• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
While I have some deep appreciation and respect for the work of the moderation team, and their stance on free speech, I think that the benefits of this "2-way blocking" are nothing compared to the issues that this will inevitably bring to both the dialogue and interactions within the site. Not to mention the ways that it could be exploited to damage, mislead, and even indirectly hurt users.

When you 2 way block someone, you are not just blocking that person. You are also limiting other people's interaction with them and exclude diversity of opinions from the threads you create, which may have been enriched by their presence there.

It's also very frustrating since it's turned on by default. I find this disastrous, it means that the more users get blocked, the less interactions we'll have with each others, even if we are not in someone's blacklist, we'll still get threads with fractured information and less contribution.

I hope that I'm wrong, but I feel that the line between a place of discussion and a safe space is being drawn, I've been thinking that for a while now.
Some people want nothing but support (completely understandable given their situation btw) but it's not impossible to have both without damaging the identity of this forum with such drastic measures, even if they look innocuous at first.

Last edited:
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
I hope that I'm wrong, but I feel that the line between a place of discussion and a safe space is being drawn, I've been thinking that for a while now.
Some people want nothing but support (completely understandable given their situation btw) but it's not impossible to have both without damaging the identity of this forum with such drastic measures, even if they look innocuous at first.

Fair enough. That's why I'm in favour of the measure.
There are more concerning things on sasu rn though, like NYT forced us to remove the resources and the wiki...

Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
While I have some deep appreciation and respect for the work of the moderation team, and their stance on free speech, I think that the benefits of this "2-way blocking" are nothing compared to the issues that this will inevitably bring to both the dialogue and interactions within the site. Not to mention the ways that it could be exploited to damage, mislead, and even indirectly hurt users.

When you 2 way block someone, you are not just blocking that person. You are also limiting other people's interaction with them and exclude diversity of opinions from the threads you create, which may have been enriched by their presence there.

It's also very frustrating since it's turned on by default. I find this disastrous, it means that the more users get blocked, the less interactions we'll have with each others, even if we are not in someone's blacklist, we'll still get threads with fractured information and less contribution.

@Fragile, you make a valid point. Two-way blocking leads indeed to fragmented conversations. I can't disagree with that.

Nonetheless, I am in favour of this feature, because my need to shield myself from certain types of content, overrules the desire to ensure that conversations are coherent and unfractured. As long as the option is given to me, I will use it.

I do, however, think you are right in that the option should not be turned on by default.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Fragile
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
@Fragile, you make a valid point. Two-way blocking leads indeed to fragmented conversations. I can't disagree with that.

Nonetheless, I am in favour of this feature, because my need to shield myself from certain types of content, overrules the desire to ensure that conversations are coherent and unfractured. As long as the option is given to me, I will use it.

I do, however, think you are right in that the option should not be turned on by default.
Well I've literally had a notification to tell me I've been quote-replied to in a thread which l can no longer see because l was blocked by the op not to protect him from bullying, but because he did not like my refusal to do his public doxxing.

In my opinion your need to shield yourself from content, itself a valid position, should not lead to the implementation of a tool which enables this, there has to be a balance which is fair to all users, and this is not it.

Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
Well I've literally had a notification to tell me I've been quote-replied to in a thread which l can no longer see because l was blocked by the op not to protect him from bullying, but because he did not like my refusal to do his public doxxing.

In my opinion your need to shield yourself from content, itself a valid position, should not lead to the implementation of a tool which enables this, there has to be a balance which is fair to all users, and this is not it.

Yes, I understand that must be frustrating and unfair. I guess everyone who uses the two-way block risks putting people in the same position you just described, which is at best unpleasant, and at worst infuriating.

I haven't been a member of other forums so I wonder how they do it in other communities. Is there a better solution? Do you happen to know?

I'll have a closer look at the replies in this thread because I'd like to find out why this option was added by Marquis in the first place. I'm assuming it was at the request of forum members… which would suggest that there is both support and an expressed need for the two-way block. But I don't recall reading about it.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
Yes, I understand that must be frustrating and unfair. I guess everyone who uses the two-way block risks putting people in the same position you just described, which is at best unpleasant, and at worst infuriating.

