• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

cheems

cheems

Feb 12, 2024
I'm this close to buying all that I need to. And once it's here it will only be a matter of time until I get a bad enough day again, and finally get in the bus. But I'm worried.

I'm worried about throwing up. Worried about it not working. Worried about becoming a vegetable. Worried about being paralysed in pain. Worried about failing again.

I'm sure many people here heard of the "quantum immortality" theory. It basically states that as long as there is a possibility for you to continue living, you will. In simpler terms, if there's a chance that you survive a certain event, then in some parallel universe or reality, you will indeed survive. I don't want to cause myself to suffer. I get accused of that too much already.

I wish I could bring myself to believe this is not possible, or that I would acquire (enough?) certainty in a method which will either leave me unscathed, or completely destroy me. Something in-between seems less desirable than my current state. I just want to rest. I never asked for this. I ache for all who are brought to this position, and who will be brought to this position. I unapologetically blame my mother and father. But they are flawed too. They didn't know better. I have to forgive them too. It's just a tragedy. I have to get it done. I just need a little push.

I'm going to sleep today. Nothing else I can do at the moment. I'm eager to know what everyone makes of the Many Worlds Interpretation and quantum immortality.

Last edited:
Pikmin

Pikmin

Mar 6, 2024
You are clinging to crazy ideas to not CTB. Deep down, you want to live. I would suggest trying everything you can to continue living and find success and fulfillment in your life.

K

Kalista

Failed hard to pull the trigger - Now using SN
Feb 5, 2023
It's a theory for a reason -- they don't have evidence that it's real. It's currently just an idea. Try not to believe something that's not even proven yet. The chances of it not being real is still high.

Last edited:
Goku Black

Goku Black

Global Mod
Jun 5, 2023
You are clinging to crazy ideas to not CTB. Deep down, you want to live. I would suggest trying everything you can to continue living and find success and fulfillment in your life.
Please respect OPs genuine feelings and thoughts expressed here and not dismiss them as "crazy ideas", not only that but claiming to know what they're feeling deep down when they've only stated the opposite otherwise.

Last edited:
Whale_bones

Whale_bones

Student
Feb 11, 2020
It's reasonable to consider this theory, because if something like multiple timelines or realities exists, we have no way to test, prove or disprove that. We can only ever gather evidence about the physical world we live in, and we'd have no possible way to perceive another dimension or alternate timeline. The fact that we can't perceive it doesn't give us information on whether it's more likely to exist or not exist, to be true or not true.

This is just how I work through things, I follow the tenants of logical skepticism. Some people are more comforted by vague concepts, or they may have spiritual beliefs that are comforting to them. It's a very individual thing, but for me I always prefer to work through it step by step.

So with this concept of many worlds existing, I end up with this: As far as I know, human consciousness is caused and sustained by the human brain. All evidence I've seen so far points to consciousness ending when brain activity ends. There could be other possibilities, but since I can't gather evidence or test those possibilities, it makes more sense to go with the thing I *do* have evidence for (I.e. my consciousness will cease when my brain activity ceases).

davidtorez

davidtorez

Experienced
Mar 8, 2024
It's reasonable to consider this theory, because if something like multiple timelines or realities exists, we have no way to test, prove or disprove that. We can only ever gather evidence about the physical world we live in, and we'd have no possible way to perceive another dimension or alternate timeline. The fact that we can't perceive it doesn't give us information on whether it's more likely to exist or not exist, to be true or not true.

This is just how I work through things, I follow the tenants of logical skepticism. Some people are more comforted by vague concepts, or they may have spiritual beliefs that are comforting to them. It's a very individual thing, but for me I always prefer to work through it step by step.

So with this concept of many worlds existing, I end up with this: As far as I know, human consciousness is caused and sustained by the human brain. All evidence I've seen so far points to consciousness ending when brain activity ends. There could be other possibilities, but since I can't gather evidence or test those possibilities, it makes more sense to go with the thing I *do* have evidence for (I.e. my consciousness will cease when my brain activity ceases).
I definitely have to agree with this. It also seems like an unfalsifiable hypothesis to me

Reactions: Whale_bones