Rocket

Rocket

Oct 12, 2022
Here's the latest on KL. Lots of new information including his age (57) and "will remain in custody until his next appearance on May 9". It's a tragedy all around.

KL Zoom

Ontario man charged in alleged sale of substance linked to 2 Peel deaths, international probe continues
Muriel Draaisma, Thomas Daigle · CBC News · Posted: May 02, 2023 7:14 PM EDT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

A man allegedly behind the online sale of a lethal substance linked to deaths abroad has been arrested and charged after the deaths of two adults in Peel Region, police say. Kenneth Law, 57, has been charged with two counts of counselling or aiding suicide, Peel Regional Police said in a news release on Tuesday evening. "It is believed that the suspect distributed and marketed the substance online to target individuals at risk of self-harm," police said in the release.

Law appeared in a Brampton court Wednesday and will remain in custody until his next appearance on May 9, when the Crown's request for a bail hearing will be addressed. Police say some 1,200 packages believed to be linked to the companies associated with Law have been shipped to over 40 countries, however it's unknown exactly how many of them contained the substance sodium nitrite.

The charges against Law follow a month-long investigation that began on March 31 after a sudden death in which the victim was suspected of consuming sodium nitrite, police said. The substance was believed to be to have been purchased by an online company owned by Law. Sodium nitrite is a salt compound or food additive that is commonly used to cure meats. But the white, crystalline substance can be lethal when ingested in high concentrations, according to toxicology experts. Peel Deputy Police Chief Marc Andrews told reporters that further investigation revealed that Law was allegedly linked to additional companies, including Imtime Cuisine, AmbuCA, Academic/ACademic, Escape Mode/escMode and ICemac.

Andrews urged the public to contact police immediately if they know someone who has received a package from any of these companies. "The mental health and well-being of our communities is our main priority. As such, we will not tolerate criminal actions by those who prey on vulnerable individuals in our community," Andrews said. Peel police say they are working with other police forces across Ontario, nationally and internationally, because they believe there could be more victims. "It's been a really hard slog," Andrews said. "Our investigators have done a lot of legwork." In late April, Peel police confirmed they were investigating after The Times of London reported a Mississauga, Ont., man named Kenneth Law had allegedly been selling a potentially lethal, but legal, substance online to people overseas looking to end their lives. Reached by phone at the time, Law told CBC News the allegations in the article were "false."

Law's charges came after families in the U.K. found loved ones had ordered sodium nitrate online and traced the website to the Greater Toronto Area. Lee Cooper, a man from Warrington, England, told CBC News Wednesday that his 41-year-old brother Gary was found dead last July. Cooper said British police told his family that his brother had consumed sodium nitrite that was mailed from Canada. Cooper said the work of police in Canada has been "fantastic," but he wishes Law was apprehended sooner. "There's a lot of thoughts, a lot of emotions, but I'm just glad that, although this took a long time, I'm glad it's finally happening," he said. Cooper said his brother was "brilliant," but also had some struggles. "He was getting help. He was slowly but surely getting there and unfortunately he found this website, this forum before he could get better, so he didn't get a chance to heal."

Families of victims of sodium nitrite poisoning have also been calling for an online suicide message board where users have chatted about websites connected to Law to be shut down, according to posts viewed by CBC News. CBC is not naming the message board due to its sensitive nature. In recent days, several message board users who said they'd ordered products from Law's websites reported receiving phone calls or in-person wellness checks from local police. The users posted about being located in several countries, including Canada, the U.S., Britain, France, Finland and Japan.

Peel Regional Police Const. Sarah Patten told CBC Wednesday that safety is the force's number one priority. "If we receive information about a potential victim outside of our jurisdiction, our Investigators will communicate with outside police agencies to check on the person's well-being," she said. She reiterated Peel investigators are working with counterparts "across Ontario, nationally and internationally, as we believe there could be more victims."

