nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
Probably a controversial question but here goes, I don't obviously think everyone is bisexual, there are definitely truly straight people, truly gay people and truly asexual people.

I however think that it's clear social norms/religious beliefs strongly influence sexual expression. I think there are many more gay/bi people in society but the stigma of being disowned/kicked out by family, being beaten/imprisoner (particularly in third world countries), keeps them from coming out or even acknowledging it in themselves.

So do you think in a world where anyone could date/have sex with whatever gender they wanted, we'd see many more bi people?

Reactions: Source Energy, NodusTollens, Wrennie and 1 other person
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
I don't think that everyone is necessarily gay/bi/lesbian, people with these attractions are still in the minority regardless of how accepted it becomes, even in other animals where these behaviors have been observed, they are still an outlier and definitely not the norm, or, it's out human interpretation that makes us think of them as "gay" animals.

About your last point, yes, you are correct in thinking that there would be more same sex attraction in society if it becomes accepted and not looked down upon, both because more people will come out AND because humans learn by imitation, so if we see someone successful or worthy of our admiration (parents, people in positions of power, even fictional heroes) we will start to internalize some of their behaviors, and things like what we are discussion are definitely not exempt from that.

After all, males and females may have differences, but we are far more alike than we are different, so it's not impossible to think that someone may grow up and in a way "learn" to be gay or bi, there are a lot of people who grew up confused and then realized that they were either straight or gay, and the de-transitioning movement is growing quite a bit in the LGBT community.
There's a saying in my language that goes something like : "in war times, every hole is a trench" a funny way of putting it, but kinda real, nonetheless.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying any of this in an insulting or offensive way, I feel like I need to clarify this every time this topic comes up because this discussion is becoming really... spicy lately.

Reactions: NodusTollens and Brink
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
More bi people? Possibly, but I still don't think they would be the majority. I really don't think most straight people are repressing their bisexuality, but some might.

Although, it's kind of tough for me to put myself in a position of someone who could become bi if the world was less judgemental, as someone who has no desire to have sex with the gender I'm "supposed" to have sex with.

Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
Nope. Not me. Not even a little bit.

Reactions: Amumu
M

Miss_Takes

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Dec 4, 2020
No, I dont think everyone is a little bit bi sexual. I do think more people are comfortable to acknowledge their sexuality than ever before and therefore the 'categories' are evening out.
I personally dont think the 'everyone is a little bit bisexual or bi curious debate' is helpful and reeks of exactly the kind of bias that leads to discrimination.
I hope one day the world will get to a place where 'having' to define our sexuality isnt necessary.

And, I am a predominantly straight woman with bi sexual tendencies for anyone who thinks its important to the argument.

ohhgeeitsme

ohhgeeitsme

Wizard
Feb 5, 2020
I do think there are more bi people out there than we realize, but no, I don't think everyone is a little bit bi. I never started to admit my bisexuality until my mid 20's, and I still don't tell certain people about it. I think some my family knows, especially now since I got a message from a hateful cousin and aunt that randomly said, "everyone knows you're a lezbo," but I've still never told any of them.

My sexuality has changed over the years. I may be permanently asexual now after SSRIs, but lets ignore that for now.
In the beginning, I was far more sexually attracted to females but only romantically and somewhat sexually attracted to males. As a teenager and even a kid, it was females I would fantasize sexually about but males that I had the crushes on and would want to date. I would only rarely crush on a female. This went on into young adulthood. I always dated men, but I still only fantasized sexually about women and have been with more of them. Then in my mid 20's, and I was already married to a man, I started to become more sexually attracted to men too. I was 27 years old the first time I ever fantasized sexually about a man. Suddenly I was becoming both more sexually attracted to men than women. Now, even though I don't currently have any sexual desire for any gender, I'm starting to develop a real romantic attraction to women too or even transgender people. Honestly, I'm just all over the place haha.

• Love
Reactions: Miss_Takes and Wrennie
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
Not me. (Should be obvious. My avatar is the legendary all natural June Wilkinson. Classic era Playboy model with no piercings or tattoos.)

Reactions: Fragile and Good4Nothing
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
There would probably be a higher amount of all types of sexualities if the people that are influenced by their environment weren't influenced by it. But idk why it would be just bi people, it would be probably all of them but idk

Reactions: Miss_Takes
I

Imgonnadie

Student
Oct 16, 2018
It's a spectrum like most things in the world. Language is silly.

Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
I never got a boner for a guy, only girls with giant boobs when I still had a sexual response (in an era where there was no gender confusion, at a time and place we were growing up watching the girls sprout, so there was zero chance of implants being involved).

During recent years, I have been offered opportunities to medically revive my sexual response, and I have flatly rejected those treatments. Unless I grew up with the females I was once attracted to, I want nothing to do with them.

Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
This definitely does apply to me, but some people seem totally grossed out by the idea of it so I guess not everyone.

user667

user667

Student
May 11, 2020
eh probably a little bit. i'm a lesbian, but i'm still attracted to guys sometimes. but i wouldn't date or have sex with one. so i guess you could say most people are a little bi

D

DJJE

Sep 29, 2020
It's a spectrum. There are no discreet categories. Just individuals attracted to some other individuals. Not groups attracted to groups.

• Yay!
Reactions: GasMonkey