nihilistic_dragon

nihilistic_dragon

Student
Aug 6, 2024
For me it was over 30 years. I've had a pretty shitty life and until this day I keep hearing "it gets better" except that I no longer believe it. If anything, it keeps getting worse and worse. How about you, do you still believe this lie?

• Hugs
Reactions: Loona6546645, archiveofpain, Mateira and 9 others
兎の耳

兎の耳

The ghost of a girl who never lived.
Aug 3, 2023
It does get better. Sometimes. For some people. Temporarily.

The thing is even if you win the lottery and all your stresses are gone and you depression is magically cured and every void in your life is filled satisfactorily you are still going to die. You will still experience grief. Eventually everything you love will be taken from you and you will suffer and cease to exist. That's the reality of life. Everyone's life is a tragedy, it just plays out more quickly for some.

Reactions: Gstreater, tojifushiguro, Kitsin and 17 others
nihilistic_dragon

nihilistic_dragon

Student
Aug 6, 2024

The thing is even if you win the lottery and all your stresses are gone and you depression is magically cured and every void in your life is filled satisfactorily you are still going to die. You will still experience grief. Eventually everything you love will be taken from you and you will suffer and cease to exist. That's the reality of life. Everyone's life is a tragedy, it just plays out more quickly for some.
Yes that's true. I guess it all comes down how you view life and your circumstances - if you take a reductionist approach and focus on the little things then yes, this and that thing may get better at some point. But if you take a more "whole"-istic approach then you will see that as a whole, life is shit haha.

Reactions: GoatHerder and DrearyAsh348
RoadToGehenna

RoadToGehenna

Aug 7, 2024

Although few people are fortunate to go sorrounded by their loved ones and with a decent life behind them, your last phrase is very true and beautiful in a sense. I guess that the most powerful flames tend to burn out quickly.

Reactions: frost_ and divinemistress36
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
When I realised that everything in this life is fabricated, that's when I stopped caring so much. It's all a game, and the game is fixed!

Reactions: Loona6546645, charcoalcat, GoatHerder and 6 others
SoulWhisperer

SoulWhisperer

Careless Soul « MtF »
Nov 13, 2023
Age 15 or something I realised that not everyone succeeds in life. All it took was seeing my uncle as example, stories as example. As sad as it sounds just because some become successful doesn't mean everyone will be. There's always gonna be someone above you and someone below you.

It can better, sure. But stop fucking telling anyone "it gets better" as of some sort of absolute truth. It's a lazy statement.

Reactions: frost_, ijustwishtodie, GoatHerder and 3 others
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I never thought that things would get better

• Hugs
Reactions: malevolentdiety, Ironborn, ijustwishtodie and 5 others
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
It was over 30 years for me. More like 38. I've never experienced this "phenomena" of things getting better, aside from recovering from minor illnesses like colds and flu. As far as life getting better as it moves along? Nope.

• Hugs
Reactions: landslide2
U

ultrasharpy123456

Wizard
Aug 18, 2022
Well that's the thing. It's not actually a lie. You have to make it better. And that's something no one wants to hear. You have to force yourself to do the right things and all that. Some people don't really have a choice though.

Reactions: TapeMachine, malevolentdiety and Hotsackage
nihilistic_dragon

nihilistic_dragon

Student
Aug 6, 2024
It was over 30 years for me. More like 38. I've never experienced this "phenomena" of things getting better, aside from recovering from minor illnesses like colds and flu. As far as life getting better as it moves along? Nope.
Haha exactly. Unfortunately, life is not a gigantic flu. It's more like cancer with an occasional stroke that paralyzes you just in case simply cancer wasn't enough.

Reactions: divinemistress36 and locked*n*loaded
Imagined_Euphoria

Imagined_Euphoria

Student
Aug 5, 2024
When I was 16 or 17, thats the last time I believed in these slogans, for a short time. I'm 22 now and wish I could have got a gun back then when I was 14 or 15, would have been better to end it back then instead of living through all of this. But I'm a fucking coward and write here everyday instead of doing it. I don't know whats wrong with me (besides autism). I feel like two personalities.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: archiveofpain, ropeburns&migranes, GoatHerder and 2 others
nihilistic_dragon

nihilistic_dragon

Student
Aug 6, 2024
When I was 16 or 17, thats the last time I believed in these slogans, for a short time. I'm 22 now and wish I could have got a gun back then when I was 14 or 15, would have been better to end it back then instead of living through all of this. But I'm a fucking coward and write here everyday instead of doing it. I don't know whats wrong with me (besides autism). I feel like two personalities.
I think it may be just the stupid survival instinct.

• Love
Reactions: ropeburns&migranes, divinemistress36 and Imagined_Euphoria
Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Student
Mar 18, 2024
I'm 60 years old, I'm still hoping it gets better, but I'm quickly running out of patience. Won't take much of a blip to put me over the top and fully give up all hope.

