Halo13

Halo13

Wizard
May 9, 2019
I read a lot about people being strapped to beds, is that seriously a thing? I thought it was something only done in movies? What about human rights, what about bathroom trips, food etc? How the hell does all that work?
I was strapped to a bed about 6 years ago from a pill overdose ctb attempt. They were so concerned I would try to hurt myself, they had a nurse sit with me in 12 hour shifts by my side 24/7. The nurse would also come in the bathroom with me but turn their backs while I went. It was so uncomfortable, I'd have a hard time going. Even so, I've seen other patients get frustrated with the staff, not want to take their meds or something and get physically restrained, shot with an antipsychotic before placed in the quiet room. It has nothing but a bed bolted to the floor, they don't turn out the lights, camera watching and a door with a little observation window.

The staff would say "it is for your own good and safety of others." I always thought it was extremely unnecessary because often the situation wasn't dangerous but rather a patient saying "I've never taken this medication before, can I wait to talk with the doctor first?" The nurse would get annoyed, the patient would get frustrated and angry. Or a patient was just sick of being there, end up throwing a fit and the staff would consider it "dangerous". Just last summer there was a young woman on my ward who was chatting with another female patient while braiding her hair. The staff made her stop, she got upset because it was ridiculous and they threw her in the quiet room. As for food, there's 3 meals a day plus 1-2 snacks of fruit, yogurt, sometimes ice cream or granola bars so they're definitely not starving patients and in better hospitals, a resident nutritionist visits each patient to discuss dietary restrictions, allergies, vegan or vegetarian preferences and such.

I don't live in an underdeveloped country or place with out-of-date psychiatric treatment methods. I don't see how it is legal to strap a patient down unless they pose a serious threat of violence or self harm. The first time I was admitted I was really shocked to see it was real - made me think of movies and books, too. The psychiatrists themselves didn't seem to support the restraints anywhere near as much as the rest of the staff. I had a friend who worked as a nutritionist in a psych ward who would talk about patients being "psychotic", even asking me when my "psychosis" began (I'm not psychotic) and made massively blanketed and general judgements as anyone who attempts suicide/is suicidal, has anxiety or depression, really anyone who is in therapy or something as "psychotic" and even said she thought most of the patients were schizophrenic for the simple fact they had issues. It gave me the impression the staff at those places view people like us in a totally different way than we actually are. As legitimately stark raving lunatic versus the "good", "decent" "normal" people that can't grasp suicidal folks are humans just like them. It's amazing anyone has that mindset in 2019 but I gathered it could be why patients are still treated so poorly.

• Aww..
Reactions: L951788, AtomicNewt and Yaalya
Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
It is possible, yes, but obvously very hard, because you will be constantly watched. So the only way you can do this is by being very fast, and very sneaky.

AtomicNewt

AtomicNewt

A girl doesn't need anyone who doesn't need her
Jun 5, 2019
Think perhaps the US prison services need to check out some of the advice on here re. preventing deaths in custody, they don't seem too hot at keeping people on suicide watch alive...

There's also probably no better person to ask than a suicidal person, one who has had many deep and thoughtful hours to contemplate a plethora of ways how someone might creatively top themselves.

Strapped down to the bed though, that's barbaric, not sure how you manage getting out of that, but if subjected to that it would entirely make me Want to! And as a side note it massively pisses me off that they don't do that to people being held after committing the most barbaric of crimes but seem sadistically happy doing it to those who only "crime" is the inner suffering their individual lives and thoughts have given them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halo13, Lifeisatrap and Soulless_Angel
Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
I was strapped to a bed about 6 years ago from a pill overdose ctb attempt. They were so concerned I would try to hurt myself, they had a nurse sit with me in 12 hour shifts by my side 24/7. The nurse would also come in the bathroom with me but turn their backs while I went. It was so uncomfortable, I'd have a hard time going. Even so, I've seen other patients get frustrated with the staff, not want to take their meds or something and get physically restrained, shot with an antipsychotic before placed in the quiet room. It has nothing but a bed bolted to the floor, they don't turn out the lights, camera watching and a door with a little observation window.