I haven't been a member of other forums so I wonder how they do it in other communities. Is there a better solution? Do you happen to know?

I'll have a closer look at the replies in this thread because I'd like to find out why this option was added by Marquis in the first place. I'm assuming it was at the request of forum members… which would suggest that there is both support and an expressed need for the two-way block. But I don't recall reading about it.
I think if I'm honest a lot of other forums don't necessarily need it because this forum perhaps has a high number of essentially pointless reports which go to the mods. I'm being very careful with my words here so you may have to look closely between the lines, however this tool does diminish the workload of voluntary mods who have to sift through a pile of bullshit reports submitted on a flimsy basis of personal beefing or whatever.

An effective muting tool is one which tailors the content to your liking and excludes any output which you may find unpleasant. An ineffective one is one which negatively impacts upon the quality of forum use and experience of other users simply because you don't like them. This is what we have now and is how one uses a personal social media account, but is not how a public forum or online community should be used.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Well, the votes have been counted and the results are:

For: 2 mods

Against: literally everyone else

Conclusive victory there for the Fors, the numbers don't lie, well done everyone for settling this so amicably
I'm sorry, when did ss become a democracy? The only people who have the right to make decisions are those who maintain the site financially or technically. Even if you donated, that doesn't give you or other members a say. Don't like what the mods are doing, make your own forum.

This is not directed only at @Chinaski We are all guests here. Visitors don't tell hosts what to do in their own house.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
I'm sorry, when did ss become a democracy? The only people who have the right to make decisions are those who maintain the site financially or technically. Even if you donated, that doesn't give you or other members a say. Don't like what the mods are doing, make your own forum.

This is not directed only at @Chinaski We are all guests here. Visitors don't tell hosts what to do in their own house.
What the hell are you even talking about here - if the argument in favour of it is that it benefits users and improves their experience, it's absolutely right that the users who feel that it absolutely does not benefit them and is significantly detrimental to their forum experience register that.

I'm not sure what made you think the mods needed you to say this on their behalf but it's complete bullshit.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
What the hell are you even talking about here - if the argument in favour of it is that it benefits users and improves their experience, it's absolutely right that the users who feel that it absolutely does not benefit them and is significantly detrimental to their forum experience register that.

I'm not sure what made you think the mods needed you to say this on their behalf but it's complete bullshit.
I'm no one's mouthpiece 👍 and the mods certainly don't my help.

justsayin

justsayin

Jan 30, 2021
I have just been 2-way blocked in the middle of discussion, and all the quoted parts of my posts are gone, Is this supposed to happen? Now it looks like I'm talking to myself.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/hire-new-mods.80299/

P

PeacefulTonic

Enlightened
Aug 10, 2021
I have just been 2-way blocked in the middle of discussion, and all the quoted parts of my posts are gone, Is this supposed to happen? Now it looks like I'm talking to myself.

Yep. Such a shitty function

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018

I'm two-way blocked by the OP so can't even see the thread ffs.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
Tbh l tend to avoid threads which are basically power-hungry types with axes to grind clamouring to be made a moderator anyway so it's no great loss.
I guess that means that you can not vote on it either.

Someone should open a suggestion thread about removing 2-way blocking feature from suggestion threads.
Do it, just bear in mind those who have blocked you won't be able to contribute...

justsayin

justsayin

Jan 30, 2021
Tbh l tend to avoid threads which are basically power-hungry types with axes to grind clamouring to be made a moderator anyway so it's no great loss.

Do it, just bear in mind those who have blocked you won't be able to contribute...

There isn't anything important in that specific thread (from what I can see), but it seems that 2-way blocking takes the purpose out of the whole Suggestions subforum. Those that don't agree with new suggestions won't be able to say it, or downwote. They won't even be aware that there is a discussion or voting going on. This is way to similar to real life democracy.

Last edited:
lostundead

lostundead

Student
Mar 18, 2021
WOW, @justsayin , great nudes you just posted! Good thing I didn't block you for having a different oponion than me, otherwise I'd be missing out on this juuuicy content.

