• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
So I went to the doc and said I have insomnia and he suggested this, any users on here that have tried it? Did it work? Any feedback would be highly appreciated as I'm very fussy of what I take. Hugs to all . :hug:

watereyes

watereyes

les malheurs de lizzie
Mar 27, 2020
I have tried three types of antipsychotics: Aripiprazole, Risperidone and Olanzapine. Nothing happened.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I have tried three types of antipsychotics: Aripiprazole, Risperidone and Olanzapine. Nothing happened.
See that's the thing, I'm also not psychotic. So I have no idea why he prescribed me that, he said it's either that or quetiapine. I had a horrible experience with quetiapine in the past, so no thanks....thanks for the info watereyes. :hug:

watereyes

watereyes

les malheurs de lizzie
Mar 27, 2020
As for the insomnia, the only thing that worked for me is alcohol...

Reactions: Sherri
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
As for the insomnia, the only thing that worked for me is alcohol...
Alcohol for me never did it, I like to drink but only non night clubs which are shut obviously and weed I can't stand the smell and munchies lol maybe some anaesthesia would work. Just kidding... thanks hun.

blackwidow92

blackwidow92

Nov 18, 2020
When I was on olanzipine it used to help me sleep well, but I was psychotic prior to having it prescribed. Not sure why they've prescribed it for insomnia.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
When I was on olanzipine it used to help me sleep well, but I was psychotic prior to having it prescribed. Not sure why they've prescribed it for insomnia.
So money down the trash then. Sigh

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Me neither I said I didn't wanna go the anti psychotic way. The thing is Xanax, ambien and flurazepam aren't working anymore even if I take 6 of the, which is enough to put a horse down. I still dont sleep.

Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
See that's the thing, I'm also not psychotic. So I have no idea why he prescribed me that, he said it's either that or quetiapine. I had a horrible experience with quetiapine in the past, so no thanks....thanks for the info watereyes. :hug:
Quetiapine is antipsychotic also, why is he prescribing drugs like that to you for sleeping does he not know his meds, coming off of some antipsychotic medications is horrendous ordeal I know a person who did.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Quetiapine is antipsychotic also, why is he prescribing drugs like that to you for sleeping does he not know his meds, coming off of some antipsychotic medications is horrendous ordeal I know a person who did.
He's running ou of options with me he even said it, ambien stopped working, Xanax also, flurazepam also lost its effect, so he doesn't know what to prescribe me anymore. It's a low dose though....

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
If that's an antipsychotic then it must be being used off label for insomnia. I'd suggest that may be unethical. I know they do it, but really, prescribing a medication like that for insomnia? :notsure:

However, maybe if you are desperate, that's why he prescribed it? I've certainly been there. Six months with less than an hour a night. Insane.

Have you tried mirtazapine? I've been told it 'causes diabetes' but it did have a very soporific effect on me as well as being an anti-depressant and slightly anxyolitic. I'd not take it, but if you are really desperate then maybe it would be better than an off label AP?
You'd really have to discuss it with the psych though, always.

Reactions: SorrySandy
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
If that's an antipsychotic then it must be being used off label for insomnia. I'd suggest that may be unethical. I know they do it, but really, prescribing a medication like that for insomnia? :notsure:

However, maybe if you are desperate, that's why he prescribed it? I've certainly been there. Six months with less than an hour a night. Insane.

Have you tried mirtazapine? I've been told it 'causes diabetes' but it did have a very soporific effect on me as well as being an anti-depressant and slightly anxyolitic. I'd not take it, but if you are really desperate then maybe it would be better than an off label AP?
You'd really have to discuss it with the psych though, always.
I told him I didn't want any anti psychotics and voila, that's what he gives me. How you coping with sleeping one hour a night under???

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I told him I didn't want any anti psychotics and voila, that's what he gives me. How you coping with sleeping one hour a night under???
Oh I'm better now TY. I'm not even sure how I got through it. I kind of just gave up and assumed it would all kill me, then gradually started trying to listen to my body and give it what it needed. Was physical stuff too. Took months.

Yeah I've had that. Specifically asked to NOT have something and been given it anyway. They don't listen then wonder why we don't trust them.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Oh I'm better now TY. I'm not even sure how I got through it. I kind of just gave up and assumed it would all kill me, then gradually started trying to listen to my body and give it what it needed. Was physical stuff too. Took months.

Yeah I've had that. Specifically asked to NOT have something and been given it anyway. They don't listen then wonder why we don't trust them.
Benzos don't do it for me anymore unless I take the whole box, :aw:

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 1465
SorrySandy

SorrySandy

Æmber
Nov 15, 2020
I've been on quetiapine and coming off that helped spark my manic episode. While I was on it I felt utterly numb. They do prescribe it off label for insomnia and it did work for me for that, but not you, sorry to hear.
I relate to this thread. I've had the same discussions recently and felt the same, I'm not manic now so didn't want anti-psychs, the side-effects are well known and they've all got some and some of us feel its not worth the trade off? I sort of do.
Ive got no answers given you've tried quite a few there. It's so tough isn't it. No wonder sleep deprivation used as torture bc it really is...

