W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
No one tells you about it, but suddenly, you're an sperm fighting other millions of them in order to reach your mom's uterus and start evolving so as to become a human being and you know what? YOU did it! YOU beat all of them and were able to get there.

Then, after 9 months generally, the baby is born and absorbs as much knowledge of the world surrrounding him as he can but then... it is when in my opinion, you can evolve into two kinds of the individuals:

1) Ordinary People: Those who live their daily lives never worrying to much about the mystery of simply existing, the origin of the universe, etc. Just "believing in God" is okay for them. Even if that means they're actually atheist because most people believe in Jesus so they're atheist as regards Thor, Odin, Shiva, Alá, etc

2) Suicidal but Philosophically Curious People: Then, we have individuals like us, who want to CTB and generally are much more curious about the mysteries of the universe. Is there an afterlife? When I ctb, will there be eternal nothingness and I won't ever realize because it'll be just like before I was born?
Many of us are atheist or agnostics because we're CURIOUS and need evidence. There are many religious people too, and nothing wrong with that as long as it helps them face our reality in a better way.

Having mentioned this, it's as if suicidal people had a "chip" bound to want to know more about everything and get the hell out of this world ASAP.
Normal people, on the contrary, will call us "cowards" and say that we'll go to heaven if we do it.

I feel like we can understand normal people because of how basic they are. Nevertheless, there's no way for them to understand US.

What are your thoughts on this? Are some people just programmed to not question how crazy and nonense life is, have a beautiful family, work most of their lives, have their children taking care of them when they're grey and ol and then just... die?
While at the same time, some others like us, are programmed to want to CTB for different reasons and seeing life as a DEADEND?

I just don't get this game, experiment, accident or whatever we're in.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Lilmeowssi, LetzteAusfahrt, pthnrdnojvsc and 4 others
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
I think people are more varied that just your two categories. I am an atheist, philosophically and scientifically VERY curious about the big questions of existence, and have been since I was a small child (I'm now 67). I think life has no ultimate purpose, and if I had been asked in advance I would have chosen not to be born. I reached that conclusion as a teenager, and nothing since has caused me to change my mind. However, I find myself here, and reckon that I might as well make the best of the situation. There are times when life is very good. Except for two periods in my life when external circumstances , fortunately only temporary, pushed me into significant depression, I have not felt seriously suicidal. When my life is clearly approaching its natural close, I may take matters into my own hands and depart at a time and place of my own choosing - but whether or not I do that will depend on circumstances.

What I think I am trying to say is that even with my outlook on life, it is possible to get enough out of life on a day-to-day basis not to feel any need to depart. Why should the fact that something has no ultimate purpose necessarily mean that you have to to get out of it? I think very few people do choose to depart because of purely philosophical considerations. They usually have much more practical reasons, like "My life contains too many problems and I see no way to fix them", or "depression is so painful that I can't cope with it any more". The difference between me and some of the people here who plan to ctb ASAP is probably that I have been fortunate. I had a stable childhood (poor but not desperately poor), a good education, got a good job as a result, and managed to find a good life partner. Those things make a real difference.

Reactions: Spirals and Lorntroubles
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
This is an interesting read. As for the majority of people, yes I do believe (to an extent) they are programmed to just believe that to just exist, learn and accept stuff without questioning orders, obey authority and slave away, reproduce and rinse & repeat the cycle. They don't bother to question things unless it's personal and even then, it's rarely about the things that we are concerned with (right to die, pro-choice topics, suicide, death, etc.), but many other things. In a sense, they do lack self-awareness and critical thinking.

I do believe most of us on here fall into the subset of the 2nd group of people, "suicidal but philosophically curious", and we actually look at life very differently from the mainstream populace. I also agree with you that we understand the masses and why they are what they are (like NPCs - non-playable characters in a video game, which in this case is the world we exist in) as we are more open-minded, less judgmental, and have self-awareness as well as curiosity to see other views. Sadly, I agree with you that it doesn't work the other way around since most NPCs are so close-minded and indoctrinate such that they are not able (and refuse) to see the other perspective about death. They have this notion that death is bad and must be avoided at all costs, life must be preserved regardless of whether the sufferer will benefit or not.

