• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
It is their responsibility to be charitable to you and try to represent you accurately. That was a failure. Then it was your responsibility to be charitable to them and correct them nicely. That was a failure. You aren't being held to special standards, you just refuse to accept the basic standard. You don't have a right to be mean just because they were. Your "perspective" is misguided if you think you have no responsibility to be nice to people, even in a misunderstanding.

Let's brainstorm. How about saying: "I never said that"
Instead of: "l do not encourage suicide and never have, even when the individual is a total fucking cunt."

Don't fight fire with fire. Toughen up and put it out.
The fact that you're agreeing that in both instances the other party was not exactly conducting themselves with maturity and honesty respectively and yet still see fit to be foremostly critical of my responses to each is frankly bizarre imho.

Reactions: PeacefulTonic
9BBN

9BBN

Heaven, send Hell away
Mar 29, 2021
The fact that you're agreeing that in both instances the other party was not exactly conducting themselves with maturity and honesty respectively and yet still see fit to be foremostly critical of my responses to each is frankly bizarre imho.
It's bizarre that you think you can act so immature just because someone made a mistake. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THEY DID. You don't get to insult.

Breathless

Breathless

Dec 7, 2021
Hello everyone, I just want to announce these additional features that we've been working on. I hope you all can put them to good use.
  • New Ignore Button Functionality: Two Way Blocking
  • Hide Logo

New Ignore Button Functionality: Two Way Blocking

View attachment 79644

The ignore button can be used as a block button now. If you have Two-way blocking enabled in your settings, everyone that you ignored will not be able to see your posts or threads. This is a feature that I have contemplated adding, but I do believe that it will do more good by giving members more control of who they interact with. You can always change the functionality of the ignore back to a simple ignore function by disabling the option above.

Hide Logo

View attachment 79645

You can now hide the logo now. I haven't gotten around to making this work on our other themes, but I do plan on having this work on all themes. This will hide the logo if you're in public places, for example.

I hope you all enjoy these updates and have a happy holiday season!

Marquis
Thank you for your continued work on this

• Love
Reactions: demuic and Amumu
Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
It's bizarre that you think you can act so immature just because someone made a mistake. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THEY DID. You don't get to insult.
Okay l get it and take your points on board, cowardly cry-bully manoeuvres and prissy bullshitting about other members is forgiven on this forum, abrasive tone in reply is absolutely verboten and below the high standards of this cosy safe haven, from now on l shall endeavour to conduct myself in the appropriate fashion acceptable to you.

9BBN

9BBN

Heaven, send Hell away
Mar 29, 2021
Okay l get it and take your points on board, cowardly cry-bully manoeuvres and prissy bullshitting about other members is forgiven on this forum, abrasive tone in reply is absolutely verboten and below the high standards of this cosy safe haven, from now on l shall endeavour to conduct myself in the appropriate fashion acceptable to you.
Did you see me forgiving people for accusing you of telling people to kill themselves?

I'm foremost critical of you because you are clearly capable of better conduct, and yet you keep refusing to admit you did something wrong, albeit this time sarcastically. It's obvious from the others' posts that their accusations were based on misunderstandings. It would be nice if they admitted that too, but I can't see their posts.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
Did you see me forgiving people for accusing you of telling people to kill themselves?

I'm foremost critical of you because you are clearly capable of better conduct, and yet you keep refusing to admit you did something wrong, albeit this time sarcastically. It's obvious from the others' posts that their accusations were based on misunderstandings. It would be nice if they admitted that too, but I can't see their posts.
See this is it, l *am* held to higher standards, because l am apparently clearly capable of better conduct. This somewhat infantilises the other parties imo, it's not as if the basics of "don't flame or tell lies about forum members" are beyond them, surely.

It would appear that we are both blocked by the parties we are discussing, perhaps they've interjected here and we can't even see it, maybe we're having this discussion completely oblivious to the rest of this thread and this would look odd to anyone reading it, and this is exactly why the old "ignore" feature was better than the current setup.

Depressed_Kettle

Depressed_Kettle

Experienced
Apr 25, 2021
I am grateful for all your hard work on this site but I don't agree with the two-way blocking.
What you don't understand is that with the 1-way blocking, the person who can see the message of the person who ignored them can tell whatever they want about them without them noticing it. So it's in that case that they can't defend themselves.

With the 2-way blocking, everything's good. Nobody slanders anyone. You're confusing both models.
If someone is slandering another person they should be banned. Two-way blocking is just a bandage to a more serious problem. This is a support site, no one should be slandering anyone. I really don't understand why people can't get along on a site meant for understanding and helping each other.

Last edited:
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
I am grateful for all your hard work on this site but I don't agree with the two-way blocking.

If someone is slandering another person they should be banned. Two-way blocking is just a bandage to a more serious problem. This is a support site, no one should be slandering anyone. I really don't understand why people can't get along on a site meant for understanding and helping each other.

