nembutal

nembutal

everything will be okay in the end
Jul 14, 2022
my mother equates me living at home at 21 to failure, but i don't know where i would go if i weren't living with her. no steady income, and every one seems to be struggling with finances nowadays. seems more logical to stay at home and save funds. not to mention crippling si

if you live with parents how old are you and how do they feel about it?

and if you don't, how were you able to work for your own place under crushing suicidal intent?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: voltage268, juna, ColorlessTrees and 15 others
M

mrtime87

Experienced
Jul 9, 2024
I'm 38 and living with my mother, but I consider myself a failure that's moved in and out several times during my life.

• Hugs
Reactions: juna, Reticent Being, cali22♡ and 5 others
-nobodyknows-

-nobodyknows-

Experienced
Jun 16, 2024
I do, but it's more because I'm a student and housing is expensive where I live.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: juna, lynnschronicles, mistymoo and 2 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I am 30 and live with my mom and younger sisters but I also live in a city where housing is stupidly expensive so it's not like I could move out easily.

• Hugs
Reactions: juna, Reticent Being, mistymoo and 2 others
Blackpepperpancake

Blackpepperpancake

Help me to breathe
Nov 22, 2023
I'm almost 30 and still living with my parents. When I was employed I was depressed the same as right now. It doesn't go away whether you have a job or not, you live somewhere else or at parents house. It doesn't matter, the suicidal thought will be with you all the time

• Hugs
Reactions: juna, Praestat_Mori and whywere
nembutal

nembutal

everything will be okay in the end
Jul 14, 2022
I'm almost 30 and still living with my parents. When I was employed I was depressed the same as right now. It doesn't go away whether you have a job or not, you live somewhere else or at parents house. It doesn't matter, the suicidal thought will be with you all the time
the only reason i mentioned a job is because it's another bullet point on my parent's long list of things i need to harness to be considered successful

• Hugs
Reactions: juna, LoiteringClouds, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
Blackpepperpancake

Blackpepperpancake

Help me to breathe
Nov 22, 2023
the only reason i mentioned a job is because it's another bullet point on my parent's long list of things i need to harness to be considered successful
I truly understand your reason. Parents always expect a lot from their children, often times it drives me crazy since we are living under the same roof everyday. It's toxic

• Hugs
Reactions: juna, Praestat_Mori and whywere
Forest Fire

Forest Fire

Student
Jul 19, 2019
35 and live with my parents. They haven't specifically expressed that i am a burden to them in the last ten years or so but i can't remember the last time my presence made them happy and they will never miss an opportunity to let me know i've done something wrong, however minor it is. They were like this with my brother too before he moved out years ago. i imagine they would rather me not live with them if they had the choice.
My step dad is one of those that doesn't believe in mental health so even though i am diagnosed with cptsd and have some severe physical problems, he acts as though the way i live is because i'm lazy and i can tell that he doesn't like me or want me around.
My mum can't fully accept what is wrong with me either as she is inadvertently responsible for some of my problems and she's one of them that is always right in every situation.
I do my best to stay out of their way, make she they don't have to clean up after me in anyway and always pay my rent on time as i have always had a job (although it's only part time). I don't earn enough to get my own place and would have next to no social interractions with anybody as i have no friends.
Funnily enough i'm still here because of what it would do to them if i ctb, but if i were to move out and only see them briefly once a year with no contact inbetween they would be happier. Got to laugh sometimes!

• Hugs
Reactions: voltage268, WantThisToEnd, lizzywizzy09 and 2 others
C

Cute_&_Loving

I like trinkets:)
May 10, 2023
37 and never lived alone. The embodiment and definition of a failure

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: juna, DrearyAsh348, waiting93 and 4 others
SteamaHorns

SteamaHorns

Aug 2, 2024
Turning 21 soon and I still live with my family. When I was younger I had always dreamed of getting away from them and living happily by myself, which is funny because it might never happen. I don't really want to get to the point where I'm in the later ages and am still dependent on other people with no hope of one day being able to live by myself. This problem is due to my own personal problems though as in my eyes, most people in this kind of situation have a very conceivable possibility of getting out of their rut.

