raindrops

raindrops

Someday, eventually
Mar 29, 2020
I'm always researching jumping and if I'm honest it's sorta of putting me of doing it. It's like when you google your cold or flu symptoms and google says you have something worse and then you're like oh shit maybe it's corona virus, you know a doctor always says don't use google to self diagnose yourself, yeah, well I need to stop researching this, maybe just crack on with it and see what happens, hmm. The only reason I haven't done it yet is because I believe you would not die instantly.
People have died from the place I have chosen to jump but sometimes I wonder once they hit the ground (rocks) did they bleed out slowly? and/or until the tide come in and slowly drowned them?

This Q&A is from Quora... it leaves me thinking you don't die instantly from jumping off a cliff or building, which means you'd have to suffer some more before you ctb.

If I jump off a building, will I die from the impact of hitting the ground or from the fright in midair?
"You would certainly die from hitting the ground, and not at any point prior to that during the fall.

In the time frames involved with jumping from a building (1 - 17 seconds) you really just do not have enough time to die.
Without significant trauma to the brain stem, you are going to live (conscious or unconscious) until you hit the ground.

The quickest deaths that can result purely from internal forces would probably be attributed to sudden cardiac arrest or similar devises that interrupt flow of blood to the brain.
An aneurysm or brain herniation could potentially kill faster, but you do not develop an aneurysm AND have it burst all within several seconds.

So let's see…you jump, the fear immediately screws up your nervous system's electrical signalling to the heart, and you suffer a sudden cardiac arrest.
Oxygen is no longer being supplied to the brain. How long you remain conscious would probably vary from maybe 5 seconds - 30 seconds (?). From there you still won't be dead for another few minutes.

Depending on how high you jump from, you may or may not lose consciousness before you hit the ground, but you will still be technically alive regardless.
There is no such thing as a truly "instant death" unless you obliterate the brain with force"

Reactions: lobster salad and Huntfish34
GravityUtilizer

GravityUtilizer

Born to lose
May 22, 2020
It's the only thing that kind of puts me off but it would surely be instant unconsciousness, during which death would occur. Right??? I mean on the videos on gore sites it always looks like it's lights out and the lights stay out.

RedDEE

RedDEE

Life sucks and then you die.
May 10, 2019
I think a death falling from a height would be fun. The higher, the better. I wanna jump out of an airplane without a parachute. Weeeeeee. Ka-SPLAT.

Reactions: Thinking
raindrops

raindrops

Someday, eventually
Mar 29, 2020
It's the only thing that kind of puts me off but it would surely be instant unconsciousness, during which death would occur. Right??? I mean on the videos on gore sites it always looks like it's lights out and the lights stay out.
Yeah you're right you could die during unconsciousness but it's the unconscious part that worries me, surely that means there is a chance you could wake up in agony! Could adrenaline keep you alive? There is so much to consider, maybe I'm overthinking it.

I think a death falling from a height would be fun. The higher, the better. I wanna jump out of an airplane without a parachute. Weeeeeee. Ka-SPLAT.
Sounds wonderful. I'm sure there was a woman who survived falling 30,000ft!! This is why I'm worried I won't ka-SPLAT!

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Falls

Reactions: I_love_to_bake
AmDead

AmDead

早く死にたい
Aug 20, 2020
In the time frames involved with jumping from a building (1 - 17 seconds) you really just do not have enough time to die.
Without significant trauma to the brain stem, you are going to live (conscious or unconscious) until you hit the ground.
Reading the Q&A form Quora that you quoted, I assume they are just talking about how fear won't kill you as you fall. The Quora answer does state that you will live, UNTIL you hit the ground. So the impact of hitting the ground hard enough, assuming from an appropriate height and no cushioning, will cause death.

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I fear that it would b more like falling and hitting the ground super hard and feeling extreme pain while bleeding to death or something. From the building around me I could never get instant death

Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019

The story of the Croatian was still within the plane when it crashed. There is absolutely no way possible that they'd survive free-fall at those distances.
That's why I didn't jump yet, I don't want to live in a world of pain, during the last minutes of my life.

Instant death would occur if one were to land on their head but it would be impossible to re-orient yourself unless terminal velocity was reached.

