• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

E

everythingscaresme

May 19, 2020
I'll be working as a cashier at a supermarket. It's my first job ever, so I don't know anything about being a cashier or working at a supermarket. For the last two years I haven't left my house for anything except doctor's appointments, so it's been a while since I've interacted with anybody. What if I have a panic attack at work? What if I'm too dumb to learn how to do the job in the first place? I also lied on my application and said I love helping people. Is this going to be as bad as my mind is convincing itself it will be? Does anybody have tips for me? I really need the money so I can't afford to fuck this up.

unplug

unplug

Vapor Self
Apr 11, 2023
Being it your first job it'll be nerve racking, don't let your anxious thoughts control you. It's never as bad as you perceive it to be.

My advice would be: have a mindset that you won't be there long, just do your first day. What do you have to lose? Maybe you will like it, or not, but it's worth a try either way.

Last edited:
Riu

Riu

Clueless
Apr 5, 2023
It is a scary first step to put yourself out there for the first time, after being home for so long. Take it one day at a time. Start by researching a lot before you go in. Watch YouTube videos on how to be a cashier, to prepare yourself.

It's important to remember that everyone makes mistakes, so just do your best and don't be hard on yourself. You will get the hang of it the more you work. The first few days will be the hardest but you will feel more confident and less scared as you keep going. You can do this.

I work as a waiter, and I am no good at socializing at all, don't even have any friends I can call close, just a lot of acquaintances. I just go there and do my job, most of the time I just act like an NPC lol. Of course, I've made a lot of mistakes starting out, and I still do most of the time. Just remember that mistakes happen and you'll get used to it. Also if there's a nice co-worker willing to help you that would be great. Also if you make a mistake, just say sorry and tell them it's your first day. Most likely than not, they will be understanding unless they are one of those rare losers that are in society just to cause trouble for others. I remember having to take an order from a customer on my first day, it's a good thing they were really nice and actually told me how to do it. Don't worry about it, as long as you don't somehow break everything, piss off all your customers or something, and be super rude you'll be fine. If you're really that worried, just mind your own business and do your job. If you get asked questions you don't know, just be honest and tell them that you don't know and that you're new and guide them to someone with more experience or something.

I know how hard it can be to do these things with anxiety, I've been there many many times before. You just have to go for it and say what you have to say and do what you have to do. I wish you the best and just try your best alright? Tell me how it goes after your first day if you don't mind. If you ever need to talk I always have an ear to lend. :heart::hug:

Last edited:
Punished Mantis

Punished Mantis

Apr 12, 2023
I have extreme social anxiety so I know how you feel. At first, it will be very hard but it very quickly transitions into being normal. The nice thing about work is you do it for long periods (hourly shifts multiple times a week) so you get adjusted very fast. Also working at other places afterwards becomes a lot less daunting after your first job. The first one always feels the worst but just stick it through and you got this.

Dot

Dot

Globl mod - Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
Jst remmbr tht u wll b givn training fr th/ job -- = ds nt matter tht u d/ nt knw wht u r doin yt

Mght b wrth learnng sme breathng exrcises 2 hlp wth ur anxiety & help 2 kp u calm in ur 1st few dys

D/ nt wrry abt lyng abt wantng 2 help ppl -- lts of cashiers wrk tht job bcse thy wnt a salary & nothng els

Gd lck -- am sre u wll b gr8

Reactions: 710 and katagiri83
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
Exactly, you will be giving training and they'll tell you what and how to do it, don't worry, they get new people constantly, they are used to people like you :)

And don't mind any Karen's you come across, you are doing your best and this is your first time so don't let yourself be fooled into thinking you are doing badly by people who have a miserable life and let it out on others.

I wish you all the best, you got this!! <3

luminiby

luminiby

bubble buddy
Apr 14, 2023
I'm so happy for you! Don't get too worked up about it, they will train you and have people help you until you start to get comfortable with your position :) best of luck! <3 let us know how it goes

Reactions: Valky
Venus13

Venus13

-
Oct 2, 2022
I've been a cashier for a few years in the past. Greet the customers, get them checked out, bid them farewell and get your paycheck. Don't be afraid to ask your manager/co-workers for help. Everyone was new at some point and everyone knows that first job feeling. It'a natural.

The biggest thing about these jobs is you sometimes take in a range human emotion on any given day. Keep that energy at a distance and focus on the task. Bring a good lunch and take that time for yourself.

E

everythingscaresme

May 19, 2020
I don't know if anybody will see this reply but it went pretty good. I messed up a lot but my coworker was there to help me through everything and I don't think I fucked anything up. I might have though.

• Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: Kualk and Riu
ShinigamiApples

ShinigamiApples

Apr 7, 2023
I'll be working as a cashier at a supermarket. It's my first job ever, so I don't know anything about being a cashier or working at a supermarket. For the last two years I haven't left my house for anything except doctor's appointments, so it's been a while since I've interacted with anybody. What if I have a panic attack at work? What if I'm too dumb to learn how to do the job in the first place? I also lied on my application and said I love helping people. Is this going to be as bad as my mind is convincing itself it will be? Does anybody have tips for me? I really need the money so I can't afford to fuck this up.
Hey there, it's completely understandable to feel nervous and overwhelmed about starting a new job, especially when it's your first one ever. It's normal to worry about things like panic attacks or not being able to do the job, but try not to let those thoughts consume you.

Remember that everyone starts somewhere and it's okay to ask for help if you need it. The fact that you're worried about doing a good job shows that you care, and that's already a great trait to have. Don't worry too much about the lie on your application, it's not uncommon for people to embellish a bit when applying for jobs. Just focus on doing your best and being friendly to customers.

As for tips, take things one step at a time and don't be afraid to ask your coworkers or manager for help or clarification. Make sure you take breaks when you need to and try to stay calm if things get hectic. You got this!

E

everythingscaresme

May 19, 2020
I don't know if anybody will see this reply but it went pretty good. I messed up a lot but my coworker was there to help me through everything and I don't think I fucked anything up. I might have though.

My second day was the most fun I've had in years. That is depressing. I met so many different people, autistically creeped on my female coworker, wanna kill myself, boss is cool, managers are awesome, I'm too weird, too attractive, gonna get fired soon probably,

Stormy Raine

Stormy Raine

Quietly counting down the days, hours, minutes..
Apr 7, 2023
Those that say they can..can. Those that say they can't..cant. Think positive and go in and shine! I always carry a few diazepams with me in a secret stash so when I feel panicked I pop one and can continue on. You will be amazed who you will meet. I always say everything happens for a reason and nothing is a coincidence. Keep us posted on your 1st day and best wishes!

Coldpizza22

Coldpizza22

Crafter
Apr 2, 2023
My second day was the most fun I've had in years. That is depressing. I met so many different people, autistically creeped on my female coworker, wanna kill myself, boss is cool, managers are awesome, I'm too weird, too attractive, gonna get fired soon probably,
Everyone messes up, i work in a workshop as a apprentice and just scratched some pain on a thousands of dollar worth machine and broke a drill bit, no problem.
You're doing good, just keep it up. When i go to the supermarket i dont pay to much attention to the cashier, i just say hi, pay, take my stuff and go. Most people are busy and don't even remember who the cashier is.

EmpathyMinded

EmpathyMinded

Student
May 1, 2023
I remember that feeling, although I'm sure there are some differences. And since I've had several jobs.

This isn't me trying to patronize you or make you feel good even, just my honest thoughts: you don't meed to worry. Starting out at any job, and especially if they know it's your first ever, your management and coworkers aren't going to expect you to know what to do. Typically, there is someone who will be by your side, who at first will have you watch them and then have you try doing things yourself but while they are there so they can help. You WILL make mistakes occasionally, but it's not the end of the world. If you're not sure if you know how to do something right, ask them for help. Don't rush to get results done, take the time you need as you are building your confidence.

As for the social aspect of it - dealing with customers and all that - don't overthink it. Smile and ask them how they are doing and in your case if they found everything okay. Some of my jobs have been customer service, and you wouldn't believe what a difference being nice to them at the start of dealing with them makes on things going smoothly. If it makes it easier, pretend you were talking to someone you ARE comfortable with, like a friend or family member or even someone on here, whatever works for you.

Again, ask for help if you need it and don't stress about mistakes. Nobody is expecting perfection right off the bat, so don't expect it of yourself. Try your best, and they will see it and appreciate it. I believe in you.

BlissCore

BlissCore

<3
May 3, 2023
Social anxiety is the worst! I have it, and that was actually my first job too. It takes some time to get used to it. I would say after a while i get in a headspace to get through the shift by thinking about other things in my head. I did get some comments from my bosses about not being super talkative and "smiley" but honestly i was too nervous to tell them about my anxiety. Which, i dont have to, but in alot of situations it might help you to. It really does suck that alot of neurotypical people dont understand social anxiety. I wish you the best for your job! Looking at the post its been a couple weeks, is it going ok?

ChoclateIsSweet

ChoclateIsSweet

ChocolateIsSweet
Mar 24, 2020
OP are you still a cashier?