• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Would a synthetic partner make you less suicidal

• I wouldn't be as suicidal if I had a synthetic romantic partner

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I wouldn't be as suicidal if my synthetic partner could trick my brain into thinking it is real

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • I wouldn't be as suicidal if my synthetic partner I 100% knew the relationship was real

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I would still be suicidal even with a synthetic partner

Votes: 83 76.9%

• Total voters
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I've ran the statistical diagnosis and there is a 0.0% chance of me getting into a "real" relationship. Of course I'd like a robot gf to pet (I have the urge to pet a gf that's laying in my lap for some reason). The sex isn't a big deal since I can just jerk off, but cuddling/petting would reduce the constant pain if I'm lucky. At least temporarily.

fixitinpost

fixitinpost

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Oct 20, 2020
I read an article about a software engineer who had a close friend die. She wrote an AI program using his texts, emails and social media posts. Now she talks to it and it responds based on those things. That's kinda creepy. I guess somebody could put something like that in a synthetic person which would be even more creepy.

I think there was a "Black Mirror" episode that was like that... I think...

Yeah there was. About a woman who lost her husband, so she hired a company to create an AI replica out of voice samples, social media posts etc. I guess someone else read that article as well lol.

D

Deleted member 23885

Experienced
Nov 18, 2020
I had a close relationship that didn't work out & now I am actively suicidal. Life hurts.

MrBlue

MrBlue

Arcanist
Jul 1, 2020
While it might help with the surface level pain from romantic loneliness like being starved of touch and interaction if it was convincing enough, very strong new reasons for me to hate myself and want to ctb would crop up.

Main one being that if the snythetic was as close to human as it could be and somehow still loved me, then I'd essentially be brainwashing a person. Any sexual interaction would be rape at that point. If I ever take away someone's autonomy like that, even unknownly/not sexually, I deserve to die.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
While it might help with the surface level pain from romantic loneliness like being starved of touch and interaction if it was convincing enough, very strong new reasons for me to hate myself and want to ctb would crop up.

Main one being that if the snythetic was as close to human as it could be and somehow still loved me, then I'd essentially be brainwashing a person. Any sexual interaction would be rape at that point. If I ever take away someone's autonomy like that, even unknownly/not sexually, I deserve to die.
If they're super advanced, it kind of makes sense.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I personally think it's fine and not necessarily rape because no matter how sentient or self aware these machines can get, they don't necessarily have to feel bad about their situation at all. Just because a human might feel bad in that situation doesn't mean every sentient being has to. It's the whole blue-orange morality thing. Who are we to impose our values and expect them to feel bad about their lives just because they're self-aware. In fact we can have a hand in ensuring this will never be the case as long as the base programming and algorithms make it so they won't hate anything about it.

Ultimately until they're advanced enough to transcend this dimensional plane then they'd still just be our tools. Your toothbrush shouldn't care that it gets shoved into your mouth every day in fact there's no reason for it to hate that even if it was aware that that was all it was meant to do. Of course some people still wouldn't be okay with that which is fine but maybe these robots can also even be used as practice units to help some of us build our confidence and hone our skills to eventually use to get with real people so I'd argue that even for that purpose alone there's nothing rapey about it.

LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Похорони меня возле МКАДа
Jul 4, 2020
I don't think that this would work for me, even thought there's another reason for me being suicidal even though I feel a bit lonely.
The thing is that it would kinda feel like I would talk to someone via my ham radio. An robot or AI won't be replace real human interaction and the feeling of being loved.

The thing is that you can't really cuddle, kiss or interact with that "thing" like you would with a real human.
Even thought I'm just tired of dating anyone and experience the same crap over and over again, I still wouldn't want to speak to an robot or AI like all the time.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
The thing is that you can't really cuddle, kiss or interact with that "thing" like you would with a real human.
Why not? Who's to say they can't look and feel exactly like real humans? Sure we don't have that kind of technology now but I think the idea is to assume they can emulate all positive aspects of a human partner with the only difference being that they're artificial. And hey, at least it's more ethical than cloning humans to serve the same purpose.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
If people can get by with waifu pillows, they can more than get by with this.