Peel Police's investigation appears to have involved law enforcement in Britain. A spokesperson for Britain's National Crime Agency told CBC News late last week, "We are in contact with our Canadian counterparts regarding this matter and liaising with local police as appropriate." The FBI declined to comment on any potential involvement in the Ontario investigation "as a matter of longstanding policy." CBC has seen images of the packets of sodium nitrite sold on the website connected to Law. They list the product as being "99.999% pure" but "food grade." While sodium nitrite is commonly used in food preparation, including for cured meats, Greg Blonder, a Boston University visiting scholar in engineering, said in an email that "typical culinary application levels" are much lower, "at the 100 parts per million level." Online, including on the now defunct website selling sodium nitrite, Law used the "PEng" abbreviation, suggesting a professional engineering designation. The licensing and regulating body Professional Engineers Ontario, however, told CBC News that Law is considered "not permitted to practise" as he has paid reduced fees to the organization since 2012.

ANONYMOUS URL: https://dereferer.me/?https://www.c...neth-law-peel-police-sodium-nitrite-1.6830156

Buying and having this legal product in most countries is NOT criminal.

• Informative
Reactions: CentreMid, FuneralGrey and pthnrdnojvsc
unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
This is so depressing. No volition and there is not a future to seek.
Such asinine individuals. Do they really think this is going to halt suicides? This is not a victory, it is a loss; unheralded unforeseen.

• Love
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra and Rogue Proxy
LateForTheBus

LateForTheBus

Experienced
Feb 7, 2023
Rain, thank you for all you do. I've looked around and can't find an answer, many people have brought it up. Why is this forum public instead of just for registered users? There are people with just a few followers on social media posting screenshots and making trouble. Is it just too much work for it to be private? The other forums seem fine public, but people are sharing really personal things and it feels like a door is open. Of course, totally respect any decisions that have been made, just respectfully wondered why.
I asked this recently, too, and didn't get an answer. But I know Rain has a ton of work on her plate modding this site, so I've been hoping she would just get to the question when she had time.

Reactions: Sweet Tart and Rocket
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
It's very simple. Because we don't sell anything. I already explained a while ago why this forum isn't illegal in this thread:
Then it's as I said, providing information doesn't rise to the level of assisting in suicide.

Last edited:
F

FireWalkWithMe

Experienced
Jun 18, 2022
Sadly he kinda got what was coming to him. It's kind of bittersweet because I do appreciate the product I received from him.

But at the same time it's not his place to be consulting and I believe he was reckless with who he was selling to initially. Remember, he sold this product without even the asking of ID for well over a year. That is unacceptable to me because you simply have to know you are not selling this product to minors.

• Hmph!
Reactions: Flameboyant, Yavannah, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 5 others
Pidgeons_Sparrows

Pidgeons_Sparrows

-flying rat
Apr 16, 2023
Please answer this.
How are they profiting off a disabled wretched in pain me who is worth absolutely nothing and has nothing?
How?
Each suicide costs the US government about 1$ million in losses

an example would be the lost potential tax revenue

Reactions: doneWithThisSh1t and Rogue Proxy
unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
Each suicide costs the US government about 1$ million in losses

an example would be the lost potential tax revenue
Potential?
My suicide costs them something, never mind 1 million? How? I don't even get disability despite being disabled.
How am I a profit to them? There is no reason I should even be a passing thought to any of them.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Please answer this.
How are they profiting off a disabled wretched in pain me who is worth absolutely nothing and has nothing?
How?
I've wondered this before but as other people have pointed out- we are all part of a bigger system. People not paying in still use services- they create the need for jobs. Plus- we all buy stuff- we're all consumers- everything has VAT on.

From a moral perspective- governments can also boast about what they're doing to support 'the unfortunate'. (Even if they don't.) It probably wins more votes to say- we are putting all this money in healthcare and social services- rather than- we're going to set up euthansia clinics to dispose of the most needy people in our society.