Yet 2 way blocking is another safety, mods aren't omniscient and people aren't always reported

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
How beautiful that a thread about the new block feature almost immediately devolved into a flame war. :ahhha: I do agree with the concerns mentioned though... I don't exactly understand what the upside is (maybe someone can explain how it's advantageous to 1-way blocking?), and it comes with some potential problems. Ability to hide the logo of course is a great addition, and I do appreciate all the hard work you guys put in to keep the site running. :)

9BBN

9BBN

Heaven, send Hell away
Mar 29, 2021
See this is it, l *am* held to higher standards, because l am apparently clearly capable of better conduct. This somewhat infantilises the other parties imo, it's not as if the basics of "don't flame or tell lies about forum members" are beyond them, surely.

It would appear that we are both blocked by the parties we are discussing, perhaps they've interjected here and we can't even see it, maybe we're having this discussion completely oblivious to the rest of this thread and this would look odd to anyone reading it, and this is exactly why the old "ignore" feature was better than the current setup.
I'm not holding you to a higher standard. I think abrasive behavior is bad, and the hasty accusations against you were bad. The reason you're getting so much attention is because you keep replying to me saying you have no fault in this.

At the end of the day, you keep justifying your abrasive behavior with this message: "It really isn't my fault entirely that the people who bring the flame can't take the response." Consider, maybe, that you have the right to be angry, but not the right to be calling people dickheads. Let your arguments speak for themselves.

I disagree with @PeacefulTonic that anybody is specifcally "calling you out" to a higher standard. Please read the history and see the only reason Chinaski gets attention is because he keeps insisting he has zero faults. Remember this whole thing started when Chinaski needed to be reminded by @hotelbeneathground that he actually called people insults at all?

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
Uh, yeah, and as was made clear, there were no insults.

If you don't like my posting style, that is fine, l don't care for your sanctimonious output either, but you are making quite clear with each post that you are failing in your role as self-appointed arbiter of forum conduct by holding different users to different standards - and yes, frankly, manipulative cry-bully conduct and outright bullshit about other members is definitely more harmful to this website than my posting style.

• Love
9BBN

9BBN

Heaven, send Hell away
Mar 29, 2021
Uh, yeah, and as was made clear, there were no insults.

If you don't like my posting style, that is fine, l don't care for your sanctimonious output either, but you are making quite clear with each post that you are failing in your role as self-appointed arbiter of forum conduct by holding different users to different standards - and yes, frankly, manipulative cry-bully conduct and outright bullshit about other members is definitely more harmful to this website than my posting style.
You see no problem with your language and that is even more problematic.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
You see no problem with your language and that is even more problematic.
I've been here numerous times, reading the risible tone-policing from a pious white knight, one hundred percent of the time these people have turned out to be some weirdo with a sockpuppet alt, someone who has faked a death and returned in a new guise to soak up the grief, on more than one occasion it was full-on N scamming. As a result l fail to take it seriously when it occurs, there's a reason why my posting style is presented as the most harmful thing to ever exist on this website, over and above the scammers, the predators, the bullshitters, the fakers.

I make absolutely clear here that l do not like you, l do not trust your motives, and l am absolutely not going to amend how l interact on this website to satisfy your weird double standards.

4eyebiped

4eyebiped

Mage
Dec 28, 2019
I respect the ongoing offtopic discussion here but it might be more reasonable to carry it to DMs at this point. The core subject matter of this thread is important and it would be fruitful to have constructive dialogue concerning it. I fear that when a thread goes too far off path for too long it is ignored and anything useful within falls upon deaf ears.

Reactions: justsayin
RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
I understand both sides, there are definitely valid concerns in this thread. But this feature wasn't implemented to make life easier for us moderators as it was suggested by some members. We enforce rules. And rule violations are still rule violations, no matter what. If we see abusive or harmful behavior, we're going to step in. Nothing has changed in that regards. This feature helps members to avoid and restrict personal drama and in most cases, this is business we have nothing to do with because they very often aren't severe enough to break any rules - I'm speaking from experience here. And I don't even want to get sucked into this kind of business. My job is to moderate this forum, regulate abusive behavior and remove harmful content. I'm not here to work out interpersonal conflicts. I just wanted to point that out.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
Well, the votes have been counted and the results are:

For: 2 mods

Against: literally everyone else

Conclusive victory there for the Fors, the numbers don't lie, well done everyone for settling this so amicably

9BBN

9BBN

Heaven, send Hell away
Mar 29, 2021
I understand both sides, there are definitely valid concerns in this thread. But this feature wasn't implemented to make life easier for us moderators as it was suggested by some members. We enforce rules. And rule violations are still rule violations, no matter what. If we see abusive or harmful behavior, we're going to step in. Nothing has changed in that regards. This feature helps members to avoid and restrict personal drama and in most cases, this is business we have nothing to do with because they very often aren't severe enough to break any rules - I'm speaking from experience here. And I don't even want to get sucked into this kind of business. My job is to moderate this forum, regulate abusive behavior and remove harmful content. I'm not here to work out interpersonal conflicts. I just wanted to point that out.
What about the ability to abuse it? Scams, bullying, etc. You haven't responded to that.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
Anyway, we're both in agreement that the block system is shite, to which l will add that if l was a manipulative predator, or an N scammer, I'd be very much inclined to block the users who are more attuned to this behaviour and inclined to call it out from seeing my output. Just a thought.