Reactions: NumbItAll
justsayin

justsayin

Jan 30, 2021
@RainAndSadness @Meretlein @Hass
I have created a suggestion thread regarding 2-way blocking function, but it's gone for some reason.

justsayin

justsayin

Jan 30, 2021
@RainAndSadness @Meretlein @Hass
I have created a suggestion thread regarding 2-way blocking function, but it's gone for some reason.

It has reappeared. Thanks to whoever fixed it!

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...s-subforum-and-2-way-blocking-function.80498/

Last edited:
Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
Fair play to you for this, l put in a "suggestion" myself that mods do not advertise for staff, and accept expressions of interest thereafter, in threads started by non-staff, as has been done in the "hire new mods" thread from which many users are blocked by the op and thus unable to see the mod post inviting mod applications. Obviously the impact of this is that the mod applications come from within the narrowed pool of one user, and people one individual user has taken a dislike to are excluded.

Anyway this suggestion was deleted within twenty minutes of posting, so l hope yours fares better.

RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
Thanks for all the constructive criticism. After considering all the arguments put forward in this thread, we've made the decision to disable the 2-way block feature. We have received a lot of feedback and concerns which highlight potential problems and abuse behind this function. While I still think it had a lot of potential, the way it was implemented allowed members to exclude others from entire threads and therefore hindered them to engage with the community and access information on a broad scale. That was never the intention behind this feature. It disrupted and limited access to conversations in a negative way and I do think this strongly outweights the benefits that were supposed to come with that function. I don't think a forum like ours that puts such a strong empathis on speech should rely on features that restricts it so heavily.

Tl;dr - this feature has been removed.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
Thanks for all the constructive criticism. After considering all the arguments put forward in this thread, we've made the decision to disable the 2-way block feature. We have received a lot of feedback and concerns which highlight potential problems and abuse behind this function. While I still think it had a lot of potential, the way it was implemented allowed members to exclude others from entire threads and therefore hindered them to engage with the community and access information on a broad scale. That was never the intention behind this feature. It disrupted and limited access to conversations in a negative way and I do think this strongly outweights the benefits that were supposed to come with that function. I don't think a forum like ours that puts such a strong empathis on speech should rely on features that restricts it so heavily.

Thank you so much for listening carefully to the feedback from people on here and responding appropriately.

Now to sit back with a hot drink and read the newly-visible CHINASKI IS A FUCKING ASSHOLE megathread.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020

Well, now I'll never use the public chat again. There's a member who's always in there who I don't want to have any interaction with, nor do I want him reading my messages to other members. I think I may heavily limit my postings on here going forward. Now I have to have all my conversations in private if I don't want one member to see them. Not to mention the fact that he's harassing a friend of mine who's also on here, and now she can't block him either.

Getting rid of this feature is a huge mistake - it's forcing members to censor themselves because they don't want any interaction at all with certain members.

RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
Well, now I'll never use the public chat again. There's a member who's always in there who I don't want to have any interaction with, nor do I want him reading my messages to other members. I think I may heavily limit my postings on here going forward. Now I have to have all my conversations in private if I don't want one member to see them. Not to mention the fact that he's harassing a friend of mine who's also on here, and now she can't block him either.

Getting rid of this feature is a huge mistake - it's forcing members to censor themselves because they don't want any interaction at all with certain members.

I actually think this feature enabled censorship to a certain degree, that's why we removed it. What you describe sounds like a rule violation though. I strongly recommend to report your situation to staff and we'll take a look at it.

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018

Very respectable, thank you for taking everything into consideration. Now will someone start bullying me so I can get to work on my 1-way ignore list? It's looking kinda barren...

aAKyFzS.jpg

4eyebiped

4eyebiped

Mage
Dec 28, 2019
Very respectable, thank you for taking everything into consideration. Now will someone start bullying me so I can get to work on my 1-way ignore list? It's looking kinda barren...

aAKyFzS.jpg
You look like a booger gum drop and your nonexistent feet smell. Oh, and I give you a virtual push with a mean looking face.

• Aww..
Reactions: NumbItAll
Status
Not open for further replies.