O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
I came to bump this thread and 2 lain posters are not with us anymore. If you are dead, rest in peace. I'm sorry life is like this.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Alayna, Mr_House and Alcoholic Teletubby
Alayna

Alayna

Close
Oct 11, 2022
Rererewatching this to cope. Anyone else?

• Love
Reactions: Mr_House, Alcoholic Teletubby and avoid_slow_death
Alayna

Alayna

Close
Oct 11, 2022
Cross-posting a Lain I wrote a while back (in the form of a review), in order to try and get SaSuers into watching or talking about this damned show, then I'll stop spamming this thread k?

The 1998 anime 'Serial Experiments Lain' features suicide heavily (there are three in the first two episodes), and is absolute psychosis catnip. It was the first media I consumed that really nailed that intuitive sense of "existence is not normal, there's something really fucky here". It's an existential drama hammed up as a creepy internet horror, and even if you're not normally a fan of anime, consider compromising your principles, seriously. Its slow moving, artsy direction might be a turnoff, but unless that's an absolute deal breaker, you'll be rewarded for your patience. Peace out all, and let's love 'Lain'.

----------------------------------------

A Critical Lain

Frustratingly padded and cryptic presentation masks this show's sublime cerebral, aesthetic and ethical interior.

So here's the classic play: 'Serial Experiments Lain' could justifiably be called pretentious, and that isn't entirely unfair. However, it would be more accurate to describe its core weakness as deliberate obscurity, because it has genuine depth, and plenty of it. The chief problem, in this regard, is how it conveys its ideas. To unravel the themes and story demands multiple viewings — which is not necessarily a fault. But it often feels as though writer Chiaki Konaka (author of 'Ghost Hound' amongst others) has gone out of his way to present it as impenetrably as possible. And while stunning, director Ryutaro Nakamura's bleak and lengthy tableaux do little to clear up the stubborn ambiguity.

Take for example when, during one of the most crucial conversations in the entire intricate story, two of the characters inexplicably swap voices. This is confusing and like reduces the impact of a climactic scene? While we can speculate as to the m̶̢̞̘͚̫̭̮̗̖̣͙̟̓͑̈̄̔̅̍͂̂̎̚͝͠ę̵̢͙̻̘̞͔̗̳͖̟̦̮̋̕͝͝a̴̡̛͍͉͔̦͙̓̔̋́̐̓̊͛̐͠n̵̠̱͋͗̀͗̌͑͘i̸̖̊̊̎̄͐͆͝͝n̵͔̘͔̬͉͓̍ͅg̴̯̥̬̭̹̪̗͍̹̙̈́̽͐̃͑̈͝͝ behind this decision, it ultimately feels like a smug prank at the expense of a casual viewer. "Nudge nudge, see what I did there, clever right?" This sort of behaviour is not to 'Lain's' credit.

The series' second key problem is pacing. The main story only really gets going halfway in, and before that is riddled with subplots that don't really add all that much (looking at you, KIDS and PHANTOMa). If you can hold through to the midpoint of episode seven, the pace picks up dramatically. But once again the series' hostility towards a first time viewer is disappointing.

Ok, all this in mind, what does 'Lain' have going for it? Isn't this supposed to be a rave of Cyberian proportions? Where's the hype?

First off, 'Lain' is simply PROPHETIC in its themes. You've probably heard this before, so I'll gloss over it. It explores or suggests topics such as internet addiction, suicide mental illness, underage sexualisation, celebrity culture, fake news, digital narcissism, mind uploading and plenty of other transhumanist bs... And in case you need any reminding, this is a show from 1998 — more than three years before the original iPod released. That 'Lain' was ahead of its time is indisputable. You'll hear "Present Day" a lot, but see it even more.

These meaty topics — ethical and cerebral — underpin Lain's stellar character development. She's the only person given a significant interior, but that interior is so deeply explored (without ever being exhausted) that it hardly matters. Avoiding giving away too much: she starts off shy and listless, and emerges steadily (although definitely NOT linearly) into a confident and powerful being capable of — well, watch and see! Such strong characterisation is rare; in a thirteen episode anime-of-ideas it's all but unheard of.

The two-dimensionality of the supporting characters isn't even such a structural problem since it reinforces the show's rather solipsistic method. 'Lain' wants you to dive into a mind struggling with disconnection and alienation, and the fact that those around her are inconsistent and often unsubtle reinforces that immersion. You're trapped inside her lonely reality.

That's not to say that the show lacks moments of genuine emotion and warmth. Whether it's atop a rooftop, bed, or floating chair, every time Lain truly connects with someone we see how positively overwhelming the intimacy is for her. It's touching. But these scenes are few, far between, and fleeting. If you're looking for something more consistently charming, this is not your anime.

To think a bit about the art and direction: I feel that 'Lain' is gorgeously designed though it's quite YMMV. Initially sparse without being inviting. over the course of the show the drab real world clutters without becoming appealing. In contrast, The Wired (the show's cyberspace) glitters and whirs cryptically as it expands across Lain's psyche. The tone differences in the art make it easy to see why so many characters compulsively prefer it.

The sequencing is often lethargic, and the camera absolutely obsessed with Lain (gaze is a recurring theme — to the point of exploitation). There are moments when characters' faces are not quite proportional, and Lain's spacey eyes can take a bit of getting used to. But in general, the unorthodox staging supports the disintegration of the main character excellently.

Lain disses one of the entities she encounters as "more noise than signal". This might seem an appropriate description for the show itself. But the more you tune in, the more powerful the signal becomes and the more urgent, the more relevant. It's up to you if — and how — you listen. I hope you try: in my opinion, the character insights and thematic clout of 'Serial Experiments Lain' are well worth all the infuriating static.

Overall: A masterpiece of our time, and of every time in which humans stare at their hands and wonder where all that energy goes.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr_House
Alcoholic Teletubby

Alcoholic Teletubby

Rip in piss
Jan 10, 2022
Finally, a thread I can get behind.

Let's all love Lain!

Alayna

Alayna

Close
Oct 11, 2022

"There is only one truth. God."
"Yes. Me."

Just the regular Schumann Resonance chills

Reactions: lowres and Mr_House
Mr_House

Mr_House

Black Mesa Research Facility (B.M.R.F.)
Jul 14, 2022
  • Yay!
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: Alcoholic Teletubby, actual_fox and Alayna
Rocinante

Rocinante

My name is Lucifer, please take my hand
Aug 26, 2022
Classic series

leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
I prefer the game to the anime, to be honest.