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
What was your experience with Quetiapine? It works for me but I'm interested
Benzos don't do it for me anymore unless I take the whole box, :aw:
Do you smoke weed? I got a hold of it recently and it kinda gives me the same feeling like benzos but lighter.

Gromit-CTB

Gromit-CTB

time for ctb
Nov 14, 2020
Phenergan was prescribed for me and pointless i stay awake longer with them.than without. THC vape juice works well not the CBD OTC stuff real THC juice, find the best shady vape shop and get the under the counter juice cheaper than CBD as well

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

🚫Safety is a figment of the imagination🚫
Jul 1, 2020
Although yes it is an antipsychotic, many of those medications have a second use. In this case it's for insomnia. Which I can say it helps with (a little bit too much for me) 5mg had me sleeping for 15-20hrs so I broke it in half and still slept for 10-12hrs

Have you tried melatonin? It's an OTC supplement

Last edited:
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I take it in that dose, but not for sleep issues. I guess that's one of its off label uses. Most meds affect you differently in different doses, so just because it's classed as an antipsychotic, doesn't mean it's bad or not appropriate.

Anyway, for me it's being used as an antidepressant in combination with low dose Prozac. I've never had side effects from it as far as I can tell. Never specifically noticed it helping my sleep much either.

Interestingly, when I had to do chemo in the past, I was given Olanzapine in a different dosage as an antiemetic. I didn't find it very helpful for that, either.

I've been prescribed Seroquel and Trazodone for sleep a few times. I hated both, but especially the Seroquel. It definitely works for sleep, but too well, in my opinion. It makes me feel permanently hung over and just all around bad, like I never was fully awake on it.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Well I gave it a go, it actually made me sleep, although I woke up very early and still drowsy.... weird feeling though....
What was your experience with Quetiapine? It works for me but I'm interested

Do you smoke weed? I got a hold of it recently and it kinda gives me the same feeling like benzos but lighter.
Hi Nymph, I too quetiapine last year for two nights and said to myself never again, I had horrible nightmares both nights, I tried the olanzapine it actually made me sleep, but I fell hungover. Unfortunately I don't like weed, even the smell of it makes me feel bad. Wish I liked it though. when I was a teenager I used to smoke hax but now I can't, I get paranoid and eat the whole fridge. Thanks for the tip though.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Gromit-CTB
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
I take it prn (as needed) for bipolar. It's an extremely heavy duty drug with a horrible side effect profile - one of the worst of any pharmaceutical with metabolic syndrome being a significant risk factor.

To take Zyprexa exclusively for insomnia seems to me like duck hunting with a bazooka, unless you have underlying mental health issues.

I struggle with insomnia and obtain the most relief from melatonin with added vitamin B6. This works better for my insomnia than Zyprexa, Restoril, or Trazodone. I didn't seem to have any benefit with the melatonin without the formulation including the B6. At this point, I take nothing else for insomnia.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
metabolic syndrome being a significant risk factor.
Just to add...
The term 'side effects' IMO is a misnomer. It's a purposely dismissive term designed to minimize the perception of harm. The short term deleterious effect of a drug, the ones you get used to and they go away, could maybe be considered 'side effects.' But the long term issues, like metabolic syndrome, are NOT 'side effects' at all in my opinion, they are profound physiological changes that you are then stuck with.

blackwidow92

blackwidow92

Nov 18, 2020
Me neither I said I didn't wanna go the anti psychotic way. The thing is Xanax, ambien and flurazepam aren't working anymore even if I take 6 of the, which is enough to put a horse down. I still dont sleep.
Sorry to hear that you aren't sleeping at all. Sleep is my only escape from reality, not being able to sleep must be like hell. I hope you find some comfort soon. Did you decide to try the olanzipine in the end?

kappa

kappa

Experienced
Apr 2, 2019
I really struggle with sleep.. they did the same thing for me. Doctors said sleeping pills are only for short term use, not chronic insomnia. So they went with antidepressants usually as tried anti psychs as well.

Zyprexa did nothing for me. I did gain about 15 lbs but after 2 weeks the munchies stop. But for a lot of people it's sedating.

It's an antidepressant, but maybe Remeron might help you. It's sedating at the lower dose.

I depend on Lorazepam to sleep now. They will only prescribe 1.5mg daily though so I have to treat it like gold. Memory is kinda fucked but at least I sort of sleep.

M

moon_r4

Jan 27, 2019
Mirtazapine helped me with sleep a lot.
I've had olanzapine before and it did help with sleep, but I found it too sedating in the day.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Mirtazapine helped me with sleep a lot.
I've had olanzapine before and it did help with sleep, but I found it too sedating in the day.
So true I'm always groggy the following morning. And it's making me hungry during the day. I used to only have one meal a day. Now I'm eating allot of junk food.

• Hugs
Reactions: moon_r4 and Fizz
Fizz

Fizz

Dec 3, 2020
My doc prescribed me aripiprazole as an anti depressant amplifier while I was bad on venlafaxine. Now I am on an atypical antidepressant called vortioxetine- while it doesn't make me happy it at least gives me a small bit of functionality which is better than nothing.

kohaku

kohaku

Nonbinary Hysteric
Mar 27, 2019
If you're in Europe or Australia, have you considered agomelatine? It's an antidepressant taken at night because it stimulates melatonin receptors more strongly than OTC melatonin.