N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Yesterday I did not write any posts. I am exhausted as fuck and I slept more than 10 hours.

I had a crush on a transwoman at my college. This is why I read more articles on this community. She considers me insane and probably sort of delusional and pathetic. I try to move on. However I was never really sure whether I could have coped with the hatred one has to face in public places if I was together with her. I read more and more on queer people for example them getting assaulted simply for holding hands in public. I mean I cannot even wear a covid mask after the pandemic in public transport without getting paranoid. I think I would not have the strength to deal with all the hatred they have to face. There is a lot of judgment and the gazes one has to endure are probably sort of hellish. No wonder the suicide rate among trans people is so high. I would be curious whether my crush had suicidal thoughts she knows I have a condition. I had the feeling she might suspect some suicidal ideation in me though this is pure speculation.

Some years ago I debated a friend of mine who was very into the topic. I was influenced by Slavoj Ziziek and a little bit Jordan Peterson (but I think now he is very very extreme on that topic). I argued there is a lot of progress for people from the community. When we look at history it was way worse centuries or decades ago to be trans. I am not sure whether this is still true. The culture war is simply insane. In the US it is even worse than in my country but the atmosphere adapts more and more to this development. I cannot really understand why people get so fucking emotional about it when their lives are barely afffected by it. The culture war reached an insane and ridiculously big focus. There are so many topics where the attention could make a change. It is such a waste of time. The right and the media are so fucking obsessed by it. Who really wants to consume all of that Ben Shapiro, Matt Walsh content? Indeed many people. It is way easier to make money if one joins rightwing independent media. I think many of them just lie to get the attention and money they crave for.

I had this naive notion that eventually reason will win that debate. I did not fully lose that hope. My theory was there were always countermovements to new movements. And usually the progressives win that fight. Though I have more and more the feeling the 1920's and 2020's could have some connections. The rise of right-wing extreme parties becomes really scary. I often read a right-wing newspaper which contradicts my personal views because I want to stay open-minded. Though the sheer mass of articles they spend on the culture war is insane. They remain a little bit of respect and deceny. They don't spread direct hatred against any group. But the implications are obivous and in the comment section one can read who should be adressed with these articles.

I am kind of scared how politics is changing in my country. The right-wing extreme party is in some polls 4% away from being the most popular party. And Germany still has a lot of wealth to lose. The panic could become way worse. It is a frighening experience. To the core questions. I think some people become more aware of the struggle that comes along with being member of the LGBTQI+ movement and more people have the courage to talk about their own identity. Some people might become more tolerant. I think I could imagine (I am not sure whether this is factually true) more and more people feel like members of that community. Though the difference is not that huge as often suggested. On the other hand the hatred that I read targeted on members of that community is insane. Many commit suicide. And I am not surprised by that. Many parts of the society become very emotional on that issue. And I don't really understand why.

I have not definitive answer to the question. Maybe people who are affected by it can give a more insightful answer to the question than me.

Last edited: