• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

C

Crinia99

Student
Oct 10, 2023
I really would like to do an aquarium test on my out of date SN, but I'm not good at maths am I'm utterly confused.

All the tests that are available in my country only go to 5ppm ot 8ppm at most, but all instructions I find on here say to do it with a test that goes to 10ppm. The only way I could get my hands on a 10ppm test would be to purchase from a chem lab to test driking water and they are around $150.

So if I purchased an aquarium test that showed 5ppm, is it really going to be helpful in determining if my SN is any good to ctb or should I just rely solely on doing the mineral test ? Please help

Reactions: Circles
Neowise

Neowise

We fly and fly but never reach our destination.
Oct 7, 2020
@strangelife is correct. ppm (parts per million) is the unit just like pound or kilogram or liter and is used to measure very low concentrations. A test for 5 ppm is more sensitive than a test that goes to 10 ppm as it can only detect tiny concentrations but doesn't work for bigger concentrations (in this case it's half because 5 is half of 10). So in your case, you could either dissolve half of your SN for the test, or use the original amount of SN but use twice the amount of water (which also halves the concentration).

• Informative
Reactions: h.s.p.
C

Crinia99

Student
Oct 10, 2023
@strangelife is correct. ppm (parts per million) is the unit just like pound or kilogram or liter and is used to measure very low concentrations. A test for 5 ppm is more sensitive than a test that goes to 10 ppm as it can only detect tiny concentrations but doesn't work for bigger concentrations (in this case it's half because 5 is half of 10). So in your case, you could either dissolve half of your SN for the test, or use the original amount of SN but use twice the amount of water (which also halves the concentration).

Thank you, unfortunately im really bad at maths, I can only seem to get the 5ppm test but really don't understand how to work it out. When you say you could dissolve half your SN, do you mean half the amount of SN used for the Vizzy 10ppm test? Do I still use the same amount of water though? Thanks
I think it's ok, just use the second glass x2 sise
Thank you, do you mind expanding on what you mean please? Sorry I'm bad at calculations and just don't get it.

Reactions: Circles
Neowise

Neowise

We fly and fly but never reach our destination.
Oct 7, 2020
Thank you, unfortunately im really bad at maths, I can only seem to get the 5ppm test but really don't understand how to work it out. When you say you could dissolve half your SN, do you mean half the amount of SN used for the Vizzy 10ppm test? Do I still use the same amount of water though? Thanks
Yes. I don't know how to do the test, but for example: if you dissolve 1 gram of SN in 100 ml of water for the 10ppm test to work, then you could dissolve 0,5 gram in 100 ml (or 1 gram in 200 ml) and use this for the 5ppm test.

• Informative
Reactions: h.s.p. and Crinia99