• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Untimely

Untimely

Student
Apr 21, 2023
Sorry if this is a naive question but is there any guide on here on how to SH safely, avoid infections etc.?

Sad_Autistic_boy_101

Sad_Autistic_boy_101

When I die, you'll love me.
Nov 19, 2019
Sort of.. I was given some training called "Safe Harm" by an old therapist.. The belief is that you cannot stop someone from hurting themselves, but if they have to do it then it's best to try and do it in a safe way. There's not much to do and they may all be obvious but I'll repeat what the therapist told me. I am not encouraging you to do this but I understand that people will stop when they feel ready to even if you don't ever think this will happen.

Somethings suggested to me was:

- Make sure whatever you use, you clean first with wipes or antiseptic spray. Washing them in water can cause them to rust which will increase the risk of infections.
- Changing the tool once blunt
- The obvious one is using plasters, water and alcohol wipes once finished on the wounds. Dettol is highly recommended. Make a "safe harm kit" with these items in ready
- Holding the limb up in the air to slow bleeding down and use a towel for compression.
- Do no put pressure on when using a new tool, the risk of accidently going to far is very high.
- If you are worried, you can go to a GP to check for infection. They cannot section you for it. I've done this several times.

Reactions: Untimely and underthedatetree