All Things Must Pass

All Things Must Pass

Mage
Apr 14, 2021
I know @Cupcake is one, and that account is almost as old as this site.

What are the things SS could improve on to be more accessible?

Last edited:
Reactions: poisonedminds
AQUA

AQUA

Headstone
Dec 2, 2020
Not meaning to be the elephant in the room, but... how would someone blind read this post??

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

RockBot

RockBot

A Mole Sitting in a Hole
Jun 6, 2020
With text to speech I believe. It's been around for many many years.

Reactions: lanax09, All Things Must Pass and motel rooms
C

Cupcake

Student
Apr 8, 2018
I know @Cupcake is one, and that account is almost as old as this site.

What are the things SS could improve on to be more accessible?
Hey, thanks for this thread! It looks like I'm the only visually impaired person on here, after all! I've been wondering about this myself, but never posted a thread about it.

To answer your question about site accessibility, SS is pretty accessible. It took a while for me to figure out how to navigate on here, but once I did, it's pretty straight forward. The only big pain in the ass is when I'm trying to PM members on here. For some reason, the recipient box won't remember the person that I put in the text box, so I have to do it repeatedly until the message finally sends because it somehow gets erased. Also, when I am replying to a message and tab on the reply button, it doesn't send the message, so I have to hit shift tab to go back and then tab for reply again, and then I get this weird pop up on my screen telling me that an error occured and that I need to type in a valid message. But then I find out the message actually sent, so I have learned to just ignore the message.

That also happens with the recipient box. I write in their name, and I keep getting the pop up thing saying that I must write a valid recipient. even though I already did and it just keeps erasing itself.
Somehow, I've figured out how to get new conversations to work, but it's complicated and I haven't started a new conversation in a while because of it, so I can't tell you how I do it, only that it's a real pain in the ass, so once a convo is started, I generally reply to the same message, even if it's months old and several pages long, haha!! Replying to messages is ok, it's starting new convos that really sucks!
To the other member who is wondering how I can read posts on here, I use a screen reader called Jaws. It reads all text on the screen, and I use the arrow keys to navigate. Jaws is used with all only keyboard commands. There is no speech involved on my end, only on my computer's end.

And yeah, I know my account is ancient. Survival instinct is a bitch, and so is bipolar. One day I'm feeling on top of the world, the next everything sucks. So yeah, who knows when I'll finally get the fuck out of here, haha! I've got methods, though, which I find comforting. I can truly go anytime, which is really nice, and I wouldn't have had this luxury if SS didn't exist, so I am very grateful for this place and all the lovely SS family I've met on here.

Love always,

Cupcake
Hey, thanks for this thread! It looks like I'm the only visually impaired person on here, after all! I've been wondering about this myself, but never posted a thread about it.

To answer your question about site accessibility, SS is pretty accessible. It took a while for me to figure out how to navigate on here, but once I did, it's pretty straight forward. The only big pain in the ass is when I'm trying to PM members on here. For some reason, the recipient box won't remember the person that I put in the text box, so I have to do it repeatedly until the message finally sends because it somehow gets erased. Also, when I am replying to a message and tab on the reply button, it doesn't send the message, so I have to hit shift tab to go back and then tab for reply again, and then I get this weird pop up on my screen telling me that an error occured and that I need to type in a valid message. But then I find out the message actually sent, so I have learned to just ignore the message.

That also happens with the recipient box. I write in their name, and I keep getting the pop up thing saying that I must write a valid recipient. even though I already did and it just keeps erasing itself.
Somehow, I've figured out how to get new conversations to work, but it's complicated and I haven't started a new conversation in a while because of it, so I can't tell you how I do it, only that it's a real pain in the ass, so once a convo is started, I generally reply to the same message, even if it's months old and several pages long, haha!! Replying to messages is ok, it's starting new convos that really sucks!
To the other member who is wondering how I can read posts on here, I use a screen reader called Jaws. It reads all text on the screen, and I use the arrow keys to navigate. Jaws is used with all only keyboard commands. There is no speech involved on my end, only on my computer's end.

And yeah, I know my account is ancient. Survival instinct is a bitch, and so is bipolar. One day I'm feeling on top of the world, the next everything sucks. So yeah, who knows when I'll finally get the fuck out of here, haha! I've got methods, though, which I find comforting. I can truly go anytime, which is really nice, and I wouldn't have had this luxury if SS didn't exist, so I am very grateful for this place and all the lovely SS family I've met on here.

Love always,

Cupcake
Oh yeah, and I get the same pop up when I reply to threads, such as this one, telling me to write a vallid message, even though the message is already there. I just hit escape, and the post goes through, but damn, when I first signed up, I was like WTF, I DID write a vallid message. And replying to a thread doesn't work right away. Same thing where I go to post reply and it says nothing at first, so I have to shift tab to go back and then I get that write a vallid message thing, and then it finally works.

Don't ask me why this happens, I've just learned to live with it.

There are far more pros with SS than cons, so I don't bitch. Like I said, I'm just grateful this place exists at all.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: RainAndSadness, whywere, All Things Must Pass and 1 other person
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
With text to speech I believe. It's been around for many many years.
Wouldn't completely blind people still struggle? Like @Cupcake said
It took a while for me to figure out how to navigate on here
I just can't get past, if they can't see the screen in the first place how do they know what they're clicking/where the mouse (the arrow on the screen) is located?

It would be cool if there is/was some software you can download that tells you. Slightly annoying to non blind people probably but I'm sure the blind would appreciate it.
(keeping in mind I'm not blind so I can only guess) The idea I'm thinking is they can randomly move their mouse around and it will tell them if they're off the screen or voice things the mouse is over. " it says..... Do you want to click...." something like that.

Rayzieka

Rayzieka

Not Really Here
Apr 28, 2021
Though Id consider my sight pretty good I do have bad cataracts in both eyes and other vision issues/abnormalities.
I've been told if both of my eyes were as bad as the left I'd be considered legally blind.
But I guess that's just all I've ever known so maybe there's a world I've never seen.