• Hugs
Reactions: ropeburns&migranes, GuessWhosBack, nihilistic_dragon and 1 other person
abchia

abchia

Student
Aug 28, 2023
When I realized no one really knows me. "It gets better" means nothing when they don't know what I've been through and what goes on in my head every day. It's just something they say to feel good about themselves, thinking they've solved the problem

• Love
Reactions: Zhendou, Mateira, lizzywizzy09 and 4 others
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
But I'm a fucking coward and write here everyday instead of doing it. I don't know whats wrong with me (besides autism). I feel like two personalities.
You are not a coward just because you can't seem to go through with "it" right now. That makes you exactly like the rest of us. It makes you human. It's freaking hard to kill yourself. You have to reach the lowest of the low points in your life. Any and all hope for better days has to be extinguished. It can even seem like you're at the lowest point in your life, but you're just not. If you ever get there, you'll know it. In the meantime you can just hang around and commiserate with the rest of us. Are we that bad?

• Love
Reactions: TapeMachine, vampire2002, ropeburns&migranes and 4 others
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
It does get better for some people but some people it doesnt . Ive been hearing this shit for 6 years now

Reactions: Ironborn, MatrixPrisoner, abchia and 1 other person
DeathSleep

DeathSleep

Unstable Potato
May 25, 2023
When I realized no one really knows me. "It gets better" means nothing when they don't know what I've been through and what goes on in my head every day. It's just something they say to feel good about themselves, thinking they've solved the problem
I totally agree.
They just don't want to think about the people it does get worse for. Or get to know a person enough to see why they feel the way they do. That would be too much work for them so it's simplified into a little hopeful saying which has lost it's power because it's overused and not very understanding. It's inconvenient for others to spend their energy to actually try to understand another person. I have found that most people don't bother to relate to others at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: divinemistress36 and abchia
Imagined_Euphoria

Imagined_Euphoria

Student
Aug 5, 2024
You are not a coward just because you can't seem to go through with "it" right now. That makes you exactly like the rest of us. It makes you human. It's freaking hard to kill yourself. You have to reach the lowest of the low points in your life. Any and all hope for better days has to be extinguished. It can even seem like you're at the lowest point in your life, but you're just not. If you ever get there, you'll know it. In the meantime you can just hang around and commiserate with the rest of us. Are we that bad?
Well said. Thanks

endofline2010

endofline2010

Aug 8, 2024
IDK about "it gets better", but there was a period where I kept getting better - smarter, fitter, sharper. While that's happening, life does tend to get better for most of us. Then that stops, and so does the whole "it gets better" part.

But at least career-wise, most of us did experience an "it gets better" period from 2021-early 2023.

Reactions: divinemistress36
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
For me it was over 30 years. I've had a pretty shitty life and until this day I keep hearing "it gets better" except that I no longer believe it. If anything, it keeps getting worse and worse. How about you, do you still believe this lie?
Good question. I'm not sure I've ever thought to myself "that's correct! I just need to struggle on because it gets better!". For most of my life I just completely dismissed or wasn't aware of CTB; I think because I was less cognizant of it even being an option, if that makes sense.

I generally just did things because I was told to or they felt good/right, so my suffering was always just a "right now things suck, man this is terrible, I should change my behavior so it stops happening or something". I either didn't realize or refused to mentally acknowledge that dying could prevent me from suffering in any way ever again and I wasn't really aware at the time how bad things could actually get, let alone that they would most likely continue getting worse indefinitely. I think the only sustained "better" period in my life was maybe 4th-5th grade; no bullying, a few friends, no puberty, pretty much out of SPED, social skills lined up approximately with my peers. Since then, pretty solid downward slide.

B

brokeandbroken

Elementalist
Apr 18, 2023
My life was relatively shitty. And it was a constant it gets better... insert my story. How I spent my life trying to help people and then found myself needing help because I was the victim of a life altering crime. Only to be given none. I went from medical school president of the oncology research group... learning amd working towards taking away people's cancer to homeless in a year. None of it was my fault. Honestly if I can't get help or illicit peoples empathy. I just don't believe it exists.

No one will hire me either. With my debt I feel like the world just finds it funnier and likes to see me suffer in complete and object poverty.

• Hugs
Reactions: Malfunction and nihilistic_dragon
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
For me "it gets better" isn't a lie, but "it gets worse" is something I have had to learn. I wish both were common sayings

C

catmanandrobin

Jul 25, 2024
I'm 40 and my life has only been getting worse over the years with no reason to believe things can turn around. The problems just keep stacking up and I'm getting buried deeper and deeper. The likelihood of things improving is diminishing with time. People like to say these things because it sounds good and they think it helps.

• Hugs
Reactions: nihilistic_dragon and GoatHerder
3/4Dead

3/4Dead

Peace, Love, Empathy
Feb 27, 2024
I know some other people have said this in the thread already but I don't think it's entirely a lie, I think for some people it truly does get better, and everyone should give things that chance (assuming the primary issue isn't something uncurable/life ending) before deciding it's over. How long one gives it is up to them but for some people it for sure gets better.

I don't know how true this is for me yet. Currently leaning in agreement with you OP, that it's not going to, that this is just how life is.

