• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

angeldevil

angeldevil

angel kinnie
Feb 26, 2023
i'm trying recover and get better but no coping mechanisms helps me. i hate the pain of making my wrists bleed and age regressing doesn't just work anymore (prob because my mental health's too bad for it). i started to think would smoking or vaping actually make me feel better, especially since my two friends have been begging me to try it for a long time but i've never actually even tried once. but if it really helps I'd be down for it because even a few minutes of feeling better would change a lot. so I'd appreciate other people's experiences about smoking!:D

U

Unending

-
Nov 5, 2022
i don't personally think it's worth it. It doesn't seem to make me feel relief generally and I have trouble going more than an hour tops without nicotine unless I'm asleep. It has it's moments where I enjoy it but there is that fact that I have to smoke or vape whether I enjoy it or not now lol. Addiction is too hard to beat in this area for me.

Ruma

Ruma

Experienced
Dec 26, 2021
I've smoked since I was 15, ( I'm now 47) id say it's not worth it,there's the cost for one-(in the uk) cigarettes are not cheap,and two-they cause cancer. I want to die,but not of cancer,it's a slow and painful death.I wish I'd never of started,but I'm well and truly addicted.

Venus13

Venus13

-
Oct 2, 2022
I've smoked since I was 15, ( I'm now 47) id say it's not worth it,there's the cost for one-(in the uk) cigarettes are not cheap,and two-they cause cancer. I want to die,but not of cancer,it's a slow and painful death.I wish I'd never of started,but I'm well and truly addicted.
Wellbutrin helped me quit. I smoked for 10 years. It just removed the cravings for me.

The answer is no. It's a waste of money, makes you smell, ruins your body in only unappealing ways. The cons far exceed the pros. Your friends aren't thinking straight trying to pull you into a harsh habit.

listless

listless

wandering
Mar 1, 2023
if you're talkin bout smoking weed, i think its 100% worth a try, it has helped me a lot when ive been in bad episodes, to make me think about my situation from a fresh perspective. nicotine on the other hand, id say just as if not more destructive long term than cutting, kind of loses its fun very quickly and just becomes an expensive chore. i smoke both daily. just my 2 cents.

mcrmybeloved

mcrmybeloved

Feb 28, 2023
as someone who started smoking for the same reason I don't think is the best option, same as vaping I find it really anxiety inducing it may just be me but yeah, either way if you do it I recommend not vaping people say its better but there aren't really studies on the long term efects on your body, and for cigs you at least now what may happen to your body and you'll be more aware. Maybe you can try nicotine patches, I haven't try them myself but sound like a better option.

Next-to-Nil

Next-to-Nil

Begrudgingly Everlasting
Mar 2, 2023
Been a smoker for 14 years. For me; it feels like micro-dosing death and lessens the intensity of my emotions, but it's also given me a pretty nasty cough that crawls in whenever its humid and my voice is a bit deeper than I would like for a girl in her 20s... Its also a lot of maintenance, whitening, working out, etc. to not... you know... look like someone who's been smoking for 14 years.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I smoke pipes, you don't inhale the pipe smoke. One bowl, or less, and that nicotine will definitely be hitting (goes in through the gums or something). I always prefer to have eaten something big before a bowl. Take ya anywheres from 30 min to 1h 30 min, depending on cadence, bowl size, and packing. You get a lil increased mortality from the mouth cancers and whatnot, dental health (which is important) takes a hit. Should be able to mitigate that to some extent (I don't really bother since the dentist said my saliva was good or something, but I've been getting a little yellow I think).

When I smoked my latest (and by far best) pipe, for the first time, I think I broke through the anhedonia. And the weather conditions weren't even optimal. But, hedonic treadmill and all that. Still, pipe smoking is something I try to get in every day; the activity + nicotine are my main motivations, but for many (that don't have my shit sense of taste and smell) flavor is the big thing. For me personally it's worth the increased risk of cancers (or whatever), at present.

Anyway, pipe smoking can get a little pricey (a good briar pipe is like 150 U.S dollars, but should last a lifetime [meaning, it's actually not that expensive]), tobacco prices can be straight up insane due to taxes. It's also not just a matter of touching the leaf with some fire and then smoking, it requires some amount of learning at the beginning.

