• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Scarlett00

Scarlett00

I’m someone I don’t want around.
Dec 17, 2019
i got officially diagnosed with BPD yesterday alongside my Major Depressive Disorder and GAD. Finding it a bit overwhelming and wondered if anyone had any advice on what to do with a new diagnosis :heart:

SlackJim

SlackJim

Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost
Sep 30, 2019
remember nothing has changed about you, no need to react to a diagnosis, it's more just the doctors trying to categorise a certain set of symptoms. You are an individual with a unique past and present, don't let any labels define you.

LegaliseIt!

LegaliseIt!

Elementalist
Nov 29, 2019
Last edited:
Scarlett00

Scarlett00

Dec 17, 2019
remember nothing has changed about you, no need to react to a diagnosis, it's more just the doctors trying to categorise a certain set of symptoms. You are an individual with a unique past and present, don't let any labels define you.
thank you so much this was really comforting
Hi,
I am 55, and was only diagnosed with BPD earlier this year. Here's a link I found helpful:
https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/borderline-personality-disorder-bpd/
Hi! Thank you so much I really appreciate this. I'll give it a read ☺️

Reactions: TheDevilsAngel
Scarlett00

Scarlett00

Dec 17, 2019
Hello - so sorry to hear this. I understand and it sucks to say the least. Try not to let the diagnosis get in your head ... it's just a label they put on us for insurance purposes.
Thank you I'll do my best. I think I just got overwhelmed because of the huge stigma around personality disorders. But I'll try not to let it get to my head, thank you

LegaliseIt!

LegaliseIt!

Elementalist
Nov 29, 2019
Here's a previous post with self-care tips:
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/bpd-and-mood-swings.21821/post-404364
I used the Search function to find this. On the right hand side of your screen is a magnifying glass icon. Tap it and enter search terms. Press the "Gear" icon.
A dialogue box pops up, so you can refine your search. I always seem to get useful help from this feature.
Hugs,
L.

Last edited:
Scarlett00

Scarlett00

Dec 17, 2019
I also have BPD, but remember that it's just a bunch of symptoms at the end of the day and it doesn't define you
Thank you so much, you're totally right
Here's a previous post with self-care tips:
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/bpd-and-mood-swings.21821/post-404364
I used the Search function to find this. On the right hand side of your screen is a magnifying glass icon. Tap it and enter search terms. Press the "Gear" icon.
A dialogue box pops up, so you can refine your search. I always seem to get useful help from this feature.
Hugs,
L.
Thank you so much for the tip! I'm new here so this is definitely helpful. I'll have a look at that post for sure.
Hugs
Good luck Scarlet :heart:
Thank you so much

Last edited:
Dawgmom

Dawgmom

Oct 23, 2019
I hate when people are "diagnosed" with " BPD". I often wonder if it's even true with the number of people who are. It upsets them because it has such a negative condemnation about it. I don't have it but have seen so many people here become so devastated and consumed by being told this is their problem.

I'm wondering, because I have no idea, is CBT the "treatment" for BPD? If so, I would question the diagnosis just based on that. Because I strongly feel CBT is another conspiracy therapy. Some will disagree but to me, it's nothing unlike a diet. All you have to do is deprive yourself of negative thoughts and your problems with melt away. Yeah, that'll be a long-term fix.

• Love
Reactions: enjoy and exhausted
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I hate when people are "diagnosed" with " BPD". I often wonder if it's even true with the number of people who are. It upsets them because it has such a negative condemnation about it. I don't have it but have seen so many people here become so devastated and consumed by being told this is their problem.

I'm wondering, because I have no idea, is CBT the "treatment" for BPD? If so, I would question the diagnosis just based on that. Because I strongly feel CBT is another conspiracy therapy. Some will disagree but to me, it's nothing unlike a diet. All you have to do is deprive yourself of negative thoughts and your problems with melt away. Yeah, that'll be a long-term fix.
It is more common now. It has to be. I suspect that it became more common because once the state successfully destroyed the institution of marriage, and promoted single motherhood especially. Oh and many women are now having to abandon their infant fairly early to be in the labor force. Unfortunately if u are not able to be consistently there for the baby then insecure attachment develops in those first couple years of life. Also some moms probably resent the demands of the baby in some cases and will just let the baby cry and not try to soothe it which then starts this abandonment fear, the stage is set for adjustment problems as the kid gets older. It used to be that there was a lot more support around the raising of children but nowadays it's not uncommon to not have much family or extended family to sort of step in, which leaves children to be raised by unrelated strangers in daycare, baby sitters, other kids, and gov school. Child abuse certainly is much higher in the average single mother home. Sexual abuse risk on kids increases 40 times if u have no biological father and the intact family with both biological parents in the home. Marriage still exists but it's less and less common because it's more risky for men to marry under the current system and so fewer men are willing to marry if they know a woman can destroy them in the event of a divorce.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensei
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019

Mental health diagnosis is becoming more common across the board, there isn't just 1 condition that is more prevalent. BPD is a fairly new condition in the grand scheme of things and I think that's why maybe it's heard of and more diagnosed than others. I work in emergency medicine and I do hear of BPD frequently, but I also hear of many of mental health conditions just as frequently.
As for treatment, CBT and DBT are the most common and supposedly the most effective. Medications are used usually to treat associated problems such as depression and paranoia. I take SSRI's and antipsychotics for my BPD as well as sleeping tablets. BPD also holds one of the highest suicide rates amongst sufferers, I think it's something like 1/10 people commit suicide.
On the flip side, people can and do recover. It is definitely something that can be overcome, it's not a death sentence. But its dependant on so many factors.

exhausted

exhausted

Experienced
Oct 22, 2019
Mental health diagnosis is becoming more common across the board, there isn't just 1 condition that is more prevalent. BPD is a fairly new condition in the grand scheme of things and I think that's why maybe it's heard of and more diagnosed than others. I work in emergency medicine and I do hear of BPD frequently, but I also hear of many of mental health conditions just as frequently.
As for treatment, CBT and DBT are the most common and supposedly the most effective. Medications are used usually to treat associated problems such as depression and paranoia. I take SSRI's and antipsychotics for my BPD as well as sleeping tablets. BPD also holds one of the highest suicide rates amongst sufferers, I think it's something like 1/10 people commit suicide.
On the flip side, people can and do recover. It is definitely something that can be overcome, it's not a death sentence. But its dependant on so many factors.

Amazing that you can do such a stressful job whilst having this condition, you inspire me!