• Love
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Bct, disabledandhopeless and 2 others
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
This thread got me thinking about why so many artists (including musicians, authors, etc.) at the highest levels commit suicide. I thought perhaps there was something about looking at the world critically and through different lenses that leads them to suicide. When you see the world like we do, one can only be troubled.

So I decided to look at some data from the CDC.
DA6F1F3E 7D8E 472E 8CF5 D23411BF28EA
Turns out that rates are highest for manual laborers who tend to work in isolation and face unsteady employment. Healthcare workers, particularly women, are also much higher statistically (as indicated by the two asterisks in the chart). This suggests that life situations play a more significant role in determining whether a person is suicidal.

Reactions: Lostandlooking, ohhgeeitsme, Bct and 1 other person
_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019
No one tells you about it, but suddenly, you're an sperm fighting other millions of them in order to reach your mom's uterus and start evolving so as to become a human being and you know what? YOU did it! YOU beat all of them and were able to get there.

Then, after 9 months generally, the baby is born and absorbs as much knowledge of the world surrrounding him as he can but then... it is when in my opinion, you can evolve into two kinds of the individuals:

1) Ordinary People: Those who live their daily lives never worrying to much about the mystery of simply existing, the origin of the universe, etc. Just "believing in God" is okay for them. Even if that means they're actually atheist because most people believe in Jesus so they're atheist as regards Thor, Odin, Shiva, Alá, etc

2) Suicidal but Philosophically Curious People: Then, we have individuals like us, who want to CTB and generally are much more curious about the mysteries of the universe. Is there an afterlife? When I ctb, will there be eternal nothingness and I won't ever realize because it'll be just like before I was born?
Many of us are atheist or agnostics because we're CURIOUS and need evidence. There are many religious people too, and nothing wrong with that as long as it helps them face our reality in a better way.

Having mentioned this, it's as if suicidal people had a "chip" bound to want to know more about everything and get the hell out of this world ASAP.
Normal people, on the contrary, will call us "cowards" and say that we'll go to heaven if we do it.

I feel like we can understand normal people because of how basic they are. Nevertheless, there's no way for them to understand US.

What are your thoughts on this? Are some people just programmed to not question how crazy and nonense life is, have a beautiful family, work most of their lives, have their children taking care of them when they're grey and ol and then just... die?
While at the same time, some others like us, are programmed to want to CTB for different reasons and seeing life as a DEADEND?

I just don't get this game, experiment, accident or whatever we're in.
Love this post!:heart:

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Meditation guide
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
you can evolve into two kinds of the individuals:
Yes you see things like I do. I've only known one other person who questioned life and what it's about and then found out what I believe is similar to what buddhists believe, so those are like minded also.

It's so surprising to me that most people believe whatever religion they were exposed to. I can't do that. I want my own answers and have thought about this since I was a small child.

I have this strong feeling there is an afterlife. I hope it's nice.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Leshen and Linda
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
This is an interesting read. As for the majority of people, yes I do believe (to an extent) they are programmed to just believe that to just exist, learn and accept stuff without questioning orders, obey authority and slave away, reproduce and rinse & repeat the cycle. They don't bother to question things unless it's personal and even then, it's rarely about the things that we are concerned with (right to die, pro-choice topics, suicide, death, etc.), but many other things. In a sense, they do lack self-awareness and critical thinking.

I do believe most of us on here fall into the subset of the 2nd group of people, "suicidal but philosophically curious", and we actually look at life very differently from the mainstream populace. I also agree with you that we understand the masses and why they are what they are (like NPCs - non-playable characters in a video game, which in this case is the world we exist in) as we are more open-minded, less judgmental, and have self-awareness as well as curiosity to see other views. Sadly, I agree with you that it doesn't work the other way around since most NPCs are so close-minded and indoctrinate such that they are not able (and refuse) to see the other perspective about death. They have this notion that death is bad and must be avoided at all costs, life must be preserved regardless of whether the sufferer will benefit or not.