• Hugs
Reactions: juna, hoppybunny, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
LittleMoose

LittleMoose

~When I die, I'll keep the angels by your side~
Aug 2, 2024
I'm 25 and I still live with my parents. My mom loves it, and I'm sure my dad would prefer I didn't live there. I'd like to move out, but it's very expensive to live on your own now, so I haven't been able to afford it. Still living with your parents doesn't make you a failure, you're barely a real adult yet.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: juna, lynnschronicles, mistymoo and 2 others
Imagined_Euphoria

Imagined_Euphoria

Student
Aug 5, 2024
I do. But I also have not really a choice, I don't have a job and can't afford my own place.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: juna, lynnschronicles, whywere and 1 other person
fleetingnight

fleetingnight

incapable of shutting up
May 2, 2024
I can't imagine moving out in this economy. And believe me, I want to.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: juna, lynnschronicles, mistymoo and 4 others
lovedread

lovedread

hell is other people
Jan 2, 2020
Yes

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: lynnschronicles, DrearyAsh348, LifeQuitter and 2 others
R

rory0606

Jun 13, 2024
Yes i do

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: lynnschronicles, Praestat_Mori and whywere
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
my mother equates me living at home at 21 to failure, but i don't know where i would go if i weren't living with her. no steady income, and every one seems to be struggling with finances nowadays. seems more logical to stay at home and save funds. not to mention crippling si

and if you don't, how were you able to work for your own place under crushing suicidal intent?
19, student in the fall. They're happy with it but I know if/when I hit 25 my mum'd start really pushing me to skedaddle. I'd definitely be out by 28-ish. My dad might let me crash a bit longer but if he remarries things would change

I'm hoping to be dead long before I have to worry about all that

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: juna, permanently tired, Mafaalu and 4 others
Steff1337

Steff1337

Autistic and schizophrenic, please be respectful
Jun 21, 2024
I'm 28 and live with my mother simply because I'm too disabled to live on my own.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: juna, lynnschronicles, mediocre and 2 others
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
When I turned 18 back in 1974, the next morning after my birthday, my "parents" had my clothes in a black plastic bag, drove me to town, dropped me off on a street curb, drove away and never saw them again in my life. 100% their choice, so I had no choice ever.

Started adulthood with no money, no food, no shelter and no job.

Walter

• Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: voltage268, WantThisToEnd, juna and 16 others
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I'm 47 and live with my mum. I've had health problems since the age of 18 which held me back a bit. Also dad died when I was about 21 so we kind of keep each other company. I did move out for a year to study at uni and it was a pretty happy time for me, I loved my independence and the friends I made. Probably will carry on living with my mum for the foreseeable future now.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, Praestat_Mori, lynnschronicles and 4 others
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I'm 47 and live with my mum. I've had health problems since the age of 18 which held me back a bit. Also dad died when I was about 21 so we kind of keep each other company. I did move out for a year to study at uni and it was a pretty happy time for me, I loved my independence and the friends I made. Probably will carry on living with my mum for the foreseeable future now.
FANTASTIC! I never ever had "parents" and to be able to connect the generations is just wonderful!

I would have loved to be able to visit and/or talk with my "parents", but alas it was not to be.

You have a great family and be proud that you can get a hug and talk with your mom.

Have a great weekend and have a meal together and enjoy each other's company.

Walter

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: voltage268, Praestat_Mori, BrainShower and 2 others
Somebody

Somebody

The Answer is 42
Feb 16, 2021
I'm 27 and still live with my mom. The house is about 10min drive to work, and its way to big for one person.
Still, I want to move out eventually, because I feel its deteriorating my mental health.
I feel stuck and my life is going nowhere.