To address the main underlying point, tho, I don't see how smoking anything will really help you that much. But, if it is like you say and just a little boost would actually help you then I don't see how it's that bad compared to other forms of self-harm or cigarettes. I also believe it would be far easier to quit smoking a pipe than it would be to quit cigarettes. Anyway, for recovery people are usually talking about things like exercise, diet, socialization, therapy, study, work, meditation, medication, etc.

Last edited:
Nohw

Nohw

exitus acta probat
Feb 24, 2023
Depends on what you're smoking, if you're talking about cigarettes, no, it isn't worth it at all. I was a nicotine addict (well, still am) and even though I've trying for months to get rid of it, it never really goes away, besides all the cons you've probably heard about.
But if you're talking about weed, yes, go for it, just keep in mind that it can cause dependency.

Also, cigs don't really help with anxiety or anything else (in fact can worsen it, happened with me), the good feeling you feel after smoking is just your abstinence going away, that's how cigarettes work.

AhmedAlRazek

AhmedAlRazek

Mar 3, 2023
Yes smoking cigars is cool because the taste is nice and it makes me look like mafia boss

Influencer Entrepreneur GIF by JetSet (Josh King Madrid)

pizzafiend

pizzafiend

Feb 4, 2023
Pros of smoking - You might look pretty cool doing it, lowered anxiety, some jobs let you take a short break

Cons of smoking - You stink, your clothes stink, your breath stinks, you're constantly out of breath, it's expensive, constant headaches, increased anxiety when you haven't smoked in a while, risk of lung cancer/lung disease, weaker immune system, incredibly difficult to quit, and many many more I haven't listed

I smoked not very heavily for about 3 and a half years and it was a huge undertaking for me to quit. I can't recommend anyone do it.

LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
I switched to vaping 12yrs ago and prefer the sub ohm vaping style, l occasionally vape CBD e liquid but mostly buy 100ml Shortfill 70/30vg-pg and add 6mg of nic shots/2x18mg.

GlitterAndBlood

GlitterAndBlood

Feb 27, 2023
I'd say vaping would be the better choice.
I used to smoke and then changed to vaping. After that I started using nicotine pouches (not every country has them, though). I often overthink my health and because of my extreme anxiety I'd never smoke again. I also experience more anxiety when I don't get the nicotine kick for some time, so that is something to keep in mind. Nicotine is very addictive and the best thing possible is to not get hooked on it, haha. But it's easier said than done of course.

EndlessPhanpy

EndlessPhanpy

Mar 5, 2023
I did enjoy smoking cigarettes when I started as it gave me a reason to go outside and focus my attention away from other thoughts for a few minutes, there was also a feeling of satisfaction knowing I was destroying my body and bringing an early death.
Ultimately, I wouldn't say it was worth it though. I ended up getting addicted and that's stuck with me a long time. Even during periods where I have stopped smoking for a couple of years, I always had the urge to have a cig when I get too stressed or I'm around other smokers. As other people have mentioned in the thread, it's bad for your wallet, health, hygiene etc. I now usually only feel guilty about smoking and I only continue to do it to stop the negative feelings that come from addiction.

I can understand wanting to find better coping mechanisms, so if you're really wanting to try I would definitely recommend vaping over cigarettes as it's less damaging. Much better to just go outside and get some fresh air while smoking a pretend cig, though :).

wastingpotential

wastingpotential

drowning, always.
Feb 8, 2023
Coming from personal experience, I'd say it depends.
Cigarettes? not really. you can get a nic addiction as well as cancer.
Weed? yes. it can be calming but you can become dependent on it.

especially since my two friends have been begging me to try it for a long time but i've never actually even tried once.

This, though, strikes me a little bit as odd, i know it's not your question and I'm sorry to derail the subject, but anybody who tries to convince / beg others to start smoking or drinking, etc. rubs me in a wrong way.

Of course i don't know who your friends are and i can't judge them for trying to convince you to smoke, so maybe they are just trying to help you find a coping mechanism, but smoking definitely isn't a good one (especially if it's cigarettes)

Just wanted to say that incase you do really consider it, apologies if me mentioning the friends thing was bad or offends you, but yeah anything like smoking always has it's downsides so the question should really be up to you

T

treasurehunt

Feb 14, 2023
i'm trying recover and get better but no coping mechanisms helps me. i hate the pain of making my wrists bleed and age regressing doesn't just work anymore (prob because my mental health's too bad for it). i started to think would smoking or vaping actually make me feel better, especially since my two friends have been begging me to try it for a long time but i've never actually even tried once. but if it really helps I'd be down for it because even a few minutes of feeling better would change a lot. so I'd appreciate other people's experiences about smoking!:D
Honestly it feels good for the first 1-2 years when i smoke casually(max 3 per day). It really does take off the tension. But once it becomes a habit and you're addicted, it doesn't give the same effect anymore. You're just bound to smoke every few hours, become more restless and agitated. Not to mention the shortness of breath.