This whole society is pro-life- it likes to THINK that it looks after everyone and everyone gets a reasonable standard of life- it doesn't want to face it that some people would prefer to be dead. The majority of people likely prefer governments that hold the same sentiments perhaps.

Reactions: Rogue Proxy and NearlyIrrelevantCake
SexyIncél

SexyIncél

🍭my lollipop brings the feminists to my candyshop
Aug 16, 2022
How to support him, and support/protect helpful people like him?

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
F

FuneralGrey

Oct 12, 2022
Reactions: wljourney
J

Jadzia

Name is from Star Trek. I'm not from E. Europe
May 8, 2019
He was careless by giving advice. He should have just stuck to just selling it. I assumed he used a fake name but obviously not. I had a welfare check by phone.

Reactions: MidnightTrain and NearlyIrrelevantCake
T

tropicalrain

Apr 9, 2023
There are other places to buy SN, right? He wasn't the only source?

novem

novem

Experienced
May 9, 2022
Please answer this.
How?
Someone else is paying for you, and they are taking interest in it as an intermediary, similar to how MasterCard/Visa, they don't care whether you are disabled or healthy, they get their 3-5% on each transaction regardless.
Here's the latest on KL. Lots of new information including his age (57) and "will remain in custody until his next appearance on May 9". It's a tragedy all around.

View attachment 110043

ANONYMOUS URL: https://dereferer.me/?https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/kenneth-law-peel-police-sodium-nitrite-1.6830156

Buying and having this legal product in most countries is NOT criminal.
"""marketed the substance online to target individuals"""
What do they think they are to make such assumptions!
The supply is less than the demand there is no fkn need in marketing or targeting! Bunch of arseholes.

Last edited:
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
Someone else is paying for you, and they are taking interest in it as an intermediary, similar to how MasterCard/Visa, they don't care whether you are disabled or healthy, they get their 3-5% on each
Who is paying me? Nobody is.

F

FuneralGrey

Oct 12, 2022
New "PSA" from police. So sick of this.

Reactions: jaxxon_sunn
Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
From the article:

"Kenneth Law, 57, has been charged with two counts of counselling or aiding suicide, Peel Regional Police said in a news release on Tuesday evening."

I'm not Canadian, can someone please explain the seriousness of these charges and possible consequences? I feel stupid for asking, but I did not know sharing information on a legal product could be a crime (even if is in conjunction with the sale of that product to someone known to be planning to use it in an illicit way).

L

lyk0s002

Jun 14, 2023
From the article:

"Kenneth Law, 57, has been charged with two counts of counselling or aiding suicide, Peel Regional Police said in a news release on Tuesday evening."

I'm not Canadian, can someone please explain the seriousness of these charges and possible consequences? I feel stupid for asking, but I did not know sharing information on a legal product could be a crime (even if is in conjunction with the sale of that product to someone known to be planning to use it in an illicit way).

Looks like 14 years per charge is the maximum.

With how many packages he sent out and different countries effected I expect more then a slap on the wrist. LE seems to be asking everyone for info so I think they are trying to build a bigger case.

• Informative
Reactions: NearlyIrrelevantCake and Sweet Tart
Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
Looks like 14 years per charge is the maximum.

With how many packages he sent out and different countries effected I expect more then a slap on the wrist. LE seems to be asking everyone for info so I think they are trying to build a bigger case.
Tysm. This sucks. A society ensuring suicidal people can only access the most violent and/or physically difficult methods to end their suffering is so much more brutal than a person who gives people the option to have a peaceful death.

Reactions: WaitingToGo
NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
From the article:

He gave undercover reporters, who said they were suicidal, detailed instructions on how to use SN to CTB.

Whether I agree with the law or not, he is legally fucked. It's been recorded, there's no doubt that he did it and anyone who thinks these reporters were the first people he gave that information to is an idiot.

Reactions: lyk0s002 and katagiri83