• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Deleted member 13227

Deleted member 13227

Good night
Dec 21, 2019
Why is mindfulness so difficult but is sounds so simple? "Observe your thoughts, dont judge your thoughts or emotions, just be aware off the present moment etc." It sounds so easy but in practice I just get very anxious and my mind starts racing.
I have tried a lot of mindfulness exercises but it does me no good.

Do anyone have any tips?

M

Manja

Can't wait to die
Nov 27, 2019
They say the mind doesn't want to be observed, it will do everything to distract you, hence the racing...same here..it's either that or I suddenly start to have some pleasant and happy thoughts Wich is ridiculous bc normally it never happens...
I guess you should just continue observing the racing thing, I just get annoyed and bored and quit.

N

nonamegirl

Student
Jan 6, 2020
I found it very anxiety provoking too, plus I don't know how to have a thought with "grabbing onto it" and judging it. Like you say, on paper it sounds easy but it's actually DAMN hard to do it right and make it work.

You're litteraly trying to "undo" a lifetime of a habit, as most people are used to thoughts being something they judge. Or at least I think many of us on here are like that. NOT easy at all.

Last edited:
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I believe you have to learn to meditate before you can become mindful. It takes time.

Reactions: Epsilon0
N

nonamegirl

Student
Jan 6, 2020
I believe you have to learn to meditate before you can become mindful. It takes time.

What is the difference between meditation and being mindful? To me, they have been presented as the same thing.

Reactions: sleepy dog
DepressedAngel

DepressedAngel

Life is exhausting
Dec 4, 2019
I don't have any tips, I'm sorry! I just wanted to say I can relate and I can see from the other posts you are definitely not alone in that.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
What is the difference between meditation and being mindful? To me, they have been presented as the same thing.

Yes and no. I'm by no means a Zen master, but my personal experience is that by meditating you can learn to empty your mind and become mindful during meditation, and eventually you'll be able to empty your mind and be mindful in everyday life too.

• Love
Reactions: Quarky00
Jean4

Jean4

Remember. I am ALWAYS right.... until I’m not
Apr 28, 2019
Yes and no. I'm by no means a Zen master, but my personal experience is that by meditating you can learn to empty your mind and become mindful during meditation, and eventually you'll be able to empty your mind and be mindful in everyday life too.
37A52E6E D880 4A59 9312 83224E612A77

Reactions: Sensei
Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
Learning to drive a car takes hours as well. It's something you practice. Our mind is a hectic busy road, hard to 'sit calmly and watch it'.

I would not think of mindfulness as an "exercise". It has no goals. And little rules. I never felt I must observe (or avoid) something. Do it simple.

• I plug my headphones with my favorite music, nothing evocative, mellow and nice.
  • I also watch something nice: an object I like, a picture of a sunset, whatever.
    • Within 3 seconds, boom, my mind will drift away to my worries :) That's fine.
  • I continue by breathing – nothing special or deep.
  • I also watch a timer. Just a regular stopwatch. The numbers are running, it is a bit hypnotizing. It distracts my attention.
  • I go back and forth between the music, the breathing, the "sunset", the timer. Those are your normal grounding-distracting techniques.
  • I start paying more attention to my body. Am I comfortable? Where do I feel discomfort? Where is there actual pain? Do I have some back pain? Am I tired?
    • Oh, well, pain. All my anxiety returns ;) That's fine.
  • I start paying more attention to my breathing. I feel the air in my nostrils. Is it cold / hot / dry / smelly ? I feel my body rising and falling.
    • This is boring and I feel tired and frustrated by this shit – I wish the universe would burn!!! :) That's fine.

That's it. Go back and forth.

You should have some anchor points to ground you. There are no rules. You don't need to "watch" anything. You can judge yourself. You can get angry and anxious. Just don't spiral into anxiety too much – go back to your anchor points.

Last edited:
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
Why is mindfulness so difficult but is sounds so simple? "Observe your thoughts, dont judge your thoughts or emotions, just be aware off the present moment etc." It sounds so easy but in practice I just get very anxious and my mind starts racing.

Do anyone have any tips?

Maybe then it is simply the wrong kind for you. We are not all the same. I never got on with it either despite earnestly trying. One size fits all only works for elasticated socks. I did however get on with a different technique. Although it is not mindfulness but it is still meditation. If it is specifically mindfulness you wan't and it is causing frustration all you can do is keep practicing but not try and measure if you are being successful or not. Just trying is you being successful don't lose sight of that because of frustration.

Mindfulness is pretty much the same but it has stripped out the spirituality element that often accompanies meditation. So Psychology basically hijacked Buddhist techniques. Probably because meditation has such profound positive effects vs stress. But spirituality itself can be divisive so they got rid of all the extra trappings to bring it to a wider user base.

Reactions: Sensei
chris8000

chris8000

Experienced
Dec 10, 2019
Mindfulness and meditation can be used interchangably. Because you use your awareness when meditating and developing concentration.

Here's some tips, I recommend finding a good teacher though, even if it is just through youtube or a book or something. For example 'mindfulness in plain english' is a good book.

1. Do a sitting practice every day for a fixed time e.g. 30 minutes or something, better to do it twice a day
2. Don't worry about making 'progress' just keeping coming back to observing, and the results will manifest
3. See if you can bring the attitude of observing sensation, thoughts, to every day activities, like washing up etc
4. Try to stay with an object, like the breath, or if not sitting, then sensation of feet touching ground or some part of the body, the body is good to come back to

It's difficult because the mind is used to wandering off all the time, if you keep gently bringing it back, it does get easier because you are retraining it. Like anything worthwhile in life it does take time, patience, and effort. And yeah it isn't suited to some people for various reasons.

Troubleshooting

So if when you sit down to meditate your breath is short and you feel your developing anxiety around it, you can do the following.

1. Lengthen the breath by using mental counting, so I used to count, 1 to 9 as you are inhaling, then 9 to 1 as you are exhaling
2. Then since this is a very long breath, after a while, drop down to counting 1 to 6 on the inhale then 6 to 1 on the exhale, this is a long breath
3. When you are ready, stop the mental counting, and just observe the sensation of the natural breath

These steps can really help calm things down to allow better meditation. When your breathing is long you feel calmer I find.

Another option is using a mantra instead to focus the mind, it is just a word you repeat in your head. Same as the breath, if your mind wanders away from the word, just gently notice and bring it back. Then you can go back to the breath after a while.

Last edited:
sleepy dog

sleepy dog

Wizard
Sep 13, 2019
Do it simple.

.....long list of things to do.....

LOL, :haha:

Do anyone have any tips?
Try chanting, or a constant humming. Maybe listen to Buddhist chanting on Youtube.

Closed eyes, controlled breathing, chanting.
Accept your thoughts.
Keep doing that, on and on.
See if it works for you.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Quarky00 and Sensei
Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
:pfff:

Ok, simplified:
1. Put nice music and look at something nice (nothing evocative)
2. Pay attention to sensations of breathing/body
3. Thoughts come and go – return your focus to stimuli (music, visual, body, breathing)

Reactions: sleepy dog
Little Mook

Little Mook

Oct 20, 2019
Meditating through and after yoga has helped me to take steps away from my thoughts.
Ive been trying to do the same as you on and off for eight months , and honestly, I think in a way it's only become easier because the thoughts aren't as powerful right now ‍♀️

Reactions: chris8000