If you're strong willed and not eqsg to get addicted, go for it. But if i were you I'd take something else tbh.

Also your two friends are sorta weird for begging you to smoke. Hope you don't fall to peer pressure!

ryo the frog

ryo the frog

I'm in your house
Jun 27, 2022
I feel like this is a bad answer because that just sounds like a class A trip addiction, but I personally say yes. this week was the first time I ever smoked (weed) and I got hit with overwhelming euphoria. obviously it won't solve your problems but it's a good "for the moment" thing at least for me. and from what my "mentors" told me you can't get addicted to weed. I mean they've been smoking for years and aren't addicted but that may be due to the fact they're mentally well off. still I enjoyed it.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Warlock
Nov 13, 2021
Cigarettes or weed?

Cigarettes are a hard no. They're expensive. They smell awful, you get a nicotine addiction which is apparently super hard to break. You're gonna smell bad, your dental health will take a pretty large hit. You're at a hugely increased risk of cancer, and I've seen people with cancer. It ain't pretty, my grandma fought like hell to beat colon cancer only to get lung cancer due to smoking and welding for years and died of pneumonia. My mom's lung health is shitty, she smoked for decades, quit, and now only vapes but her lungs still haven't fully recovered.

Weed, it's still iffy. You can become overly dependent on it if you do it too much. It's also expensive, and illegal depending on where you are. If it's legal, give it a try. Just try not to become dependent, and know that it will limit job opportunities in terms of drug testing if you can't stop smoking for a bit or don't get it all out of your system. It smells bad but not as bad as cigarettes in my opinion. It still affects your lungs but not as bad as the thousands of chemicals in cigarettes. Edibles can defeat that though.

Sulyya

Sulyya

Synergist
Mar 6, 2023
I feel like I'm old enough that I would be ok to start cigarettes, except that one of the effects is apparently increased heart disease ,or damage to the heart somehow. Got enough problems there already. Don't like vapes or weed so no smoking for me I guess

shiroiuu

shiroiuu

Mar 11, 2023
The simple answer is no, end of the day it's a coping mechanism used to avoid the problem rather than going at it completely BUT that does mean I'm telling you to never do it or anything like that. It's simply not a worth investment, initially it'll be relaxing like all types of serotonin/dopamine-inducing substances but overtime it'll be lackluster and you'll be left at a potentially worse state than before. That is considering if you're willing to put in the effort to improve your life regardless of how you feel which I understand is tough since we are all human end of the day. Main point is to just keeping going with life and don't give into the peer pressure, if you feel like smoking just because other people are telling you to do so, then that's when it becomes a problem. You should be doing things of your own accord, not because of what others believe should be the cure to all your problems. Learn to spot that difference in the meantime. If you do end up smoking than I won't judge you for it, if you manage to make improvements with your life as you go on and end up being happier. That's completely fine as well. <333
The simple answer is no, end of the day it's a coping mechanism used to avoid the problem rather than going at it completely BUT that does mean I'm telling you to never do it or anything like that. It's simply not a worth investment, initially it'll be relaxing like all types of serotonin/dopamine-inducing substances but overtime it'll be lackluster and you'll be left at a potentially worse state than before. That is considering if you're willing to put in the effort to improve your life regardless of how you feel which I understand is tough since we are all human end of the day. Main point is to just keeping going with life and don't give into the peer pressure, if you feel like smoking just because other people are telling you to do so, then that's when it becomes a problem. You should be doing things of your own accord, not because of what others believe should be the cure to all your problems. Learn to spot that difference in the meantime. If you do end up smoking than I won't judge you for it, if you manage to make improvements with your life as you go on and end up being happier. That's completely fine as well. <333
doesn't mean*

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I am 67, reference related, and I have seen folks die from lung cancer from smoking. Yes, one can get cancer and not smoke, I had gall bladder cancer and I never smoked or drank or did street drugs, nothing, BUT to see someone strapped to a hospital bed gasping for breath while dying from lung cancer, and of course trying to say that they wished they never smoked, the answer to your question is NO.