Last edited:
Reactions: esse_est_percipi
L

lem

Aug 16, 2020
The story of the Croatian was still within the plane when it crashed. There is absolutely no way possible that they'd survive free-fall at those distances.

Instant death would occur if one were to land on their head but it would be impossible to re-orient yourself unless terminal velocity was reach.
Heights above 1 km, make no difference, because of terminal velocity. Ivan Chisov landed on a snowy slope, and rolled down, that's why he survived.

Reactions: lobster salad
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
Heights above 1 km, make no difference, because of terminal velocity. Ivan Chisov landed on a snowy slope, and rolled down, that's why he survived.

Yeah, that was my point. if you were able to re-orient yourself than you'd already be a terminal velocity so it wouldn't even matter. I guess the moral of the story is if you want to CTB, don't go sky-diving in the Russian taiga.

Last edited:
Cosmiq

Cosmiq

Student
May 7, 2020
I'm jumping onto concrete, and my place doesn't have any survivors. I figure impact will make me unconscious and that either I'll land in such a way that I die on impact too, or it'll take another moment for my body. But either way, it's highly unlikely I'll feel pain.

Reactions: sadworld and GravityUtilizer
raindrops

raindrops

Someday, eventually
Mar 29, 2020
Reading the Q&A form Quora that you quoted, I assume they are just talking about how fear won't kill you as you fall. The Quora answer does state that you will live, UNTIL you hit the ground. So the impact of hitting the ground hard enough, assuming from an appropriate height and no cushioning, will cause death.
The guy who answered said there is no instant death unless you obliterate the brain. I want to jump from 340ft so I assume there is no way you could obliterate the brain, have enough time to black out or have a cardiac arrest mid air. It will probably take 2/3 seconds to fall from that height. So that means you would probably feel the impact and slowly bleed out, I dunno

AmDead

AmDead

早く死にたい
Aug 20, 2020
The guy who answered said there is no instant death unless you obliterate the brain. I want to jump from 340ft so I assume there is no way you could obliterate the brain, have enough time to black out or have a cardiac arrest mid air. It will probably take 2/3 seconds to fall from that height. So that means you would probably feel the impact and slowly bleed out, I dunno
Then I guess look for a better method? There's lots of options out there. No need to purposely cause yourself more pain before you go.

L

lem

Aug 16, 2020
I think all of them are a greater height than what I have available though.
It says file does not exist, I wonder what height he jumped from
There are more links, check them out.

raindrops

raindrops

Someday, eventually
Mar 29, 2020
Then I guess look for a better method? There's lots of options out there. No need to purposely cause yourself more pain before you go.
I've looked and everything else seems difficult. I wish I could get SN but I live in the UK
Have considered carbon monoxide poisoning still seems like a lot of pissing about.
There are more links, check them out.

I have read it a few times now. Even the low heights bit, one was anorexic the other 72 years old and that other guy got lucky jumping from a second floor
Ty though x

Last edited:
L

lem

Aug 16, 2020
I've looked and everything else seems difficult. I wish I could get SN but I live in the UK
Have considered carbon monoxide poisoning still seems like a lot of pissing about.

I have read it a few times now. Even the low heights bit, one was anorexic the other 72 years old and that other guy got lucky jumping from a second floor
Ty though x
Here is the link, there are 2 videos, it's pretty much the perfect landing for a suicide.

X

Xiaomi

Gone.
Aug 8, 2020
From a height of 30m there is a 90% probability of death. The longer the fall, the higher the probability of death will be. If it is over 100m on land, and 200m on water, the probability is near 100%. The fall from the Golden Gate Bridge, for example, is 74 meters, and 98% of jumpers die, according to Live Science

SleepyTime

SleepyTime

Oct 10, 2019
From a height of 30m there is a 90% probability of death. The longer the fall, the higher the probability of death will be. If it is over 100m on land, and 200m on water, the probability is near 100%. The fall from the Golden Gate Bridge, for example, is 74 meters, and 98% of jumpers die, according to Live Science

And it only takes 4 seconds to hit the water from the Golden Gate Bridge. A 98% success rate and within 4 seconds sounds like pretty good odds.

Reactions: jakaka and Xiaomi
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
I would not count on instant death from many methods really. Jumping has a good success rate from large heights but it isn't an instant death. It will feel pretty quick from your perspective most likely.

• Hugs
Reactions: sadworld