Xaeniak

Xaeniak

Bootlegged doll
Sep 14, 2023
IDK if anyone will find this helpful, but I think I may have found a path towards overcoming my SI. Internal Family Systems therapy isn't explicitly designed for this, but I think it may help me overcome some of the psychological blocks keeping me from ctb.

Short version, IFS views everyone as composed of different parts, each of which is essentially a complete person unto themselves. They fall into categories of exiles, managers, and firefighters, and they can have conflicting beliefs and relationships with each other, and parts can even have their own parts. It sounds a bit like DID or split personality stuff, but it's not to that level.

Basically, my idea is to try to identify which of your part(s) are keeping you from ctb. I won't post a link publicly, but I'd recommend the books No Bad Parts or Internal Family Systems Therapy, both by Richard Schwartz. They're both pirateable if your local library doesn't have them, and go into greater depth on locating and working with your individual parts.

In my case, my parts are named after archetypal figures, like the Sage, the Magician, the Sovereign, etc. During my last suicide attempt, none of my parts wanted to live, but one, the Fool, wouldn't let me ctb. It took a while to work with him enough to find out why, but I think he doesn't think I deserve to die. He thinks it's right that we should suffer, or that we need someone else's permission to ctb first.

Obviously I'm still here, so it's still a work in progress, but I'm really hoping I can convince him that we DO deserve some peace, or that the Sovereign can be that figure of authority for him, and he'll stand aside during my next attempt.

Sorry for rambling, I'm not sure where I'm going with this, just thought it might be interesting to someone. Has anyone heard of therapy for overcoming SI? Got any other recommendations for me to look into?

Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
Just to clarify, you are talking about therapy for suicidal ideation, right? SI is often used to mean survival instinct here. Ideation is kind of a given. I'm confused.

Therapy for overcoming survival instinct or suicidal ideation? If the latter, maybe the recovery forum would be better suited?

I'm daft.

Edit: reread the beginning, I'm good now! I've never found any books on overcoming one's survival instinct. I don't think they'd survive on the market, honestly. I'm going to look into IFS out of curiosity. Sounds fun. Like an RPG in my head.

Xaeniak

Xaeniak

Bootlegged doll
Sep 14, 2023
Just to clarify, you are talking about therapy for suicidal ideation, right? SI is often used to mean survival instinct here. Ideation is kind of a given. I'm confused.

Therapy for overcoming survival instinct or suicidal ideation? If the latter, maybe the recovery forum would be better suited?

I'm daft.
No, for overcoming the survival instinct. I think my "survival instinct" is really just a psychological block that I can overcome, if I come at it right.

My therapist obviously doesn't know this is what I'm really after, lol, but I thought I could retrofit IFS to be useful for ctb.

Reactions: stilhavinightmares and Foreverix
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
Gotcha. For that matter, couldn't cognitive behavioral therapy be weaponized in the mind to assuage fears relative to death and taking one's own life? Instead of challenging "negative" thoughts and behaviors, one would challenge the "positive" thoughts/behaviors. Which I think this is what the suicidal mind does already. Right?

Reactions: Xaeniak and stilhavinightmares
Xaeniak

Xaeniak

Bootlegged doll
Sep 14, 2023
Potentially, yeah. I've never had much luck with CBT, either for treating my depression or for hastening my end, but it feels like therapy's a tool that could be put to that use, too. It's just tough because you've basically gotta be your own therapist

Reactions: Foreverix
stilhavinightmares

stilhavinightmares

Warlock
Oct 13, 2022
Gotcha. For that matter, couldn't cognitive behavioral therapy be weaponized in the mind to assuage fears relative to death and taking one's own life? Instead of challenging "negative" thoughts and behaviors, one would challenge the "positive" thoughts/behaviors. Which I think this is what the suicidal mind does already. Right?
This blew my mind (yes I am high). But 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯 - so true.

• Love
Reactions: Foreverix and Xaeniak
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
Potentially, yeah. I've never had much luck with CBT, either for treating my depression or for hastening my end, but it feels like therapy's a tool that could be put to that use, too. It's just tough because you've basically gotta be your own therapist
I haven't either, my friend. At the end of the day, I guess we're all our own therapist, for better or worse! And it is tough, the mind is a terrible master. Do you find yourself attracted to nihilism overall or no?
This blew my mind (yes I am high). But 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯 - so true.
Lmao. I hope you're enjoying yourself! 😉

• Love
Reactions: stilhavinightmares