I agree with everything you said and I lol'd because I always think as NPCs to that kind people. For example an employee in a supermarket who works 10 hours every day, goes back home to say hi to his/her partner, has dinner, goes to sleep, and then the story repeats again.

It's as if they're okay with being "stuck" when there are clearly lots of options out there.

For instance, when I was young I was frustrated because everybody told me that I had to do any full-time office work with a terrible salary because that was when "respondible people did".
Then, fortunately, I investigated a lot about online and freelance jobs, and have never again been a slave in a store or company.

I have lots of reasons to CTB but work is not one of them.

Damn NPCs... Never complain about anything lol

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and pthnrdnojvsc
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
This thread got me thinking about why so many artists (including musicians, authors, etc.) at the highest levels commit suicide. I thought perhaps there was something about looking at the world critically and through different lenses that leads them to suicide. When you see the world like we do, one can only be troubled.
Could you please explain the columns? Are they odds ratios or? Tenure in the field measured in years? I'm confused
I think there are also "ordinary people" who maybe one day gamble all their savings away, go back home, and ctb. End of story. No philosophical inquiries there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Sisifos
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Could you please explain the columns? Are they odds ratios or? Tenure in the field measured in years? I'm confused
Sorry, I should have included a link to the report. The numbers are suicide rates among non-institutionalized working people ages 16-64, per every 100,000 people. The columns represent sex - males in the left column and females in the right.

Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
This is so interesting! I fit into both (or I just don'r fir in to either.

1) Ordinary People: i come from a very religious background, as a convert. And it's like I'm two completely different people (I have DID but it's not a multiple personality issue). When I get depressed, my beliefs go out the window. So, when I'm doing well (for almost 15 years). In March when Lockdown started I began to drift away. It's been open for a month and I've been in the Church four times.it's a weird feeling, which triggers me.

2) Suicidal but Philosophically Curious People: it's not quite what you were describing: I'm not an atheist.in my opinion, I amgoing to be in Hell when I ctb which is the hardest thing I've worked to get over - the fear is almost gone. The unknown is scary and lots of Christians have described Hell. No one knows but that's my fate and philoaophically, my beliefs were set by Tradition and I'm not looking for any other epistemology. I'm the Christian who is taking the Bus to Hell.

so tired or manic

so tired or manic

Arcanist
Jun 12, 2020
there's too many gray factors, like physical health, that play a role. ignorance is bliss though.

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
This is so interesting! I fit into both (or I just don'r fir in to either.

I feel the same as you.
On the one hand, I'm a normal human being because I can work and socialize in any atmosphere.
On the other hand, I feel as if that is just some kind of lie because my real thoughts are about CTB, the origin of the universe, talking about how religion sucks (they think I believe in God, because if I'm honest, I will LITERALLY lose my job lol) , and so on!

All in all, I'm an hybrid just like you haha

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 18655
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
I feel the same as you.
On the one hand, I'm a normal human being because I can work and socialize in any atmosphere.
On the other hand, I feel as if that is just some kind of lie because my real thoughts are about CTB, the origin of the universe, talking about how religion sucks (they think I believe in God, because if I'm honest, I will LITERALLY lose my job lol) , and so on!

All in all, I'm an hybrid just like you haha
You sound a bit like Albert Einstein working in the Swiss patent Office (except that I don't think he was suicidal). I too regarded my job as a means to an end, and was much more interested in ultimate questions. But the job paid the mortgage and kept me fed, and metaphysical/cosmological speculation generally doesn't do that.

• Love
Reactions: WornOutLife and Meditation guide
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
You sound a bit like Albert Einstein working in the Swiss patent Office (except that I don't think he was suicidal). I too regarded my job as a means to an end, and was much more interested in ultimate questions. But the job paid the mortgage and kept me fed, and metaphysical/cosmological speculation generally doesn't do that.

Lol, yeah exactly. That's why it's necessary to keep both personalities and know when and how to use them. That's if u wanna make a living at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Linda