The staff would say "it is for your own good and safety of others." I always thought it was extremely unnecessary because often the situation wasn't dangerous but rather a patient saying "I've never taken this medication before, can I wait to talk with the doctor first?" The nurse would get annoyed, the patient would get frustrated and angry. Or a patient was just sick of being there, end up throwing a fit and the staff would consider it "dangerous". Just last summer there was a young woman on my ward who was chatting with another female patient while braiding her hair. The staff made her stop, she got upset because it was ridiculous and they threw her in the quiet room. As for food, there's 3 meals a day plus 1-2 snacks of fruit, yogurt, sometimes ice cream or granola bars so they're definitely not starving patients and in better hospitals, a resident nutritionist visits each patient to discuss dietary restrictions, allergies, vegan or vegetarian preferences and such.

I don't live in an underdeveloped country or place with out-of-date psychiatric treatment methods. I don't see how it is legal to strap a patient down unless they pose a serious threat of violence or self harm. The first time I was admitted I was really shocked to see it was real - made me think of movies and books, too. The psychiatrists themselves didn't seem to support the restraints anywhere near as much as the rest of the staff. I had a friend who worked as a nutritionist in a psych ward who would talk about patients being "psychotic", even asking me when my "psychosis" began (I'm not psychotic) and made massively blanketed and general judgements as anyone who attempts suicide/is suicidal, has anxiety or depression, really anyone who is in therapy or something as "psychotic" and even said she thought most of the patients were schizophrenic for the simple fact they had issues. It gave me the impression the staff at those places view people like us in a totally different way than we actually are. As legitimately stark raving lunatic versus the "good", "decent" "normal" people that can't grasp suicidal folks are humans just like them. It's amazing anyone has that mindset in 2019 but I gathered it could be why patients are still treated so poorly.

Thank you for this reply, It sounds awful. No dignity, no privacy nothing, it sounds worse then hell itself
When it comes to the staff not understanding we are still human, I do wonder how much of it there is no true understanding, as every mental health patient is different, there is no book with a picture guide, like with a broken leg, or a tumour they can be fixed, or they know there may be no fix, its pretty much black and white. Whilst with mental health there is no guide on how to *fix* someone when it comes to this, and as they most likely have never been in this place there is no understanding. To many people judge those in our shoes, and its heartbreaking to know potentially that there are people working in this world for reasons other then caring

Reactions: Halo13 and Yaalya
k3v3r

k3v3r

Apr 25, 2019
I read a lot about people being strapped to beds, is that seriously a thing? I thought it was something only done in movies? What about human rights, what about bathroom trips, food etc? How the hell does all that work?
I've been put in restraints (read strapped to a bed) twice. They only do it in the most extreme cases (at least where i'm at) When they've tried everything (giving you a shot in the ass, 10 people holding you down) but you still are a huge danger to yourself or others. First time i was in restraints was after about 10 hours of getting held down, given medication etc. They couldn't handle me anymore.
So they strapped me to a bed with only my underwear on (i tried to strangle myself with all clothes) and a person sitting close to me. I was in for 16 hours, but luckily slept through many of them (they had given me so much fucking medication)

second time i had swallowed something sharp and needed to go to the hospital. They strapped me to a brancard because i was in danger of running away. 2 staff members went with me and 2 poluce officers.

They really only do it when they've tried everything

Reactions: Baskol1
Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
I've been put in restraints (read strapped to a bed) twice. They only do it in the most extreme cases (at least where i'm at) When they've tried everything (giving you a shot in the ass, 10 people holding you down) but you still are a huge danger to yourself or others. First time i was in restraints was after about 10 hours of getting held down, given medication etc. They couldn't handle me anymore.
So they strapped me to a bed with only my underwear on (i tried to strangle myself with all clothes) and a person sitting close to me. I was in for 16 hours, but luckily slept through many of them (they had given me so much fucking medication)

second time i had swallowed something sharp and needed to go to the hospital. They strapped me to a brancard because i was in danger of running away. 2 staff members went with me and 2 poluce officers.

