N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I met this insanely intelligent STEM professor in a clinic. This guy was extremely intelligent. The smartest person I have ever talked with. Many therapists consider me very intelligent and educated not him. He was very very down to earth. I slighlty define myself too much over intelligence due to bullying in school. He was not presumptuous at all. He was extremely humble and he reallly hated me. There were some misunderstandings I won't share the details but he was annoyed that I often used my intuition. (it was not exactly the intuition it was rather a specific pathology but I won't name it precisely).
He alluded I have a way too strong opinions and topics I don't know shit about. I think he considered me a wanna-be expert on anything just because I read some media articles about a topic. This was a shot at my self-esteem for sure.

I won't share more details I am too anxious. But now to the topic. I think in some instances he underestimated me. I did not open up about certain false assumptions he made because it felt too personal to open up about my suicidality.

So here is a thread about trusting one's intuiton and I think he might applied that theory on my behavior. I also knew the concept from that time but my behavior is in some instances just pathological.

I think one important contribution is from Economics noble prize winner Daniel Kahneman. He differentiates between fast and slow thinking. Fast thinking is too much filled with human biases which only slow thinking could potentially solve

Here is my thread to this specific theory of Kahneman.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...iel-kahneman-and-he-is-right-about-it.107356/

I am pretty quick in shooting back at someone because I am pretty articulate. Moreover I try to anticipate the answers of other people. And he hated that deeply. What is so wrong with that? Yeah it is only speculative and can be wrong. But it can also be quite useful. I think I developed that pathology when I was bullied in order to anticipate an attack. But it can be used as a tool for being perceived as smart while just guessing shit. Which might have been his thoughts. But maybe this is too speculative. Lol.

So here is some information:

Trusting one's intuition is a complex and controversial topic that has been debated by psychologists, philosophers, and scientists for centuries. Intuition is often defined as a form of knowledge that is not based on conscious reasoning, but rather on subconscious processes, feelings, or instincts. Some people believe that intuition is a valuable and reliable source of guidance, while others argue that it is prone to errors and biases.

Here are some possible pros and cons of trusting one's intuition, based on scientific research and human biases:

Pros:

1. Intuition can help you make faster, more accurate, and more confident decisions, especially in situations where you have limited time or information

2. Intuition can help you tap into your creativity and innovation, as it allows you to access your subconscious mind and generate novel ideas

3. Intuition can help you align your actions with your values and purpose, as it reflects your inner feelings and desires

4. Intuition can help you take smarter risks, as it can guide you to do what feels right, despite the uncertainty and fear of making a wrong decision

5. Intuition can help you improve your social skills and relationships, as it can help you read other people's emotions, intentions, and needs
(-> I think I am pretty much the fifth category.)

Con-Arguments:

1. Intuition can lead to cognitive and social biases, such as the anchoring effect, confirmation bias, hindsight bias, and racial prejudice, which can distort your judgment and perception of reality

2. Intuition can be influenced by external factors, such as stress, mood, fatigue, and emotions, which can impair your intuition and make it less reliable

3. Intuition can be difficult to measure, verify, and explain, as it is often based on vague feelings, hunches, or gut reactions, which can make it hard to justify your decisions or actions to others

4. Intuition can be overused or misused, as some people may rely too much on their intuition and ignore or dismiss relevant facts, evidence, or logic, which can lead to poor or irrational decisions

5. Intuition can be inconsistent or contradictory, as different people may have different intuitions about the same situation, or the same person may have different intuitions at different times, which can create confusion or conflict

Scientifically I am more with the side that intuition is often bullshit. However I cannot change my pathologies in this instance. I still try to analyze me before and after I make decision in order to improve my thinking process. As here in this forum I am reflecting often on my mind and possible human biases. I also have the pathology of wanting to impress people. Which is pathetic if you are facing a person that is on a different dimension intelligence wise.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I think that you need to distinguish between intuition and impulse/instinct. I think that intuition can be beneficial, and some people have a "gut feeling" that ends up saving them. I think that the professor didn't like the fact that you were impulsive and wanted to complete his sentences, not the fact that you were using your intuition. I struggle with this as well (due to ADHD) and I think that this comes across as rude and disrespectful to others.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: squiddies, QteStimBnnuy and noname223