Schopenhauer?

People bury their head in the sand, when the varying grotesqueries of life are shown to them. 'No no no.' they say 'This will not do, only happy thoughts!'

For what it is worth, I feel your pain Praestat.

EyesOfNight

EyesOfNight

the night will be eternal
Feb 2, 2024
I think we need to appreciate what this person has achieved a little more.
They managed to choose a good family to be born into. They managed to choose people that can provide them with material and psychological wealth. It's pretty impressive how they avoided being born into a family where both parents are victims and perpetrators of generational trauma. And how they managed to not be the first child that was conceived while both parents where a young age and didn't have they life figured out.
They managed to do all that through the power of positivity, rainbows, and friendship.
It's fucking amazing how little fucking "luck" played any fucking role in how this fucking person got to experience this fucking world while being magically fucking protected from the fucking gruesome fucking horrors of this fucking world.
Maybe I should try this to. Wouldn't it be fucking great.