Some people died even while being restrained. So much for saving lives.

I could understand restraining if youre a dangerous mentally ill serial killer. Then its absolutely necessary. But not when someone wants to die.

Last edited:
Reactions: veren4h92l and k3v3r
S

Sahil

Aug 14, 2019
Hanging u can do anywhere...bt i don't like this method

Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019

Wow whilst in some ways I can understand it, it does sound very degrading :(

BridgeJumper

BridgeJumper

The Arsonist
Apr 7, 2019
Strapping you down to the bed really is a thing. I was strapped down each time after I attempted to kill myself. This only taught me to wait it out and try again when Im discharged.
Yes, there were a few suicides in the psych ward in my city. One person clogged the bathtub drain, filled the tub with scalding hot water and gave themselves 3rd degree burns all over their body. Some other patient managed to break her neck with restraints she wiggled out of wrapped around it. The ward has a part that houses more stable patients, I snuck in razors and could easily slit my wrists there. They took your shoelaces and stuff on arrival but after that, my family visited me and I collected these shoelace like strings from my blouses. I dont think my hospital was that secure. If I really tried, I wouldt be tied down. Getting tied down is horrible when they inject you with haloperidol and you just writhe under restraints and cant do anything about it for 16 hours till your doctor sees you.

Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
Strapping you down to the bed really is a thing. I was strapped down each time after I attempted to kill myself. This only taught me to wait it out and try again when Im discharged.
Yes, there were a few suicides in the psych ward in my city. One person clogged the bathtub drain, filled the tub with scalding hot water and gave themselves 3rd degree burns all over their body. Some other patient managed to break her neck with restraints she wiggled out of wrapped around it. The ward has a part that houses more stable patients, I snuck in razors and could easily slit my wrists there. They took your shoelaces and stuff on arrival but after that, my family visited me and I collected these shoelace like strings from my blouses. I dont think my hospital was that secure. If I really tried, I wouldt be tied down. Getting tied down is horrible when they inject you with haloperidol and you just writhe under restraints and cant do anything about it for 16 hours till your doctor sees you.

Hot water? This is a horrific way to die, just like burning to death, only truly insane people kill themselves that way.

ARW3N

ARW3N

Melancholia
Dec 25, 2019
Yes, but probably less often than in other places because mental hospitals and the staff are geared towards suicide prevention. Families have been known to sue mental hospitals when a patient commits suicide.

Reactions: Kat!
K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
epstein did it, I'm sure I can too.

Reactions: Deleted member 22624 and L951788
L951788

L951788

Student
Dec 28, 2020
Epstein was one of the lucky ones to get "assisted" suicide.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 22624 and Kat!

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Epstein was one of the lucky ones to get "assisted" suicide.
I think it's kinda funny that in order for a human to get "assisted" suicide one has to be a danger for someone else. Even I would state calmly and rationally that I want to die, and would try numerous traditional and alternative methods of improving my life, to no avail, and if my sanity would be approved by doctors, I'd still less likely to get "euthanized" than if I were to go on a murderous rage or something.

Reactions: Kat!
K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
I think it's kinda funny that in order for a human to get "assisted" suicide one has to be a danger for someone else. Even I would state calmly and rationally that I want to die, and would try numerous traditional and alternative methods of improving my life, to no avail, and if my sanity would be approved by doctors, I'd still less likely to get "euthanized" than if I were to go on a murderous rage or something.
Death penalty method lol

Reactions: Deleted member 22624
D

Deleted member 25174

Jan 4, 2021
I ended up with a bloody shadow after I nearly succeeded with a sheet. Won't go into details but you can do it with paper as well. I think it'd be pretty hard but anything is possible