Dumping this here again purely for posterity...

omoidarui

omoidarui

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Apr 30, 2019
the two-way blocked member could simply log out and copy-paste the content that would otherwise be invisible to them into a quote bracket if they wanted to reply to it (logged back in)

so even if you justify the need for this feature, it doesn't 100% do what it's supposed to; an unknowing reader on the side of a block will probably notice when posts don't follow and attribute it to that

also I need to make a mental note never to disagree with certain topic starters because i don't want to be excluded from big topics like SS Lounge or forum games :haha:

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
the two-way blocked member could simply log out and copy-paste the content that would otherwise be invisible to them into a quote bracket if they wanted to reply to it (logged back in)

I've actually considered doing that, but the bitch bitching about me is indescribably boring & people are ignoring him (in the uncontroversial old-fashioned sense lol)

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Add a new rule that prohibits members from using the ignore function.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
It very much appears as if this feature is here to stay in which case l feel l must point out examples of how this tool enables, and therefore increases, personal drama and thread derailment rather than reduces it.

In this thread l am blocked by two users who proceed to discuss me in pejorative terms in public once blocked. One user, despite immediately revising his opinion in accordance with the argument l put to him, describes me as "toxic", another as "arrogant". These are direct insults and yet as I'm blocked I'm unable to see it to report it should l wish. This is an abusive use of the block tool, and whilst l appreciate Mods are very busy right now if they have time to edit my posts as seen below then there is also time to remove derailing personal insults delivered from behind the block.

Post in thread 'Euthanasia for all' https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/euthanasia-for-all.77446/post-1420712

In the below thread "you are a vile person" is delivered from behind the block, again a personal insult which contravenes forum rules, again an abusive use of the block tool.

Post in thread 'So I'm following what's happening on Twitter...' https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/so-im-following-whats-happening-on-twitter.79233/post-1421464

As above, l get that Mods are very busy but given the admin add a fave to a post describing my output as "sanctimony, contrarian, hypocrisy" in this thread it could well appear that there are different standards applied to different users on this forum, and that the rules are not equally or consistently applied. It would also suggest, given these offensive posts were not removed, that Mods are okay with you delivering direct, unambiguous insults from behind the block as it generates no report for them to deal with, however this also enables users to publicly abuse others with no repercussion if the individual cannot see it to report it.

Regarding thread derailment due to personal drama, below is a thread totally derailed by chat about who has been blocked by whom and why, where one user speculates at length about why they've been blocked, in terms which could be seen as generating bad feeling to those particular users amongst other forum members, while these users being discussed have zero right to reply. In one instance here a user is pathologised and the reason for the blocking is discussed in quasi-diagnostic bullshit.

Post in thread 'NYT story megathread' https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/nyt-story-megathread.79116/post-1423191

This block tool is dreadful, is detrimental to the forum experience, and is absolutely enabling, not reducing, personal mud-slinging and drama.

Last edited:
P

PeacefulTonic

Enlightened
Aug 10, 2021
I applaud this feature as before I decided to leave the site for a break it has been very peaceful and silentious after I got rid of the bully that pushed me further into suicide and after went on here to victimize himself.

I hesitated to post my opinion because of anxiety, but recently after a conversation where I got myself reminded of it I decided to post it because so far most opinions were negative. I think it's a very useful feature that prevents bullying or users attacking you for no reason, so there's it.

(By the way this post is scheduled)
How is the two-way blocking any better? Ignore would've produced the same result

C

cyanol

Looking for my place
Nov 30, 2021
Personally I don't like two-way blocking either, due to the same reasons mentioned above. In my opinion, keeping the two-way blocking OFF for default (so that new members don't automatically use the function) seems like a good compromise. I am relatively new to here though, so feel free to correct me.

ImLosingMyGrip

ImLosingMyGrip

You may call me Cam, if you do so respectfully
Sep 16, 2021
They are all too often not implemented. Sometimes it even takes ages & an enormous amount of effort to get blatant racists & misogynists banned. Misandrists almost never suffer any consequences, & neither do the members who suffer from disorders that make them behave extremely inappropriately.

Never gonna happen unless the mods start getting paid, which is never gonna happen.

@9BBN @Chinaski @justsayin @Voûte_Étoilée
Are you guys brave enough to join me in coming right out & saying that the mods have introduced 2-way blocking in order to reduce their workload? :smiling: We might as well face it: this feature is here to stay.
Nothing wrong with that. They do a lot making this active for us. I hope they van reduce thier workload. Thanks behind the scenes team. Your effort is appreciated

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Nothing wrong with that. They do a lot making this active for us. I hope they van reduce thier workload. Thanks behind the scenes team. Your effort is appreciated

Of course it's appreciated. It would be sadistic to expect the volunteers serving this community to work even harder. If I'm not mistaken, they're all still suicidal themselves. I know I'd never be able to do their job. I really miss @Symbiote, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.