• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

TerminallyAlive

TerminallyAlive

Oct 7, 2020
Will I be able to rent at a target range? But at a flea market? Find a gun show? For which of these will they run a background check?

K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
Renting, or straw purchasing.
Straw purchasing is when you buy a gun off a friend, so basically no background check. This is commonly done in rural places where people are really flexible about the laws.
Renting is a possibility but I haven't done a lot of research on it.

LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Are you worried about a criminal background check or mental health? As long as you were not committed (and in the case of fine print regarding gun ownership, this usually means only involuntarily-when a court is involved) you shouldn't have to worry about them finding anything out, unless you decide not to omit any information regarding your mental state.
(I also don't know what country you are from so gun laws could be different here.)

TerminallyAlive

TerminallyAlive

Oct 7, 2020
Are you worried about a criminal background check or mental health? As long as you were not committed (and in the case of fine print regarding gun ownership, this usually means only involuntarily-when a court is involved) you shouldn't have to worry about them finding anything out, unless you decide not to omit any information regarding your mental state.
(I also don't know what country you are from so gun laws could be different here.)

Yes, committed by a court in the USA.

Ironweed

Ironweed

Nauseated.
Nov 9, 2019
Gun show loophole - link is to Wikipedia

Since there's no federally mandated background checks at gun shows for residents of the same state, that might work. Typically only applies to states in the South and West and away from the coasts, sadly. Long guns and shot guns look to be easier to get than handguns in a several jurisdictions. And, obviously, you have to live in the same state where the show is.

I'm sure there's exceptions both ways, but it basically looks like every state that voted for Trump has this loophole, and none of the ones that went for Biden do.

FWIW, I live in a state with very restrictive rules and I've toyed with moving to a nearby state with lax ones. I don't have an involuntary hold as an adult, but I just figured it would be easier to get a gun that way. Move a hundred miles, get a new driver's license, register your car and register to vote in the new jurisdiction. Not sure what other ID they ask for beyond that, that I still need to research.

Reactions: TerminallyAlive
TerminallyAlive

TerminallyAlive

Oct 7, 2020
Thanks. Is there an easy way to track down private sellers or gun shows?

Would a booth at a flea market count as private?

Ironweed

Ironweed

Nauseated.
Nov 9, 2019
Thanks. Is there an easy way to track down private sellers or gun shows?

I have no idea, sorry. Where I live is and where I used to live are both super anal about gun sales and gun ownership, at least by American standards. Both states had laws requiring background checks on all sales, and one state had very tough restrictions on all hand gun ownership.

Would a booth at a flea market count as private?

I think so, unless they're a gun dealer, but I also think most flea markets don't allow guns to be bought and sold at them...but again, I live in a very liberal area so maybe what I'm saying doesn't apply in all states.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Holy shit that is false info. Go to a gun show and ask to buy a gun without a 4473. You will be accused to being a fed or referred to law enforcement. The reason? The sellers at a gun show all have an FFL. Those sellers cannot sell a gun without a 4473 without risking intense fines and jail.

In some states, private, in state sales, without a background check are legal, provided neither party is a prohibited person

Reactions: Ksab