If I met someone who wanted to share the expenses, and we got along, I would definitely move out.
If any of you want to come to the midwest let me know lol

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and lynnschronicles
Grimpoteuthis

Grimpoteuthis

Your deep sea friend
Jul 1, 2023
I came from an eastern asian background and it is pretty normal for adults to live with parents. Right now I am living with housemates for college, but I always go back home for summer.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: juna, Praestat_Mori, lynnschronicles and 4 others
E

eternalsunshine23

Mar 13, 2024
I'm 24. She has barely taught me anything about the outside world. I don't know how to drive. No GED. She always tells me that I won't ever make it on my own in life. Maybe she's right.

• Hugs
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: juna, Praestat_Mori, lynnschronicles and 4 others
lonely&trapped.

lonely&trapped.

I rather would be just a face in a crowd
Mar 22, 2024
Yes, my mom and my sister often tell me I am lazy because I've became depressed and sleep a lot. I will move out someday, but I'm going to CTB regardless; im only really moving out so I can get away from my family.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: juna, Praestat_Mori, lynnschronicles and 3 others
hoppybunny

hoppybunny

Fearer of the Future
Jun 26, 2024
Turning 21 soon. I still live with my parents but I'm from Africa and it's normal to stay with your parents till your married. But it's also normal to be married at my age lol. So my parents don't think I'm a failure but they do make sure to remind me that I should be married with kids right now whenever they're mad.

I love my parents but living with them is killing me but also I really am not built for this whole being alive thing. I hate being awake. I hate leaving my house, I hate having a schedule. Genuinely if given the chance I would become a permanent shut in.

I'll probably move out to see of my mental health will improve but I have about 6 months of forcing myself to go outside before I can get a remote job and stay home forever.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: whywere, Praestat_Mori, lynnschronicles and 2 others
Jon Arbuckle

Jon Arbuckle

Aspiring Corpse
Jul 23, 2024

21, still live with my parents. my parents don't consider me a failure yet but I do. it's easier for them to give support this way at least.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and CatLvr
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
When I turned 18 back in 1974, the next morning after my birthday, my "parents" had my clothes in a black plastic bag, drove me to town, dropped me off on a street curb, drove away and never saw them again in my life. 100% their choice, so I had no choice ever.

Started adulthood with no money, no food, no shelter and no job.

Walter
That happened to my best friend, though it was less harsh. he's air force now. I hope he can find a place once he's out

I'm sorry that happened to you, Walter. For what it's worth, I'm glad you stuck around long enough to be here. Having older folks around is relaxing somehow; makes it feel a bit more homey, I suppose. Though I do have to resist the urge to call you sir sometimes 😆

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, BrainShower and CatLvr
endlessmelancholy

endlessmelancholy

Jun 12, 2024
I'm 31 and I live with my parents. It's pretty common in india. I'm good living this way.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: voltage268, juna, markimobzzdeasui and 6 others
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I'm 19 and I still live with parents. This is due to two reasons. First reason is that, because of my autism, I don't have the skills or desire to ever be independent. Second reason is that I'm an asian and most asian parents tend to not get rid of their child as soon as they are 18. Also, my parents don't consider me as a failure yet as I'm going through university just fine

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, sugarb, jar-baby and 2 others
mistymoo

mistymoo

Im going to be apart of the 27 club
May 30, 2024
I'm 27 and I live with my parents still. My dad works full time a to support us while my mother sponges off of him. My mother is 'stay at home mom' even tho I'm the youngest lmfao.

Before the pandemic I was going to school full time and working part time. That legitimately almost killed me. My parents (mostly dad) nursed me back to health. He would leave work and speed back to which ever town I was in to be with me in the hospital. My mother never even tried to showed up.

Now that I'm "better" I'm going to school full time and they're okay with me still living with them. My dad understands the housing market.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, GuessWhosBack and whywere