• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

V

Virgo

Arcanist
Oct 3, 2018
Sentience is the capacity to feel, perceive or experience subjectively.
We all think we are sentient, but how can we know if we actually are?
Ultimately our thoughts on our sentience are irrelevant and we have no way of knowing if we are actually sentient or not.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, Deafsn0w, lv-gras and 7 others
Circles

Circles

There's a difference between existing and living.
Sep 3, 2018
Ultimately our thoughts on our sentience are irrelevant and we have no way of knowing if we are actually sentient or not.

Well in a small way we are. Atleast to the extent of asking the questions but not able to accept the answers. We atleast our able to 'know' that something is up but whatever that is we'll never know. It's an infinite regress of questioning the how's and why's. But at this point I really can't entertain such thoughts anymore because they are so unsolvable that it really is pathetically irrelevant. All I want is my sentience to just stop.

Reactions: Discarded, Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 7 others
M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018

Exsitence makes absolutely no sense. Evreything is just here and their are no good or even plausible explanations. We are a mixture of trillions of microscopic cells that give up the illusion of being sentient.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and 6 others
agreement

agreement

Mage
Mar 26, 2018
Exsitence makes absolutely no sense. Evreything is just here and their are no good or even plausible explanations. We are a mixture of trillions of microscopic cells that give up the illusion of being sentient.
And cells are a mixture or trillions of atoms and so on ...

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and 3 others
M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018
And cells are a mixture or trillions of atoms and so on ...

And even atleast almost are the molecules in our brain and body are replaced many times through out life spans-Which seems to mean we have died many times but are not aware of it ie if evrey molecule in your hand is replaced by similar molecules it's not your hand anymore it's a close copy.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and 3 others
onewayroad

onewayroad

“Dying is not a crime.” ― Jack Kevorkian
Oct 4, 2018
And even atleast almost are the molecules in our brain and body are replaced many times through out life spans-Which seems to mean we have died many times but are not aware of it ie if evrey molecule in your hand is replaced by similar molecules it's not your hand anymore it's a close copy.

The cells in your brain are amitotic - they have differentiated and cannot re-enter the cell cycle to undergo mitosis. So the cells you have in your brain are not replaced during your lifetime.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and 1 other person
M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018
The cells in your brain are amitotic - they have differentiated and cannot re-enter the cell cycle to undergo mitosis. So the cells you have in your brain are not replaced during your lifetime.

My understanding of it, is at the molecule level atleast most of them aren't replaced.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and 1 other person
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
I'm pretty sure I am sentient.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Yuffe and 2 others
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I am sentient, but according to the universe, I'm just a complex amalgamation of molecules and organic matter that transfers energy as well as a series of chemical reactions.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, agreement and 3 others
Rollo

Rollo

No pasaran
Aug 13, 2018

We have the most direct way of knowing it. It's our experience. You saw keyboard, saw the website, made this thread and now reading my response. Why doubt the obvious?

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Deafsn0w
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
I don't care what they call it. I just know it hurts.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, agreement and 2 others
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
I am sentient, but according to the universe, I'm just a complex amalgamation of molecules and organic matter that transfers energy as well as a series of chemical reactions.
Aye but the universe doesn't say that complex systems can't have incredible effects such as consciousness, living organisms, etc.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Virgo
V

Virgo

Arcanist
Oct 3, 2018
We have the most direct way of knowing it. It's our experience. You saw keyboard, saw the website, made this thread and now reading my response. Why doubt the obvious?
None of which is evidence for sentience.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Rollo

Rollo

No pasaran
Aug 13, 2018
None of which is evidence for sentience.

All of it IS sentience. You need evidence for something only when this something is not experienced by you. Like if you didn't see something taking place then you need evidence in order to reasonably believe that it took place. But if you actually saw it taking place - what evidence are you talking about? You saw it.

V

Virgo

Arcanist
Oct 3, 2018
All of it IS sentience. You need evidence for something only when this something is not experienced by you. Like if you didn't see something taking place then you need evidence in order to reasonably believe that it took place. But if you actually saw it taking place - what evidence are you talking about? You saw it.
There is a difference between what you are talking about and sentience(Actually feeling emotions that we can't explain)

Rollo

Rollo

No pasaran
Aug 13, 2018
There is a difference between what you are talking about and sentience(Actually feeling emotions that we can't explain)

Well whatever you mean by "emotions that we can't explain" it wasn't the definition of sentience you provided in your op, which is basically - being capable of actually feeling anything. And it's this that I'm talking about.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, Virgo and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
V

Virgo

Arcanist
Oct 3, 2018
Well whatever you mean by "emotions that we can't explain" it wasn't the definition of sentience you provided in your op, which is basically - being capable of actually feeling anything. And it's this that I'm talking about.
True, I'm referring to feeling and your talking about processing.

Rollo

Rollo

No pasaran
Aug 13, 2018
True, I'm referring to feeling and your talking about processing.

I'm referring to feeling too. Feeling of sight. Processing is but perception. You're seeing colors and perceiving or processing them as language with meaning.