Reactions: nihilistic_dragon
yxmux

yxmux

¥~¥
Apr 16, 2024
It gets better until it doesn't. I remember when I used to think CTBing would never be a logical choice because the thoughts would wither away at some point when I recover. I was quite naive back then.

Reactions: nihilistic_dragon
nihilistic_dragon

nihilistic_dragon

Student
Aug 6, 2024
IDK about "it gets better", but there was a period where I kept getting better - smarter, fitter, sharper. While that's happening, life does tend to get better for most of us. Then that stops, and so does the whole "it gets better" part.

But at least career-wise, most of us did experience an "it gets better" period from 2021-early 2023.
I can somewhat relate. There was a time when I was really growing as a person. But even then, when most of the growth was done, something was amiss. I had always been excited about life lessons and learning and growing. But got to the point where I was just so tired of all that and the thought of going through another "life lesson" was exhausting, because while my body and personality were improving, my life wasn't. That was the beginning of me becoming a nihilist. I was religious at the time but couldn't help wondering if life truly has any meaning as that religion claims.
Good question. I'm not sure I've ever thought to myself "that's correct! I just need to struggle on because it gets better!". For most of my life I just completely dismissed or wasn't aware of CTB; I think because I was less cognizant of it even being an option, if that makes sense.

I generally just did things because I was told to or they felt good/right, so my suffering was always just a "right now things suck, man this is terrible, I should change my behavior so it stops happening or something". I either didn't realize or refused to mentally acknowledge that dying could prevent me from suffering in any way ever again and I wasn't really aware at the time how bad things could actually get, let alone that they would most likely continue getting worse indefinitely. I think the only sustained "better" period in my life was maybe 4th-5th grade; no bullying, a few friends, no puberty, pretty much out of SPED, social skills lined up approximately with my peers. Since then, pretty solid downward slide.
I think I know what you mean. When I was a kid, I wasn't suicidal but I was getting depressed because of the toxic environment I was in. But I remember one day I was standing by the window and my mother was just screaming at me hysterically. And I still remember thinking - wtf did you even give birth to me if you're treating me like this? So I screamed back - if you keep shouting at me, I will jump through this window. She screamed that I was welcomed to jump because the devil was waiting for me right down there lmao. And that I would only break my bones because it's only the 3rd floor.

I didn't jump because I knew she was right. Not about the devil part of course but about it being only the 3rd floor. For some time after this, I contemplated going to a tall building and jumping off from the rooftop. But like you said, I don't know if I really considered it a valid option at that time. I think I was just too jaded, to small, too busy trying to survive because that was what everyone was doing, idk.

Like someone else commented here, you really have to hit the rock bottom to decide to ctb. And a 9-yeard old me just hadn't hit it yet. It took so many years for me to finally hit it.
I'm 40 and my life has only been getting worse over the years with no reason to believe things can turn around. The problems just keep stacking up and I'm getting buried deeper and deeper. The likelihood of things improving is diminishing with time. People like to say these things because it sounds good and they think it helps.
Same. There comes a time when it just becomes too late to turn things around. For example, to try to remedy my situation it would literally take several decades. And what is the point when you're not 19 anymore and don't have much time left anyway? And I agree, people just feel like they need to say something so they say some bullshit and feel good about themselves for saying it.

Last edited:
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I was about to say "basically immediately" to sound cool but, in actuality, I never ever thought that things would get better. When I was a kid, despite having a shitty childhood, I knew that things would get worse and worse as I get older. I don't understand how anybody believes that things can get better when adulthood is far more hellish and cruel than childhood. Where's the "better" in having to become a wage slave for a few decades and then painfully dying through old age? I don't see the "better" in that. I only see pain and hell

Last edited:
Reactions: frost_ and sserafim
nihilistic_dragon

nihilistic_dragon

Student
Aug 6, 2024
I was about to say "basically immediately" to sound cool but, in actuality, I never ever thought that things would get better. When I was a kid, despite having a shorry childhood, I knew that things would get worse and worse as I get older. I don't understand how anybody believes that things can get better when adulthood is far more hellish and cruel than childhood. Where's the "better" in having to become a wage slave for a few decades and then painfully dying through old age? I don't see the "better" in that. I only see pain and hell
I know what you mean. But in my case I was brainwashed into being religious since childhood and so for many years all I heard was "trust god", "god will help you", "god will fix all your problems". I wish I had realized sooner those were just lies they told us to keep us around.

• Informative
Reactions: ijustwishtodie
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
For me "it gets better" isn't a lie, but "it gets worse" is something I have had to learn. I wish both were common sayings
"It gets worse" will never become a common saying due to optimism bias and Pollyanna syndrome

Reactions: Abyssal and ijustwishtodie
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I know what you mean. But in my case I was brainwashed into being religious since childhood and so for many years all I heard was "trust god", "god will help you", "god will fix all your problems". I wish I had realized sooner those were just lies they told us to keep us around.
I was also indoctrinated by religion but I got out of it pretty quickly. I quickly realised that religion is bullshit. When I was religious, I never relied on god though or thought that god would make things better