Also, what others have mentioned, the cost. I live in the U.S. and a pack cost $9.00 U.s, dollars or a carton with tax is $90. YIKES!

Please do not do it.

Walter

Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
I'd say no to both. I'm assuming by being in the recovery section you don't have any immediate plans to CTB. The cost is not worth it. If in the US at least many places are non-smoking so if you really need one you're going outside. I used to get bronchitis every fall after smokng 10 years.

VisualSeppuku

VisualSeppuku

Settle down, ok?
Mar 6, 2023
I hate to be a necro but as someone who used to be very suicidal and still lives with lingering depression. I bought my first pack about 14 months ago. Didn't like them that much; Winfield Optimum Gold. In Australia it cost $38AUD (25USD) for the pack of 20. I kind of gave more than half of them away. I would buy a pack every 1 or 2 months and only smoke when 'the time felt right'. I ended up figuring out that disposable vapes were much cheaper, lasted longer and were easier to consume.
Well without all the bullshit in the middle, I was using cigarettes and vapes as a tool to keep me going through the days. It alerted my mind and kept me relaxed. Especially before I got re-diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed amphetamines. They helped.
Well fast forward to 2 months ago, I hadn't bought a pack of smokes for 2 months prior. I was mainly just vaping. I was forced to buy this pack from my girlfriend. Didn't like them at first but found at the end of the week that I smoked all 25 because my girlfriend forgot the pack in my car. Went cold turkey for 3 weeks until I found somewhere I could get cheap cigarettes while on holiday. Took 3 days to get used to cigarettes again. They would make me feel sick and gross. But before I knew it I was smoking 20 Camel yellows everyday. Have cut down a little because I back to working. But I am still smoking at least 10 per day.

I never thought I'd actually ever consider myself a smoker in my life. I never thought I could actually get so addicted, I underestimated nicotines ability to lock you in.
I admit, I fucking love cigarettes. Only 9 weeks ago I was going on about how stupid smoking is, how vaping should be allowed in Australia to help smokers. It took one pack and one week to change my mind completely. I remember I spent a week cleaning out my used car because the last owner smoked with the windows up. 3 years later and here I am smoking in my car (all windows down tho). I am always craving a cigarette and by the end of the day, I realise how many I smoked and I get shocked in some way. Nicotine is dangerously addictive, cigarettes really are full of carcinogenic chemicals used in manufacturing them.
In Australia we pay $38USD for a 20 pack of winfield blues. I personally pay $13USDea for my Dunhill Smooth 20s through duty free blackmarket.
Everything to do with smoking becomes part of the addiction and it becomes a very slippery slope of wanting more and more. I can chain smoke a whole pack and not feel sick. Better yet, as soon as I finish a cigarette, the high ends.
Being depressed is only going to make it 100 times worse because you'll use it as an excuse to keep smoking as I do. Than you start something that I call sook smoking. Sometimes when you smoke, depressive emotions hit you. So it kind of defeats the purpose.
I'm going to say no. I'd prefer you smoked weed like a rastafarian than smoke cigarettes. However it's your choice, just heed my words; Your first will never be your last, all it takes is one pack and you are already addicted before you know it.

PS: This discussion was posted on my birthday lol

• Aww..
Reactions: NumbItAll
sheepgirl

sheepgirl

-
Aug 11, 2018
Personally I'd say nah. I recently started vaping 0% nicotine and it definitely helps me with my eating disorder and when I get anxious. Long term I know it's not good for my lungs but I don't think I'll make it past 30 anyway

T

ThatStateOfMind

Warlock
Nov 13, 2021
Personally I'd say nah. I recently started vaping 0% nicotine and it definitely helps me with my eating disorder and when I get anxious. Long term I know it's not good for my lungs but I don't think I'll make it past 30 anyway
May I ask how 0% nicotine helps with anxiety and an ED? I tried 0% nicotine and I got bored of it and quit.

september

september

ă…¤
Apr 15, 2023
Personally I find Nicotine/weed to be comforting and have been a frequent user for a decade but I wouldn't recommend daily usage (especially Nicotine, which will most likely happen!) to anyone. Everyone has their own coping mechanisms and there are definitely better ways to go about it, difficult part is actually caring about that.

There are worse things out there. Cigs also smell gross and can make you feel gross after!

Reactions: Krieger