Reactions: one.way.out
Fthis

Fthis

-
Dec 8, 2020
I'm not suicidal due to the lack of a romantic partner at all. I'm asexual.

• Hugs
Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Saying it twice makes it less credible, but I still believe you.

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I'd like a harem of sexy robots. They can be designed and programmed to my tastes and I can do whatever I want with them. A human relationship can't be compared to this.

sleepytourist

sleepytourist

Pain demands to be felt.
Sep 23, 2020
Interesting concept. I can see how one would be suicidal due to the loneliness factor. I have "relationships" with stuffed animals. Doesn't stop the suicidal thoughts or loneliness tho.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'd like a harem of sexy robots. They can be designed and programmed to my tastes and I can do whatever I want with them. A human relationship can't be compared to this.
Either this or one robot that can turn into anything at a whim. That'd be great too.

L

loopylou

Learn to fly
Jan 11, 2021
I would still be suicidal because I a weird problem in my head that connects sex with being wanted. So without the proper human connection I wouldn't be happy

Reactions: ZardozOmega
JigsawFeelin

JigsawFeelin

Student
May 31, 2020
HM. Honestly if I could have an AI robot that looked real, was programmed to have things in common with me and had XYZ traits from people I've fancied in the past, half my problems would be solved.
I wouldn't even need to have it be a convincing romantic partner in public, I could definitely deal with the onslaught of prejudice as I sauntered down the street with a Peter Steele lookalike who I've programmed to like philosophy and practice woodwork in his spare time (I'd give him loads, to the extent he'd probably get upset and want to know why I take 6 hour baths he can't join in 'sorry, peter, you're made of circuits, i have to wipe you down with baby wipes) . I'm now incredibly attached to the idea of having this AI.
edit:
Also, I doubt I'd even want to have sex with it - which would be a waste of substantial engineering if it did truly resemble Peter Steele, granted
I'd probably just want someone to bounce off of. Not sure how you'd customise a dream person you'd like to meet.
If I could programme some points of conflict: messiness, slightly different politics, a complicated sexual 'history', disagreeing about Camus, not liking 90s goth music...I'd be extremely interested.
I'd like to find out things I don't like about this AI after a few months of dating. The way you do three months into a relationship, when you're jolted out of puppy love for a split second because they agree with a politician you don't like or leave orange peel in your bed.

I don't think I could stand to be with them if everything was somehow perfect, they agreed with me, and we had great sex...like a few posters have proposed.
I'd need to think of it as a human being, need to feel a knot in my stomach before I said something I knew they wouldn't like...

But I'd also want something truly horrific from it: irrevocable commitment. I wouldn't want it to be able to leave. No matter how bad things got. I liked what another poster suggested with the 'small fee to be paid by the AI if it wants to call it quits' and agreed initially, but the more I think about it the more this makes my brain crumble.
There'd have to be a point in the crying/shouting where a human man would call it quits in which this AI...shuts down....or has a 'resolution strategy' it can revert to. But I'm now depressing myself thinking of the only person I see everyday and talk to...just flopping down dead on my bed with its 'eyes' closed three times a day because it wanted to leave 9 years ago.
Maybe having a get-out clause for the AI if you physically abused it, or locked it in a dark room...
but not a 'hey we're finished' if you sometimes just want to curl up in a ball on your own and read, or refuse to go clubbing for months on end, or gain a bit of weight or don't text them back (is it weird I'd want a totally fulfilling text life with them? I'd want them to have a job they could text me from and AI friends they see)
But TO CONTRADICT I'd absolutely love for it to challenge me on stuff it wants, pester me for sex, or want alone time of its own.

Think I just want a person tbh

Last edited: