• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

subhuman metalhead

subhuman metalhead

Crowdkiller
Jul 7, 2023
This is a long one so brace yourselves

I went to the counselor's office at my university last Thursday because I wanted to vent; when I was talking to the counselor, he asked if I was suicidal. I said I wasn't that day, however, I was last week. When I said that, I was immediately shipped off in an ambulance to the nearest emergency behavioral health unit. Throughout the entire ride, I was crying, shaking, and terrified. The reason? If my father were to find out about this incident, he would have more incentive to force me to live with him; he's extremely emotionally and mentally abusive along with being very controlling of me despite the fact that I'm 20 years old. Not to mention the fact that I wasn't suicidal that day at all.

I signed a DNA (do not announce) order immediately to ensure that my father –Or anyone else in my family– would contact me or find me. I waited until 6 at night when I got the news from the social worker that I would not be leaving EBH, but would be heading to a behavioral health hospital and had the choice of either being a 201 or a 302 admit. For those who do not know, a 201 means you "volunteer" to sign yourself into treatment, however, you still don't have a choice on leaving on your own accord. A 302 means that you are forcefully admitted to a mental health hospital against your will. It stays on your permanent record and federally bans you from owning any firearms for a duration of time along with getting several of your rights stripped whilst in the hospital. You can get the 302 revoked if your doctor agrees that you are of sound mind but that is extremely uncommon and in order to protest it, you have to go to court.

I signed the 201 for obvious reasons and was incredibly distraught about the situation I had placed myself in. The next day, I was shipped off to the behavioral health hospital. I hadn't taken any of my psych meds that day because no one gave them to me. Once I got to the behavioral health hospital and was finished being admitted, I immediately signed a 72 hour notice which essentially means that I would be discharged within that time period, that is, if my doctor assigned to me approved the request, otherwise, I'd have to resend it which means I revoked my decision otherwise I would be 302'd.

The first day I was there, I got a notice from one of the nurses that my dad had found out where I was staying. The DNA order was already in place and I am an adult so the only way he could have found out was if either A. Someone who knew of my situation told him, or B. Someone slipped up and told him where I was when they weren't supposed to. Because I'm under 25, I'm still under his insurance. The only thing he should have known was that I was at a hospital due to a charge that was filed. Not the exact hospital I was at, but that I went to a hospital for reasons that were not allowed to be specified due to the DNA order already in place.

What does this mean exactly? It means that HIPAA was potentially violated in order for him to find out where I was. HIPAA stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act which –in short– means that patient information is not to be disclosed without the patient's consent.
Once I found out, I immediately called my close friend and asked how my dad found out where I was. He said that my dad went to the police and filed a missing person's report on me the day I came to the behavioral health hospital. The police refused to disclose where I was but said that I was "safe" and instead directed him to the assistant dean who in turn told him where I was. How she (the assistant dean) knew, I still don't know.

I was released from the hospital yesterday after being in treatment for an entire week (my 72 hour notice was rejected by my doctor due to my history). Throughout the duration of my stay, I was not suicidal yet despite not being in crisis, my antidepressant was increased by 25 milligrams. I was not being given my ADHD medication, my birth control patch, my IBS medication, nor any of the vitamins and supplements that I am required to take daily despite multiple requests for them to be given to me. Apparently, the ADHD medication would cause my depression to get worse and become more suicidal along with being a controlled substance with prior authorization required; a similar situation occurred with my IBS medication. However, I was refused to be given my birth control patch, vitamins, and supplements for the simple reason that the hospital's pharmacy did not carry them. Throughout my stay, my dietary needs were completely ignored and disregarded despite said needs being listed in my file/chart (I cannot consume animal products and byproducts due to health concerns). Along with all of this, my doctor insisted that I had bipolar disorder despite not being formally diagnosed.

Lastly, my mother (who has been all but removed from my life) found out about my hospitalization because the behavioral health hospital billed her insurance instead of my father's despite the fact that I provided the correct and up-to-date insurance information.

I'm still mentally recovering from what happened and I have to catch up on schoolwork that I missed because of this incident. I think and feel that I was wronged but I don't know for sure. So I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable than I would be able to tell me if I am justified in feeling this way or not.

I didn't want to ask Reddit about this because the users there are extremely hostile so I'm asking here instead.

L

Liamyzzuf

Feb 1, 2023
You trusted someone and they betrayed that trust by getting your rights taken away. As a result your privacy was disrespected and your needs were ignored.

Your feeling of being wronged is completely justified.

But understand that everyone involved is acting out of fear or according to their beliefs. Don't blame them. Don't hate them. But do what you need to do in order to protect yourself.

Y

Young.Werther

Student
Apr 11, 2023
I am NOT an expert so you should double check, but you should have FERPA rights that prevent the school admin from telling your parent (I think). As to what to do, I don't know … doing anything would probably require lawyers, which are expensive. The hospital/school has more monetary resources than you which doesn't help. If you decide to go for it, I hope you win. The system is awful.

More realistically, I think the takeaway is to not ever put yourself in a position where this could happen again. I know how much worse it is when you're in pain and there are no resources, but what I've come to realize is that the "help lines" are not really there to help.

(I'm also not sure that this is the best place to ask for legal advice; I don't think there are many lawyers here). Good luck whatever you decide!

Reactions: subhuman metalhead