• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

tomoki

tomoki

Mar 8, 2023
I think I'm nearing my limit and if I don't do something soon, I'll die. I would really like to become a better person and get out of depression, but even antidepressants don't help.
Is anyone else in the same situation as me?
Do you have any advice for me?
Thank you very much to everyone who responds.

Sulyya

Sulyya

Synergist
Mar 6, 2023
To get out of it? That's difficult - depression itself has such fuzzy lines, about whether you're out. The most I've experienced is getting 'out' of constant depression into a cycle of having it be active and inactive, which other people get as well.

I think I found that perspective changes help - something like new job, moving, starting a new hobby or interest. Those are large ones but small things too. If you do it expecting that it will cure the depression, that might be setting up disappointment. But if you look at it just as repositioning, to let your mind try something new, then it's possible that you'll indirectly remove certain parts of your life that were sources or enablers of depression, which you didn't know existed. There aren't any fresh starts in life, but there are corrective steps.

tomoki

tomoki

Mar 8, 2023
To get out of it? That's difficult - depression itself has such fuzzy lines, about whether you're out. The most I've experienced is getting 'out' of constant depression into a cycle of having it be active and inactive, which other people get as well.

I think I found that perspective changes help - something like new job, moving, starting a new hobby or interest. Those are large ones but small things too. If you do it expecting that it will cure the depression, that might be setting up disappointment. But if you look at it just as repositioning, to let your mind try something new, then it's possible that you'll indirectly remove certain parts of your life that were sources or enablers of depression, which you didn't know existed. There aren't any fresh starts in life, but there are corrective steps.
I know that my behavior is not correct, I think that I am responsible for my discomfort and that I have to act to have something positive to rest on and move forward, but I can't do it, I can't get up, I can't study properly, I can't get out of my room.
but I can't do it, I can't get out of bed, I can't study properly, I can't get out of my room. I spend my day in bed, in the dark, listening to music.
it's really a cowardly behavior that doesn't deserve to live. every effort i try to make ends up in failure all the time,
i really don't know what to do anymore and only have one option left
anyway, thank you for your answer

Sulyya

Sulyya

Synergist
Mar 6, 2023
I know that my behavior is not correct, I think that I am responsible for my discomfort and that I have to act to have something positive to rest on and move forward, but I can't do it, I can't get up, I can't study properly, I can't get out of my room.
but I can't do it, I can't get out of bed, I can't study properly, I can't get out of my room. I spend my day in bed, in the dark, listening to music.
it's really a cowardly behavior that doesn't deserve to live. every effort i try to make ends up in failure all the time,
Oh I see, motivation. There was a short thread about that this week as well. I understand that so much. The tiniest goals are hard - in those times I sometimes decide that if I just walk to the store or around a park or something then I'll have made a small accomplishment. And it is, but often after even just a block or so my legs get weak and want to stop so I can just collapse on the sidewalk and stare at nothing.

By the end of just one though you can feel improvement. Without being able to feel it from your perspective I can't be certain but you can do it or something like that I think, because you have the selfawareness. I did find that hard committments don't work with depression, such as "I will do this every day - period no excuses". That doesn't work. But encouraging yourself to just occasionally do it (whatever it is) and sometimes following through may help.

fajarbira

fajarbira

they/them
Mar 9, 2023
This one's such a complicated one to answer; every person's way out is different, unique, and only applicable to themselves. A qualified therapist & psychiatrist can help you. Do you live in a country that has public healthcare for mental health? If not, there's also free suicide prevention & mental health help hotlines in your country/province that may be able to direct you to resources.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
This is an illness - the brain degenerates in depression. It's not your fault.

I wish I had answers. For motivation, try Modafinil. Tramadol. LSD. If you are not on incompatible meds, St Johns Wort.

I am fatigued atm and going to get SJW. A big dose of one particular brand seems to help atm.
OP have you tried medication? It could make a difference, you could be a lucky one
OP have you tried medication? It could make a difference, you could be a lucky one

Last edited:
Viranamari

Viranamari

A Future Corpse
Feb 22, 2023
It really depends on what is making you depressed. Maybe your parents died or your loved ones have died or maybe you experienced a trauma. However, if there is something wrong with you brain chemistry, there isn't much you can fo about it other than taking antidepressants. If they aren't working, you need to tell your psychiatrist so that they can prescribe you a more suitable one.
I hope this helps.

LazyDepression

LazyDepression

Dead Inside
Mar 9, 2023
I my self suffer from this and i get that its hard, i struggle every day i dont know if it will help but find something to distract yourself with
i use anime to pull away from reality alot i read as well. i always try to never be alone its dangerous to be left alone with your thoughts.
get a job if you have not got one make sure its not filled with toxic people maybe try getting out with people who boost your mood
maybe try wrighting or drawing anything artsy. i dont know if this will help but i hope it will.

UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Get a life. I don't think there's any other way.
Don't mean at all to be harsh. Just my unfiltered opinion :hug:

U

User200

Jan 20, 2019
You might be going through grief stages . When your missing the good times so nothing feels right anymore . Can't really fast forward just endure it but maybe it can be sped up somehow. When you get to the final stage you'll start getting the relief you need to get back in nice mental state . When you get there you'll have enough energy to start that fire again go walks and do Al the healthy stuff.

It's really about alchemy ( live in the present moment ) and it's impossible to do when your brain tels u u got a million problems to deal with and don't know where to start

It's like having dark sunglasses on where everything is dull. Worse part is you can't match people's vibes and enegies so it feels lonely af.

Try to work on dopamine I guess. Not a great fan of meds but Ritalin helped me so much . Gave me loads of strength ,motivation , and energy to live decent.

Gloom

Gloom

Autistic Dumbass
Sep 20, 2020
anti-depressants aren't helping me either. due to the nature of depression there are less neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin. neurotransmitters communicate with the body to tell it to move or perform any task, but because we lack in those it makes everything so difficult. this is why depression is linked to memory loss and poor concentration. This is a legitimate illness

In terms of advice, the times where I've felt the least suicidal and depressed was having well thought out values and reading about philosophical ideas and how maybe I could apply some to my life. that's not to say that's a permanent solution but it makes life much less overwhelming and I'm feeling less guilty about being depressed loser. even though I have nothing to live for and i crave love and care, I've still convinced myself that's fine for now and it will be dealt with in due time.

• Informative
Reactions: Sulyya